• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and PS4 Pro Owners, is the upgrade worth the cost? Why or why not?

catbrush

Not worth it (yet). I bought the pro for FFXV. Playing on high resolution mode, on 1080p looks fantastic, although it's not a transformative change. It's more than just nice AA, the super sampling conveys a lot more visual information in motion than traditional 1080p rendering. I haven't gotten to see HDR on pro yet, but the super sampling is a big upgrade in detail at 1080p, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on that front. Unfortunately the game does not run well in high quality mode, making the quality improvements moot. Hoping the December patch smooths it out, and looking forward to 2017 games.

chifanpoe

Not worth it (yet). I bought the pro for FFXV. Playing on high resolution mode, on 1080p looks fantastic, although it's not a transformative change. It's more than just nice AA, the super sampling conveys a lot more visual information in motion than traditional 1080p rendering. I haven't gotten to see HDR on pro yet, but the super sampling is a big upgrade in detail at 1080p, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on that front. Unfortunately the game does not run well in high quality mode, making the quality improvements moot. Hoping the December patch smooths it out, and looking forward to 2017 games.

HDR turned on, even on the normal PS4, on an LG OLED is very very good for FF15.

opoth

Banned
From someone that's just purchased a PS4 standard and has an Xbox one I'm not buying into this half generation "upgrade" it's nice we have the option but I'm not interested.

Same, I have a feeling my wife will be putting a PS4 under the tree this year and I'm sure it will be a Slim if she does.

It's going to be a Persona 5/Berseria/DQ11/FF7r box (notice how I'm still waiting for games?) Not to make it about system wars but my XB1 has been meeting my needs nicely the past couple years.

The Pro seems like a headache so far with broken day 1 Pro support in a few cases. Lack of UHD was a deal breaker too.

I was hyped but lack of a 4K UHD drive killed it for me. I just bought a shit-ton of 4K UHD movies on Black Friday sales and the Xbone S is in my setup for that reason alone. I don't even own a 4K TV yet but the S downscales 4K movies to 1080p and they look fantastic. I didn't think I'd care that much about the UHD drive, but it honestly became a factor for me in anticipation of getting a 4K HDR OLED next year. I don't think the PS4 Pro will make it on my radar again unless they release a revision with a UHD drive.

I had the pro for a week with my 1080p tv before got my 65 inch Ks8000.

Not worth it for 1080p tv. Very little difference in the games I've tried.

Worth it for psvr and 1080p tv. The changes in vr games were big enough for me.

Obviously worth it with 4k tv regardless of owning vr.

Dude we were in the exact same situation with the exact same perspective. That's so so weird.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Absolutely worth it, even as a PS4 owner IMO. A case can be made regarding the minority of single player titles with few improvements, but the framerate stabilization and visual improvements via downsampling in games like Titanfall 2 and BF1 are worth the cost alone.

Bonus features:

1. Peace of mind knowing you'll play the best version of all upcoming PS4 titles
2. 5GHz WIFI
3. Faster load times (small but noticable)
4. Remote play improvements
5. Share improvements
6. Improved DS4 battery life (waiting for official testing, but there's definitely a difference)
7. Improved PSVR support
8. 5GHz WIFI
9. 5GHz WIFI
10. 5GHz WIFI

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
For me, it's %100 percent worth it, but only with a 4K TV. I actually initially played my Pro on a 1080p TV and while I noticed some small improvements in certain games visually, it wasn't until I purchased a 4K a TV that I really saw some (to me) big changes in image quality. It's enough to renew my interest in old games, and also knowing that games going forward are going to be Pro-enhanced that really gets me excited.

It's not quite a complete "generational" leap, but it's sparked a new passion for technology in me and made me dream about what's possible for the future of the medium.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not for me as I'm not a big graphics guy and have a gaming PC anyway. With a 1080p TV and only using the PS4 for exclusives, I just don't care enough to spend the money or time moving my 2TB drive over etc. for some IQ and framerate boosts I mostly won't appreciate not being a graphics lover.

Yes if you can get a quiet system. For me the benefits are negated if it sounds like a hair dryer is on during basic gameplay scenes where next to nothing is happening. I had to return two of them and just decided to use my PS4 Slim for now.

Experien

I am hoping for amazement to come soon but honestly, Not seeing the big fuss.

Granted I've only played Killing Floor 2, RIGS, and one other VR game, but not noticing a huge change. I thought I might've seen something with RIGS but I think I was just hoping there was something.

Well I was all about "trade in value" but then I had a secondary and personal reason that made it worthwhile. I gifted my ps4 to my GF's brother who didn't make the next gen leap.

I definitely do see a difference across the board on performance. (Namely when the games are Pro enhanced)

It's what your budget is but you will see it as an upgrade.

Also worth noting, I say this as a person who is leaning towards making this the last console I buy and going full PC from this point on... unless the Switch is amazing.

TalonJH

I don't have a 4k TV and while I was worried it wouldn't be worth it in those last few weeks before launch, It turned out to be a great upgrade for me. I'm enjoying mine and it's the only reason I am gearing up to buy a mid-range 4k TV sooner than I had planned.

I should add that I traded my old PS4 and two controllers to Amazon for $200 and only paid $200 for the Pro afterwards.

On a rational basis OP the answer for me is no.
Unfortunately I am quite irrational and the smoother framerates and better IQ in BF1 64 player mean I'm satisfied with my €250 spend (sold my PS4 for €150)

Lady Gaia

Absolutely worth it, even as a PS4 owner IMO. A case can be made regarding the minority of single player titles with few improvements, but the framerate stabilization and visual improvements via downsampling in games like Titanfall 2 and BF1 are worth the cost alone.

Bonus features:

1. Peace of mind knowing you'll play the best version of all upcoming PS4 titles
2. 5GHz WIFI
3. Faster load times (small but noticable)
4. Remote play improvements
5. Share improvements
6. Improved DS4 battery life (waiting for official testing, but there's definitely a difference)
7. Improved PSVR support
8. 5GHz WIFI
9. 5GHz WIFI
10. 5GHz WIFI

I totally agree that it's worth it if it doesn't result in financial strain, and the 5GHz WiFi is part of what I'm enjoying about the move from my launch PS4, but for the OP and others considering a choice now that's not relevant. The Slim also has 5GHz WiFi.

SonComet

So far I've really loved the pro. I've never been bothered at all by games that have a lot of aliasing or sub-native resolution. For example, I thought Halo 3 was stunning and sharp at the time (I had a 50" 768p Kuro when that released). But the difference in picture quality with the pro actually surprised me on my Samsung 65HU9000. I was expecting less. And HDR not looking so great on my edge lit 2014 set prompted me to upgrade to a 65" LG B6. I feel like the pro has gotten a bad reputation unfairly. It's been a substantial upgrade if you have the TV to take advantage of it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Uhm, when I look at the TV, and see what goes on in the PSVR helmet, it's like the TV has lost the signal for a short moment sometimes. Screen goes black and the TV looks for HDMI for 1 sec or two.

Should I be worried?

This happens to me as well when the PSVR is hooked up. Essentially I think its just an HDMI handshake issue as the PSVR pass-thru box is not using the latest HDCP security version (2.2) and instead is running an older 1.4 variant. Think of handshaking like a customs desk at the airport, HDMI has a security measure to ensure the signal meets certain sepcifications before it "allows" the picture to be recieved on the TV, the HDCP ensures the connected devices have the correct paperwork before allowing it through.

Basically Sony should have had the foresight to ensure the Pass-thru box supported 2.2 specification so the HDMI signal cleanly connects the output signal to the TV even when the VR is not in use. The discrepancy in the HDCP handshake between the TV and PSVR supported 2.2 but the signal dropping to 1.4 because PSVR causes some traffic in the connection and thus every now and again(usually once a few minutes after playing) you get the signal drop as it reattempts the security check.

I am sure other posters could chime in or correct me as I myself am a bit hazy on this given light research on the issue(happens to me all the time as well). But that is my best guess as to the problem.

I basically just reached a point where I swap HDMI cables when I plan to play VR and otherwise keep the PS4 Pro directly connected to the TV when not. The issue doesn't occur when the PSVR is removed from the equation.

KalBalboa

Banned
I paid about $300 for mine.

The PSVR improvements were noticeable within a second of booting up a game with the headset on. The extra USB on the back makes hiding all the cables for VR much easier too.

I'm a 1080p set owner and have noticed cleaner IQ on a few titles, namely Ratchet.

The faster WiFi is a neat perk too.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Totally worth it. I paid little for upgrade from base PS4, got the double HDD size, faster hardware, very low lag 1080p60 Remote Play, 1080p DVR, and quieter console. Currently enjoying RotTR in 60fps mode, and waiting with joy for next round of great games [TLG, Horizon, Nioh, etc].

Wins all around.

1080p DVR? How?

emrober5

PS4 Pro ended up costing me $200 after selling my launch model and it is absolutely worth it.

I have a 55" Samsung 4K that had an HDR firmware update. Last of Us, Rachet and Clank and Dishonored 2 have been my most played, they all look great. TLOU is so crisp and the colors really pop now.

Only thing that bugged me is the price drop on Amazon during cyber monday after I paid full price.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I totally agree that it's worth it if it doesn't result in financial strain, and the 5GHz WiFi is part of what I'm enjoying about the move from my launch PS4, but for the OP and others considering a choice now that's not relevant. The Slim also has 5GHz WiFi.

If people are that constrained financially, that's very true. It's all about value and what that value means to the consumer. I just noticed I didn't even mention the 4k benefits.

FWIW, after trading in my PS4 and some old PS3 games I ended up paying $215 for mine.

ghibli99

It will be different depending on your setup, but I'm enjoying it. I got $200 for my old PS4, so the additional cost was worth it for the visual upgrade. Rez in 4K and the IQ of Ratchet & Clank was impressive, and despite its technical issues, FF15 looks pretty good on High. I have the 43" Sony X800D, and I sit 2.5' from it, so the increase in resolution is a big gain for me.

Didn't get to play it on my 1080P set, 4K arrived 2 days before hand. Considering Amazon gave me 184 after inspection checks for my OG + 2 worn out controllers, I say it was well worth the upgrade for me. Games look stunning

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yup looks great in my 65ks8000. Sold my PS4 with 1 controller for $250 and had store credit at Gamestop so it was a minimal cost.

Business

Meh, sold my PS4 for 240eur and got the pro for 390eur so yeah for that having a new controller and the HDD upgrade it's ok. Can't say I've been blown away tough, and I have a 4K TV.

notaskwid

I jumped in because I had a nice promotion and because I was going to sell my PS4 next year anyway due to a projected major change in my life I might as well sell it as soon as possible to get the most of money out of it, as I hope the pro will still fetch a mice price when I sell it.
That said, while nice, the upgrades aren't anything special to me and if I didn't got the promo I got I would've been perfectly satisfied with my PS4.
I'd say upgrade it if the money doesn't make a big difference to you, the upgrade is nice, otherwise save it for Switch that is just around the corner (if you're interested in that).

inner-G

Banned
I had sold my PS4 a while ago so it made sense to get a Pro

If I still had an OG PS4 on hand, it would've been a much harder sell

notaskwid

Meh, sold my PS4 for 240eur and got the pro for 390eur so yeah for that having a new controller and the HDD upgrade it's ok. Can't say I've been blown away tough, and I have a 4K TV.
Lol you tricked someone well with that one, you can get a new one for around that price sometimes with games now. Unless you sold it like an year ago.

Pjsprojects

I picked one up but returned it for a slim.
My old PS4 needed replacing and I have a 50" 4k hdr TV so expected to see a big improvement.
For me it seemed pretty minor in Cod,Wd2 and The last of us.

Dunlop

Worth it for me as EBGames Canada had some crazy trade in promotions, cost me nothing after trading in my XB1 and PS4 (XB1 had not been used in a while)

As a 1080P TV owner, I can't say it would have been worth it if I spent actual cash

After seeing ratchet and clank in checkerboard 4k with HDR as my first pro game it was definitely worth it. I was originally going to hold out to see if next tears model would have UHD Blu ray but made the jump after the Amazon deal.

Checkerboard looks better than I thought, did not notice a significant difference from my couch.

SpartanN92

Banned
I have a KS8000 and Uncharted 4 looked magnificent!

I haven't tried anything else yet but I'm looking forward to Battlefield especially.

Galafar

Neo Member
I see it as future proofing. Nioh's enhancements alone and that's a niche game shows me Pro is more about the future.

Boss Man

No. Especially not if you don't own a 4K TV.

I do own a 4K TV and I regret it. It's buggy (there's an HDCP issue that makes video and audio cut out at times on many TVs) and games do not appear to be properly optimized for it.

If I was buying a PS4 for the first time and I owned a 4K TV, I would probably get the Pro over the Slim. That's about as much as I could recommend it.

I got it for the better clarity in VR and it has been very good for me. Also sold off my normal ps4 for $200 so it just cost the difference. On my 1080p TV pro patched games look cleaner in general and while it's not a huge change, I knew exactly what I was getting into there.

With the deals that could be had during Black Friday for a PS4 Slim, I'd say not worth it. I even actually recommended someone get the Slim over the Pro because of it. I feel all this talk of night and day difference is borderline hyperbole. There is an increase in image quality, and I can see it, but I feel the improvement overall is marginal, not huge like some people are proclaiming. I don't feel the gains you get right now is worth the 50 to 100% increase in cost for a lot of people. As some even mentioned here, they really couldn't see how big the difference was until they did a side by side or went back. To me that's not a night and day difference. A night and day difference is like going from PS3 to PS4 in graphics. This to me is a marginal increase. Framerate improvements to me are a much bigger gain over increase in image quality, but too bad very few games give you any benefit in that area and several games are suffering from frame pacing issues on the Pro with who knows when or if it'll be fixed. I don't think anyone who bought a Slim on Black Friday should regret their purchase. They got a hell of a system, a hell of a bundle, and a hell of a deal.

Also forgot to mention that the PS4 Pro is quieter (your mileage may vary, based on other's experiences). To have a substantially quieter console, on top of yielding much better visuals in supported games, has been a real benefit.

He bought a Slim though. By all accounts, the Slim is quieter than the Pro.

xDEKOIx

Does having HDR make a huge difference?
Basically asking if I get a ps4 pro to play on my 4k tv without HDR, am I missing out?

Yes, no jaggies was worth it alone for me, didnt pay much since I sold my ps4 and some games on craigslist, I do have a 4k set w/ fake HDR but looks great imo, dont care.

leehom

If you game alot, definitely worth. If you're a casual, probably not. I love the new controller revisions, quiet console, physical buttons, not sure if it was the old ps4 or controller, but alot less input lag in games.

Only downsides for me is the console is slightly larger and it's difficult to plug stuff in the ports in the back.

Logsi

Worth it for me on a 50" Sony W829 1080p.

BF1 is 1080p and now playable.
Titanfall is 1080p and gorgeous.
Rise of the Tomb Raider options for 60fps, 1080p enriched and 4k down sampled.
Watch Dogs downsample. So sharp!

And more to come. Exciting!

My only criticisms are the buttons on the front are cheap and flimsy. The light is annoying on the front. The OG console looked far better established and well rounded.

Worth the upgrade for me. I game on a 100 inch screen with a 1080p gaming projector. Downsampling is amazing. Sooo much cleaner on that size.

Top Bottom