• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Your Opinion of The Last of Us Part II Focusing on Joel & Ellie?

Disappointed. I'm hopeful it'll be good still...but we'll see.I mean, if we always made another game/movie/etc because there was something good in the first then where does it end? That's how we get Robocop 2, people. Though I suppose that is also how we get Terminator 2....

psyfi

Banned
My thoughts from the reveal thread:

You know, I was one of those people who didn't see much need for a sequel, but now that it's happening, I'm excited as hell. There's a lot of potential. And honestly, my heart wants Joel to redeem himself. ND has the opportunity to really take an honest look at masculinity, male violence, and fatherhood here. Joel, out of his own fragility, killed dozens of innocent people, ignored Ellie's choice to die, lied to Ellie, and robbed the planet of a potential cure. If ND can find a way to write an authentic and appropriate story of healing and reconciliation here, it could be as stunning and impactful as the original game was, not to mention groundbreaking material for video games as a storytelling medium.
I really do think ND has the potential to explore some pretty deep issues around masculinity here. It sounds like TLOU2 will primarily be Ellie's story, but I'm sure they'll give us some significant character development with Joel, too. I really hope the old man comes through.

score01

I would have preferred that they moved onto another story in the universe and left Joel and Ellie. I really hope they don't mess this up and ruin the feels I have for them.

RoKKeR

Couldn't be more excited. I could see how TLOU might be the end of their story just as easily as I can see it continuing, so I trust Druckman with his decision to move forward with these characters.

jiggle

It had to be them
There was no way they could have a happy ending after the first game
Ellie is still the only keyblade holder

Opa-Pa

I was really against the idea ever since I finished the first game back in the day. I was on the camp that thought the game didn't need a sequel at all, and if it were to get one, it should have one.

... However, I can't say no to a trailer like that. I loved Ellie in part 1, even more after Left Behind, so seeing her all grown up and hearing she's the MC this time has me excited.

Unrelated, but all the extreme hate Joel gets is kinda ridiculous. I'm guessing a lot of people wouldn't have trouble letting the only person they have left in the world get killed for an uncertain cause?

I'm not a real fan of focusing on the same characters. Its understandable that some may want more closure after the first game ended with them walking off into the sunset.

Personally I wanted a different view point. I didn't want American setting I wanted to see a European setting, different characters and how things have been there.

OrionX

More Joel and Ellie with Ellie as the mc is exactly what I wanted, so I'm pretty excited. :)

I thought the first game would've been fine as a standalone, but I love the characters and I want to see more of them. I'm really interested to see how the relationship between the pair has developed since we last saw them.

Fbh

Mixed. Have personal arguments for and against it.

On one side:
To me the story felt pretty much perfect and complete by the end of the original game (specially with that great ending). ND had a story to tell with these characters and they did.
This definitely feels like the safe "we are going back to this story because it was so popular" move, and in my experience from movies/books/games that doesn't allways work out that well and might even hurt my perception of the original.

On the other side:
Ellie and Joel ARE The Last of Us (not literally). The gameplay was, IMO, great and so was the presentation but it was really these 2 characters that made the game be something special.
It's not like the original created some amazing world, it was a generic zombie apocalypse setting. By the end of the game I wasn't left wishing to know and explore more of this world, because I've been exposed to something like it many times before.
So, in a way, I feel like making it about Joel and Ellie again is the only way for a TLOU2 to make sense for me. Because if ND is going to tell a different story with different characters I would rather have them making a new IP

In short, I would have preferred a new IP over TLOU2. But since making a sequel has already been decided I think overall I'm happy it's about Joel and Ellie

Samaritan

Like a lot of people on GAF, I wanted a new story with new characters in a new setting, but I also trust Neil and the rest of Naughty Dog that they wouldn't go back to this well if they didn't have an interesting story to tell. So I'm in.

I feel like the relationship between Ellie and Joel is the heart of The Last of Us, both in terms of story and game mechanics, they could've tried to recapture that with a new dynamic duo but chances are that'd just seem like a lame rehash. It's better to just continue the story of the original characters.

I had enough safe haven fakeouts in TWD for one lifetime so I'm pretty disappointed they're going with this.

Still, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

MrS

Banned
Hate it and feel that Joel and Ellie's story was told to a beautiful, satisfying conclusion in TLOU. Would have preferred new characters in the same world.

To me, Joel and Ellie are Tlou. I've got attached to them and i wanted more. So super happy i would say.

Yes, tlou worked perfectly as a self contained story, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing more to tell.

I see The first game as an arc, the first arc in a broader story, focused on world setting and the bonding between the 2 characters, and now we'll have a second arc, or to better say it, a part 2 lol.

Strimei

Kind of would like to see others going through things in the world besides them but it works well enough I suppose. And the shift to Ellie at least keeps it fresher than if we were Joel again.

Memento

I was very hesitant about a TLOU2, particulary because I was afraid a sequel could devaluate the original's ending, which was perfect imo. But after watching the trailer, the ideas came rolling in my mind and I am totally on board now.

I trust in Naughty Dog.

No.

Joel needs some hard shit thrown his way. The first game's ending had me pissed at him.

What a terrible read on the story, sheez.

It's a cash grab. Their story was completely wrapped by the end of the original. There was no reason to see them in a sequel other than feeding off their popularity for sales.

On that note... I hope Joel gets what's coming to him.

Help.

AAK

It's a cash grab. Their story was completely wrapped by the end of the original. There was no reason to see them in a sequel other than feeding off their popularity for sales.

On that note... I hope Joel gets what's coming to him.

Tankard

I loved The Last of Us ending and wanted more out of that story, to me it's clear there was a lot more to tell/see, so i'm pretty happy.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I mean at the end of the day, they're the characters you care about. The Last of Us' world is just another post-apocalyptic zombie-land. But it's Joel and Ellie who drive all the investment and save it from feeling derivative.

Memento

Kind of off-topic I guess but...

I really dont understand the people that got "mad" at Joel because of his decision in the end.

There is absolutely no way he would accept to sacrifice her for the "greater good".

How exactly, if you don't mind me asking?

You don't think that Joel, the guy who lost his daughter and with her his faith in humanity, has had enough "hard shit" thrown his way, even disregarding the fact that he had been surviving in a ruthless world for 20 years prior to doing what he did at the end of the game.

You also don't think it's insane to let a group of idealistic rebels murder your surrogate daughter for some lost cause without 1. talking to her a last time, or 2. maybe actually letting her decide, seeing as how they didn't even do that?

Would you really, given the same situation, let another group of people kill your most beloved person in the world without a last good bye, or without her making the explicit decision to literally give his/her life?

Also, did you not get from the story that his choice at the end would be an inevitable one, seeing as how the situations mirror each other exactly? (two authorities take away his "daughter" for what they believe to be the greater good)

EGM1966

I'm not a fan of taking a setting specifically created for one story being used for others. So while I'd have been fine with one and done if it's not Joel and Ellie it's not TLOU.

They are the who the world exists for. So I'm fine with it.

I see how it could easily be used for other stories but with new characters I'd want a new setting not a re-use.

So I'm fine with it.

Having it set later with Ellie older and the main protagonist was obvious narrative way to go so I hope they execute well on it.

Henkka

Banned
Yeah, the story of TLOU is about Joel and Ellie, not about surviving in a fungal zombie apocalypse. That's just the backdrop.

nickgia

Tepid. I hope there is a reason to go back to these characters since I thought Last of Us ended so well and closed their arc.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I love it. Feel the story and relationship between Joel, Ellie and The Fireflies has so much more to tell.

This. That's what made the first game. Without them it's just another generic post-apocalyptic setting.

its funny The same people who created this "perfect" ending that people love so much and think should be left alone are creating a sequel. You would think those crying about a sequel with the same characters would have faith in the same people that created the first master piece to create another great story

daTRUballin

Yeah, I agree with some of the previous posters. Joel and Ellie's relationship is the heart and soul of TLoU. Take that away and it's not TLoU anymore. It's one of the reasons, if not THE reason why I was interested in the story in the first place.

Plum

There are only so many times you can see a new set of characters go to shit in a post apocalypse before you find the idea stale. I'm glad they're doing a direct, no-nonsense sequel with the same characters; semi-reboots are way too prevalent in the industry today, and TLoU's world is not interesting enough to support them. Joel and Ellie are what made TLoU, if they hadn't been written the way they did it would be nothing more than Children of Men: The Videogame.

PlayerOne

Banned
The first game is not really like Star Wars or any other kind of story that has a lot of world-building. It is obvious it was deep-rooted in characters and characterisation.

I do not get how getting another set of characters will bring anything to the table.

They are all in the same situation, and it is not like you can play with any other kinds or archetypes of characters in such a narrow form of world or setting.

Like, okay, you can have a psychopath character but I mean we have already those characters and I am pretty sure we will meet different characters throughout the story, so, the world itself does not lend to wildly different kinds of characters anyway.

It is fine for me. I am pretty sure if we get another set of characters they will be a derivative of Joel and Ellie anyway. They will be in the same situations and survival, loyalty, etc. will be the same themes anyway.

Might as well make Joel and Ellie just as multi-faceted as ever and have character arcs.

meppi

Naughty Dog knows what they are doing and I'm glad they are not listening to people whining about everything.
If they did their games wouldn't be as special as they are so I'm hoping they will keep ignoring these knowitalls.

I didn't want it before. But I'm happy I think. I love Joel.

I'm not 100% sure about the story. I don't like the Ellie going out like she's a killing machine. It was already a bit hard to buy Joel killing so many people (especially davids men when he was injured and the hospital), and I hope there is a focus on needing to survive as opposed to something akin to uncharted where the characters always get out of everything and mows down a literal army

I know Ellie is on some warpath, but I hope there is great nuance as opposed to Ellie literally killing every enemy of hers.

My favourite moments are when Joel and Ellie are fighting smaller numbers and clickers

I especially hope we get to discover new settlements/peoples

Rixxan

The original is my favorite single player game of the aughts, and I didn't want a sequel

That being said now that it's being made I'm very excited, here's to naughty dog and druckmann pulling off a godfather 1 to godfather 2 type artistic feat

Joel doesn't need to excuse his actions to anyone btw, what he did was beyond understandable given his plight

Stop being so detached from the character you're playing

Personally I wanted a take with different characters and for them to really flesh out the world of The Last of Us. Having said that I trust Neil and the boys and gals over at ND. And I'd be lying if I said that the trailer didn't get me hyped because it did.

You're only as good as your last effort and ND did not release a single bad game last generation and got the ball rolling this gen with Uncharted 4. I trust them to deliver. Naughty Dog 🐾 =QUALITY.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Love it.
They have a fantastic relationship, backed by incredible writing and performance.

When I played tlou I felt that it should be a one and done thing, because I thought they would somehow tarnish it down the line. Then Left Behind came out and I realized that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I doubted them and they shut me up, so now I blindly trust their output in whatever they want to do with this. Also the trailer gives me confidence in the direction they're going.

Shang

I find the world of the last of us extremely run of the mill, the only really special thing about the game was the relationship between Joel and Ellie, so my complete lack of interest went up to some when I saw the trailer.

Top Bottom