• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Right-wing 'Defend Europe' Identitarians charter ship to intercept & return migrants

cromofo

Boko Haram is active in Croatia? Or am I interpreting this data incorrectly?

TIL Boko Haram is active in my country. The more you learn...

And the EU doesn't give a flying fuck.
Meanwhile the Austrian government called the army to guard the border with Italy.
But hey, if we complain we're the racists.

Defending your borders is a sane response really. Majority of these people are not refugees but illegal immigrants and should be treated as such. You have every right to guard your borders from what is essentially a criminal activity.

Empathy and feelings are all fine and dandy but are useless when it clouds rationality. Open borders is a colossal shitstorm.

Ac30

hahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

Where was this opinion during hundred years of colonization???

Karma is a bitch. I hope many more refugees and immigrants arrive here. Welcome to the promised land!

Well this is a new one lmao

KUON.0101

Well this is a new one lmao

<3 just being a bit sarcastic.

I think a lot of people here have no idea how hard it is. To take a dangerous trip, in which many die, to Europe for a better life. It's not because they are bored or want a new iphone 7. It's for the betterment of their lives. If you can't understand this, then please just don't say anything.

Defending your borders is a sane response really. Majority of these people are not refugees but illegal immigrants and should be treated as such. You have every right to guard your borders from what is essentially a criminal activity.

Empathy and feelings are all fine and dandy but are useless when it clouds rationality. Open borders is a colossal shitstorm.
Open borders is fine, as long as the outer borders are protected. There is little reason for a border between Austria and its neighbors. But in this case, the EU is failing to actually help Italy in stopping this stream of immigrants.

I still can't believe we have pretty much daily incidents of trouble in asylum centers, but apparently keeping these guys inside is not possible. Or that they aren't always taken into custody when their stay is denied, having them go around Europe trying again somewhere else. The whole system is a mess.

<3 just being a bit sarcastic.

I think a lot of people here have no idea how hard it is. To take a dangerous trip, in which many die, to Europe for a better life. It's not because they are bored or want a new iphone 7. It's for the betterment of their lives. If you can't understand this, then please just don't say anything.
You can understand this and still think it is a bad idea for these people to do.

Why is it so? Explain it to me, please?

FYI former (?) refugee/asylum seeker here, I have seen enough asylum camps, food packages and hate from the locals. So please enlighten me.
The current way things are you have people risking their lives on a dangerous journey, with risk of abuse of even dying. Mostly young men can make the journey, while the more vulnerable stay behind. Meanwhile smugglers are making billions from this. When arriving in Europe, there are little prospects for most of these people, leading to them going into an illegal life here. Because it are mostly young men, these are also risk groups with more crime and trouble.

At the same time, the receiving countries in Europe can not handle this amount of people year after year. If this continues, you will see increasing pushback against immigration and more extreme solutions. To prevent this, we need an actual system that will bring people over in smaller amounts, while creating safe spaces for them in their region which will be cheaper and help more people.

You can acknowledge that these people want a better live, while at the same time being critical of the way that is currently being done, which is leading to bad results.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is a multi-faceted issue without a clear answer.

You have politicians on the left that want to ignore the issue, people stuck in the middle that live in these countries that want something to be done, and then people on the far right that get completely racist and violent about the whole thing.

Taking in this many people into these countries is unsustainable in the long run. This board has to quick of a penchant for attacking posters labeling these people as economic migrants instead of refugees or asylum seekers. The latter were fine categorical labels when the initial immigration was spurred by war in the middle east. If your reason for going to another country is because of better pay, living standards, or social benefits, you aren't an asylum seeker. Believe me I am sympathetic to people that strive for a better life for themselves and their family. Life in their home countries doesn't offer a lot of opportunities. They've been fucked by colonial history for too long. Like I said there isn't a good answer to solve any of this.

KUON.0101

The current way things are you have people risking their lives on a dangerous journey, with risk of abuse of even dying. Mostly young men can make the journey, while the more vulnerable stay behind. Meanwhile smugglers are making billions from this. When arriving in Europe, there are little prospects for most of these people, leading to them going into an illegal life here. Because it are mostly young men, these are also risk groups with more crime and trouble.

At the same time, the receiving countries in Europe can not handle this amount of people year after year. If this continues, you will see increasing pushback against immigration and more extreme solutions. To prevent this, we need an actual system that will bring people over in smaller amounts, while creating safe spaces for them in their region which will be cheaper and help more people.

You can acknowledge that these people want a better live, while at the same time being critical of the way that is currently being done, which is leading to bad results.

I agree with the first part. And most refugees know this, but they still take this journey. Must be really shitty back home to take this dangerous trip. Nevertheless they will do this.

And yes the problems should be solved at the home countries. But I don't see that happening for the foreseeable future. I even think this is impossible. At this moment our mindset as humanity doesn't allow us that. We think to much in groups (countries/places) to understand the suffering of others. We just don't care.

I agree with the first part. And most refugees know this, but they still take this journey. Must be really shitty back home to take this dangerous trip. Nevertheless they will do this.

And yes the problems should be solved at the home countries. But I don't see that happening for the foreseeable future. I even think this is impossible. At this moment our mindset as humanity doesn't allow us that. We think to much in groups (countries/places) to understand the suffering of others. We just don't care.
If solving the problems in those countries is impossible, then should we just move these hundreds of millions of people? That is also not a solution.

SmartBase

I'm a bit surprised that brain-dead Abbott's "stop the boats" mantra hasn't caught on in southern Europe to get those easy votes.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Many immigrants are attracted by Europe's wealth and its generous social welfare systems. These systems are paid for by the employed, working citizens of a country. That system can only keep on working if the small group of working citizens can pay for the upkeep and welfare of everyone who doesn't. When you bring in hundreds of thousands of people who don't have enough qualifications to get (and keep) a job during their productive years (20-65), it means that they've only fed off the welfare system instead of adding to it. You can't keep importing unqualified immigrants who'll only costs money forever. At some point this will have consequences for everyone because there's less money to go around.

Take for instance these Dutch newspaper articles:

https://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/vluchtelingen-dreigen-onderklasse-te-worden~a4218617/

(Google translate alert) : "The integration of asylum migrants is much slower and more robust than that of migrant workers, according to the extensive study. The long waiting time for a status and a home, plus the "lost time" in the shelters, puts this group at a great disadvantage and increases the likelihood of long-term unemployment. Crime among this group is also higher than average.

Five years after their arrival in the Netherlands, a quarter of the asylum seekers had a paid job of more than 30 hours. After fifteen years, it was only 35 percent. With the migrant workers it is 65 and 50 percent. Asylum migrants with little education, such as those from Somalia, are the least likely to find a job. Higher educators, such as the refugees from Yugoslavia, do the best in the job market.

The crime among the eighty and ninety-year asylum migrants appears to be three times higher than among immigrants, and also higher than those among labor migrants. Researcher Roel Jennissen of the WODC states that "a very big difference". It is mainly power crimes such as theft by single, young, unemployed men. The fact that a large minority of the current asylum migrants is made up of single men is a reason for faster integration, researchers find."

http://www.ad.nl/binnenland/stop-massa-immigratie-om-verzorgingsstaat-betaalbaar-te-houden~aae4b1cb/

"What is happening in the Islamic world and sub-Saharan Africa today is a demographic explosion that does not know its display. Every twenty-five years, the population of sub-Saharan Africa doubles. Just count it: 1 billion now, 2 billion around 2040, 4 billion over fifty years. They grow against their natural boundaries. That means: famine and more civil wars. Dozens of millions of Africans want to come to Europe.

If you want to allow those people, as D66 and Groen Links want - parties who do not set an upper limit on the number of refugees - then the welfare state will collapse. And that can happen in a short period of time. We see the number of asylum seekers who apply for social security now rising rapidly. ( ... ) There are more than 2 million non-westerners and more than 13 native Dutchmen in the Netherlands, and there are already more non-Westerners than Dutchmen applying for social security. The native Dutch are thus financing an unemployed immigrant subclass. "

"I want to show with my calculations that mass immigration and the welfare state do not coincide. What matters is the following: when a Dutchman is born, he first gets a lot of money from the government. Then he will work and returns money back to the state in the form of taxes. And at the end of his life he takes money again. Throughout his life he costs the state an average of 45 thousand Euro. That amount can be combined with sustainable debt consolidation. You can keep this up forever.

If you bring in immigrants when they are about 25 years old and who perform better than the average Dutchman, you will benefit from that. For example, you do not have to pay their education anymore. A young, highly educated knowledge migrant will eventually raise money. However, low-skilled, low-income and often in benefits, pay money. The average non-western labor migrant costs around 120 thousand euros over a lifetime.

The average asylum will spend so much time living on social security and pay so little taxes, that he'll cost 300,000 euro over a lifetime. So if you import 100,000 asylum seekers, as happened under Rutte II, the first two generations will costs around 70 billion euros: for shelter, housing, assistance, healthcare, social security, old age pension. For those people, the state pays to death. I have already taken into account remigration in my demographic section, based on figures from the Central Bureau of Statistics. "

I think according to the UN, the amount of refugees on the move where around 50 million.

Source:
http://www.unhcr.org/figures-at-a-glance.html

Not hundred of millions.
Yes, but you said that the issues in their countries will not be solved. So even if you bring over a million people to Europe, next year you have another million new people with exactly the same problems. Just moving them around is not going to solve anything, and at some point there are too many people for the systems in Europe to handle. We want to give everyone a good living standard, but that is only possible to some extend as the poster above also says. Otherwise you are just moving people from poverty in their home country to poverty in Europe.

Sunster

sorry, I agree with this post but smugglers making billions? I have a hard time believing that. did you mean all smugglers collectively? if you did that's kind of a weird way to put it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yes, but you said that the issues in their countries will not be solved. So even if you bring over a million people to Europe, next year you have another million new people with exactly the same problems. Just moving them around is not going to solve anything, and at some point there are too many people for the systems in Europe to handle. We want to give everyone a good living standard, but that is only possible to some extend as the poster above also says. Otherwise you are just moving people from poverty in their home country to poverty in Europe.

Besides that, the first priority of any government is to ensure the prosperity of its own citizens, not to solve the problems of the rest of the world.

Hope those fuckers sink

Yup.

Then do it, you could bring one person from these countries into Europe by marrying them every three years. Do your part.
Yeah, but that is only addressing half of what the poster said. You WOULD be allowing refugees into Europe by marrying them, but not doing anything about white supremacists.
The appropriate action would be, marry a refugee, send one white supremacist to Mars (or into the sun, or to the bottom of the ocean, I could care less for those shitheads).

T.O.P

Banned
oh it has

the next elections in Italy are going to be a shitshow

...it's actually scary that i can't really blame people for starting to follow politicians like Meloni/Salvini

Even my lgbt friends are willing to put up with the center right bullshit just with the promise to fix the immigration issue

sorry, I agree with this post but smugglers making billions? I have a hard time believing that. did you mean all smugglers collectively? if you did that's kind of a weird way to put it.
Yes, smugglers, as in the group. Not individually. But there are people getting rich of this.

G.ZZZ

You dehumanize them by calling them essentially freeloaders.

But if they just get 143 - 360 euros of free pocket money in Germany, thats pretty much nothing. Thats poverty line over here. Can't build a life or send money back on such a budget. Even if rooms are paid for. And no, they don't get apartments. Most landlords will never rent to refugees if they don't have to.

So they are stuck in refugee homes and camps. Which, again, is a whole bunch of nothing.

Somebody post that oreo gif of the three classes of people, that's esentially what is happening.

The middle class gets mad at the economic refugees freeloading while nobody looks at what the rich are doing anymore.

This is BS for example (thats probably fed to them from profit hungry smugglers), and even if it isn't, it's not a lot of money over here, and they don't get apartments, they are stuck in refugee homes and camps in conditions I don't wish anyone to live in.

Just a precisation. They should not live in camps or registration centers. That's a conscious choice made by scummy people to gain money on their back, which is strictly forbidden but hard to control since the machine isn't geared to get that many people in it and there are scarce control (even if technically you have to present all kind of documentation, it's extremely easy to fake). Here where i work they get normal houses and only 2.5 € a day (or 75 € a month), with food paid, as well as mental support and language courses. The overall expense is paid by the EU and is capped at 35€ a day, which we usually get (and every little extra go again in services for refugees).

Stop thinking news reporting about shitty centers represent all of the workers in the field. Cause they're not. Those centers are often blatantly illegal but impossible to close because there exist no actual regulations on them and everything is made in a state of emergency where laws are superseded, plus you'd have nowhere else to bring refugees anyway so you're stuck. Also, for what it's worth, 97% of the refugees we work with are young males.

Sarek

The line is blurred. Try live in any of the countries in that list of so-called filthy economic migrants, then come back and tell whether your life is in danger or not. Say, West African countries, they may not be in open wars, but there is corruption, violence, terrorism, sectarian conflict, terrible job prospects, deficient healthcare and sanitation... Do you, in your developed, peaceful country, have the right to say who can try and go for a better life and who can't?
The fact that people go into debt and risk their lifes to come here tells something. Maybe we should listen more.

That is such an easy moral highground to take. Moving millions of people, most of whom don't have an education that would make them desirable to employers, is not in any way sustainable in the long term. But let's just ignore that and concentrate on calling people names.

According to anti-extremist group, Hope Not Hate, naval authorities surrounded the vessel and took over control from those on board.

An employee at the Suez Canal Authority confirmed “it was arrested by the security authorities” because of “a matter of security due to the lack of documentation and papers”.

So they aimed to stop undocumented migrants but themselves were detained for not having documentation... glorious.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Greetings from Catania. Not sure these are the right people, but generally somebody doing something for the mafia x NGO human trade is positive. Uninterrupted it just escalates, leading into more people being trafficked here / drowning on the way.

Boat getting seized was expected, many have vested financial and political interests in keeping the human trafficking flowing.

If there is genuine desire in Europe to get more migrants, then set a proper program, transport and conduct prioritised selection for it. Leaving it to the mob and NGOs is just corrupt.

Horror and war?? You must be kidding. Just about every migrant who crosses over from Libiya to Italy comes from a safe country:

https://twitter.com/FranckenTheo/status/882461180257857536

DD8hwdxXcAAAiic.jpg

There's a famine going on in parts of Nigeria.

Many immigrants are attracted by Europe's wealth and its generous social welfare systems. These systems are paid for by the employed, working citizens of a country. That system can only keep on working if the small group of working citizens can pay for the upkeep and welfare of everyone who doesn't. When you bring in hundreds of thousands of people who don't have enough qualifications to get (and keep) a job during their productive years (20-65), it means that they've only fed off the welfare system instead of adding to it. You can't keep importing unqualified immigrants who'll only costs money forever. At some point this will have consequences for everyone because there's less money to go around.

Take for instance these Dutch newspaper articles:

https://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/vluchtelingen-dreigen-onderklasse-te-worden~a4218617/

http://www.ad.nl/binnenland/stop-massa-immigratie-om-verzorgingsstaat-betaalbaar-te-houden~aae4b1cb/

Then don't let migrants have welfare benefits? Immigration is good for the economy, even if it's low skilled labour.

Europe is manifestly having an unaddressed problem with the migration/refugee crisis that is creating a huge vacuum of anxiety, confusion, and fear that the far-/alt-right is stepping into with bullshit solutions, but what gets me are the assholes who use it to try and influence American policy when, frankly, the two aren't anything remotely alike.

Good, I expected they'd get shut down just like that Canadian Alt-Right POS Southern did when she tried to pull this exact same shit.

As far as Albanian economic immigrants go, they weren't going to be the target of these idiots to begin with, they're too white, so bringing them up is a bit of a red herring. Especially when you account that one of the fucks on the boat, Brittany Pettibone, believes that "white genocide" and "Pizzagate" are real things.

So... they are going to abduct and hold them hostage on their ship until they return them to shore?

There's some international amnesty laws being broken there...

There is something ironic about these guys wanting to "defend Europe" as they say with a ship from... Djibouti.

Then don't let migrants have welfare benefits? Immigration is good for the economy, even if it's low skilled labour.
If you are a legal immigrant to most places, you won't get benefits upon arrival but have the take care of yourself. If you arrive as an illegal immigrant through these ways, the state needs to take care of you until you are deported or get a status.

Legal immigration is not the problem for Europe.

NH Apache

Banned
Yo, highly illegal according to maritime law fyi

Edit: and just read the update. These ships can't just go Willy nilly across open waters with no destination. Rightfully seized and most likely held in harbor until judge rules.

If you are a legal immigrant to most places, you won't get benefits upon arrival but have the take care of yourself. If you arrive as an illegal immigrant through these ways, the state needs to take care of you until you are deported or get a status.

Legal immigration is not the problem for Europe.

Well, then, don't do that?

Immigration is a part of any free market economy and is good for it, even if it's illegal immigration. It is usually unnecessary government intervention that makes it unprofitable.

Top Bottom