• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Gestault

I keep seeing incrementally less expensive digital copies popping up on the different marketplaces, and I'm super interested, but a little skittish about the quirks. I was a late-comer to finding out about the port performance.

senj

Why don't you lay fixing the game at Platinum's feet?
Because I don't work for free, and neither should they? It's on the publisher to contract for post-release support. Platinum did this work-for-hire. They don't own Nier. Without SE hiring them to patch it, they have no more right to work on it than you or I.

Mohasus

Because I don't work for free, and neither should they? It's on the publisher to contract for post-release support. Platinum did this work-for-hire. They don't own Nier. Without SE hiring them to patch it, they have no more right to work on it than you or I.

Must be nice to do a bad job the first time and then get paid to fix it.

Yeah. I'd still place most of the blame on Square-Enix for approving its release in the first place, but there's no reason Platinum should escape some criticism too. They created the poor product in the first place. It's likely Platinum doesn't even have the option to fix the game, even for 'free', but they still should have developed it so elements like cutscenes and fullscreen worked properly from day one.

Pixieking

Banned

Not defending the system, but this is the games industry. Many games are released with issues, which are then later fixed (or sometimes not).

Whilst an argument could be made that these issues were fairly simple and shouldn't have slipped through, it could also be that Square knew about the problems and just refused to give the devs time to fix them before release. Or it could be that Platinum have asked Square to allow them to work on the game for a negligible fee, but have been refused.

In any event, arguing that a developer should fix a game they don't publish free of charge is just arguing for a troubling precedent to be set.

I keep seeing incrementally less expensive digital copies popping up on the different marketplaces, and I'm super interested, but a little skittish about the quirks. I was a late-comer to finding out about the port performance.

Yea me too, skimming the thread what would be a quick summary of the performance for a potential purchaser like me? I'm interested but seeing some issues.

longdi

Banned
Yea me too, skimming the thread what would be a quick summary of the performance for a potential purchaser like me? I'm interested but seeing some issues.

I played it on 980Ti and 1080Ti, both without FAR. 1440p resolution. No issues, aside 2-3 early crashes, which i suspect are due to my unstable 980Ti OC, dial it back and no crashes.

Changed to a OC 1080Ti 1/3 way thru the game, completed ABCDE endings without fuss.

I guess if you are on AMD gpu then you will face problems, ironic as the game was built on PS4 AMD gpu.

Ascheroth

I played it on 980Ti and 1080Ti, both without FAR. 1440p resolution. No issues, aside 2-3 early crashes, which i suspect are due to my unstable 980Ti OC, dial it back and no crashes.

Changed to a OC 1080Ti 1/3 way thru the game, completed ABCDE endings without fuss.

I guess if you are on AMD gpu then you will face problems, ironic as the game was built on PS4 AMD gpu.
Not true. R9 290, ~50 hours, no FAR, no crashes, at launch.
Issues were with the 4xx series, but that was apparently fixed in a driver update.

Bumping this, i'm about to buy the game in a few days and i can't decide on what version to get. I got a 1070 and 6700k so performance isn't much of an issue. I know there's a fix a'la dsfix you need but as i understand there's still a bunch of crashing with this release, together with stuttering in cutscenes and stuff (i dont know if far fixes that though).

Is it still riddled with issues despite the FARfix? I might just get it on ps4 if so, but damn i do want the visuals and solid 60 too.

Stygr

Banned
Bumping this, i'm about to buy the game in a few days and i can't decide on what version to get. I got a 1070 and 6700k so performance isn't much of an issue. I know there's a fix a'la dsfix you need but as i understand there's still a bunch of crashing with this release, together with stuttering in cutscenes and stuff (i dont know if far fixes that though).

Is it still riddled with issues despite the FARfix? I might just get it on ps4 if so, but damn i do want the visuals and solid 60 too.

I5 6600k, gtx 1070 here.
Playing with Far, 60 fps with no issues.

Paragon

A 1070 will handle up to 1440p without any problem. Drops to about 50 FPS at 3440x1440 for me.
As long as you install FAR it's fine, if you plan on using a controller to play the game.

A 1070 will handle up to 1440p without any problem. Drops to about 50 FPS at 3440x1440 for me.
As long as you install FAR it's fine, if you plan on using a controller to play the game.

Yeah i was gonna play this on steam link. So i'm planning 1080p with as much bells and whisles as possible. There's still the thing that i kinda have that thing for being able to loan my games out to friends and stuff, but i might go for pc on this. Especially since it's on sale and i got some steam cash.

With that hardware setup of yours and FAR installed it should run well.
No problems on my 7700K/1080 setup, using a PS4 controller with PS4 button prompts mod.

I have been playing the game recently. I downloaded FAR and installed it. No crashes. The framerate is generally okay (between 55-60fps), however I usually get some noticeable stutter during gameplay especially in wide open areas, the pattern seems to be when loading these areas.

I have Windows 10, 4690K and a GTX 970. Should I be expecting this quality of experience with my specs, or has anyone with a similar setup cracked it with their graphical settings?

dawid

Übersandvich;249962283 said:
I have been playing the game recently. I downloaded FAR and installed it. No crashes. The framerate is generally okay (between 55-60fps), however I usually get some noticeable stutter during gameplay especially in wide open areas, the pattern seems to be when loading these areas.

I have Windows 10, 4690K and a GTX 970. Should I be expecting this quality of experience with my specs, or has anyone with a similar setup cracked it with their graphical settings?

I get the same in window borderless mode. In pure fullscreen the game is 100% smooth however.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how can i disable the keyboard while playing with a controller?

If your issue is that the game insists that you use the keyboard and won't let you use the controller, try enabling Steam's in-built controller support (Steam -> Settings -> Controller -> General Controller Settings).

Shifty1897

Nope. Last official word on it was months ago.

The fan patch works very well though.

I bought the game and installed the fan patch before ever booting the game up and was very happy with performance. It also helps that it's Game of the Year material in a year where some of the best games of all time have been released.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did they ever patch/fix the performance issues?

Nope, and that's not going to change. The last time Squeenix uploaded a new build of the game to Steam was when it released the DLC prep update. That was more than six months ago now.

Really lost with this one; if I use fullscreen mode, the game runs at 24hz, but switch to borderless fullscreen and it's 60hz.

i7 3770k & gtx670 (lol i know)

thing is the game worked perfectly before, I decided to start another playthrough and this happens. Also uninstalled/re-installed FAR, no luck. I also get that stuttering issue but it's almost 100% of the time.

I can't work out why the game was fine to start with.

Top Bottom