• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Atlanta Falcons Stadium Design that may be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/the-plans-for-the-crazy-falcons-stadium-were-approved/
The crazy new Falcons stadium you might have seen plans for? Well, they might actually be building this thing.

Team officials and the architecture firm presented design plans to the Georgia World Congress Center Authority on Monday, and the plans were approved. Approved.

The Falcons still need to find the land to build the stadium on and there are a million other hoops to jump through, but having the plans approved by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority–the organization that oversees the downtown Atlanta convention center and stadiums–is a promising step forward.

Architects from 360 Architecture, the architecture firm working with the team on the designs, were quick to point out that this is only a plan, and the actual construction of the stadium could result in something that looks quite different.

Some highlights:

A retractable roof that somehow removes a side of the stadium so that you can see the city skyline. How is this possible? Who knows?!

The sides of the structure appear to be somewhat translucent. No idea what the material is, but it appears to be overlaid on some kind of metal skeleton. Awesome.

There is a giant, 360-degree, LED Twitter feed going around the top of the stadium. Because why not.

1aa88a22d83d11e2b7a722000a9e5154_7.jpg

june2013-concept-northwest-elevation.jpg

june2013-concept-aerial.jpg

june2013-concept-southclub-cityview.jpg

june2013-concept-endzone-cityview.jpg

Burt

Nope. America doesn't do cool stadium designs anymore. They just go for cost efficiency. And owners still end up fleecing the general populace.

iamblades

Nope. America doesn't do cool stadium designs anymore. They just go for cost efficiency. And owners still end up fleecing the general populace.

So that's why like 3/4ths of the most expensive stadiums on the planet are here?

You can argue that the new meadowlands stadium or jerryworld are architecturally boring, but I don't see how anyone could say with a straight face that they are boring because they aimed for 'cost efficiency'.

Man I thought it looked like a butthole, but I didn't wanna say it. I realize it was the color that really sold the rectum look

Jackson

It looks like a rose. They should hold the Rosebowl there from now on.

Otherwise it's a very missed opportunity.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
It's a haphazard pile of scaffolding held by wrapping.

If I were to see that in person, my reaction would be "I hope they straighten that all out when they're done building it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom