• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump moves decisively to wipe out Obama’s climate-change record

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

This is what global terrorism looks like. It is not like the measures Obama took were near sufficient to get us on the right track, but they were at crawling in the right direction. Trump's administration is trying to slithering up the escalator.

I really hope Trump expedites global warming. I want him to be alive and well when Trump Tower gets flooded by rising sea levels. Seeing his face at that moment would rival the day my kids were born.

Derwind

I really hope Trump expedites global warming. I want him to be alive and well when Trump Tower gets flooded by rising sea levels. Seeing his face at that moment would rival the day my kids were born.

Trump: "Who knew the climate was so complicated."

¯ _(ツ)_/¯

PKrockin

what the fuck. How is this not talked about more? and if it is, how does it not matter?
I hear it mentioned now and then among people who follow politics closely, but I guess Democrats have focused on the white supremacist angle since a lot of Tea Partiers would basically agree with him?

Heck, the headline of Breitbart's top story like yesterday referred to Trump as outside and against the establishment. "The establishment" means the intelligence community, the media, Jews, whomever conservatives don't like at the moment.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, I have a proposal to Donny. You want a wall? I got you one better. A dome. Complete safety by land, sea and air!

You also get to choke in your own fumes without fucking the rest of us over.

Sincerely, The World.

Neo C.

The economics is in favor of renewables, but subsidies for the wrong ressources and toxic new laws can still do irreparable damage.

Americans need to take responsibility and show actions on every level, locally and statewise.

RoKKeR

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2017/01/06/science.aam6284.full

Barry-O to the rescue.

Because the cost of new electricity generation using natural gas is projected to remain low relative to coal, it is unlikely that utilities will change course and choose to build coal-fired power plants, which would be more expensive than natural gas plants, regardless of any near-term changes in federal policy. Although methane emissions from natural gas production are a serious concern, firms have an economic incentive over the long term to put in place waste-reducing measures consistent with standards my Administration has put in place, and states will continue making important progress toward addressing this issue, irrespective of near-term federal policy.

kess

The economics is in favor of renewables, but subsidies for the wrong ressources and toxic new laws can still do irreparable damage.

Americans need to take responsibility and show actions on every level, locally and statewise.

Meanwhile GAF throws away bread and compares bottled water

Republicans are currently allied with Breitbart because they both correspond on destroying equality through the tax code or through social institutions.

Usobuko

Banned
I want to see the "Trump" name forever stained in history.

Collectively, for the world's interest.

Americans should do us a favor and find every politicians who has benefits or took donations from this, their names deserve to go with the Trump list too.

You would think Trumps only job was to be reverse Obama

God the ridiculous level of hate cultivated at the name Obama among conservatives is straight mental poison

Loxley

Trump's obsession with trying to spite Obama at every turn is one of the most bizarre things about his Presidency (which is saying something). I think he desperately wants Obama's attention and for him to just start attacking Trump on Twitter and in the media - but Obama ain't taking the bait and is just letting Trump sabotage himself. I imagine it's really eating at Donny that Obama is just ignoring him.

“This policy is in keeping with President Trump’s desire to make the United States energy independent"

Don't these assholes realize that investing in renewable energy helps us do just that? Plus I'm pretty sure that since the shale boom, we have become energy independent.

Barzul

Even with this, what incentive is there to revert back to coal? It's a dead industry and you will get left behind in the global energy landscape if you stick with it. Honestly just don't get it. All things being equal I doubt most people would choose to use carbon based energy if the green alternative was available at the same cost/performance.

Even with this, what incentive is there to revert back to coal? It's a dead industry and you will get left behind in the global energy landscape if you stick with it. Honestly just don't get it. All things being equal I doubt most people would choose to use carbon based energy if the green alternative was available at the same cost/performance.

Attempt to appease voters who want nothing else in life other than to mine coal.

Pomerlaw

Well, climate change is still a major problem, but if it helps put you guys at ease, Trump's push for coal is bullshit, mostly because its not economically feasible. He's feeding his followers the crap they want, knowing full well that those coal jobs aren't coming back.

Wind and solar farms are springing up more and more, not because it saves the environment, but because its becoming more and more economically efficient to create energy this way.

Thank you mister.

Trump is a fucking idiot.

Ahasverus

Energy independence... With Coal.

Uhuh. The problem with these orders is a lack of continuity. His successor could just impose restrictions again.
When the next democrat president undoes all of this, it will be pained as a dictator by the right.

Sulik2

We are already past the point of no return for serious climate damage and Trump plans to accelerate the issue in of the world's worst offending countries. Insane.

We are already past the point of no return for serious climate damage and Trump plans to accelerate the issue in of the world's worst offending countries. Insane.

The thing is, he really can't accelerate it that much. Not only is it very likely that this EO will get challenged in court like the Travel Ban, but coal as a power source just isn't economically feasible anymore. Even CEOs of coal companies have said this.

Power Plants aren't going to suddenly start using coal again because the market knows that natural gas and renewables are much cheaper.

Americans living in the darkest timeline right now.

Can we please quit it with this darkest timeline nonsense?

The thing is, he really can't accelerate it that much. Not only is it very likely that this EO will get challenged in court like the Travel Ban, but coal as a power source just isn't economically feasible anymore. Even CEOs of coal companies have said this.

Power Plants aren't going to suddenly start using coal again because the market knows that natural gas and renewables are much cheaper.
Wind energy is going to be much cheaper than coal in the near future too.

He can try to deregulate coal but the fact that natural gas is cheaper and cleaner will mean most electricity producers will still prefer that over coal.

Only thing that can changer that is, ironically, government subsidies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Conservatives are frequently like "well why should corporations have to spend extra money to employ people they don't need?" Yet now they seem to want coal industry owners to spend extra money to employ people they don't need.

Conservatives are frequently like "well why should corporations have to spend extra money to employ people they don't need?" Yet now they seem to want coal industry owners to spend extra money to employ people they don't need.

It's only called welfare when colored people get money from the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom