• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I agree that plattformers are generally better in 2d. 3D Mario-games are the exceptions that confirms this rule though, they are all just a pure joy to play. Here is my ranked list btw:

1) Galaxy
2) Mario 64
3) Mario 3D World
4) Galaxy 2
5) Sunshine
6) 3D Land

All are awesome though.

Peltz

Nearly every 3D Mario platformer is awesome, that is all.

EucIfYY.gif

D.Lo

Personally, it's

1. Mario 3D World
  2. Mario 3D Land
  3. Galaxy 2
  4. Sunshine
  5. Galaxy 1
  6. Mario 64
I'd probably even put 3D World above every 2D Mario game, which is saying a lot cause I really prefer the 2D games overall.
For me:

Galaxy
Sunshine
Galaxy 2
3D Land
3D World

i never played the galaxies. probably the laziest reason. i never bothered to hook up the items for motion controls. i have both but it's just sitting there.

i also want to play sin and punishment but same reason the back of the box says motion controls so i tossed it to the side. the only think hooked up is a classic controller to nunchuck for xenoblade and to get to the gamecube screen/VC screen.
(and a wavebird receiver in one of the gamecube outlets)

i never played the galaxies. probably the laziest reason. i never bothered to hook up the items for motion controls. i have both but it's just sitting there.

i also want to play sin and punishment but same reason the back of the box says motion controls so i tossed it to the side. the only think hooked up is a classic controller to nunchuck for xenoblade and to get to the gamecube screen/VC screen.
the wiimote/nunchuck combo is the only way to play xenoblade tbh. so comfy.

Peltz

You won't be able to due to the SuperFX2 chip that no hardware can replicate
Well... shit.

Do you think we can we expect Star Fox' frame rate to be improved?

Nah. Nintendo doesn't like stuff like that in their emulation. All their games have original slowdown intact as far as I know.

It's just a Wii remote + nunchuk+sensor bar. You should definitely play them. They're amazing and will be some of the most mind blowing graphics you'll ever see on your CRT if you set your Wii or Wii U to 4:3 mode.

Peltz

Don't the N64 VC games run smoother?
Not to my knowledge. Maybe slight fewer dips in certain areas but no increase in target FPS. And some have additional slowdown on Wii. Like SF64.

I think Majoras Mask might be a few frames smoother in clock town though.

KC-Slater

Not to my knowledge. Maybe slight fewer dips in certain areas but no increase in target FPS. And some have additional slowdown on Wii. Like SF64.

I think Majoras Mask might be a few frames smoother in clock town though.

Based on some very shallow googling, it seems like N64 VC games hit/maintain closer to 30fps more consistently than on original hardware.

Here's hoping that Star Fox doesn't chug along at 12fps on the SNES mini...

that's interesting didn't know you could do that. probably easier for me to grab the sensor bar off my floor than to go to the store to buy candles.

damn.... nintendo uk has the snes mini for pre-order.

we have nothing....

edit: it's up on amazon UK as of 11:15pm EST
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073BVHY3F/
EDIT2: OOS now

When the NES classic went up on Amazon, I left a wedding to try to get one. I still don't have one.

BTails

Y'all be haitin' on wedding. My wedding was awesome: our theme was Movies, as we're both big movie fans. Each table had a different movie themed place settings (I love how people chatted to each other: "Oh, I'm sitting over at Die Hard").

50 people, kept costs to a minimum. Good times.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My imaginary girlfriend is great, though. She's almost as excited to get the Omega CMVS as I am. But she keeps nagging me to get Twinkle Star Sprites. Women.

Peltz

Is that a more complicated way of saying it was your sister's (or brother's, depending on the state/country) wedding? That's phrased like an SAT question.

It is probably his wife's brother.

My imaginary girlfriend is great, though. She's almost as excited to get the Omega CMVS as I am. But she keeps nagging me to get Twinkle Star Sprites. Women.

If your friends joke about you having an imaginary girlfriend, just remember - the jokes on them! They're imaginary too.

I kid, I kid.

Y'all be haitin' on wedding. My wedding was awesome: our theme was Movies, as we're both big movie fans. Each table had a different movie themed place settings (I love how people chatted to each other: "Oh, I'm sitting over at Die Hard").

50 people, kept costs to a minimum. Good times.

Hey I didn't say I didn't like my wedding! It was a great time but it was alot of money and stress. I mean the 40 grand we spent on the wedding could have got me a few neo geo carts!

Yes Boss!

Weddings in Retro-GAF! I just got married and it cost about $200 for the civil in SF City Hall. I did not even have to pay for a suit 😊 😛

8AB6F580-263D-4C3A-87DE-CDAB8461442D.jpg

IrishNinja

heresy alert

I didn't like Mario Galaxy that much.

same, and i wanted to love it - it just felt like compact levels that i didn't enjoy as much as 64, but i should give both more of a chance

Damn.

I'm definitely in the camp that prefers Galaxy to Galaxy 2. Only really prefer Mario 64 over it really.

I'm very armed in how I rank the 3D marios. And very curious how Odyssey will slot in:

1) Mario 64
2) Mario Galaxy
3) Mario 3D World
4) Mario Galaxy 2
5) Mario 3D Land
6) Mario Sunshine

the fact that you put 64 right above it (and sunshine dead last) means our tastes here are similar and i really should give it another go

Wait... after all these years, Yes Boss reveals himself?

you gotta follow him on IG!
also congrats boss, and damn your setup is so very clean

Top Bottom