• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

zedge

I have to be honest I am disappointed with the screen on this phone. I think I prefer my GS2, white is more white and black is pure black. My Gnex is not pure black in the dark, it has very faint light splotches and a slight glow. WTF Also the white.. what the hell is wrong with the white? Its so grainy, literally looks like a very fine screen door.. I just can't un see it. :( Also notice some screen retention switching between apps sometimes.

I really like the phone but this screen is killing it for me. :/ Are any of these issues software related? Phone is 4.0.2, do the newer versions offer better screen calibration?

My 2000mah extended battery and cover arrived from South Korea this morning. Looking forward to seeing how much screen time in can squeeze out of it, but I am impressed how much better the phone feels with the new backplate, looks and feels a lot more solid.

kinggroin

Banned
My 2000mah extended battery and cover arrived from South Korea this morning. Looking forward to seeing how much screen time in can squeeze out of it, but I am impressed how much better the phone feels with the new backplate, looks and feels a lot more solid.

I'm hearing the same thing, and it makes sense. The greater surface area, the farther your grip is pushed apart. Having the extra girth, fills the hand better.

Heh.

Zeppu

Just got my Server 404 update! Finally!

CAME HERE TO POST THIS!!!

OMGOMGOMG

Edit:
3G91ql.png

Brilliant.

rozay

Banned
I have to be honest I am disappointed with the screen on this phone. I think I prefer my GS2, white is more white and black is pure black. My Gnex is not pure black in the dark, it has very faint light splotches and a slight glow. WTF Also the white.. what the hell is wrong with the white? Its so grainy, literally looks like a very fine screen door.. I just can't un see it. :( Also notice some screen retention switching between apps sometimes.

I really like the phone but this screen is killing it for me. :/ Are any of these issues software related? Phone is 4.0.2, do the newer versions offer better screen calibration?
I would suggest you go with a different phone if the screen issues bother you. The slight glow is documented and I'm not sure why it happens (someone theorized that leaving the pixels on very dimly saves more power overall than repeatedly turning them on and off) and the white physically can't be a normal white. Screen retention is also something that can happen on any AMOLED phone, it'll be hilarious if the OLED TVs have the same issues too.

rozay

Banned
two people in the XDA thread recieved nexus phones from the play store with purple tints on the grays and after contacting customer service were able to get replacement phones shipped overnight to them. Might jump on it now.

kehs

Banned
two people in the XDA thread recieved nexus phones from the play store with purple tints on the grays and after contacting customer service were able to get replacement phones shipped overnight to them. Might jump on it now.

The most amazing part of this is that they got in touch with customer service!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

This is such crap, they haven't even shipped mine (placed the order April 25th). I'm going to cancel the order on Monday.

edit:
The most amazing part of this is that they got in touch with customer service!

There's a number you can call and you can speak to a live human being!! Totally not typical Google. They were even super nice.

zedge

I would suggest you go with a different phone if the screen issues bother you. The slight glow is documented and I'm not sure why it happens (someone theorized that leaving the pixels on very dimly saves more power overall than repeatedly turning them on and off) and the white physically can't be a normal white. Screen retention is also something that can happen on any AMOLED phone, it'll be hilarious if the OLED TVs have the same issues too.

I may learn to deal with it. However my gs2 has none of these issues, it is amoled. The gnex is more enjoyable to use overall.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
hold on a second here... Google has actual humans you can talk to with your voice now?

so it's just Valve left huh...

It might be Samsungs people they're just linking to, although the menus were specific to google play orders. I know for the Nexus One you could get phone support, but it was handled by HTC's people on behalf of google, so it's not the first time.

Edit:
I may learn to deal with it. However my gs2 has none of these issues, it is amoled. The gnex is more enjoyable to use overall

Your gs2 is super amoled PLUS, the gnex doesn't have the plus. The plus amoleds dont use pentile.

Futureman

Early upgrade in a month, probably gonna get the GNEX.

My Droid X still feels powerful enough, so faster chips and what not mean absolutely nothing to me. Just want that pure Goog excellence.

rozay

Banned
I may learn to deal with it. However my gs2 has none of these issues, it is amoled. The gnex is more enjoyable to use overall.
If the phone has warranty still, you could always try getting a replacement, though you still have a chance of recieving a bad screen in that unit too :/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Early upgrade in a month, probably gonna get the GNEX.

My Droid X still feels powerful enough, so faster chips and what not mean absolutely nothing to me. Just want that pure Goog excellence.

Pure Google is overrated, the OEM skins are getting better and you can just use a launcher anyway. ICS still isn't entirely coherent design-wise, and 3rd party skins are not the laggy, ugly system-hogging beasts they used to be based on the reviews I've read. The best reason for picking a Nexus device has always been the implication of 1st priority in OS updates, and Google screwed that up. When you have phones with OEM skins getting ICS before some Nexus S phones, you've basically thrown the biggest reason to own a stock Google phone out the window. With the upcoming awesomeness of the GSIII and HTC OneX and all the other superphones coming out, I'd be hesitant to give that up just for a "pure" Google experience that's just not indisputably better any more.

Yen

Buying a new phone: Nexus vs SII. They both seem pretty similar from what I've seen. What seperates the two? It seems to be the screen from my research.

thespot84

Buying a new phone: Nexus vs SII. They both seem pretty similar from what I've seen. What seperates the two? It seems to be the screen from my research.

no gigantic waste of space that are hardware buttons :p.

camera is better on the SII though. I don't use it much so i don't care.

HeySeuss

Picked this up yesterday. I don't have any purple hue on my greys. Upgraded from an Incredible and wow what a difference! Sucks the autocorrect doesn't work on gaf though...

Gabyskra

Banned
Updated to 4.0.4 this week... I expected improvements, but they're major:
- sometimes the phone would make cracking sounds when playing some mp3 files, like 1 out of 50 songs in my collection... Only when the screen would be turned off. This is gone.
- Multitasking is so much faster. The bottom right corner button was not very enjoyable before, now I use it all the god damn time.
- I don't have apps FC on me. I'm sure it'll happen, but it's stable.
- it's just faster overall.

kinggroin

Banned
Pure Google is overrated, the OEM skins are getting better and you can just use a launcher anyway. ICS still isn't entirely coherent design-wise, and 3rd party skins are not the laggy, ugly system-hogging beasts they used to be based on the reviews I've read. The best reason for picking a Nexus device has always been the implication of 1st priority in OS updates, and Google screwed that up. When you have phones with OEM skins getting ICS before some Nexus S phones, you've basically thrown the biggest reason to own a stock Google phone out the window. With the upcoming awesomeness of the GSIII and HTC OneX and all the other superphones coming out, I'd be hesitant to give that up just for a "pure" Google experience that's just not indisputably better any more.

While the nexus s fiasco sucked, it still got ICS in the end (fully hardware accelerated). I still feel much more confident that any nexus device I get, will be supported for at least two android iterations past the one it ships with. While going HTC, Sammy or Moto means maybe one update, depending on how flagship the device. How many of these phones that are only JUST getting ICS this year, will also get jelly bean? Or if they do, how long will the wait be. Of course, there's always custom roms right? Well, that brings me to the next thing...

The modding community for the pure devices also seems to be the best. Less issues with drivers and such means getting new AOSP built updates with fully working hardware. I can't tell you how many times I've installed the best AOSP roms for non nexus phones that always have that "but this doesn't work" catch, at least until there's an official kernel update that can be the basis for the new rom, or suitable drivers are found for the version of android being used.

Also, no waste of space by using those unchangeable hardware buttons.

Oh, and those 3rd party manufacturers skins are still gaudy and even less coherent than vanilla, even if it's less so than it was in the past. Though they usually bring some admittedly nice features (that can be had with custom roms on the nexus side anyway).

Still, with the improvements made on the hardware AND software end (with ICS providing a fully accelerated interface) when it comes to 3rd party manufacturers, the gap is closing. I have no problem recommending a ONE X or GS3 to someone who's stuck between those phones and a GN.

DEO3

I'm looking to buy my first smartphone, and after doing some research it seems like the unlocked $399 GSM Galaxy Nexus, straight from Google, on a $45 Straight Talk plan seems to be the best bang for my buck at the moment.

I was considering the $30 T-mobile plan with 100 minutes and unlimited data, but I'd in all likely hood blow through the 100 minutes in a couple of days, and T-mobile doesn't have good enough data coverage in my area to make calls through a VOIP service.

Before I place my order, would anyone like to make any other recommendations?

rozay

Banned
I'm looking to buy my first smartphone, and after doing some research it seems like the unlocked $399 GSM Galaxy Nexus, straight from Google, on a $45 Straight Talk plan seems to be the best bang for my buck at the moment.

I was considering the $30 T-mobile plan with 100 minutes and unlimited data, but I'd in all likely hood blow through the 100 minutes in a couple of days, and T-mobile doesn't have good enough data coverage in my area to make calls through a VOIP service.

Before I place my order, would anyone like to make any other recommendations?
Is straight talk cheaper than redpocket? (another at&t MVNO)

DEO3

Is straight talk cheaper than redpocket? (another at&t MVNO)

I've never heard of Red Pocket before, but looking at their plans it seems like Straight Talk would be cheaper. $45 gets you Unlimited Talk/Text/Web - though I hear they'll start messaging or even calling you if you use more than 1-2GBs a month, as opposed to $59.99 for Red Pocket's 2GB plan.

Seeing as this will be my first smart phone I'm not really sure how much data I'll need, I'm assuming if I use my home wifi to download aps, podcasts, music and what not, 1-2GBs should be enough for occasional web browsing and navigation when I'm out and about.

Ephemeris

I've never heard of Red Pocket before, but looking at their plans it seems like Straight Talk would be cheaper. $45 gets you Unlimited Talk/Text/Web - though I hear they'll start messaging or even calling you if you use more than 1-2GBs a month, as opposed to $59.99 for Red Pocket's 2GB plan.

Seeing as this will be my first smart phone I'm not really sure how much data I'll need, I'm assuming if I use my home wifi to download aps, podcasts, music and what not, 1-2GBs should be enough for occasional web browsing and navigation when I'm out and about.

You should be fine with straight talk, unless you talk alot (since you may have issues with VOIP).

First day of GSM extended battery (2000mah)

- 18 hours until it reached 2%
- 5 hours of screen on
- 4 hours of music

Think there is more to be squeezed out as battery settles in.

I got the 4.04 IMM76I build update just 2 days ago and I am having HOOOOORRRRIBLE signal drops when the phone goes into standby. Actually, it's not even a drop because when it happens the only way to make it go back again is to restart the phone (which means 3 minutes or so if you do it quick). Fucking ridiculous, don't they test these updates before rolling them out? I could do with some slight drops in signal, whatever, but now the phone is completely unreliable. The problem is so damn big, though, that I want to believe Google are hard at work to solve it. If they don't in a weeks time I am fucking buying another phone and selling this to some loser.

On the other hand, the update has improved battery life and speed A LOT (which is what was driving me mad before the update), so I have to say I was super happy with the update until all this shit I said before.

I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!!!

Is that for the European version? where did you buy it? thanks

Five hours? I can get behind that. Hmm...
Yes, it's for the European version.

Got it off ebay from a south Korean seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120832461308

It's an official Samsung part (in SK the Nexus comes with 1750mah and 2000mah battery in the box). Comes with battery and battery cover, it's nfc enabled as well. Took one week to arrive, and the seller also put a couple of screen protectors in the bag as well.

3phemeral

A lot of changes there. I'll have to get this sometime next week. Does anyone use the faux kernel that they include with the AOKPs? If so, how much on screen battery life are you getting with wifi on whenever it's available?

I really don't know. If I have only WiFi running with data/4g off, I get amazing battery life (lose a few percent every view hours). But with it on, I really don't know. I was never one to keep track of power usage unless for some reason it's insanely quick to power out. I frequent coffee shops every day for research so I don't really notice (they're always topped off since they're plugged in). My Transformer and GNex are both running AOKP and I've yet to notice any problems. GNex is running the default kernel, and Trans is running guevor test 13.

My GSM Galaxy Nexus is still on fucking 4.0.2. COME ON GOOGLE.

Get this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cbruegg.officialupdate&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImRlLmNicnVlZ2cub2ZmaWNpYWx1cGRhdGUiXQ..

It will tell you if your device is updated by Google (yakju) or Samsung (yakjuxw). Mine was by Samsung and was stuck on 4.0.2. If you are too, and want to change it to Google, follow this link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391881

3phemeral

This is the best / most stable ROM out there, right? Might finally make the jump to a custom ROM today.

What kernel does it work best with? I've been on leankernel the past few weeks and have been reasonably satisfied.
I really don't know. I jumped immediately from stock to this. I figured it would be CM9, but considering how many revisions this project has, how well organized they are, and the fact that they constantly pump out updates every few days plus build a stable Milestone version, I figured it was a good bet.

I love the ROM and all the features ROM control has. I don't use a kernel with my GNex, just whatever they build into it. I think it's Faux's kernel, not sure. As far as stable goes, it's as stable as you can get. I had more random reboots on stock than this. In fact, I can't recall any random reboots with AOKP. However, some report they have signal issues. I've had some, but it's too inconsistent for me to determine exactly what it is. I don't talk on the phone too often, so I'm not aware of it.

One thing that has been irritating is that wifi tether hasn't worked since I updated from build 31 to 32. I haven't tested about Milestone 5 yet, but I will later on tonight. Devices can connect to my phone but there's no internet activity.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is the best / most stable ROM out there, right? Might finally make the jump to a custom ROM today.

What kernel does it work best with? I've been on leankernel the past few weeks and have been reasonably satisfied.

Yes.

I use Franco Milestone 2.

3phemeral

What the hell? I can't imagine anyone would find that usable day to day.

Thought it looked interesting. The screen is large enough that I probably wouldn't have too many issues with button size, but I wanted to hear from someone who did try it. I'm not willing to go through all that modding, I just flashed AOKP M5 :D

hybrid_57ix98.png

It is...intriguing. Maybe after I restore and backup my phone, I'll give it a shot and report back. :)

3phemeral

Do they disappear or only shade out like on tablets when in full screen?
It appears to be some sort of mod to the build.prop that indicates to ICS that your phone is actually a tablet, and so functions as though it were. I'm assuming it behaves just like a tablet in that regard.

kehs

Banned
It appears to be some sort of mod to the build.prop that indicates to ICS that your phone is actually a tablet, and so functions as though it were. I'm assuming it behaves just like a tablet in that regard.

Hmm..so then 16:9 media is foobared? Heh.

I would love to have the tablet layout for the camera though, I love the circular interface.

-----

Unrelated, what's up with twitter and contact sync? I saw it mentioned, and I don't see anywhere to sync contacts either. I guess nobody gives a shit about Android's social API eh?

Shame, maybe they should start greasing palms like Apple, HP, and MS.

DXPett1

Unrelated, what's up with twitter and contact sync? I saw it mentioned, and I don't see anywhere to sync contacts either. I guess nobody gives a shit about Android's social API eh?

Its been broken for a while now (apparently) and Twitter decided it was easier to just remove contact syncing that fix it.

It's a shame, the Social API is rad but no one seems to use it :(

Fox318

As somebody who owns a Xoom with 4.0.4 I really don't think the tablet interface would be comfortable on that small screen.

Top Bottom