• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and PS4 Pro Owners, is the upgrade worth the cost? Why or why not?

I am too broke to buy a PS4 Pro at the moment, so I went with a PS4 Slim for $215.

The cheapest I could have gotten a Pro for that I have seen so far is $343. I just couldn't justify spending an extra $125 on a Pro, particularly since I'm still on a 1080p set.

The 1TB hard drive vs the 500GB hard drive is also a moot point for me since I already run off a 2TB drive.

So for owners of the Pro, do you really notice a difference as you play compared to your normal PS4? If you could post what kind of TV (1080p or 4K) you're on that would also be helpful. Also if you just got a new LG OLED or something along with your PS4 Pro, I don't want to hear about how amazing your PS4 Pro looks. Of course it will along with your brand new TV...I'm just looking for PS4 to PS4 Pro impressions.

DieH@rd

Banned
Totally worth it. I paid little for upgrade from base PS4, got the double HDD size, faster hardware, very low lag 1080p60 Remote Play, 1080p DVR, and quieter console. Currently enjoying RotTR in 60fps mode, and waiting with joy for next round of great games [TLG, Horizon, Nioh, etc].

Wins all around.

Definitely worth it. Didn't think I noticed much of a difference until I went back. Games like Watch Dogs 2 and Battlefield look amazing.

notacat

I'm not too impressed. Screen goes black a few times during games (PSVR is hooked up)

for PSVR some stuff looks great, which I DO like. BF1 running smoothly during action in multiplayer is noticeable too.

Now say, if I had replaced a video card with one that has 2x the performance and it performed like the PRO vs ps4, i'd be returning that video card and getting another.

Rellik

If you need a PS4 then yes it's more than worth the cost. I personally won't even consider a slim.

I'm not too impressed. Screen goes black a few times during games (PSVR is hooked up)

My OG PS4 that is dying now does that.

Had a very similar thread last week if it was worth 150$ more.

It seemed pretty 50/50 on it.
And I've been very flip floppy on it.

Want the 212 PS4 really bad but wonder if the PS4 will be very worth having in the future.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hate to be that guy, but there are already a bunch of PS4 Pro impression threads...

Stillmatic

IMO yes, unless money is tight because priorities. I was fortunate to be able to trade in my old PS4. With a 1080p set it has been absolutely worth it. Tomb Raider, Battlefield 1, Ratchet and Clank + many others I've tried all look awesome compared to OG. Double the HDD space of my OG was great too.

VR games I've played have also had a huge boost.

I must admit when I'm sitting too far back (3.5m on a 50") I don't notice the improvements as much, but in the sweet spot? Oooh weeee.

I'm going to go down the 'not worth it' route.

I've got a 4K TV so I can see some differences in some games, but for the extra cost I genuinely think the difference is negligible and certainly not the night-and-day difference you'd get with a brand new generation.

If all you can afford is a Slim then you'll get a completely acceptable experience. Unless you're a proper graphics fiend the difference won't be enormous in most cases.

Mezoly

I had the pro for a week with my 1080p tv before got my 65 inch Ks8000.

Not worth it for 1080p tv. Very little difference in the games I've tried.

Worth it for psvr and 1080p tv. The changes in vr games were big enough for me.

Obviously worth it with 4k tv regardless of owning vr.

MrBenchmark

If you get it for a good sale along with a trade in or something sure is it worth 399 straight up right now I don't think so not yet.

Once some software really takes advantage we will know then but so far it's a Luke warm welcome in my house so far I kept my launch PS4 as well. Sure some stuff looks a bit better I reserve my full judgement till we get more real Pro optimized titles.

I'm using it on a Vizio P series and it looks good but I really wish Sony wouldn't gimp it with older titles I feel the excuse about even performance is BS.

It's nice don't get me wrong but it needs more and could have really used that UHD BD drive.

ghibli99

Totally worth it, but if it puts you in a financial bind, seriously, don't sweat it. Not like it's going anywhere anytime soon. Enjoy your slim, and be thankful that you were able to buy one! A lot of people can't.

recursive

It is a toss up for me. Some games run and look great, others have performance issues. Not to happy with Blops 3 performance.

Arkeband

Banned
I managed to sell my OG PS4 for $220 and got the Pro for ~$340 from Target with discounts, so ~$120 to upgrade wasn't too bad.

FFXV will be the first game I have to actually take advantage of the Pro (aside from WoFF using the Pro to actually look shittier) so I guess we'll find out if it was worth it.

I think the thing that really kills it for me is that they just stuck in a regular blu ray drive. Even when I get a 4K set, I don't know that I'll get a Pro because of that. By that time Switch will be releasing and Scorpio will be around the corner. And I'd still be stuck watching streamed crap that's never actually what it says. So that along with having a 1080p set and no benefit from the hard drive in my case just makes it seem like it'd be a very small upgrade for the price.

darscot

It all depends on how you value and how tight you are on money. If the $150 is a serious amount to you then it's probably not worth it. If you can lose $150 without issue then it completely worth it.

Yes it's worth it he upgrade, psvr games look incredible. Titanfall 2, Ratchet, and other downsampled look amazing. I would recommend getting one it you like more performance and better visuals, or if you have an interest in picking up a vr headset.

Solobbos

I paid about 120€ for the upgrade. Not reaping the benefits that much yet on my 1080 telly, but I'm happy to know I have the best framerate and IQ available. In your situation I would probably buy the slim.

Ricky_R

1080p owner here and my first impression was pretty fucking good. Can't say for sure yet, though since I had to replace it for a new one that arrives tomorrow. ;)

Still, the fact that I will be able to play all games downsampled from now on, is reason enough for me to say it's worth it.

RexNovis

Banned
Ill just quote my response to a previous similar thread

RexNovis said:
For some reason I'm getting significantly improved upload and download speeds and the UI feels faster somehow. It's also a helluva lot quieter than my JP launch PS4 whilst playing games or movies. I bought it for better performance in future titles and I expected early ones sit Pro patches to have spotty support at best so I'm fairly happy with mine so far. I expect to see games capitalizing on Pro much better next Fall.

But I agree that at least at first it's not a particularly compelling value add for the premium. Especially not for the everyday consumer. I basically picked one up because a friend offered to buy my OG PS4 off me (said he was looking to buy a new console of some sort) figured I might as well pick up the Pro if I'm gonna get a new one.

It's not really that much more expensive and it's significantly more powerful so why not. But for someone who already owns a PS4 and wasn't looking for a new one I don't really see any compelling reasons to upgrade right now. I expect that to change mid way through next year though.

TLDR: While I do notice some QOL improvements for everyday use from the Pro as it is now its not really worth the extra monetary investment. However, I do see that changing by mid next year as more titles use the platform as a showcase for their new software. But yea basically you're buying it on the prospect of a future payoff at this point.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My reasons for getting a PS4 Pro

1) My PS4 liked to glitch out and constantly eject. I could stifle it by resetting the PS4, but it was getting annoying. (For some reason remote play seemed to cause it.)

2) 4K TV. When I figured that the 1070 in my PC would be best for driving 1440p, I figured that a PS4 would shake out roughly the same given the resolutions. I'll reserve the PC for high frame rate gaming.

Yeah, not rock solid reasoning I'm sure. But I'm still enjoying the thing along with its larger+faster HDD.

Also the added bonus to streaming game capture is nice. 1080p 60fps is a streaming option now. Nice for people with fast upload speeds at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXHO_EZao38

takoyaki

Very much worth it imo, I always thought that mid-gen upgrades for consoles would be a great idea and I’m happy that Sony finally went ahead and did it.

Higher resolution and HDR make a big difference on a 4k TV. Menu navigation in the OS is noticeably quicker and compared to my launch PS4, the Pro is quiet even during sections of games where my old PS4 sounded like a hair dryer. Better Wifi with 5GHz support is almost the biggest difference for me, I never had a reliable connection with my old PS4 and now the connection is rock-solid and fast (but I think the Slim supports 5Hz as well).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm playing on a 46" 1080p plasma screen and I already feel it's worth it, just from my experience with Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2. Both games (and especially TF2) look incredibly crisp with no jaggies at all. TF2 is a real sight to behold, with 60 fps as well. Ratchet looks insane as well, but I beat that earlier this year so I didn't feel like doing a replay.

I'd say the downsampling alone makes it worth the purchase.

I sold my old PS4 so I only paid €200 for the system, so for that price I think it's worth it. Especially because I can see myself getting the VR set down the road, and I just want to play all the future games with pro benefits. Just the thought of Horizon having pro benefits made me get one. Looking forward to that game a lot, and it's a title I want to experience in the best way possible.

As I said in another thread already, if you value better image quality, upgraded/additional graphical effects and higher frame-rates then the Pro is absolutely worth the small upgrade cost.

It doesn't matter what TV you own, you'll see the benefits on both 1080p and 4K.

btrboyev

So far I feel Iike I wasted money on it. Hopefully games start showing more improvements. I think stick with the Jaguar CPU was a huge mistake.

If you don't have the money to comfortably afford it, it's not worth it.

It's nice, yes, but it's not more valuable than your necessities, especially since you already have a regular PS4.

AmuroChan

I was going to buy a 2nd PS4 for my house anyway and I just bought a 4K TV, so getting the Pro was worth it for me. So far, I like the Pro very much, but I've also only played a few games that have had a substantial Pro patch. So it's not quite the same as getting a brand new console to start a new generation, but it's worth it if you're a tech enthusiast and have disposable income. If you have limited gaming budget, I would recommend spending that on games instead and maybe wait on the Pro.

I paid $100 for mine and I'd say it's worth it. Right now, I don't have the TV to utilize all of the features this thing can do...but I am in for that future proofing when I am up to par to purchase what is needed. So right now, I'm reaping the benefits of the 1080p stuff.

spannicus

Just bought a 4k tv and i have been using the old PS4 with it. The games look amazing just being upscaled by the tv. I dont think its worth it imo. Maybe if you have a 1080p tv then it might be but if you have a decent 4k tv then the upscaling looks good enough for me.

Koobion

In my opinion, the difference in price is small enough that this is a steal for what you're getting. The value is fantastic. Personally I would recommend waiting until the purchase is comfortable for you, because it's something you will likely not regret in the future as further enhancements are made to upcoming games! :)

I played quite a bit on a 1080p TV, and Tomb Raider's enhancements stood out so much to me; the aliasing issues were gone with the supersampling, and the system overall feels snappier to me.

ZeroEdge

I got mine with the Eb Games trade in deals for $95 bucks plus my old PS4 and my shitty WiiU that I haven't played in a year. It's been worth it so far for me, Titan Fall 2 looks amazing, Infamous looked great, and if Amazon would get off their lazy assess and actually ship my copy of FFXV out I'm sure that will looks amazing as well.

Just bought a 4k tv and i have been using the old PS4 with it. The games look amazing just being upscaled by the tv. I dont think its worth it imo. Maybe if you have a 1080p tv then it might be but if you have a decent 4k tv then the upscaling looks good enough for me.

So do you have a ps4 pro and a ps4?
Playing FFXV pro vs base
No way I can go back to that blurry mess.

BigEmil

When compared to OG PS4 and if you have one to trade in for Pro I think it's worth it.
Outside of enhanced games + enhanced VR games. Its bit more quieter than OG PS4 even with extra hardware power, much better wifi antenna, updated usb 3.1 bluetooth 4, slightly faster loading speeds and streaming, better streaming capabilities and 1080p remote play etc, extra usb port also... Nioh 1080p 60fps pro mode instant buy.
I'll buy one early 2017 just in time for Nioh.

Gaspard

Just got one in that Amazon sale for really cheap. Not impressed so far from the patches since they mostly don't emphasize framerate but i'm hopeful for Nier!

Fisty

I'm on a 1080p set, and I'm just so damn glad to be done with jaggies and shimmering in the patched games. Killer feature, I expected them to look a little better but the IQ boost is massive imo

Ratchet and Clank, Killing Floor 2, PSVR... CLEAN

Lo-Volt

If money is tight for you right now, then the answer is no, it's not worth it.

To get to the rest of your question, the Pro model will probably be more worthwhile down the road, when more games are patched to include support or include support on day one. I happen to own one of these, and I love it, but it's definitely not a gaming necessity right now.

Also forgot to mention that the PS4 Pro is quieter (your mileage may vary, based on other's experiences). To have a substantially quieter console, on top of yielding much better visuals in supported games, has been a real benefit.

I actually held off and cancelled my pre-order because I thought "how much better could it look?" and then I snagged 2 4K LG Monitors and decided I may as well grab one and all I can say is holy shit.

I was visibly impressed with games like Deus Ex, Watch Dogs 2, and BF1. I mean, it's hard to really explain just how great it looks but I'd purchase the Pro in a heartbeat if I had to do it all over.

I think it depends on how nitpicky you are. I am, a bit, and for me the little improvements make a big difference in the overall experience - also I have a 4k TV. However, being realistic it's not at all a world of a difference and if you're tight on money a regular PS4 will do just fine.

TBH if I had a 1080p native TV I probably would notice less of a difference? The biggest 'problem' is that on a 4k screen native 1080p games look worse than on a 1080p TV due to the scaling.

theDeeDubs

Wasn't worth it on a 1080p TV for me. I flipped inputs through PS4, PS4 Pro, and XB1 S on several games and didn't find the differences worth it. My wife couldn't even tell which was which funnily enough. That coupled with a high pitched fan/coil whine was enough for me to send it back for a refund.

Just for the record, I flipped through Skyrim, Deus Ex, and Shadow of Mordor on all three. I also tried out Ratchet and Uncharted 4. The GAF hype on Ratchet left me disappointed I think. I was expecting way more.

Garudan

Banned
Totally worth it. I paid little for upgrade from base PS4, got the double HDD size, faster hardware, very low lag 1080p60 Remote Play, 1080p DVR, and quieter console. Currently enjoying RotTR in 60fps mode, and waiting with joy for next round of great games [TLG, Horizon, Nioh, etc].

Wins all around.

Pretty much me. I recommend anyone getting a pro to pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider for an excellent example of how good Pro support can be. And hopefully by December the same can be said for FFXV with the performance mode update.

Nameless

Absolutely yes. All the QoL improvements on top of pretty significant visual and/or performance upgrades despite devs mostly doing bare minimum right now makes it a no brainier. Actual Pro support will only deepen as game makers get more time/experience with the hardware. Imagine how Spiderman, God of War, Horizon, Red Dead 2 etc..will run on the thing.

In your position OP, I would have banked that $215 and saved up for the rest.

M.W.

I sold my PS4 for $225 and bought a Pro for $360 at Target. Yes, it's totally worth it. I do have a 4K TV and the IQ is insane, I love it.

platina

It's worth it just for the cleaner picture alone. More if the game has increased graphical effects. Great bargain too

fetus8

I sold my White Destiny PS4 to a friend for $275, so my cost to upgrade was pretty low, AND I'm still on a 1080p set at home. So far it's been absolutely worth it for me. The fans are definitely quieter on mine, YMMV, and the boost in IQ in games even on 1080p has been noticeable for me.

I've taken the console over to a friend's house, who has a 4K TV, and we were blown away. I haven't seen anything quite like it, and this wasn't even HDR. Uncharted 4 and The Rise of the Tomb Raider looked absolutely stunning. This has confirmed the upgrade to a 4K HDR TV for me in 2017.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it, but that deal on the new Slim PS4 is absolutely killer, so unless you currently have a 4K set, idk if it's truly worth it.

Top Bottom