• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 2DS XL - Hardware Review Thread

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got to buy one of these because my Majora's Mask New 3DS XL doesn't even turn on any more. It froze constantly and now only turns on the blue light but with no screen.

Does anyone know if the screen sizes of this are the same as the New 3DS XL? Trying to order a screen protector, but not sure if I need one made specifically for the New 2DS XL.

I like the hardware much more than I expected to, its extremely nice to look at.

20424196_743465602503173_298967891178622728_o.jpg

Hey y'all, I wanted to go to a GS about 20 min away and pick up an AC amiibo 3 pack for $10, but highly tempted to grab a 2DS XL while I'm there.

I've got enough in GS credit to make both purchases (and I'm in a state that does in-store credit tax free).

Think I should splurge?
I kinda already have a lot of 3DS's (aqua blue OG, ALBW XL, Hyrule nXL, Black Friday black n3DS, and Fates nXL), but I never shop at GS and the credit will just be sitting there waiting for neon Joy-Cons to pop up.

Dominator

Gonna pick mine up later, I've had a few 3DS systems in the past but this one is gonna be my final one. I have my profile backed up to another system so gonna transfer it and my games later tonight to this new one.

I already have a Switch, I just like having one of each console.

Hey y'all, I wanted to go to a GS about 20 min away and pick up an AC amiibo 3 pack for $10, but highly tempted to grab a 2DS XL while I'm there.

I've got enough in GS credit to make both purchases (and I'm in a state that does in-store credit tax free).

Think I should splurge?
I kinda already have a lot of 3DS's (aqua blue OG, ALBW XL, Hyrule nXL, Black Friday black n3DS, and Fates nXL), but I never shop at GS and the credit will just be sitting there waiting for neon Joy-Cons to pop up.

Sounds like a waste of money you could use toward other things coming out later this year/ early next

Was on the fence about it, but decided to get one.

Coming back from a New 3DS and need to get used to those pixels on the bigger screen! The system feels great and I really like the size. It's a little wider than the N3DS and a little over an inch longer, but feels like a good size with those massive screens.

The issue I see right now is the wobble on the hinge though, the screen seems to bounce around a lot. Not too annoying yet, but definitely noticeable.

And I need to stop biting my nails, the cartridge door is much harder to open than the Switch!

Mogwai

Was on the fence about it, but decided to get one.

Coming back from a New 3DS and need to get used to those pixels on the bigger screen! The system feels great and I really like the size. It's a little wider than the N3DS and a little over an inch longer, but feels like a good size with those massive screens.

The issue I see right now is the wobble on the hinge though, the screen seems to bounce around a lot. Not too annoying yet, but definitely noticeable.

And I need to stop biting my nails, the cartridge door is much harder to open than the Switch!
Does the hinge only wobble or does it also slide sideways like the New 3DS XL?

GamerJM

Banned
Picked mine up today. It's a cool system, I really like the design, though I'll stick with the New 3DS XL for my main 3DS since I really like the 3D.

Also, since I haven't read much of anything about this, the buttons/D-Pad are a little stiffer than the ones on the New 3DS XL. If anything they remind me a little bit of the GBA SP? I'll have to compare them to some of my other systems. It's not a huge difference though. I think I prefer how the New 3DS XL's are, but these are totally fine and the difference doesn't feel huge (compared to the original 2DS, which I thought had pretty crappy D-Pad/buttons).

Persona7

Banned

Think I should splurge?

Why bother if you already have five? lol. waste of money.

Shauni

Think I should splurge?

In general, I would say go for it, but...you have five, man. You have five.

GamerJM

Banned
This was my sixth <_<

I have an OG, an OG XL, a 2DS, an OG LL (the Japanese version of the XL, bought for imports), a New 3DS XL, and now I have a New 2DS XL.

I'm actually kinda wishing I bought a Japanese 2DS LL instead now that I'm thinking about it, would have been a cheap way to upgrade my OG XL so I can finally play those sweet SFC VC games.

SheHateMe

Looking at this, it might be a good upgrade for my wife's OG 3DS.

I got the Black Friday New 3DS and once I got a grip for it, I love it and can't see myself using the XL.

But then again, she doesn't play her 3DS that much anymore. I might just let this ride out, especially if the screen is as flimsy as y'all say.

sublimit

Banned
I bought one (white/orange) today!This is the first time i have a 3DS/2DS system of own (in the past i borrowed a friend's 3DS a couple of times)!I already had bought Dragon Quest VII and Ever Oasis when they came out so i'm looking forward to finally play them.

Really love how the white/orange looks by the way!

Arkeband

Banned
Reviews comparing it to the Switch screen are the stupidest thing I've ever read. Was there ever an expectation that suddenly the screens would somehow transcend into some modern resolution... in a less expensive model? Like, what the fuck? Slap these people.

The (bottom?) screens being TN instead of IPS seem like a valid complaint considering the screens were a total gamble on previous models.

Got mine today, absolutely loving it. It's kind of amazing how light it feels. My previous 3DS XL didn't bother me or anything but jeez, it's great. No issues with sounds, perfectly audible despite the new speaker location. Hinge is the same as the last three 3ds units we bought in terms of quality, no looser no tighter. The fact the chassis has been slimmer down with no reduction to the screens kind of gives me a false impression of the screens actually being a little bigger now. I think my only potential bug bear is the slight groove where the shell of the bottom half fits together, I wish that was less obvious in my palm but otherwise, really happy. I wasn't sure if it would be a full thumbs up as an upgrade from my previous unit but this will easily see me through a fairly busy second half of the year line-up.

My system transfer did take forever though :(

Transfer complete. I love this thing, it is so light! And I love it because I can finally play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go!

Here is the case I picked up for it. Normally $12.99 on Amazon, but Amazon Warehouse Deals has some "used" ones for $8.21 so I said why not. It actually is very nice and doesn't even look used. Amazon Warehouse Deals still has some in stock for this price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QWYX8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

After returning my first one to Best Buy (huge chunk of dust/dirt underneath the screen on that one) and getting everything transferred over and messing around with it for an hour, I'm pretty pleased with mine.

Complaints? Well, the shoulder buttons feel a lot mushier than those on the New 3DS XL. The stylus is absurdly short and everything everyone has said about this being a finger oil magnet is absolutely true. And yeah, the speakers are pretty tinny, though you really gotta manhandle this thing to completely block them.

That said, coming from an IPS New 3DS XL, I'm not really bothered by the screens (though they do seem to have sort of a slight motion blur to the top screen in particular - guess this is the TN display in action?), and holy shit this thing is incredibly light by comparison. As someone who is probably teetering toward carpal tunnel syndrome, this just feels a whole hell of a lot more comfortable to use for extended sessions.

Aesthetically, trimming all of the bezels and relocating various functions (like the front camera, speakers, home button) make the thing look pretty great in action. It's kinda hard to explain, but with less real estate between the two screens, and the top screen sort of occupying its own unfettered space, it honestly seems a bit better than any other 3DS I've used in action.

Definitely gonna hold onto my New 3DS XL, but for anyone considering a 3DS in general, and doesn't mind losing the 3D, yeah, maybe go for this one. It's pretty great.

How can Verge put no 3D as a con?

It's a 2DS!! It's not meant to have it. That's why they have a 3DS idiots.

Sucks about the wobbly screen but this is still the best looking DS model to date imo

Poppyseed

Transfer complete. I love this thing, it is so light! And I love it because I can finally play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go!

Here is the case I picked up for it. Normally $12.99 on Amazon, but Amazon Warehouse Deals has some "used" ones for $8.21 so I said why not. It actually is very nice and doesn't even look used. Amazon Warehouse Deals still has some in stock for this price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QWYX8E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That looks like an IPS top screen?

Wow, I didn't realize so many SNES games are available on virtual console for the New 3DS family. If I don't end up getting an SNES Classic (and believe me I am going to try), I won't actually be too mad. I'll just spend that money on VC.

FSLink

Banned
It comes with 11.4 if anyone is interested. I updated it to 11.5 and did the System Transfer with DSi save exploit thing to install homebrew on it (used 3ds.guide as usual)

Wow, I didn't realize so many SNES games are available on virtual console for the New 3DS family. If I don't end up getting an SNES Classic (and believe me I am going to try), I won't actually be too mad. I'll just spend that money on VC.

The emulation is really good with pixel perfect and there's games not on the snes classic worth getting.

DKC 2-3, Breath of Fire 1-2, Demon's Crest.

Top Bottom