• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastmen

Banned
We've been totally shitted on. From day 1 the platform has been a cluster fuck. That's not a rumor. That's facts.

From the bugs we got a launch, to the initial NoDo promises, to not everyone getting the post NoDo Update, to Mango rolling out weirdly for many, to Skype still be promised, to the current bug fix update not getting approved by all carriers, to MS back peddling on the carriers controlling updates, to non committal answers on Apollo updates for existing customers, to Skype finally rolling out but only in half assed late beta form etc....

The UI is frick'n genius as far as I'm concerned. Whomever it was at MS that had this wonderful brainstorm deserves a place among the top for OS UI industrial design. Everyone else at MS has been basically nothing but one giant cock block for getting things right and the platform rolling.

People were shited on by apple and google in the first generation and second generation of their platforms.

Hell people are still shitted on by google. Oh hey your year old phone wont get ICS and it took 8 months to get ginger bread , have a good day !

These companys want to make money and these products are constantly being improved it took apple generations of product to get the phone right and google is still working on andriod to get it right.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
People were shited on by apple and google in the first generation and second generation of their platforms.

Hell people are still shitted on by google. Oh hey your year old phone wont get ICS and it took 8 months to get ginger bread , have a good day !

These companys want to make money and these products are constantly being improved it took apple generations of product to get the phone right and google is still working on andriod to get it right.

I get the google point. One of the big selling points for WP7 that was always stressed by MS was this wasn't going to be another Google cluster fuck of Android like proportions.

eastmen

Banned
I get the google point. One of the big selling points for WP7 that was always stressed by MS was this wasn't going to be another Google cluster fuck of Android like proportions.

And so far it isn't .

From what I can find all phones have 7.5 at this point. I'm not sure of any that don't have it .

This is a huge diffrence from google which as I said their flagship galaxy line from fall 2010 to spring 2011 wont get the fall 2011 release of andriod (4.0). Now think about it , andriod released fall 2008 . Its now Winter 2012 and they still can't get the updates under control . They've had 27 sizable revisions to the OS in less than 4 years .

Then on the apple side , older phones have horrible performance with the new OS verisons

Commodore

We've been totally shitted on. From day 1 the platform has been a cluster fuck. That's not a rumor. That's facts.

From the bugs we got a launch, to the initial NoDo promises, to not everyone getting the post NoDo Update, to Mango rolling out weirdly for many, to Skype still be promised, to the current bug fix update not getting approved by all carriers, to MS back peddling on the carriers controlling updates, to non committal answers on Apollo updates for existing customers, to Skype finally rolling out but only in half assed late beta form etc....

The UI is frick'n genius as far as I'm concerned. Whomever it was at MS that had this wonderful brainstorm deserves a place among the top for OS UI industrial design. Everyone else at MS has been basically nothing but one giant cock block for getting things right and the platform rolling.

Totally? You're probably overstating the amount of shit shitted. You could easily tell another story of MS opening with a great interface, starting from square one, and filling in some much needed NoDo holes with a few winkles in timing between their various devices, and having learned their lesson, pulled off the huge mango update with flying colors. They managed to partner with Nokia, over Google, a big win for them, and proceeded to pull off a coordinated effort to launch a new Windows Phone powered Nokia phone in a year, many of their services intertwining. Now they are poised to pull off a decent comeback, leveraging Windows 8 metro adoption/apps, and a new spec ceiling, pulling and luring more users with new features that add to an already fantastic UI.

I know it's not all roses, not even close to the timeline we'd want things to happen, nor is the carrier situation going well. In fact, it's pretty easy to swing a bit to saying the carriers have shat on us far more than MS in this particular situation. They've posted the update, its the carriers that are the holdup. I guess all I'm saying it, its not nearly as stinky as you're implying concerning how MS has handled things with the platform.

Now their marketing on the other hand? S.h.i.t. Shit.

SeanR1221

How did Apple shit on the consumer? If it's that the original and 3G aren't supported anymore, the 3GS was super cheap, and now the 4 is super cheap so it wouldn't be hard for those people to upgrade at all.

Apple NOT shitting on the consumer was why I didn't stay with WP7 long.

From the bugs we got a launch, to the initial NoDo promises, to not everyone getting the post NoDo Update, to Mango rolling out weirdly for many, to Skype still be promised, to the current bug fix update not getting approved by all carriers, to MS back peddling on the carriers controlling updates, to non committal answers on Apollo updates for existing customers, to Skype finally rolling out but only in half assed late beta form etc...

From my understanding, all of this is carrier issues. MS has no ability to tell carriers to push updates, unlike Apple. This is....because apple is a golden God.

Second bit is quite a bit of hyperbole. The UI is designed in part by each department. So basically, you are saying that every department is awesome, and every department is shitty because they also actually write the services to get a working OS.

That isn't to say that the platform is without issues. I hope that carriers will allow updates more quickly, and that MS is a little bit more transparent with information to consumers.

I'm mostly talking about how every single rumor that comes out you immediately take it as a fact and then also take the worst possible outcome that could happen with that "fact". Like the comment from the exec in Barcelona about Apple/android and how you right off the bat somehow interpret that to mean that no W7 phones will get upgraded.

If all you do is walk around looking for shit, you shouldn't be complaining when your boots stink.

I don't think you are a platform warrior, you just seem like the type of person who goes through life looking to complain at every opportunity.

The whole "OMG WP IS DOOMED" thing is just a little schtick, spiced with some sarcasm. But other than that, I don't know, maybe you should actually read my posts. When someone like Mary Jo Foley claims her sources confirmed it won't happen, it puts a lot more weight to that rumor. But again, like I wrote in my only post, where I actually commented that stuff, I'm still confident that we'll get a way to upgrade the phones.

So yeah, maybe I look for shit, but at least I don't talk shit.

Vanillalite

From my understanding, all of this is carrier issues. MS has no ability to tell carriers to push updates, unlike Apple. This is....because apple is a golden God.

Second bit is quite a bit of hyperbole. The UI is designed in part by each department. So basically, you are saying that every department is awesome, and every department is shitty because they also actually write the services to get a working OS.

That isn't to say that the platform is without issues. I hope that carriers will allow updates more quickly, and that MS is a little bit more transparent with information to consumers.

I get that a lot of it is carrier issues, but IMO carrier issues are a MS platform issue.

So apparently Sony is rumored to (finally) join the Windows Phone party later this year, which would make me really, really happy.

Their new Xperia S and U phones look really good and combined with the Windows Phone OS it would absolutely be my number one choice.

White-Sony-Xperia-S.jpg

Commodore

So apparently Sony is rumored to (finally) join the Windows Phone party later this year, which would make me really, really happy.

Their new Xperia S and U phones look really good and combined with the Windows Phone OS it would be absolutely my number one choice.

White-Sony-Xperia-S.jpg

They have a certain industrial Zune HD-ness to them, don't they? And I've always loved the HD's design.

Vanillalite

Their new Xperia S and U phones look really good and combined with the Windows Phone OS it would be absolutely my number one choice.

White-Sony-Xperia-S.jpg

Sort of like. Chop off that little white part bellow the screen and I'd be alll over it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lumia 800 still wins on design over any phone I've seen recently. If it had a FFC, and was available subsidized, it would do really well in the US.

maeh2k

As I said in a previous post, I'm currently trying to get into WP development and I just want to say that the WP dev tools are amazing. I really like Expression blend + sketchflow. In comparison the Android Eclipse plugin is laughable.

Black-Box

Their new Xperia S and U phones look really good and combined with the Windows Phone OS it would absolutely be my number one choice.

White-Sony-Xperia-S.jpg

its funny, when you think about it, MS may save Sonys life in the moblie phone area, since as nice as there phones look, they have always lacked in the spec area. but a windows phone they will have to have at least the same specs are everyone else, so they wont be falling behind.

kharma45

Luma 710 is being sold at £150 PAYG from Vodafone UK with 6 months free zune pass

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/nokia-lumia-710-payg

Pretty great deal, blows away budget android handsets. I'm thinking of getting one for a family member.

With the 710 being priced this low what will the 610 that has a rrp of €189 actually be priced at? Hope it hits £99

It's about time they made that price official, they'd been selling it in-store for £150 for ages (sans Zune sub) but never had it online.

The 610 will have to be £99 now or it's a totally redundant device.

Seeing Vodafone price the 710 at this price makes my brother getting the 800 for £175 a good deal.

venne

It seems that most OEMs are in a holding pattern until Apollo.

As I said in a previous post, I'm currently trying to get into WP development and I just want to say that the WP dev tools are amazing. I really like Expression blend + sketchflow. In comparison the Android Eclipse plugin is laughable.

Yep yep. I'm doing an embedded systems device that is using an Android app. I'm writing the Android App part that connects with the device and with a server, and the tools are simply horrible. I spent hours trying to get things working.

I whipped up a servicable UI with 3 pages in about 20 minutes using the WP tools. Admittedly, I've got Visual Studio Ultimate (or whatever the best is with MSDN subscription).

As per Brettison's comment, yep fully agree it's a Microsoft platform issue. And hopefully, when what you call 'apollo' comes out....carriers will actually give two shits about us. (The giving two shits is my guesstimate of course, as I'm not privy to actual conversations between MS & carriers)

Totakeke

differnet resolutions alone make a difference, i think

I'm sure OEMs have been complaining about the rigid specs of WP7, but then that was one of biggest reasons why Windows Phone is less fragmented and easier to develop compared to Android. Not to mention if they still want to push updates to all phones at the same time (regardless of carrier restrictions). It's definitely possible that they're going to open up the platform after Apollo, but I haven't seen enough to suggest that is the case just yet.

Firestorm

I'm sure OEMs have been complaining about the rigid specs of WP7, but then that was one of biggest reasons why Windows Phone is less fragmented and easier to develop compared to Android. Not to mention if they still want to push updates to all phones at the same time (regardless of carrier restrictions). It's definitely possible that they're going to open up the platform after Apollo, but I haven't seen enough to suggest that is the case just yet.
I think there will be say 3 resolutions you can build to and they will keep the same aspect ratio. Although I wouldn't mind something allowing for a design like this:

touchBoldHero5_img.png

There are definitely people I could convince to get Windows Phone if they made that. Especially with how awesome Messages is.

Blackhead

Redarse
The closest you're gonna get is the Dell Venue Pro, which I believe to still have the best physical design of ANY phone out there, EVER.

Granted Dell themselves have a lot of issues, but that form factor needs to be adopted by more people instead of the same 4" plastic slab that every fucking company puts out. Fuck!

I know the Torch tried that form factor, but could we pleeeease get something not so ugly.

f0lken

What do you miss most: the LED notifier, trackpad or physical keyboard?

Me, the LED notifier of course, that's something every smartphone should have, the trackpad is completely unnecesary with a touchscreen and the on-screen keyboard on WP is really good but I can see why a lot of people would like something physical is not.

Firestorm

What do you miss most: the LED notifier, trackpad or physical keyboard?
Keyboard. I miss it so :( Also I find the design of the phone just really nice. Trackpad kinda irrelevant. And I kind of like not seeing blinking red lights that aren't there now! I'm willing to give up the keyboard for Windows Phone but I know lots of people hesitant to leave it behind.

Blackhead

Redarse
The trackpad is useful for moving the cursor though. I don't mind good software keyboards for the most part, and WP is the best default on mobile right now, but I've yet to see a good software solution that can replace the arrow keys on a physical keyboard. Touching the screen to move the cursor in WP, iOS and Android is very slow and annoying.

Anyone watches the Windows Phone/8 videos that are on Pocketnow? Did anyone notice how Adam Z Lein only follows ladies on facebook and their pictures are ALL OVER HIS PHONE AND TABLET?

Creeps me out to think that he's a Social Network Ladies Stalker™

kharma45

Anyone watches the Windows Phone/8 videos that are on Pocketnow? Did anyone notice how Adam Z Lein only follows ladies on facebook and their pictures are ALL OVER HIS PHONE AND TABLET?

Creeps me out to think that he's a Social Network Ladies Stalker™

He always looks pretty creepy, and his voice... ugh.

They really need to have someone else doing the Windows videos.

AnkitT

So I exchanged(got some of the price cut off) my old Dell Venue Pro with the Lumia 800 recently and i'm just loving it so far! There are a few bugs like the call end one and no capacitive button illumination when manually setting the brightness, but I've heard that a new firmware is coming for those. Absolutely love the camera, especially the wide mode and the hardware itself looks pretty!

freshair

Realized after the fact that the Radar, while including a GPS, doesn't have a gyroscope or compass, which makes navigating via walking a bit difficult :C

Aside from that shortcoming, really enjoying it so far.

Magni

I've had an Omnia since October 2010, and I've been eyeing the 900 for a long time, but I think I'm gonna wait till this fall like I originally planned to.

But, my mom needs a new phone, so I'm thinking of leaving her my Omnia and getting a 710 (cheap, Nokia, pentaband which I really really really need starting this summer).

Is there another phone I should get instead of the 710? Will I really miss the extra 0.3" and S-AMOLED screen? How good is the battery on the 710? I read that it's worse than the Omnia's (relative to the phone), and I have a 3600 mAh Mugen for that sooo

The closest you're gonna get is the Dell Venue Pro, which I believe to still have the best physical design of ANY phone out there, EVER.

Granted Dell themselves have a lot of issues, but that form factor needs to be adopted by more people instead of the same 4" plastic slab that every fucking company puts out. Fuck!

I know the Torch tried that form factor, but could we pleeeease get something not so ugly.

I have a DVP let me tell you some things...

-fuck the keyboard, the software keyboard is so nice in WP that I never use the hardware one.
-It is about an inch thick and extrodinarily heavy.
- Cheap chrome on the sides.
- Logo has fallen off of mine. the fucking dell logo.
- The only thing I use the keyboard for is to partially snap it to turn on my phone.

Pros.
-Beautiful screen.
-Durable.
-Volume is great.

It needs to be 1/3 thinner, and 1/3 lighter. I think the regular Dell Venue was those specific specs.

I have a DVP let me tell you some things...

-fuck the keyboard, the software keyboard is so nice in WP that I never use the hardware one.
-It is about an inch thick and extrodinarily heavy.
- Cheap chrome on the sides.
- Logo has fallen off of mine. the fucking dell logo.
- The only thing I use the keyboard for is to partially snap it to turn on my phone.

Pros.
-Beautiful screen.
-Durable.
-Volume is great.

It needs to be 1/3 thinner, and 1/3 lighter. I think the regular Dell Venue was those specific specs.

I was obsessed with the DVP until I saw it in person. 'Twas way too big for me. That being said, Dell should have continued to make phones. The more phones they put out the more they could invest in thinner and more high quality materials. Hopefully another manufacturer, (HTC or SAMSUNG?), will come out with one.

I learned to love the software keyboard, though, so perhaps it's a base-less desire.

Now that I have a second comp (tablet) that I connect my Focus too, I'm wondering if there are any particular settings or pointers I should be aware of when syncing to multiple computers. I guess it's kind of a dumb question, but are there any complications or tricks to be aware of when regularly syncing to multiple computers? Particular when it comes to the sync relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom