• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

Bookoo

PUBG is a refinement of all the other battle royale style games that have come before it.

I was surprised that major developers didn't jump on the bandwagon back when DayZ became the hot thing. I originally thought that The Division was going to be targeting that crowd, but that turned out to be more of a loot shooter than a survival game.

Jakoo

Bluehole licenses Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games...creates megahit PUBG
Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

IMO, Bluehole is right to be concerned.

Does Epic games have the ability to look into the code of companies that use UE4? I am assuming not, so I don't understand why the fact PUBG has used Unreal really helps Epic in cloning it.

Also I think the only "advertisement" I am aware of was the PS Blog post announcing the mode. It seemed to be a pretty earnest comment from the developer, and if he didn't compare it to PUBG of course everyone else would?

I guess I understand Bluehole's frustration but like, very many things in gaming in general are iterative improvements that other developers lean on. Given that PlayerUnknown literally got his start modding another game, it seems a bit hypocritical that now his project would look down on other companies taking inspiration from his work.

BigEmil

Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.
Well then. Huh. Not on Bluehole's side now lol and especially that games before it H1Z1, DayZ, ARMA etc existed before it...

To be fair, Bluehole are geniuses, I can understand their upset.

The name Battle Royale is so distinct and fits so well. The whole concept of having a group of people on an island whittle each other down until one remains with a variety of weapons is honestly something I'm surprised hadn't been thought of earlier. It's such an interesting concept. To then add 'danger zones' into the mix where every so often portions of the map are unsafe only serves to heighten the experience, something unique that I'm glad was thought of.

Items like the yellow and black tracksuit help provide style to the game as well. Though it's unclear where the inspiration came from, probably Kill Bill, it just seems to work.

Epic need to back off, it isn't right that Bluehole can create something so profoundly unique only to have others shamelessly copy it (even the name!).

Venfayth

How is pubg different from day z

Genuinely asking because i dont understand its success if theyre all the same concept

Id really like to see Last of Us do it as the mechanics are all there

???

DayZ was a persistent open world survival game where you fought against zombies and players.

PUBG is a 30 minute-round survival free for all game with a shrinking playing field.

Rymuth

Again, not saying it shouldn't be allowed. I also think it's fair for Bluehole to think it was tacky and say as such.
I agree with you that they have the right to say that but don't you think it's tacky on their part to wave the threat of legal action?

cripterion

They are taking their sweet ass time to implement basic features while making tons of cash, I'm all for other devs trying to get a proper BR game out.

What do you think Epic is going to do?

Provide a smoother experience with a lesser amount of time? I don't think the BR in Fornite is going for the same thing as PUBG in any case.

But that lawsuit was more over the branding (ie. whether Valve could call the game DOTA or if Blizzard owned that name), right? I don't think there have been any actual "the gameplay is similar" lawsuits.

Because "gameplay" as a concept isn't something that's, as far as I remember, protected under IP law. It's similar to how you can't protect a process or math formula.

Innolis

This is insane, almost as if bluehole doesn't know how the industry works...

Can you imagine if Epic went around suing people for using the TPS Cover mechanics they popularized?

If a better alternative comes along, those numbers WILL go way down. I personally don't get the hype over the concept and game, but whatever.
Better alternatives to CSGO have existed for years and yet it's only recently been stagnating thanks to PUBG. The PC space works much differently than you're thinking.

Venfayth

Do you have any actual criticisms of people's reactions, or just this broad nothingness?

Well I mean, the article adds essentially nothing to the stuff posted in the OP. So it seems like everything important was covered. What exactly are people missing that is in the article?

I mean, it's clear a lot of people needed to read this part of the article

As for Brendan "PlayerUnknown" Greene, Bluehole highlighted a comment he made in a recent Reddit AMA session, when he said "Other companies will, of course, enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game mode and not just make a carbon copy!"

xviper

isn't PUBG already a rip-off of like a hundred other survival early access games ?

i don't see FromSoftware complaining that some devs ripped off their formula which was original

tells you a lot about the kind of dev that is Bluehole

Alienous

The ๖ۜBronx;249657393 said:

The name Battle Royale is so distinct and fits so well. The whole concept of having a group of people on an island whittle each other down until one remains with a variety of weapons is honestly something I'm surprised hadn't been thought of earlier. It's such an interesting concept. To then add 'danger zones' into the mix where every so often portions of the map are unsafe only serves to heighten the experience, something unique that I'm glad was thought of.

Items like the yellow and black tracksuit help provide style to the game as well. Though it's unclear where the inspiration came from, probably Kill Bill, it just seems to work.

Epic need to back off, it isn't right that Bluehole can create something so profoundly unique only to have others shamelessly copy it (even the name!).

A 'Battle Royale' is the literal dictionary description of what the game mode is.

hawk2025

Well I mean, the article adds essentially nothing to the stuff posted in the OP. So it seems like everything important was covered. What exactly are people missing that is in the article?

I guess that poster thinks weak lip service in an AMA fundamentally reframes the whole thing? (It doesn't)

Wereroku

ITT no one reads the article.

Just like every neogaf thread.

I'm not seeing what people are missing according to you. It's a pretty short statement the only thing not in the op is PU saying he knows people are going to copy him and he hopes they do their own twist on it instead of carbon copy. There are actually a lot of differences between Fortnite and PUBG also even if it was a carbon copy as long as the code and assets are unique there is nothing they can legally do.

Ok cool. People can hope for a lot of things that doesn't mean they will get it. If another company comes out with a clone that is better then people will move to that.

This is insane, almost as if bluehole doesn't know how the industry works...

Can you imagine if Epic went around suing people for using the TPS Cover mechanics they popularized?

The similarities between PUBG and Fortnite BR are more than just mechanics. In fact the mechanics are probably the one thing that are the most different between the two. It's the presentation that is a complete and blatant (and Epic seems to acknowledge this in a tongue in cheek way) rip off. Is this something Bluehole should be able to successfully sue over? I don't think so. It's very "Street Fighter/Fighter's History" to me. But I can see why they are concerned. And from a huge company like Epic, it's a little tacky tbh.

Is this sarcasm? Its gotta be sarcasm.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
get used to it. i doubt Fornite will be the last game.

just wait until the big players start dipping their toes in. hell, hasn't Rockstar added a battle royale mode to GTA Online? i'd be more worried about that tbh. if that hasn't got him worried then wait until the rest join in.

james-franco-wink.gif

Mic dropped, thread closed, bluehole owned

You need to buy a new detector

Randam

How is pubg different from day z

Genuinely asking because i dont understand its success if theyre all the same concept

Id really like to see Last of Us do it as the mechanics are all there

dayz has respawn and there is no circle forcing every player to the same location.

Alienous

Doesn't really change much. Fortnite Battle Royale has base building mechanics, it's own 'unique spin', but it doesn't seem that's enough for Bluehole. So it's a vague, meaningless statement.

Top Bottom