• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

Only have a handful of Plats but regret them and I only did them for the rewards e.g. 100% completion or actually wanted to do the grind that I never did on original release (FFX). Otherwise I don't actively aim for them. I used to like aiming for the best weapon in games too but even that I don't bother with anymore. It's usually a chore to do.

Orbis

I have maybe 3 platinums but only because they were relatively easy and I just set myself a goal. I have zero on PS4. Basically 99% of the time I absolutely don't give a shit and if I do check the trophy list I won't even bother getting some really easy missed bronze trophies.

If you aren't enjoying games because of trophies you are doing yourself a massive disservice and you need to deal with it somehow. Convince yourself they are worthless and you'll be happier.

I should add that I have no problem with trophies or achievements, a lot of people enjoy them and I see them as harmless overall.

KyleCross

They're great, and I never understood why anyone shit talks them. Achievements have been part of gaming for a very long time, they merely use to be numbers on a stats screen in the game. Now you get something a bit more robust. I remember people taking polaroid photos of their stat screens in a game and showing them off at school and shit back in the day.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No they were not. It’s unfortunate when some people have obsessive/compulsive issues with them but there’s plenty of people who enjoy them without any problems.

Its exploiting human addiction behavior, which is no much like gambling.

OP, perhaps try to see platinum trophies as being indicators of your favourite games. Something to draw a little more blood from the stone when all's said and done with the main campaign. I enjoy a lot of different games but see the platinum as a free, non compulsory, extension of a game. Something to grind toward if I have enjoyed what's there, want something more to pursue and show a little prestige at the same time.

Hope you can get back to enjoying games again, always worth remembering that trophies are adding challenge for the sake of challenge. They're not made to complete the gameplay experience, they're made in addition to it. Enjoy the experience the creator envisaged and then use trophies as a way of spending more time in the ones you enjoy.

Achievements are just empty fluff. On the backend it's just the game sending a packet to a server and the server putting a checkmark next to that achievement ID. It's literally nothing but some bookkeeping. On Steam I believe you can use tools to toggle achievements on and off on a whim, after it saw that I couldn't care less about my list of achievements. Life is too short and my backlog is too big to worry about it that much..

For the most part I don't really care about achievements, but I had so much fun trying to get the wax on/wax off achievements in geometry wars 2 i'll always have a soft spot for them.

If a game has an uninteresting list of achievements I won't think any less of it. On the rare occasion that they are fun to play for then that's great.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I know someone who gets paid by people to get them trophies. They give him their log in details and he gets the trophies for them. Utter madness

I've got one Platinum on PSN, one of the Sly Cooper remasters, and the closest I got on 360 was Blur, where I was one away.

Sometimes I used to look at ones that looked fun to get, but grinding and multiple play throughs just don't appeal at all.

shimon

I was like that before finally saying: "Fuck it!". Bc I stopped having fun.

Now whatever trophies/achievements are reasonable I will try and get but other than that I don't think about it.

Rejam

Neo Member
I've turned them off on my Ps4.
I don't even think about them at all.

I think trophies/achievements that encourage people to play the game in alternative ways and mix things up are interesting, but these are few and far between.

I feel a lot are just for making it to the next level and finally reaching the end (patronising) and making you grind out more hours after you are done enjoying the game.

I feel better just ignoring them altogether.

zoukka

I know there are bigger things to complain about, but fuck man. I have ruined video games for myself by being such an achievement/trophy whore. How the fuck do people break this addiction. I want off this ride.

Can you delete your trophies in any way?

Rosur2a

I used to be like this with games now I just playthrough and go for a plat if the games fun/ easy trophies.

Yakuza 0 was the game that made me realise its why I haven't been playing as many games as I don't look forward to the grind. So I just focused on the story and had a good time with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami.

Fliesen

Can you delete your trophies in any way?

You can delete games from the list if you don't have a single trophy earned for them.

Which makes things even worse, as you can 'curate' your list even more, putting an even higher emphasis on completed titles 😳

The lettters section in the latest issue of Edge magazine was good for this.

There were two letters, printed side by side, with conflicting views on the subject. One reader laments the lack of trophies on the Switch, wishing there were some to convince him to try new things in Breath of the Wild. Edge responded with something like "well, some of us like to be able to enjoy our games without having our progress measured in rote and arbitrary ways. Like this person:"

The other reader, a recent Switch owner, blissfully states how refreshing the Switch has been without any achievements. This second reader used to begrudgingly go for trophies, but found it hard not to be drawn into them despite their hollow satisfaction. However, on the Switch they appreciate being able to just focus on the core of the game again. Edge sided with this reader, with a great summary of achievement systems, writing something like:

"If we had to pick a side we'd go with yours. Achievements can be great when done well, but they so rarely are".

I stopped caring about Achievements during the first year they were out for the 360 because I noticed how miserable everyone always sounded when they talked about grinding for them. When I beat Horizon Zero Dawn I noticed that I had only missed one achievement, and I knew it would have taken like 3 minutes to go get it and then I would have a platinum, but I just shrugged and moved on with my life.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
"If we had to pick a side we'd go with yours. Achievements can be great when done well, but they so rarely are".

By the way, I think Banjo (the N64 ports) and Sonic did quite well with achievements so far: They mostly give achievements for progress in the main game and give some extra awards for reasonable extra challenges, like solving all of the secret puzzle Bottles gives in Banjo-Kazooie or beating a certain time in a Sonic level (numours Sonic games).

Wamb0wneD

For me personally achievements always come across as a variation of boyscout badges. Instead of helping someone across the street or managing to live a night outside you have to collect 100 somethings or do that other nonsensical thing. Dunno, guess I'm too old for that stuff to dictate how I play a game instead of you know....just playing the actual game. For it's fun gameplay, design or story, not for useless pop ups that tell me how cool I am.

There are too many good titles out there for me to do some arbitrary thing that's not part of anything meaningful in a game because the dev felt the need to pad their gamelenght with this nonsense. If you need achievments to keep you enticed playing a game maybe that game just isn't that good or has run it's course by the time you finished it.

I never understood the need to get achievements and trophies and I think it's weird.

Like, who cares how many platinum trophies someone has?

It's a pretty big e-penis for some.

By the way, I think Banjo (the N64 ports) and Sonic did quite well with achievements so far: They mostly give achievements for progress in the main game and give some extra awards for reasonable extra challenges, like solving all of the secret puzzle Bottles gives in Banjo-Kazooie or beating a certain time in a Sonic level (numours Sonic games).

That would fall under "tracking progress in rote or arbitrary ways".

Especially as those goals are motivators that already exist within the game (the game itself should be interesting enough to make you want to solve all of Bottles' secret puzzles). Having an achievement be a reward in these instances seems super pointless (it literally adds zero value to the core game from 1998) and would only be there to make your brain expect more achievements at another irregular interval.

More here.

KidB

I love the feeling when a trophy pops up but I never go for 100%. Games shouldn’t be a grind and the only trophies worth getting are the ones that enhance the experience.

Valahart

You are giving yourself the answer you need from the very title OP, here's the secret:

Don't go for achievements!

Wow, easy eh?

Wamb0wneD

A detailed stas page is where it's at. Achievements are for Eagle Scouts who are sad there are no badges left to get.

This lol. I once met someone who said he has grown out of Nintendo games and one reason for that was that they have no achievement system. I tried to tell him that that reasoning doesn't make any sense but he wouldn't listen.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I used to be a trophy whore, not the kind that would play a bad game just for a plat, but I would go out of my way if it was a game that I was even mildly interested in. I was at the point where I was not enjoying what I was playing.

Eventually I just became too busy and stopped caring, I like trophies as it keeps a record of what games I completed and when.

To start off, yes I play every game that I have to completion,unless it is not possible with discontinued things (ill get to that later).I cannot even remember the last time I had fun playing a video game.

The first game I have dug into is Yakuza 5. Last time I played it my save file was over 230 hours long and I am not even halfway to the platinum I would say, Every session I play of it is extremely boring repetitive trash, because I am going for all the trophies.

The next game is cuphead. Yeah, havent played this since launch because it was difficult and I wasnt proceeding till i got A ranks on every boss. Dont even know when I will get back to that. Although, I would much rather go play this than what im currently playing....

...motherfucking overwatch. I have never seen such an archaic achievement system in my life. How in the fuck are you going to have timed achievements that go away after a few weeks and can never be gotten again(the junkenstein ones are not obtainable from last year). Whats worst about this is that PS4 does not get timed trophies, in fact they only recently got the character trophies that xbox has gotten at each character launch. Why are they fucking over xbox users when xbox literally has a feature built in for this exact thing: CHALLENGES. Why is xbox getting these achievements when they are nowhere else? I have been playing this every night since it started trying to get them done to remain at 100%, it is misery.

I know there are bigger things to complain about, but fuck man. I have ruined video games for myself by being such an achievement/trophy whore. How the fuck do people break this addiction. I want off this ride.

Maybe get professional help.

Sillverrr

This is something I'll never comprehend. I take no notice of achievements within games, unless they are tied to in-game rewards/unlocks. Even then, I often resent having to obtain certain achievements - if they involve, to my mind, unnecessary grinding. Obvious example: unlocking flying in World of Warcraft in recent expansions. Ugh. Nothing about this experience is fun, and when that achievement pops up, I want to punch something, instead of feeling joy.

I play games across a multitude of platforms - as my trophies are not tied to one platform, it kills any small desire I might have to rack up the points. UNLESS, as I've said, I receive something I'm more interested in for my efforts. A good example in this day and age is Bayonetta - the unlocks within that game are all tied to your in-game performance. However, this represents something of a throwback, unfortunately, as we all know most cosmetic type DLC is separate, paid-for content nowadays.

I play games for a variety of reasons, but the gameplay/story is incentive enough for me to persevere. Anything else feels superfluous. Different strokes for different folks.

A detailed stas page is where it's at. Achievements are for Eagle Scouts who are sad there are no badges left to get.
I would have loved some system layer per-game stat page instead of achievements. Achievements are generic, they say you did a prescribed boring thing with no real nuance. Now stats, those can tell how you actually played a game, and how you did so better or worse or differently than someone else. That's something I'd actually find more personable and interesting.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That would fall under "tracking progress in rote or arbitrary ways".

Especially as those goals are motivators that already exist within the game (the game itself should be interesting enough to make you want to solve all of Bottles' secret puzzles). Having an achievement be a reward in these instances seems super pointless (it literally adds zero value to the core game from 1998) and would only be there to make your brain expect more achievements at another irregular interval.

More here.
Well, I prefer no achievements, but when compared to other games, where regularly some kind of dumb busy work is rewarded by achievements, I think this is preferrable. If you put a game on Xbox, you are required to have achievements, so not having them at all is not alternative. Do you know a better way of dealing with them than the described one?

Sentenza

I actually have fun getting achievements etc.
At least as long as they come by just progressing on the game and/or overcoming optional minor challenges.

When they start expecting me to play the game multiple times, to grind heavily and so on, then the reaction is typically "Yeah, fuck it" and not a single tear will be shed.

That said, I never once paid ANY attention to what achievements anyone in my friend list ever got... and I'm fully expecting the same goes for them in relation to me.

ZanDatsu

Doesn't seem like you're making an effort to break out of it, would be pretty sad if you end up associating a pleasure activity with frustration. Seems like a good way to burn out on gaming entirely.

mitx

I like trophies and sometimes I choose what to buy and play according to its trophy list (not saying that i don't play games with difficult or no platinums but when I see a game with and easy or fast platinum on sale, it definitively sways in its favor).

I don't even know why I care, because I don't compare my trophy list or level with other people. It's just a weird sense of pride i guess, but I sometimes it ruins the pleasure you get from playing a game.

In this sense, Nintendo Switch has been a breath of fresh air to me. I really like playing Zelda with a sense of adventure and discovery without having to worry if I am not getting some missable trophy.

Greedings

I love that Nintendo just does not give a shit about it.

I occasionally get the same compulsion as OP, and end up playing games I'm done with, or that I just don't like so much to get stupid, pointless trophies. I don't do it so much any more, but when I got a WiiU, it was so refreshing to just not have that compulsion.

I would like to get platinums for my favourite games, but there are so many games that have trophies far outside what I enjoyed about the game:
Example, Nioh. Brilliant game. Collecting bullshit? Fucking no thank you. I even tried, but it's so boring, so outside of what makes the game fun.

I just need to steer clear of trophies. It's for the best.

angelic

Banned
I'd be happy to see them gone, theyre so oversaturated now they mean nothing to me. Especially when they pop during an emotional cut scene like when you beat Last Guardian or something, doing their best to ruin the moment.

If i like the game enough and the trophies are fun challenges then sure.

But if you are getting upset over them, just forget about them.

I never understood the need to get achievements and trophies and I think it's weird.

Like, who cares how many platinum trophies someone has?

Same. It’s fotally meaningless to me personally. I’m not impressed by how many people have or which game they have them in. I think 99 percent of the time they are “busy work” for artifacially extending your time in game and often have little to no thought put in them. The MP versions of achievements/trophies are even worse because the conditions are entirely based on random chance. Halo’s MP achievements finally made me realize how meaningless they are.

I’m more impesssed by the amount of hours someone spends in game then how many achievements/trophies they’ve unlocked because it shows replay potentional to me in a non-inflated form.

AzureFlame

I love unlocking acheavments/trophies but not all of them are fun, esspecialy the online ones, just skip the annoying ones and enjoy your time.

SomTervo

To start off, yes I play every game that I have to completion,unless it is not possible with discontinued things (ill get to that later).I cannot even remember the last time I had fun playing a video game.

Don't you see the immediate logic here?

You've answered your own question/problem.

I play every game that I have to completion

=

I cannot even remember the last time I had fun playing a video game

If you enjoy a drink, though, I recommend having a couple of alcoholic drinks before your next play session. When I play videogames tipsy I give 0 fucks about playing 'properly' and tend to have, unsurprisingly, about a million times more fun.

Then try to harness that feeling when you play on other days. Wanton, careless fun. (Just don't make the drinking a habit!)

Mihos

Gold Member
Leave my trophies alone. I enjoy them, but I also know when to ignore them.. i.e. anything requiring multiplayer can be ignored

angelic

Banned
Leave my trophies alone. I enjoy them, but I also know when to ignore them.. i.e. anything requiring multiplayer can be ignored

Not to be unkind, you're perfectly entitled to enjoy them, but what do you actually get out of them? Literally no one in the world gives a shit about what you've earned, any bragging rights over them are long gone. I'm not being horrible, genuine question, why do you like them?

I have 62 Plats, and for a while I was like you. You just gotta stop caring, don't look up trophy lists before playing, only after beating the game. If you had a good time with it and want to try and 100%, do it! That's what I do now.

Greedings

Not to be unkind, you're perfectly entitled to enjoy them, but what do you actually get out of them? Literally no one in the world gives a shit about what you've earned, any bragging rights over them are long gone. I'm not being horrible, genuine question, why do you like them?

Can the guy just enjoy getting them? No one gives a shit if you beat a game either, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy beating it.

Bragging rights are nothing to do with trophies/achievements.

The first game I have dug into is Yakuza 5. Last time I played it my save file was over 230 hours long and I am not even halfway to the platinum I would say, Every session I play of it is extremely boring repetitive trash, because I am going for all the trophies.

The next game is cuphead. Yeah, havent played this since launch because it was difficult and I wasnt proceeding till i got A ranks on every boss. Dont even know when I will get back to that. Although, I would much rather go play this than what im currently playing....

...motherfucking overwatch. I have never seen such an archaic achievement system in my life. How in the fuck are you going to have timed achievements that go away after a few weeks and can never be gotten again(the junkenstein ones are not obtainable from last year). Whats worst about this is that PS4 does not get timed trophies, in fact they only recently got the character trophies that xbox has gotten at each character launch. Why are they fucking over xbox users when xbox literally has a feature built in for this exact thing: CHALLENGES. Why is xbox getting these achievements when they are nowhere else? I have been playing this every night since it started trying to get them done to remain at 100%, it is misery.

I used to be a 100% completionist. I even went so far as planning which games to play to land on 500,000 gamerscore, with exactly 500 games on my gamertag, with exactly 18,500 achievements, with 100% completion including DLC.

While I am still proud of the planning and dedication it took to attain that obsessive compulsive goal, I broke my addiction shortly into the 500k's by putting a game on my tag I knew I would never complete. It isnt unobtainable, per se, but like 2 or 3 people on TrueAchievements have finished it because it is broken as fuck. Havent touched it in like 2 years.

And you know what? Best decision I ever made. I was a slave to achievements, but moreso to 100% completion. I still complete most games I play, almost all of them really, but I dont play games just for score anymore. I only play games I LIKE, and that makes the achievements enjoyable.

Neverwinter just recently added an achievement that is a big fat "fuck you" to dedicated completionists. This single achievement takes 300+ hours to get, amd that is IF you power grind it buy spending about 20 milliom AD buying lures for hunts, AND gettinng some REALLY good RNG in the process. Most players dont even have 10% of that 20 million, let alone 300+ hours (can be triple that or more with bad RNG).

Thank god I said goodbye to obsessive completionism 2 years ago. That achievement was the easiest thing to say 'fuck off Neverwinter, and fuck off Perfect World for this achievement'.

I will get achievements in my games, but I wont play a game JUST for them and if they take the fun out of it (like Neverwinter), I can now walk away.

Do it OP. WALK. AWAY.

Pfff, just forget about those stupid things. You get nothing out of it.
Enjoy the games and stop playing them when they're not fun games anymore. No regrets.

Top Bottom