• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interactions with Salty Fanboys: A Thread for Stories and Counseling

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
We have all dealt with fanboys spouting propaganda against our favorite hobby/sport/company/team, etc. over the internet. And with some hobbies that have become so widely popular in the mainstream markets (Sports and movies for example) you probably have even dealt with it at work, school, or even during your leisure hours. I believe video games has finally risen to that level, and I have witnessed it many times over the last year. For instance, today I ran into the most salty of salty Nintendo Fanboys I have ever met. I have previously experienced the guy's very loyal Nintendo fanboyism when the 3DS came out. You could not walk into my Best Buy without the guy telling you about how awesome their new display unit was, how diverse the upcoming 3DS line-up is, and how Nintendo's new handheld was going to be "THE NEXT BIG THING!!!". Personally I found it pretty neat (at the time), as I am also a big Nintendo supporter, and it is always nice to see someone proud and happy about the hobby. But today he crossed a line that even made a Nintendo fan like me extremely frustrated and even uncomfortable.

I was playing the new Vita display they had put up, and I played Fifa, Gravity Dash, and then finally Uncharted. I must of been at the station for 30 minutes, tops. So here comes slouching the worker with price stickers for the Vita section. Attached to his waist was a Vita inside a case, and I fully expecting to see the same enthusiastic tone for the system when he looked up and spoke to me. Instead, I was welcomed with "How in the world can you play that thing so long? The analogs make my hands cramp and are crappy." I was a bit taken back, but I let out a soft chuckle and got back to playing Uncharted. "That game is really not that great you know? It's made by a crappy development company, Bend Studios, and Naughty Dog refuses to develop for the Vita. It's also $49.99 and it takes 3 hours to complete the whole thing".

Obviously I knew that was all pretty much bullshit, and it made me a bit frustrated. Not only do I hate people talking down about what your obviously enjoying, but it is really a big pet peeve of mine when someone starts spouting bullshit, especially when I damn well know he knows better. So I change the subject to how awesome Gravity Rush is. He looks a me and kind of shakes his head, and I ask "What do you guys have for it's release date?". He starts telling me this lunatic story that it's suppose to be a launch title, but they only sale it online because no one thinks it is going to sell good. My expression had WTF written all over it, so he says he will go and double check. He comes back about two minutes later and says it is listed as TBA, but came out in Japan in February, and therefore it might not even be released here in America. At that point I got so fed up with his bullshit and fanboyism that I didn't say anything else and left politely the second I got the chance too. The only thing I regret is that I forgot to ask if he was enjoying his month ban from NeoGAF
Sorry Snesfreak :p

So what experiences does GAF have with real life interactions with fanboys? How do you handle them? And for proclaimed fanboys, do you try and hide your bias, or do you let all out in the open? Are you aware that people do not like being told what to buy, what to like, or given bullshit information?

Note: I also have a recent experience with a Sony Fanboy that made me so furious that I literally wanted to punch him in the face, and I'll be posting that in a tiny bit. :)

I'll let some other people chime in for the mean time.

Dresden

But today he crossed a line
So . . . he said that Uncharted for vita was a bad game?

I don't expect some random grunt at a retail store to be up to date on gaming stuff, but that's just me.

About a week ago someone here said Gears of War was going to be on the PS4 but that Xbox gamers would never get an Uncharted game. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried myself to sleep that night.

prwxv3

I was sitting with some dudes talking about vidya and one of them said that Nintendo was not really his cup of tea. The other guys suddenly went off on him calling him a Sony drone and being part of the SDF. I just sat their with a WTF just happened look on my face.

Skiesofwonder

So . . . he said that Uncharted for vita was a bad game?

I don't expect some random grunt at a retail store to be up to date on gaming stuff, but that's just me.

I'm standing here playing a brand new handheld, and he is A. Telling me anything he can to make sure I don't buy it, B. Telling me that I shouldn't be enjoying something that I obviously am.

That's crossing a line, especially considering he is a STORE clerk. Also my previous conversations with him have been pretty darn detailed on gaming knowledge. He is much more on top of gaming news then your average gaming clerk.

bjork

Being a fanboy is such a waste of time, seeing as Sega doesn't do hardware any more. Everyone is arguing for second place all-time, so why bother?

Tain

Being a fanboy is such a waste of time, seeing as Sega doesn't do hardware any more. Everyone is arguing for second place all-time, so why bother?

the fanboy wars have long been settled.

the SEGA + SNK alliance won.

Satchel

Banned
You can go into pretty much any thread on GAF involving Sony, or Xbox 360 sales. They all end up about Sony or Uncharted anyway.

Takao

Banned
Is there a story about this?

Those who know me know I watch and read a lot of troll zones just because. Some people have dismissed GR as pedo-bait. Even though anyone with two eyes can tell it's far from it.

I want Sony to become irrelevant.
I don't care how that sounds.
I want them to become what Microsoft is in Japan, a joke.
For all the problems Nintendo has had, with online and whatever.
I'll take them over any other company every damn time.
"599 US Dollars" is exactly the kind of shit that made me hate Sony.

lol

He posted that in 2012 too. Did he live in a cave or something?

Skiesofwonder

About a week ago I was in Gamestop browsing around, and this lady went up to the desk wanting a 3DS with Super Mario Land 3D. She told the clerk that her son had played the demo unit, and loved it!

So the guy says that while they do have the 3DS in stock, they have a much better handheld system for sale! He pulls out a used PSP 3000 and plops it on the desk (I believe the price he quoted her was $99.99). So she asks him "Does this one play Mario games?". "Well no", he responds, "but it plays much better and MATURE titles! It has better graphics (I kid you not) and is much cheaper". The lady responds "But my son is eight and really wants to play Mario, and this system looks like it might break easier then the 3DS". So he goes on and on about all this different cases you can get, and all the cool games it has. After 10 minutes of this, the lady finally tells the guy she doesn't want a PSP, and instead would like to purchase what she originally wanted.

This guy wasn't going to give up that easy. So now he starts pitching her on putting her money down on a PSVita and getting the kid all the cool MATURE titles it has. At this point the women is so furious that anybody in the fricken store could tell, and hell so was I! Not only did I fell sorry for this lady who has wasted all this unnecessary time to purchase the system she wants, but I also felt sorry for the boy at home waiting for the handheld he wanted and the Mario game he fell in love with. I'm not slighting the PSP or Vita, but for a eight year old kid wanting a mario game, you get him either a DS or 3DS. It's pretty simple. So the thought of him potentially getting something else he might not want just because of this moronic worker talking his mom into buying something else was making me furious.

Thankfully though the guy gives up and sells her a 3DS, but basically refuses to give her a copy of Super Mario Land 3D, and forces a copy of NSMB DS on her. He said "It's a much better Mario, FACT!" and when the lady asked if her son didn't like it and still wanted Super Mario Land 3D, he responded "Well, you can always take it back and get a refund..... if he doesn't open it".

I literally wanted to punch him in the face.

You can go into pretty much any thread on GAF involving Sony, or Xbox 360 sales. They all end up about Sony or Uncharted anyway.
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 PS3 EXCLUSIVE GMAEZ?

Because the board was clamoring for such a "discussion."

Sony GAF will never, never let you down.

Haunted

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 PS3 EXCLUSIVE GMAEZ?

Because the board was clamoring for such a "discussion."

Sony GAF will never, never let you down.
I don't see a problem with that thread.

As this console generation runs out of steam, people are migrating back to the PC and the clamor for next-gen news about the new consoles is rising steadily, it's nice to look back at old systems like the PS3.

Bloodrage

Banned
(walks into GameStop)

Me: Is Saint's Row 3 in stock?
Fanboy: Yeah. Which console, 360?
Me: Nah, PS3.
Fanboy: ?
Me: ??
Fanboy: ...Alright, n/p.

(walks into Target)

Me: Just Cause 2 for PS3?
Fanboy: Sure, give me a minute.

(fanboy checks computer)
(fanboy walks away)
(fanboy comes back with green box)

Me: Uh, PS3?
Fanboy: (herp derp stare at the box) Oh.

I love you, Amazon.

I don't see a problem with that thread.

As this console generation runs out of steam, people are migrating back to the PC and the clamor for next-gen news about the new consoles is rising steadily, it's nice to look back at old systems like the PS3.
Same here, that was a bad example of a bad thread.

Skiesofwonder

Those who know me know I watch and read a lot of troll zones just because. Some people have dismissed GR as pedo-bait. Even though anyone with two eyes can tell it's far from it.

I want Sony to become irrelevant.
I don't care how that sounds.
I want them to become what Microsoft is in Japan, a joke.
For all the problems Nintendo has had, with online and whatever.
I'll take them over any other company every damn time.
"599 US Dollars" is exactly the kind of shit that made me hate Sony.

lol

He posted that in 2012 too. Did he live in a cave or something?

Here you go.

snesfreak @snesfreak Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
People calling my post "console wars"? Whatever, I hated Sony since the shit they pulled with the SNES CD addon. It was not console wars.

20 year old wound.

Posting tweets from a banned member isn't a no-no is it? I'll remove it if it is....

Big B

I met this guy who would unironically say PS3 and Wii have no games. The weird thing is he's a japanese major who has an 360 and likes "retro" games. bleh.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
He's seriously butthurt about the PSX fiasco with Sony and Nintendo that happened like 20 years ago? Hell, from what I can remember it was Nintendo who dropped the betrayalton there, not Sony.

Veal

About a week ago I was in Gamestop browsing around, and this lady went up to the desk wanting a 3DS with Super Mario Land 3D. She told the clerk that her son had played the demo unit, and loved it!

So the guy says that while they do have the 3DS in stock, they have a much better handheld system for sale! He pulls out a used PSP 3000 and plops it on the desk (I believe the price he quoted her was $99.99). So she asks him "Does this one play Mario games?". "Well no", he responds, "but it plays much better and MATURE titles! It has better graphics (I kid you not) and is much cheaper". The lady responds "But my son is eight and really wants to play Mario, and this system looks like it might break easier then the 3DS". So he goes on and on about all this different cases you can get, and all the cool games it has. After 10 minutes of this, the lady finally tells the guy she doesn't want a PSP, and instead would like to purchase what she originally wanted.

This guy wasn't going to give up that easy. So now he starts pitching her on putting her money down on a PSVita and getting the kid all the cool MATURE titles it has. At this point the women is so furious that anybody in the fricken store could tell, and hell so was I! Not only did I fell sorry for this lady who has wasted all this unnecessary time to purchase the system she wants, but I also felt sorry for the boy at home waiting for the handheld he wanted and the Mario game he fell in love with. I'm not slighting the PSP or Vita, but for a eight year old kid wanting a mario game, you get him either a DS or 3DS. It's pretty simple. So the thought of him potentially getting something else he might not want just because of this moronic worker talking his mom into buying something else was making me furious.

Thankfully though the guy gives up and sells her a 3DS, but basically refuses to give her a copy of Super Mario Land 3D, and forces a copy of NSMB DS on her. He said "It's a much better Mario, FACT!" and when the lady asked if her son didn't like it and still wanted Super Mario Land 3D, he responded "Well, you can always take it back and get a refund..... if he doesn't open it".

Jesus. Gamers are the worst fucking salesmen.

(walks into GameStop)

(walks into Target)

(fanboy checks computer)
(fanboy walks away)

I love you, Amazon.
Cool perfectly normal human interactions, bro.

I don't think I've ever had to deal with a game-related fanboy in the flesh but do Apple fanboys count? (even then I haven't seen that bad)

prwxv3

He's seriously butthurt about the PSX fiasco with Sony and Nintendo that happened like 20 years ago? Hell, from what I can remember it was Nintendo who dropped the betrayalton there, not Sony.

It was Nintendo not Sony. Though the contract did give Sony total control of any titles on the SNES CD format. But Nintendo screwed Sony over by forming a partnership with Phillips and announcing it at CES without telling Sony beforehand.

guek

Banned
Cool perfectly normal human interactions, bro.

I don't think I've ever had to deal with a game-related fanboy in the flesh but do Apple fanboys count? (even then I haven't seen that bad)

Ugh. Apple fanboys probably annoy me more than gamer fanboys. It was awful back when I used to sell computers for Best Buy.

"Ew. No, I don't want to look at windows machines. I'm not that stupid, lol."

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It was Nintendo not Sony. Though the contract did give Sony total control of any titles on the SNES CD format. But Nintendo screwed Sony over by forming a partnership with Phillips and announcing it at CES without telling Sony beforehand.

Yeah, all profits from the CD format would go to Sony while all profits from the cartridges would go to Nintendo. Hell, if Nintendo found the contract to be unacceptable, why did they even sign it at all? Were they drunk or did they just not read the contract?

This is so disgusting. Someone get that kid 3D Land!

spirity

(walks into GameStop)

(walks into Target)

(fanboy checks computer)
(fanboy walks away)

I love you, Amazon.

I don't get it. How are the shop assistants fanboys?

Card Boy

Banned
Valve and Naughty Dog fanboys annoy me the most, and this is coming from some with over 350 games on Steam. There is a difference between a regular Steam user and a rabid Valve fanboy that defends them and is viral at all costs.

I work at a small game store and the amount of blind/rampant fanboyism really busts me up. I usually just smile and nod when people say things like, "Nintendo is for kids. I mean, it looks like cartoons!" or "Playstation sucks because you can't play Gears of War or Halo" etc. The only way for me to remain
relatively
sane is to mention things like controller preference and the different options each console offers over the other, which usually gets replies like, "Yeah, well I just don't like systems that suck."

The other great one is when someone asks for your help, then proceeds to crap all over your suggestion. Awhile back, some guy came in looking for "Something along the lines of a garden simulator for the 360" and I quickly pointed him to Viva Pinata. "I'm not playing this, it looks stupid. You control Pinatas? Is this game for children?" I don't understand why some people even ask.

That's life, I guess.

Top Bottom