• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underwhelming final bosses (Spoilers)

Ganon's final form in Breath of the Wild. It's not even conceptually good. The only saving grace is we got an awesome final boss track out of it.

Calamity Ganon was also kinda ho-hum and felt like it needed more meat to it.

TannerDemoz

1685664-necronffix.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
First one that came to mind was Nashandra from Dark Souls 2. I know it's not really the true final boss but in my playthrough I got Nashandra. i had more trouble from the Throne Watcher/Defenders before her. in fact most of the bosses in the game were easy. the only ones i had bother with were watcher/defenders and the optional boss Smelter Demon.

Moon Presence

Right?

i was so let down with it. It's not bad I guess but I was expecting a real challenge but compared to Kos/Laurence and even Gehrman it was a total pushover.

Destiny
Destiny 2
Diablo3
The Division (The mission itself was amazing but the final boss was just another named NPC bulletsponge battle)
Watchdogs

I'm starting think I either have unrealistic expectations for boss fights, or it's a loss art.

i agree with all them actually. well can't say much of the division because i couldn't bring myself to finish it as the game is way too repetitive and there is hardly any story.

i think to be fair to Diablo 3 i did have trouble with Diablo and even more Malthael but only when i first played them as part of the campaign but after that they are just yet another boss. nothing really makes them stand out.

Ahasverus

Final Fantasy XV. The series know for its extravagant boss fights ends with a dude in a scarf. I like the game, but that is really dissapointing.

TW3 also fits in here. The game gives you invincibilidy ffs. thankfully, Blood and Wine ends with a fantastic boss, worthy of Castlevania or something like that.

The AC series has had terrible nderwhelming bosses since BroHood.

Arkham Knight.. didn't have one.

Resident Evil 7: just a big blob.
Horizon: Zero Dawn

A pretty regular mini-boss that you had defeated two of in the past two hours that you get to fight again.
This one was also painful. I thought we were going to fight a metal devil.

Fbh

A pretty regular mini-boss that you had defeated two of in the past two hours that you get to fight again.

Oh man this one too.
I was getting ready for an amazing final boss. Some cool giant robot that will make me use all my weapons and skills while providing some amazing visual spectacle.

Aaand it's just a slightly enhanced version of the same machine I've already killed like 6 times.
Even during the fight I was holding on to hope expecting a second form or something....nope.

Gonna agree with Breath of the Wild. Ganon was really easy for a final boss, and it's one of the few things I wished was different about the game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Moon Presence isn't really the final boss though, more of a bonus boss. Plenty of my friends who played Bloodborne never even knew about it.

so what boss can you fight after moon presence?

doesn't matter if it's bonus/secret/optional...it's the last boss you can possibly fight in the playthrough therefore it is a final boss. not so hard to understand. gehrman can be considered a final boss too because depending on what you do it might be your final boss but if you do everything then it's moon presence.

Dynomutt

Augustine in infamous Second Son. With all of the great bosses and characters prior she felt super underwhelming.

Still love the game though top five this generation hands down. Well for me at least.

Pretty much every Souls game ever, saying that as a big Souls fan.

Orphan of Kos is the only great final boss, but that's the final boss of the DLC, not the vanilla game.

Zaventem

so what boss can you fight after moon presence?

doesn't matter if it's bonus/secret/optional...it's the last boss you can possibly fight in the playthrough therefore it is a final boss. not so hard to understand. gehrman can be considered a final boss too because depending on what you do it might be your final boss but if you do everything then it's moon presence.

Final Boss and hidden bosses aren't always the same thing. Besides to answer your question the challice dungeon comprises of many bosses you don't have to partake in.
You have to go out your way to fight Moon Presence. With that said it was a poor boss in terms of attack patterns and expected more.

I'm totally in the camp that I'd love to have faced someone unique, but it's not the same mini-boss. It's definitely a super-charged version that I'm pretty sure has additional moves, plus the reinforcements.

Final Fantasy X -
Yu Yevon

That's more a playable cutscene than the final boss. The real final boss is
Lord Braska's Final Aeon
, and that one's great.

DrArchon

Monster Hunter is the king of underwhelming final boss fights which is weird since MH has some of the best bosses of any game ever.

Shen Gaoren: A giant crab that doesn't even attack you. You just whack at it's legs while it tries to destroy a fort.

Ceadeus: A big sea monster. The first phase of the fight consists of you attacking the fur around it's neck while it swims through a corridor ignoring you. The second phase is better (It actively targets you!) but not by much.

Ivory Lagiacrus: A land based variant of a monster you've already fought. Yay.

Rusted Kushala Daora: This is more of an interactive cutscene than a boss fight.

Glavenus: This is actually a fun fight, but it's not final boss material. Especially since you could have killed a more difficult version earlier in the game (You're meant to run from it but you can stay and fight if you want).

Zinogre: Same reasons as Glavenus.

I guess you could call those final boss fights, but I wouldn't seeing as 99% of the content in Monster Hunter games is in multiplayer and at G-rank when available.

I'd consider the actual final bosses to be monsters like Alatreon, Gogmazios, Amatsu, etc.

Ridley327

Monster Hunter is the king of underwhelming final boss fights which is weird since MH has some of the best bosses of any game ever.

Shen Gaoren: A giant crab that doesn't even attack you. You just whack at it's legs while it tries to destroy a fort.

Ceadeus: A big sea monster. The first phase of the fight consists of you attacking the fur around it's neck while it swims through a corridor ignoring you. The second phase is better (It actively targets you!) but not by much.

Ivory Lagiacrus: A land based variant of a monster you've already fought. Yay.

Rusted Kushala Daora: This is more of an interactive cutscene than a boss fight.

Glavenus: This is actually a fun fight, but it's not final boss material. Especially since you could have killed a more difficult version earlier in the game (You're meant to run from it but you can stay and fight if you want).

Zinogre: Same reasons as Glavenus.

Here's a good question: do final bosses in multiplayer modes get counted differently? While I don't disagree that MH final bosses don't do a whole lot, the ones geared towards multiplayer are far more exciting. That's why it's tough for me to say that MH3 has an underwhelming final boss, because for me, the final boss of that game was Alatreon.

LeleSocho

Banned
Gael
in Dark Souls 3, as the final boss of the Dark Souls franchise you expect something truly amazing that even if it doesn't answer all your questions of the lore it at least gives a meaning to what you did... instead we get that that is as one of the many bosses in the franchise nothing more nothing less.

Neff

Bayonetta 2's final boss was incredibly underwhelming considering it's a) PlatinumGames and b) Bayonetta. When the credits started rolling, I almost couldn't believe it.

exfatal

Sonic Mania last boss was garbage, along with the boss after u get all the emeralds as well. Was really disappointed with alot of their boss fights actually.
Also Breath of the Wild

HonMirin

Mass Effect 3
Where's our big showdown with Harbinger? We had a perfectly fine template for fighting a Reaper on foot in the Rannoch mission, so why not scale that up to ridiculous size? Could even have the amount of damage you do scale directly with how big a fleet you assembled. But no. A boring, standard Marauder is the last enemy.
He lived as Marauder Shields, but died as Marauder Health. He tried to keep us from The Ending, but we ignored his pleas. Honored be his sacrifice.
There's a picture of this. Anyone got it?

kc44135

I love Resident Evil 7, but the "final boss" was crap. It was more or less a QTE. I spent the whole game same my Magnum ammo for... absolutely nothing. Damn, I was salty when those credits started rolling, lol. The real final boss of the game, sadly, is the
encounter with the two Molded fatties in the Mines.
. So disappointing, and a lackluster ending to an otherwise excellent game.

MrBadger

Gunstar Super Heroes, for opening on an explosive awesome looking robot, and ending on a shitty boss that doesn't even move.

First boss:
397783-gunstar_10.jpg

Final boss:
2001104-gs_battle.jpg

Sonic Mania last boss was garbage, along with the boss after u get all the emeralds as well. Was really disappointed with alot of their boss fights actually.
Also Breath of the Wild

That's because they were on a tight schedule towards the end. Originally, the final boss was probably going to be
that huge robot in the background of Titanic Monarch, as people have found a 3D model in the game's files, and there was an interview with the composer that said that was the case.

https://youtu.be/yeRJj2DcXXY?t=6m57s

TheJoRu

Considering how amazing the rest of the game is the final boss of Pikmin 3 is quite bad. It's not horrible, but I found it tedious and not particularly fun.

Disagree.

I thought Ardyn was a breath of fresh JRPG air. No silly FINAL FORM nonsense, no cliched multi-limbed/winged transformation. Just a very personal king vs king slugfest.

I didn't dislike the concept itself, in fact I like the idea. But even without transformation the battle could still have had a more epic presentation IMO. It almost felt like the game was tricking me into thinking it was only the first part of the final battle, and I was very disappointed when it turned out it was all there was to it.

There's a picture of this. Anyone got it?

lol there are entire comics about Marauder Shields. The last enemy you fight in mass effect is a creature called a Marauder. Pretty much a low level enemy in the game you have fought thousands of times. His second name "Shields" comes from the "shield" label indicating his shield strength.

I can't think of a last boss in recent times that I didn't one shot. It seems a lot of devs go for the big climactic or art stle end where dying ruins the moment.

Socivol

Disagree.

I thought Ardyn was a breath of fresh JRPG air. No silly FINAL FORM nonsense, no cliched multi-limbed/winged transformation. Just a very personal king vs king slugfest.

I thought the first half was great but the second half was stupid. Also, of all the final bosses in the series
it would've made the MOST sense for Ardyn to have an additional final form since he has a ton of daemons absorbed into him. The fact that we saw his "true" form in Chapter 13 but not at the end was really disappointing.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
that thing in halo 3 if you could count it as a boss

Halo 3 didn’t have a final boss as such - it was a (not so good) replica of CE’s warthog run. Still fun, though. Unless you meant 343 Guilty Spark, which wasn’t meant to be a finale of any kind.

Halo 4’s final boss, though - was a QTE...

XV's final boss felt like it needed a monster phase before the true final fight, but I guess that's what
Ifrit
was there for. Wish we could have fought them together.

Conversely XIII-2 should have ended with a human Caius fight. MGSV's Chapter 1 also ends without a boss fight with Skull Face. What a wet fart of an end.

sibarraz

Banned
Yakuza 5. Both from an story and gameplay perspective

I didn't dislike the concept itself, in fact I like the idea. But even without transformation the battle could still have had a more epic presentation IMO. It almost felt like the game was tricking me into thinking it was only the first part of the final battle, and I was very disappointed when it turned out it was all there was to it.

The fight would have been awesome, if weren't because the final phase felt like a mashing buttons contest.

Ridley327

Considering how amazing the rest of the game is the final boss of Pikmin 3 is quite bad. It's not horrible, but I found it tedious and not particularly fun.

He just has too much health. The idea behind him is great, since it calls on you to juggle the three captains as they take charge with their Pikmin regiments depending on what form he takes.

That being said, the Quaggled Mireclops was way too good a design and concept to not be a final boss, so having him be the one just before does take the wind out of the sails.

Top Bottom