• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

I‘m on iOS 11 with my 6+.
Lots of freezes and crashes I never had before. Very disappointing. It‘s not the Apple-mantra „It just works“ anymore, but more and more some kind of clunky experience.

jiiikoo

Banned
Ever since the public beta I've been really happy with iOS 11. A few minor hiccups in the beta, but besides those, nothing.

Vuze

Yah, it’s pretty janky, especially shocking that it’s not completely smooth sailing on the 8 devices either. But that applies to the new macOS and tvOS as well. Not sure whether they got bigger plans coming up with next years updates so they focus more resources on that or if they just dropped the ball this year.

No deal breaking issues on my end but the lack of polish is apparent.

jet1911

Battery life seems a lot shorter since I’ve switched to iOS11. Also the bluetooth turns itself on everytime I get in my car. Pretty annoying.

Yeah, i'm not updating this OS yet. Phone is working really well since i bought it and that will probably change because of the update. Nice new features but maybe i don't really need them.
At best, i will wait a few updates on this iOS. But i probably won't update at all.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Absolutely dreadful on my iPhone 6. The UI lag means typing is practically impossible and apps take forever to load.

And for some reason it keeps wanting to turn on Personal Hotspot which was just great when my Wi-Fi went down at home without me knowing and my iPad Pro decided to seamlessly connect to my phone and burn through my data allowance.

It seems to be fine on my iPad Pro although app loading transitions are really slow and the dock takes ages to pop up on the home screen. These appear to be design decisions rather than a lack of grunt.

DonShula

Fine on my iPad mini 4. Basically kneecapped my 6 Plus.

I upgraded my 6 Plus so I could use Apple Watch - it was “OK” before that. Then I returned my Apple Watch and now I’m stuck with a crappy phone.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This nightmare of an operating system update turned my 6S+ phone from everyday convenience to an episode of Jackass - "what crazy thing are you gonna do next?!"

So far:
freezing when switching apps
texting lags
completely locks up when doing the most mundane things
music got completely deleted twice
took a photo of a celebrity this weekend and the rest of my photos were all deleted
alarm stopped working - hard reset fixes this for only a day or two

Bonus: I went to use iTunes backup restore and for the first time ever it is prompting me for an encryption password that I don't recall ever setting and apparently this is a known thing iTunes for PC does. I caved in and paid for their iCloud service because it couldn't support backing up my phone to it - so on top of all of this nonsense, I am now paying them an extra $12 a year so I don't lose my stuff. Legitimized ransomware.

Not the quality I associate with Apple products, may as well switch to Android. Joining the public beta for 11.1 to see if that helps.

cackhyena

6 here. Don't notice any performance improvements, but battery is actually better now. Overall it's a worthwhile upgrade. Control Center alone was a nice enough upgrade for me.

dorn.

I get rotation issues and slighty worse battery life (subjective) on my iPad Pro 10.5, iPhone 6 is slow as hell and the battery is toast (though it has been for a while, it just got a little worse). Definitely one of the lesser iOS updates imo.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I get rotation issues and slighty worse battery life (subjective) on my iPad Pro 10.5, iPhone 6 is slow as hell and the battery is toast (though it has been for a while, it just got a little worse). Definitely one of the lesser iOS updates imo.

Same thing for me. Rotation issues and my iPhone 7 has died twice now overnight even though I have battery saver on basically 24/7 because my battery life is so atrocious. I've had other issues as well, including apps locking up, I'm just shocked at the lack of polish on this update.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think I may have some mild jank with rotation on an iphone 7.

other than that, totally unnoticeable and unimpressive update like every other iOS update.

pronk420

I've had weird issues with it temporarily freezing that never used to happen (6S). It even makes podcast/music playback glitch sometimes, just when pressing the home button or opening an app.

It becomes unresponsive to input, but still updates the screen, when doing things that didn't seem to be stretching the processor before. Even just refreshing the podcasts feed in Castro freezes the whole thing for a long time, but if I hit home it goes back to the home screen no problem.

Also updating apps is now a nightmare, it makes the whole thing practically unusable while it is doing it, and even the app store update page goes crazy and doesn't properly show progress.

Ultima_5

Who ever redesigned the podcast app clearly has never listened to a podcast or hates people who do. It’s easily the worst version I’ve seen. I think it’s time I switch over to overcast or whatever it’s caled

D6AMIA6N

6+

I agree with OP, and have experienced all of the issues listed. Needs work, or, I need a new iPhone

The most annoying issue I get is the spinning pinwheel in the status bar which renders the phone unresponsive to any input. Not sure what it's doing when this happens, but connected to WiFi.

For example, on WiFi last night, streaming HBO. Show suddenly freezes, and I cannot reopen the app after double tap and quitting. Have to hard restart phone, then it resumes playing normally.

old

Do you mean scrubbing? If so, 3D Touch / Long Touch on the player widget in control center for an expanded interface including the scrubbing bar. Alternately, pull down from the top to open Notification Center for scrubbing controls while something is playing.

Oh thanks

bionic77

Wow. Horrible OS release it sounds like.

I am going to upgrade from 6S to 7 or 8 in a week or two. Hope to avoid these problems.

Fucking Apple get your shit together.

At least iOS gets updates.

My Samsung gets more frequent and worthwhile updates that makes an iOS update look like child's play. I currently use both.

iOS is so sluggish and feels outdated at this point. Struggling to check messages and getting stuck on the various screens is an everyday feature now. The touch screen has felt unresponsive/inaccurate for a few updates to me.

Fuchsdh

How do some of you people use computers. Seems like you've never troubleshooted a problem before in your life and are resigned to hyperbole.

TBiddy

How do some of you people use computers. Seems like you've never troubleshooted a problem before in your life and are resigned to hyperbole.

How do you propose to troubleshoot the issue that I'm having, where it doesn't always scroll to the last message in Messages?

I’m having all those issues OP on my 6+. The patches they put out don’t seem to help much either. This is by far the most disappointing iOS they have put out thus far.

iPhone 7+ here, issues I’ve encountered so far: freezing the phone entirely, spotify player not appearing on lock screen, Safari tap to scroll up not responding, and home screen locking into landscape despite being portrait locked. This is the buggies iOS launch I’ve personally witnessed, and I’m kinda disappointed in Apple

rawd

A clean install fixed some issues but it's still has its crashes for me. I've never experienced such a buggy major release before.

Auctopus

Works great on my 6 and the new floatier animations are nice but it’s putting a significant strain on my battery :/

Hope they optimise it a little for older phones.

Nightfall

Yeah, it's a total shitfest for me too. Got it since the second public beta on my 6s and it hasn't improved at all.

It constantly freezes, reboots, apps lock or become unresponsive. Sometimes it keeps freezing constantly for about an hour and on other days there's nothing happening.

For me iOS11 is the worst update since the very first iPhone.

This is also a reason why I preordered a Pixel 2 XL

edit:

iPhone 7+ here, issues I've encountered so far: freezing the phone entirely, spotify player not appearing on lock screen, Safari tap to scroll up not responding, and home screen locking into landscape despite being portrait locked. This is the buggies iOS launch I've personally witnessed, and I'm kinda disappointed in Apple

The Spotify thing as well! And bluetooth calling in my car only works a fraction of the time. It connects but you don't get any sound. Even though it rings and connects. The other side doesn't hear you as well.

Enco

Definitely a weak update.

Pretty sad really. Most issues will get ironed out eventually but they shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Entroyp

Feels like every other iOS update to me, it’s frustrating at first and things go back to normal after some time. iOS does feel a bit outdated after using android for a week though.

rawd

Did you restore?

Is there anything you lose without restoring beside photos and messages?

Well yeah basically everything thats not tied to a online service like iCloud or Google you have to re-configure.

Had to backup like 2,500 pictures (which it was time to do anyway).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

My year old device I haven't needed to troubleshoot, which I use for most of the day, now requires me to troubleshoot it every few hours. The complete nose dive of quality I'm experiencing on my "it just works" device is far from hyperbole.

chrizzz09

Hm my iPhone 7 works like butter on iOS 11, no issues whatsoever, battery life is like on iOS 10 and no freezing or locking up issues. I did a normal OTA Update to iOS 11 no fresh installs/restores etc.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I hate. Still running into a lot of little nagging issues that ruin the overall experience. With how quickly they've been rolling out some fixes. Seems this iteration was pretty half baked. No update size in the App Store is inexcusable.

kyo_strife

Neo Member
Yeah, it's not reliable on my 6S. Missing notifications, disappearing clock, screen orientation issues, slow camera, etc. Thinking on rollin' back to iOS 10.

Top Bottom