• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

First-time posting in this topic. I just finished up my first couple hours of Persona 5 and after some reading and pacing back and forth in my room complaining aloud, I'm here still upset and disappointed.

There are a few things that bother me but more than anything else the script has left me tired and frustrated. There had been some lines in the introduction that hadn't sat well with me, but it was really once I got to leaving the school on 4/10 with Sojiro that everything started to become clear to me. I didn't feel I had a grasp on his character, and I didn't understand the dialogue choices being presented to me. They certainly didn't result in the type of responses that I'd have wanted in this situation but then again I don't understand this man to begin with. So here's the piece of dialogue that broke me:

"Now listen up. Don't even think of doing anything stupid.
Still, you were expelled once already. To think you'd re-enroll at a different one.
It's not like anyone will be sympathetic with you.
...If that's what it was like in school, people might say stuff about me in the future too..."

What the fuck is he saying? My brain is heading at this full throttle because... duh, this is Persona, and Persona 4's great, and I for the love of god don't understand what's going on here. Like, the bare facts of the statements are clear, but there's no logical progression to this line of thinking no (statement A -> statement B), and Sojiro doesn't seem to be intended to be a crazy person, so I'm just confused and frustrated.

So I googled it up and I'm not alone on this and I'm really afraid the whole game is gonna be like this and if it is I'm just not gonna be able to play this, and that makes me angry and disappointed and really sad.

A few other thoughts, since they're fresh in my head:
Maybe my preference, but I like the 3rd person narration for actions and thoughts of the protagonist used in the previous games over the 1st person here.
Why did the game make me play out a small sequence further detailing the incident that led to me expulsion from home when the opening cutscene explained it via flashback and Sojiro exposited it directly? Only one was necessary.
This town is rundown and the music ain't catchy yet! But it's just the first two days so I'm not (was not) really worried about that.

You did not play a scenario that lead to your expulsion.

You don't seem to be understanding what's happening. Just keep playing. The game is amazing. Really really amazing. I loved 4 and I love this.

As far as sojiro, idk what to tell you, it seemed clear as day to me.

marmoka

Banned
After 106 hours and 3 months playing it, I finally completed the game last night.

I loved it, but the game is too long.

Were previous Persona games this long?

Dmax3901

Alright so I'm right near the end (I assume), need some tips on how best to prepare.

I'm in December right before the Shido fight, I tried him out and got to the phase where it's just him and he turns slightly red. Boy was I mad when I saw his health go back to full. I basically just ran out of SP/SP restoring items and so had to give up. Not the most fun 20 minutes I've ever spent.

Anyway, I figure this time I'll make the most of December, the question is what do y'all suggest I do?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
You wont be able to work on party social links while waiting to send the calling card unfortunately - but I'd suggest hanging out with other people. Maybe you could use
Haru
to grow some more SP restoring items?

If you want to cheese it you could just hang around until flu season hits, boost a few levels from the reaper exploit and go back to kick his arse all over the place.

valkyre

I am 50 hours in (so no spoilers I guess) and I think I have a pretty good idea of the game and, for what is worth here are my collective thoughts so far.

I am honestly quite baffled at the amount of praise this game has gathered... its not that it is a bad game, its a good game, but I believe it is overrated as hell.

There is just so, so ,so much unnecessary bullshit involved with this game that I cant believe press and users give a free pass to these issues...

It really feels like a damn chore most of the time... you just fast travel from place to place, the activites are there for no apparent reason other to let you keep wasting your time reading the same crap dialogue and watch the same god damned skill upgrade scene for EACH AND EVERY SINGLE skillpoint you gain...

It makes me want to break the controler... you go to a place to increase guts and you read for the 500th time the same shit over and over... what is the point of this??

And i cannot even grasp the amount of times the game told me to go to sleep, or to not go outside, or if I am sure I want to make coffee, that I should feel tired...

Then the unnecessary dialogue altogether is baffling as well. You pull a lever that obviously opens a door and you are treated with "oh the door is open!! yay" type of dialogue! Or you enter a safe room "oh i guess we can rest here" or you exit the safe room "lets continue"...

my God... this is just pure garbage IMO. It feels like out of the 50 hours I have played 30 of them are a complete waste of my time watching the same scenes, dialogue and skill upgrades

Its not cute, its just stupid and handles me like I am playing a videogame for the very first time.

I feel the entire game is becoming boring. Sure there are interesting characters and I am still invested into seeing where this whole story goes, but the whole design of the game is tedious.

I dont know how these games are able to score so high but from what I have seen so far (and being 50 hours I doubt it is gonna make a huge difference by now) this game nowhere near deserves 93/100 metacritic. If it does then the hypocrisy surrounding countless other games that people often accuse them of over extending their time, or throwing useless content to the user and not respecting their time, is too damn high!

Kuraudo

Banned
I am in the middle of September....ugh. I like the game a lot more when there's actual gameplay and not just endless days of uninteractive anime angst.

There's so much to love about this game, but the pacing when it begins the long crawl to a new palace inevitably ends with me shelving it to play something else for a week or so.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Alright so I'm right near the end (I assume), need some tips on how best to prepare.

I'm in December right before the Shido fight, I tried him out and got to the phase where it's just him and he turns slightly red. Boy was I mad when I saw his health go back to full. I basically just ran out of SP/SP restoring items and so had to give up. Not the most fun 20 minutes I've ever spent.

Anyway, I figure this time I'll make the most of December, the question is what do y'all suggest I do?
Do you have the
Invigorate 3 patches from the clinic? They get unlocked after a certain point in that confidant's story, and get a discount a little further into her story. They're pricey at 50k after discount, but they help a ton with SP mileage.

Second, it sounds like you're
going through SP faster than you need to. The boss changes elemental resistances/weaknesses as he changes forms, so sometimes you're supposed to use physical attacks and sometimes you're supposed to stick with magic.

Realeza

Banned
How many hours from the end do I have left?

I'm after the section where they reveal Igor was a fake and all my teammates were imprisoned in the velvet room

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
How many hours from the end do I have left?

I'm after the section where they reveal Igor was a fake and all my teammates were imprisoned in the velvet room

Very close. Maybe ~2-3 hours left before credits roll, including both the climax of the story and the epilogue.

Mr Git

Been avoiding this thread until I was a fair way into the game (was LTTP but currently mid October). Loving it although my main gripe is similar to P4 - I hate it when the game forces you to sleep even if you haven't been in the metaverse. There's already finite time as is.

Opa-Pa

tumblr_orvozvnMzd1rxr449o1_1280.jpg

http://redrabbu.tumblr.com/post/162092276701/3c-persona-5-print-will-be-available-at-ax (link is NSFW, I think).

Im around the middle I think, where the characters were all on a beach.

I think Im tired of this game. I don't know, I just can't enjoy it anymore, and it sucks having spent full price on it.

I enjoy the current timeline, but idk how far I am from it, and the dialogue is just too much and unbearable and the new character is a totally annoying person.

On one hand, I want to read it and see the wordy dialogue/story telling play out, but on the other, its so damn annoying.

And in typical fashion, the current storyline twist/mystery is obvious, but the characters drag it out and take forever to realize what they should already know.

Gets on my nerves. Ill try to endure it a little longer, but I just can't.

I am in the middle of September....ugh. I like the game a lot more when there's actual gameplay and not just endless days of uninteractive anime angst.

There's so much to love about this game, but the pacing when it begins the long crawl to a new palace inevitably ends with me shelving it to play something else for a week or so.

Yeah, 7-12h of idling between palaces in unacceptable. Easily the worst paced single player game I have ever played. P3 and 4 were nowhere near as slow. Worst modern Persona by a countryside tbh.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Aw maaan, I'm on 12/23 and finished all requests without a guide except
Kawakamis Rank 9 one. Turns out I got her to 8 too late to trigger the cutscene that opens the request and that last day in school does nothing
:(

I just added Futaba and went back to school. Easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Which character is everyone's favorite? I think I'm leaning toward Yusuke. His confidant relationship has some hilarious moments and he's just a really well written character, he's so weird.

Makato is the best girl, but Futaba seems really cool so far, i died when she kept
wearing that mask when they tried to make her better at social interactions

Ryuji definitely has the best voice acting.

Not a weak link among them, that's for sure.

I'm sure there are still more I have to meet too.

Grisby

Honestly? The fact you have Third Eye pretty much makes that part of the dungeon moot. The only "dangerous" enemy to be ambushed by is Skadi (inflict Despair + insta-death). Norn's only annoying if you let it spam Diarahan.

RE Ryuji's insta-kill: Funnily enough, if you vastly over-level the mobs in Mementos, they just run away from you. No battle required. The only time Ryuji's ability is remotely useful is during palaces since those enemies will go after you regardless of level.
Yeah, I got through it all right the second time. Doesn't last long at all but it was still kind of annoying.

Didn't really care for the dungeon mechanics but the boss was one of my favorites of the game.

And now I think I'm heading into the final month. Big baddie revealed and all that.

Geg

I finished this on Friday and loved basically all of it. Immediately started a new game+ and I'm already past the Kamoshida palace lol.

I'm kind of amazed how long it is though. 126 hours for me, which is the longest it's ever taken me to go through a single playthrough of a game, even counting games like Breath of the Wild. It almost never felt like it was "too long" though and in the end it still left me wishing there was more lol

Just started my second play through. I'm going to aim for all the social links but not follow a guide, any general tips?
NG+? If so did you already max temperance and fortune during the first playthrough? If so get them to 1 the moment they are available. Do that and getting max is stupid easy.

If you are not doing NG+ for this second run or they are not maxed from original playthrough, get temperance maxed and fortune to 7 ASAP. Then abuse those abilities to maximize time.

sasliquid

NG+? If so did you already max temperance and fortune during the first playthrough? If so get them to 1 the moment they are available. Do that and getting max is stupid easy.

If you are not doing NG+ for this second run or they are not maxed from original playthrough, get temperance maxed and fortune to 7 ASAP. Then abuse those abilities to maximize time.

Thanks, I maxed Fortine first time through but I thought it only was easier for the link you romanced?

sasliquid

Just entered
mementos
for the first time on NG+

Current Confidant progress
Heiro 3
Lovers 2
Chariot 4
Hanged 1
Death 4
Moon 1

I think I'm making good but not perfect progress

Arrrammis

Confidants reset on NG+? I thought it was super easy to max them out because you kept progress?

They reset, but you keep your proficiency/guts/etc. so instead of grinding you can use that time to level confidants. Also, if you leveled a confidant to level 10, you get an item that lets you level that confidant faster. So it's faster, but you still start over in terms of confidant levels.

broz0rs

They reset, but you keep your proficiency/guts/etc. so instead of grinding you can use that time to level confidants. Also, if you leveled a confidant to level 10, you get an item that lets you level that confidant faster. So it's faster, but you still start over in terms of confidant levels.

and also you won't get stuck on social stat level caps that most characters have.

I remember not being able to work on Ann until two months in because I couldn't figure out how to raise her kindness to level 2.

Grisby

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm on the last palace.

Does the last month play out like normal? Meaning if I go in
and try to beat the palace in a day or two I'll have the rest of the month to finish up some confident stuff? I know the game said something about making your bonds stronger so I didn't know if that meant the game will automatically head into end game stuff if I beat the palace early.

Arrrammis

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm on the last palace.

Does the last month play out like normal? Meaning if I go in
and try to beat the palace in a day or two I'll have the rest of the month to finish up some confident stuff? I know the game said something about making your bonds stronger so I didn't know if that meant the game will automatically head into end game stuff if I beat the palace early.

Yep, the last month plays out normally in that way.

So what's my deadline to make Haru my waifu before the social links cut off?

Im around the middle I think, where the characters were all on a beach.

I think Im tired of this game. I don't know, I just can't enjoy it anymore, and it sucks having spent full price on it.

I enjoy the current timeline, but idk how far I am from it, and the dialogue is just too much and unbearable and the new character is a totally annoying person.

On one hand, I want to read it and see the wordy dialogue/story telling play out, but on the other, its so damn annoying.

And in typical fashion, the current storyline twist/mystery is obvious, but the characters drag it out and take forever to realize what they should already know.

Gets on my nerves. Ill try to endure it a little longer, but I just can't.

The Hawaii trip to the end of the Palace that follows is the low point of the game.

And just curious, what do you think the twist is?

So what's my deadline to make Haru my waifu before the social links cut off?

The Hawaii trip to the end of the Palace that follows is the low point of the game.

And just curious, what do you think the twist is?
Huh, I just started that palace and I think it's awesome. I love the two new characters. Don't spoil story stuff obviously, but is this palace bad once you really dive into it or something?

Huh, I just started that palace and I think it's awesome. I love the two new characters. Don't spoil story stuff obviously, but is this palace bad once you really dive into it or something?

No worries, no spoilers! It's a combination of things. As far as school trips go in Persona games, Hawaii was pretty lame. Partly because even there they couldn't freaking shut up about The Phantom Thieves. Just be teenagers for once... Then yes, the dungeon pretty early on becomes annoying. It's one of the dungeon designs that seems to encourage you to risk losing progress due to being wiped out in your tenth battle out of nowhere, so be careful. And lastly, the drama leading up to that Palace didn't sit well with me.

Oh, and I think the Palace owner is the least interesting of the 7 I've encountered thus far and by that point it feels very formulaic. Thankfully pretty much every single thing I've said here is remedied starting from the moment you beat the boss.

Edit: I too love the new character. I'm currently rushing to max her social link and move Becky to side chick status.

Pachinko

Well I've taken quite a hiatus from this game lately. Been pulling close to 60 hours a week at work most of this month so I've only had maybe 5 hours to play Persona 5.
I've made it to the point in Palace 6 where I've been forced out and I did so without even using any SP items , that sp patch 3 is almost broken.
So... I have to admit something though, Going by this thread I'm really not alone in thinking this but this game starts off much better than it carries on. The premise behind the first 4 palaces actually felt like proper escalation and consequence, storyline beats all worked reasonably well. Even the summer trip was a fun little side thing. Palace 5 though ? ehhh, the entire plot post summer break until you finally start palace 5 was a real wash. Getting to palace 6 felt a little better but I kind of feel like I'm just going through the motions at this point... 80 hours in. I still want to finish it and see for myself how everything plays out but all of my favorite parts of this game have worn slightly thin (the music , cool visuals) and I kind of just want it to "get on with it".

It's certainly helped having had a 3 week break since I saved near the beginning of Palace 6 but I hope the payoff after this palace is worth it story-wise.

It's the house maid name of your teacher Kawakami
Oh yea, I remember. I haven't pursued that confidant relationship much, didn't even know that she was a romance option.

*Class trip spoilers*
On the Hawaii trip it definitely felt like a romance choice when I had to decide who to hang out with. My options were Hifumi(sp?) Makato, or just hang with Ryuji. Makato is the one I'm interested in, so I chose her, but is that a big choice, or it doesn't really matter? I thought it was weird that Ann wasn't an option.

Top Bottom