• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

Numb

Metro eats

d7b166148a637b8a1f5e084f88eff909.360x203x27.gif

shoelacer

Banned
Oh no doubt. Compared to NAV or the Cash Me Ousside girl or Cardi B or any rappers making pop plays, he's low tier.

But, then what separates Post Malone from a Jake Paul? The fact that Post can crank out a good song?

I'm not a fan but pretty much, yeah, the thing that separates them is that one of them has a modicum of actual talent

Also Cardi is a treasure

Dereck

Dope breh, threw on Nature Loops the other day while I was reading, was perfect
great

With harder drums some of these loops could be the base for some disgusting-ass beats on some Alc shit. "Gameofthrones with black people" is grimy, whew. "Loogie" and "hyrool" are nice. Outro too. Loving the overall mood of this whole thing. What stuff have you sampled?
thanks, ive sampled national geographic doumentaries, tv shows, kids tv shows, super nintendo games

Basement beat could be an intro to an old cartoon like Duckula
thanks

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I honestly watch more interviews of many artists than I actually listen to their music (if I do at all), lol. Like, German Rap I don't listen to outside of a few loosies here and there, but I've still been following interviews almost on a daily basis for the last 10 years. Well, German Rap is much more entertaining outside of the music than US Rap anyway tbh and interviews have gotten something like special events that people hype up and become viral. Ridiculous beefs all the time, some rappers being protected by criminal Arab clans whose bosses are celebs in the scene themselves and do interviews too (recently one livestreamed with knife wounds after they're been in a shooting with another rap crew's clan), rappers hiring their rival's ex-girlfriends for fucked up pranks on their rivals (making them drink piss without them knowing etc.), a rapper's little brother visiting his brother's rivals all on his own to apologize on camera for his 20 years older brother while 100 scary goons stand around him and then had to be bodyguarded on his way out because people wanted to beat him up... crazy shit here at times 😂
That is rather crazy lol! I usually only read an article if someone posts. There was a, Jezebel article posted in the PopGaf Discord on that did a really good history on
the rise and fall of Iggy Azela
Post Malone is believable. I don't listen to his music heavy, but when I do peep him it appears genuine... basically he's not offensive.

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD WATCH ARTIST INTERVIEWS.
I don't care for Lil Uzi Vert, but via youtube auto-play I stumbled across one of his interviews and I opened up to listening to his music. On the opposite end I watched interviews of Vic Vensa and Dave East and did care to listen to their music afterward.
I’m rather weird when it comes to music outside of the artist. I don’t really watch music videos, I don’t really follow the artist at all. Well I’m assuming if Post Malone did come off as offensive he wouldn’t be as popular.
holy shit post malone is popular. 16 million listeners on spotify.

congratulations has 400 million plays.
That’s insane, I had no idea!
Yeah, the album had over a billion streams on Spotify in April.
...omg, I’ll be adding another soon (listening to Khalid album, it’s so good so far (on track 4)) (also will be adding Apple Music stream and not Spotify)

Moonkid

I meant all-time, not this year.
I know heh. I've certainly listened to a lot more hip hop this year but I'm hesitant to put my foot down with a list when I've still yet to dig in and appreciate the discography of groups like Tribe and Wu Tang and solo artists like Jay Z and Pac. Can I do a top five or six :p?

Top ten.

10. None Shall Pass
9. Marshall Mathers LP
8. Labor Days
7. Pauls Boutique
6. GKMC
5. TPAB
4. Enter the 36 Chambers
3. Bizarre Ride II
2. Illmatic
1. People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

HiResDes

Armand Hammer - Race Music
Danny Brown - XXX
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Dalek - Abandoned Language
Three 6 Mafia - Da End
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Quelle Chris - Niggas is Men
Dipset - Diplomatic Immunity Vol. 1
Blu - HerFavoriteColour

As always try to make my list as personal as possible.

Ninja Dom

Danny Brown - XXX
Three 6 Mafia - Da End
Blu - HerFavoriteColour

You fucks with Dipset but did you move over to Max B?

HiResDes

Does anyone have a list of "underground classics" along the same lines of the generic list you'd have for "mainstream" rap.
How many do you want, how about ten for now, we'll just call this homework for anyone that hasn't heard these:

Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves
The Nonce - World Ultimate
Souls of Mischief - 93 Til Infinity
Nice & Smooth - Nice & Smooth
Freestyle Fellowship - Innercity Griots
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Clouddead - Ten
Do or Die - Picture This
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded

codhand

How many do you want, how about ten for now, we'll just call this homework for anyone that hasn't heard these:

Clouddead - Ten
Do or Die - Picture This

vCd_-j.gif

Clouddead - Ten
Do or Die - Picture This

Great recs, I can't recommend Breaking Atoms more. Inner city Griots I discovered last year too. I haven't heard that Nice and Smooth album, but I dug their verses on Hard to Earn.

Danny Brown - XXX
Three 6 Mafia - Da End
Blu - HerFavoriteColour

You know, Chapter 2 used to be my second favorite triple six, but I now have trouble deciding between Chapter 1 or 2.

XXXtentacion has 5 songs in the Billboard Hot 100 right now. Danielle Bregoli has 1

xxx off-field (outside of music) antics made me tune out his music. I listened to 17, it was cool... read that torturous interview about him and haven't clicked 17 since.

Bhad Bhabie - These Heaux is a good song, on par with today's music.

Top Bottom