• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony mismanaged the Gran Turismo franchise? If so, why?

Apex

Hey everyone!

So I was thinking about this the other day, how a huge sales juggernaut like GT can be swept under the rug so easily.

I'm not that knowledgable when it comes to GT so the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that it really started with GT6 being released exclusively on the PS3 after the PS4 came out - not even a PS4 port was seen in sight.

But despite that, it still sold relatively well, especially when compared to franchises that have so much more money/marketing poured into them.

And now we come to GT Sport which it seems Sony has dropped the ball again (at least in terms of visible marketing, dedicated time in conferences and certain features being barebones -- this what I gathered anyway from the numerous GT threads e.g. no dynamic weather, primarily an online focus, cut back SP etc.

Even at the PS Asia conference there wasn't any significant marketing nor at TGS where they could have at least showed off the weather.

It's just baffling and mind-boggling to me that such a huge franchise with such a big pull and guaranteed commercial success even on a bad entry could be treated this poorly.

I understand the racing market has changed, especially in the US, but still, if feels GT could have maintained its popularity, at least if Sony were just a little less careless with their management of it.

What do you guys think?
GT has been slowly changing its main demographic focus from the typical videogames venues, to channels and events directly related with motorsports and cars. They have a heavy presence there and every time more in the social media. Top car brands are advertising GTS and designing cars for them, motorsport sponsors too as part of their partnerships, they have been showcasing short featured clips in the official channels since months, there are partnerships with motorsport pilots to act as official GTS ambassadors, FIA digital licenses, etc.

And as with every GT there will be a big GTS premiere event with lots of varied press, this time probably with the FIA involved. There's even a PS4 limited edition just for GTS. They are and will be well covered to make known the game, no matter how is perceived in the review sites, general videogames forums or game related expos.

To finish, GT fills the first 5 positions of the best selling games ever published by Sony and is the only game that have been regular in being in the top 3 best selling games in each PS generation. That should give some perspective to the critics about how important is the studio and the GT games for the PS brand and Sony.

KOHIPEET

Until just recently GT5 had sold more then the entire Forza franchise by itself. GT6 is considered the worst GT and sold better then any Forza game. So no GT is the more successful series.

As someone else said above Forza is probably the better rated game because of the faster turnaround and fan feedback well except for the micro transaction crap in 5 but they fixed that.

This honestly came as a surprise to me. I should've done some research. My bad.

jett

D-Member
The fact that Sony slowly killed every studio that made a racing game for them in the past 12 years, but allowed the one close to home to do whatever the fuck they want and ship a game once every 4 years as series sales declined....

The answer is yes.

There was some sort of article about this wasn't there? How companies like Sony constantly squeeze, cutback and ultimately close teams and offices more often the farther they are from HQ while the people they know face to face who have issues continue to operate undisturbed.

Look at all the European studios Sony has killed.

Look at how they greenlit Knack fucking 2.

Enough said.

GamerJM

Banned
As someone who doesn't play these games, from the outside it looks like Sony gives a lot of dev time to Polyphony to allow them to perfect aspects of the game that the average consumer doesn't care about. Which is cool of them to do but also probably hurting the series from a business perspective in the longrun.

Gran Turismo 5 ended up selling a lot better than most people remember or give it credit for. GT6 saw a big decline in sales for reasons that are obvious to everyone. I think the answer is to just wait and see how Sport fares. This time it won't have the excuse of being a title released too late in the gen to fall back on if it sees a similar slump.

Wouldn't the excuse be that it's not a numbered title this time.

Wouldn't the excuse be that it's not a numbered title this time.

Yes, possibly followed by GT7 getting the end of generation excuse again.
But maybe they'll turn it around, I wouldn't know how to gauge global demand for GTSport.
edit: well, not beyond Amazon rankings anyway. It's 90th in Germany's best selling titles in 2017, so that's something. Not looking so hot for GTS being higher than Mario Odyssey for those who followed that silly locked GTS vs Mario vs Pubg thread.

Neith

Banned
I think people need to realize that Polyphony is just slow, and the upgrade to 4K and HD in general has been really slow. Once they get all the cars to a level they don't need to do much, and the tracks as well, I would think the game will have its rail system down and should be a bit more smooth on the development side.

Arondight

Enough said.

Not to say I didn't feel disappointed with the closures but I'm kind of guessing that maybe some of the European studios probably had higher expenses, greater failures and from what I've read , Japan seems to have stricter employee laws. I mean while GT had a massive decline from 5 to 6 their failures are in No way anywhere close to what happened with evolution studios and Liverpool and zipper . Evolution from what I've read was close to being finished when motorstorm apocalypse released and DC seemed to have underperformed, was delayed and had massive online problems as well as reviewing not so great. GT6 managed to sell over 5 million on a last gen console and at the very least their decline could be contributed to the mistake of not releasing a port to next gen console which while isn't a good business decision, isn't in a position like Driveclub or Wipeout and It wouldn't surprise me if GT5 and GT6 probably even outsold all the other studio efforts combined.

Knack is a terrible game along with its sequel but I'm guessing that it's probably a far smaller project that saw reasonable success for the first game as a launch game filling in a genre space that they need. Just putting in perspective that Japan studio have released Last guardian, gravity rush 2 and knack 2 and everybody's golf within a span of a year which is a fairly large output of games.

I would probably be worried about GtS if it sells even less than GT6 and I don't even like the direction GT had taken either.

I don't know if "mismanaged" is the word, but franchises like Forza taught us that is not necessary to wait 5 years for a great racing game.

I'm not sure if Forza is such a good example. I mean, it's a serviceable racing game, but it's nowhere near as popular as Gran Turismo. Heck, isn't the next Forza game like the tenth in the series? And still it hasn't reached a comparable audience that GT games have.

Knack is a terrible game along with its sequel

What? Did you even play either of those games? Knack 1 is pretty good (if a bit too simple) and Knack 2 is awesome.

shouldn't they already care since gt6 sold less than gt5 (i think)?

GT6 sold 5 million against GT5's 11 or so million copies. I'm sure GT Sport will outperform GT6, the game is completed revamped and the fans will take notice of that.

ethomaz

Banned
This thread makes no sense at all.

GT6 was probably choose a bad release time but GTS is looking good to archive success.

dracula_x

Enough said.

btw, speaking of Evolution Studios – https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03754597/filing-history

DbHqBYS.png

Unknown?

I honestly would be okay with a single GT per gen with lots of add-ins throughout the gen. Now that we have the ability to update games there's no need for tons of sequels because the sequels are just more content anyway.

Yeah of course. The fact that Forza is now far and away the premiere racing franchise is proof they greatly mismanaged it.

If the head dude at Polyphony just wants to go further his racing career let him do it. He's hurting the franchise far more than he's helping it.

BigEmil

To be fair, Knack was made by a tiny team and sold like tenfolds more than it should have! ;p
Knack was a PS4 day 1 launch title where there were hardly any games to buy for PS4 plus it was bundled with PS4 along with KZ Shadowfall for ages

border

Is this even a question? Of course GT has been mismanaged. It takes nearly half a decade for them to make one game, and that time and effort doesn’t even show in the final product.....especially when compared to competitors that take half as much dev time.

GTS would have helped push PSVR in Europe, but they all but killed support for it.

Sayad

Knack was a PS4 day 1 launch title where there were hardly any games to buy for PS4 plus it was bundled with PS4 along with KZ Shadowfall for ages
Driveclub was bundled too, doesn't change the fact that one game was obviously profitable and the other wasn't!

So...
It did what it was supposed to do and it lived. If the second one doesn't perform well then it may die off or do good enough to live longer.

I dont know if is Sony but Polyphony Digital has not been properly managed for several years now, I felt that GT4 was getting stale, was a good game but Forza showed showed that many things we wanted from GT could be done much better.

Gt5 was a developing mess and the game was all over the place, what was good was really good and what was wrong was awful. The game was not polished at all.
Gt6 was a bit the same but better made.

I really blame Kaz, he should not be managing the studio, he did so many communication mistakes,, he should be design and vision director but he should not have ultimate word, he is called a perfectionist but thats only in the areas he care about because other parts of their games are really sloppy.

Fbh

I'm not really into car games so I might be taking BS.

But the franchise just doesn't feel as relevant anymore? Seems like the games take forever to release but don't feel substantially better than yearly franchises like Forza.

It should be like the GTA of Racing games, takes forever to release but also sets the bar for the genre, but I'm not getting that vibe from the GT sports previews.

Most of my friends who are into that type of games have migrated to Xbox and PC since you get all the third party stuff and you also get a good Forza game every year.

CamHostage

How about it's diminished prescence in conferences? Do you think that's anything significant or will not matter in the grand scheme of things?

Sony doesn't use its press conferences to show off near-to-market product, for the past few years nearly everything at E3 and PSX and TGS (when they have a keynote) and CES has been years away from release. Instead, GT Sport has been part of their playable floor presentation many, many times over by this point. (If GT Sport had shown up in any of Sony's "megatons" shows, even this year's somewhat lean TGS, it would have been knocked as crass and promotional that they were showing a game we'd already seen a bunch of times before.)

As far as GT6, sure, it could have been cross-gen and sold, and in the long run the delays of GTS have damaged the brand ... but at the time I think Sony thought they were protecting their brands (both GT and PS4) by not dumping cross-gen up-ports. GT6 would have looked okay but decidedly last-gen against the PS4-customized DriveClub, and would have felt like a cash-in.

Missing dates is what's killing GT. It was one thing when "GT 2000" didn't come out on time with PS2 because by the time GT3 came out, everything demoed in that old version was put to shame by the real thing and it was undeniably the premier racing experience. But then GT4 came out on PS2 when people were starting to shift thinking towards PS3, and GT5 came later than it should have on PS3 (somewhat like the GT2000 demos, they rigged "GT HD" as a placeholder, and stalled for time with "Prologue" and other demos), and then GT6 hit on PS3 again when everybody was thinking PS4. (Also remember the PSP version was in that timeline and also came so long after it was initially promised that its impact was diminished.) Bad dates.

Now GT Sport is delayed and delayed and delayed, and not only has the competition gotten much stronger (and sadly the fanbase gotten much smaller,) but now GT Sport cannot promise to be the polished-paragon, landmark racing event that previous GTs have been once finally out; this game by its design is less feature-packed and car-packed than previous GT releases, and it focuses on new areas that it is hoping a new generation of car fans will appreciate while knowing that its Career and car quantity features aren't what they used to be. If GT Sport had come out 6-12 months launch and then we had GT7 to look forward to right now, it might be a different story of having a mid-gap GT experience while they make all those amazing car models. Instead, people are already begrudgingly looking at GT Sport as their only GT choice for some time to come, and many of them have already kicked the addiction anyway. Promise under expectations and deliver late, not an ideal combo. GT has been a brand that has had tortoise-slow development but in the end has proved itself in the slow-but-steady-wins-the-race philosophy, but this time, we'll have to see if they still have what it takes to catch up and win.

Apex

I dont know if is Sony but Polyphony Digital has not been properly managed for several years now, I felt that GT4 was getting stale, was a good game but Forza showed showed that many things we wanted from GT could be done much better.
That's the problem with the critics. "We" does not represent what I want or what all the buyers want. Forza has never been close to the global popularity of GT, no matter the review scores, its features, or the critics insisting that was a better clone, since ages.

GT is a rare kind of game proposal with an unusual development cycle and an unique craftmanship. It's great that a game like that exists and to have it as an alternative over other more generic or classic options. That is what makes the series so appealing to many tuned with the Kaz's vision or attracted by its quality and attention to detail over its imperfections and limitations.

So what is seen a mismatched direction to some, is to others part of what make a GT unique and an attractive rare gem.

CamHostage

That's the problem with the critics. "We" does not represent what I want or what all the buyers want. Forza has never been close to the global popularity of GT, no matter the review scores, its features, or the critics insisting that was a better clone, since ages.

Oh, but be careful there, because complaining about GT has been a pasttime of GT owners for a while now, and it might catch up to them this time. The lack of damage modeling, the dwindling number of cars and the unbalanced number of high-detail versus standard-modeled cars, the constriction of the modes in opening up and enjoying the cars you like, the occasional technical issues that mar the otherwise gorgeous polish...

One could argue that GT6's downturn over sales of GT5 were because it wasn't on PS4, but it still had Kaz's great vision and attention to detail, and there were millions with PS3s to sell to but they just weren't interested; we'll see if GT Sport continues that sales trend. When being the sexiest racing game alive once mattered in the console race, all of those complaints skimmed on the surface and people still bought GT, but I think you're seeing in the lack of GT Sport enthusiasm (or Forza 7 hype, for that matter; there was no bigger thud coming from the Xbox One X unveiling than when foreheads around the world got slapped upon learning FM7 was going to be the only major new game to launch a new box,) that tastes have changed,

It hasn't just been the critics who've given props to Forza (though I'm with you, GT is still an elite racing sim that I understand holding in a class by itself.) There are also a lot of former GT fans who have turned to Forza after being burned out and left waiting by GT and found a lot to like elsewhere. Project Cars and at one point NFS also gained appreciation.

So what is seen a mismatched direction to some, is to others part of what make a GT unique and an attractive rare gem.

It sure is rare, alright. There has been nary of a spotting of the elusive Gran Turismo in the natural habitat of store shelves since 2013....

Gt5 was a developing mess and the game was all over the place, what was good was really good and what was wrong was awful. The game was not polished at all.
Gt6 was a bit the same but better made.

I really blame Kaz, he should not be managing the studio, he did so many communication mistakes,, he should be design and vision director but he should not have ultimate word, he is called a perfectionist but thats only in the areas he care about because other parts of their games are really sloppy.
What did find stale about GT4?

What did find stale about GT4?

Lack of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, (for years I wanted to drive a F40 in my favorite racing franchise) , horrible engine and tire sounds, lack of damage, of external customization.

It wasnt a bad game at all but I wanted those things and Forza offer me a great game, fun, new, fresh and pack with features.

I like GT, it was my favorite back then but since 2005 for me Forza is superior and they added the wonderful Horizon spin off which was another dream.

when GT:S drops and outsells the Forza series in a short period I anxiously await the "Why do GP like GT more than Forza? What can MS do to appeal to GP like GT does?" follow up thread in a few weeks/months.

Does Gt outsell forza if it they put out 3 of them in the same time as 1 gt.

Genuinely asking

old

I played GT religiously on PS1 and PS2. Lost complete interest in the series thereafter. Sony screwed up in many ways. Releases started taking way too long between installments. The installments had less content than before. And I got bored of driving the same cars on the same tracks for 15 years straight. How many times am I going to drive a late 90's Dodge Viper around Leguna Seca?

They need to push out releases faster and focus on new cars and tracks not in previous releases.

Enough said.

They greenlit Knack 2 because:
1. Cerny is a superstar at Sony because of the PS4 so they're going to let them do whatever he wants.
2. Knack is way cheaper to make than Driveclub.

It's a weird comparison to make considering one thing didn't die for the other.

Bollocks

Anybody remember the time Yamauchi said the next GT won't take that long since they modeled the cars with a higher polycount already.
He said it everytime.

What's "Don't believe his lies" in Japanese?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They greenlit Knack 2 because:
1. Cerny is a superstar at Sony because of the PS4 so they're going to let them do whatever he wants.
2. Knack is way cheaper to make than Driveclub.

It's a weird comparison to make considering one thing didn't die for the other.
Knack 1 also made a shit ton of money for its investment

Anybody remember the time Yamauchi said the next GT won't take that long since they modeled the cars with a higher polycount already.
He said it everytime.

What's "Don't believe his lies" in Japanese?
Yes, he said this:
The level of precision we've achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.
But they made cars from scratch for GTS! I agree with him about last gen premiums and thought they'll use lots of PS3 models in GTS, but it's PD! They used low quality PS2 cars in GT5/6 and didn't use high quality PS3 games in GTS!
Also that wasn't the only thing he said about next GT.
2013: The PlayStation 4 game, which we'll likely call GT7, will be done in about a year or two, I think. (That means 2014 or 2015)
2014: Everything will be running naturally on PS4. PS3 was much, much more difficult. The high quality of data that we have being rendered on the PS4 I think is going to make an incredible difference. We want to make it very Gran Turismo. By that I mean it's going to be a game that matches the very era that we live in, in 2015 or 2016.

BibiMaghoo

On it's most basic level, I feel Polyphony mismanage the franchise, and Sony allow them to do it. Every time I get their next game and look at how long it took them, I feel that it was not justified. They spend so much time on things of little import or notice and compared to every other good developer out there that work time just does not show. I love their games but they need to be managed better than they have been for 15 years. They need to not spend entire dev cycles making half the game they should, then taking another cycle to bring it up to scratch and slap a number on it. I'm sure it works ok financially but it's far from ideal for anyone involved, especially the customer.

watdaeff4

Maybe I'm too soft but I think the only true error they have made is having GTS be basically a MP game (I understand there are SP challenges or whatever but cmon)

The timing of 6 was unfortunate but it is what it is, I don't fault them too much for that.

If there is a backlash with GTS like there was with SFV, after the mistiming of 6; then yeah, there needs to be some damage control done with the franchise

Is this even a question? Of course GT has been mismanaged. It takes nearly half a decade for them to make one game, and that time and effort doesn’t even show in the final product.....especially when compared to competitors that take half as much dev time.

GTS would have helped push PSVR in Europe, but they all but killed support for it.

I don't think you know what half decade means... Learn to count, GT6 was released AFTER PS4 launched. Jesus Christ this thread is fucking ridiculous when you get posts as bad as this just so people can shit on Kaz, Polyphony and the game cause they don''t have their Pokemon cars career mode wah wah wah boo hoo hoo. You've known what this game is for ages, about time some of you dealt with it.

watdaeff4

I don't think you know what half decade means... Learn to count, GT6 was released AFTER PS4 launched. Jesus Christ this thread is fucking ridiculous when you get posts as bad as this just so people can shit on Kaz, Polyphony and the game cause they don''t have their Pokemon cars career mode wah wah wah boo hoo hoo. You've known what this game is for ages, about time some of you dealt with it.

I understand some of your posts, but the part about lack of a career mode is similar to the hardcore FGC knocking the filthy casuals who wanted an arcade mode for SFV.

Ask Capcom how that turned out

Ted

Yes. They didn't include shuffle racing in GT6 and then closed GT5 online functionality. Arseholes.

I understand some of your posts, but the part about lack of a career mode is similar to the hardcore FGC knocking the filthy casuals who wanted an arcade mode for SFV.

Ask Capcom how that turned out

Maybe, I didn't follow that, I'm not much of a fighting gamer. But all I'm saying is, it's about time people started to accept what this game is, what it's trying to do, rather than shit on it every five minutes. There are plenty of racing games out there to scratch itches, or soon to be released anyway, but spending time moaning about this one seems more productive to them apparently. Occasionally you get people saying PS4 doesn't have enough good racing games on the system. Well GTS is focused on that primarily, the racing... Maybe people should give it a chance to see if that important aspect is good.

magawolaz

Taking out mechanical upgrades was probably the worst decision polyphony could make
Only way to make people better drivers (and also ensure parity online).
I see people complaining about every single aspect they don't like, but without looking at the whole picture. It's not like Kaz woke up one day and said "hey, let's take out mechanical upgrade just 'cause"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244908219&postcount=671

Yes, he said this:
The level of precision we’ve achieved [in GT5] is actually more suited to the next generation of machines. The detail that goes into a premium model [has] gone beyond the level of the current PlayStation.
But they made cars from scratch for GTS! I agree with him about last gen premiums and thought they'll use lots of PS3 models in GTS, but it's PD! They used low quality PS2 cars in GT5/6 and didn't use high quality PS3 games in GTS!
Because back then they didn't account for tesselation and PBR. And it's easier to say they remodeled them all instead of saying they kept some GT6 models. Most people don't even know there were two tiers of Premium cars.

Nothing to say on the release schedule, you're right about that. I actually think it's "all" GT5's fault (and by extension PS3's mad architecture). It it came out in 2009 as planned, GT6 could have come out a year before, and GT PS4 even earlier maybe.

(Fwiw I don't even agree with GT6 being ported to PS4, it would have split the already thin online community)

Yes. They didn't include shuffle racing in GT6 and then closed GT5 online functionality. Arseholes.
So true, shuffle racing was so much fun. Man I miss those races.

watdaeff4

Maybe, I didn't follow that, I'm not much of a fighting gamer. But all I'm saying is, it's about time people started to accept what this game is, what it's trying to do, rather than shit on it every five minutes. There are plenty of racing games out there to scratch itches, or soon to be released anyway, but spending time moaning about this one seems more productive to them apparently. Occasionally you get people saying PS4 doesn't have enough good racing games on the system. Well GTS is focused on that primarily, the racing... Maybe people should give it a chance to see if that important aspect is good.
I understand that you are tired of hearing people complain. If it wasn't such a beloved franchise and the first iteration this generation of that franchise, people wouldn't be so upset.

Unfortunately just like them complaining won't change what GTS is; you complaining about them won't change their viewpoints either.

border

I don't think you know what half decade means... Learn to count, GT6 was released AFTER PS4 launched.

GT Sport is releasing ~4 years after GT6. That's nearly half a decade, and it's not even full Gran Turismo sequel. The time they take would not be an issue if it actually translated into more feature-rich followup games. But instead the series is actually being scaled back with no decrease in development time.

Forza has managed to come out more often AND be better as well. It used to be quantity vs quality now it's quantity AND quality vs....?

Sony has mismanaged the whole racing genre this generation.

No Gran Tourismo game yet released.
Driveclub the only exclusive arcade racer (which is amazing)
Driveclub VR which is a must buy
Wipeout HD remaster.

They haven't tried this gen.

And while yes Microsoft only has the Forza series, they have the best open world arcade racers and best exclusive sim.

GT will come out and be great, but Sony on the whole need to do more.

BigEmil

Forza has managed to come out more often AND be better as well. It used to be quantity vs quality now it's quantity AND quality vs....?

Don't forget Project Cars 2 aswell that seemed to improve alot over Project Cars 1 released a few years ago

Top Bottom