• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision directly responsible for $10 XBL price hike?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm not surprised that it was not a game "journalist" that deduced this. If it turns out to be true, I'm never buying Live again. I'll still buy non-PS3 exclusives for the Xbox as I like the platform better and the 360 has a better warranty than the PS3, but I could care less about multiplayer. The only reason I subscribe to Live is for Netflix and the sales really and I've never paid more than $30 for a year. If it turns out that MS expects me to pay an extra $10 for a game that I've never played and never intend to buy, yeah, don't think so.

Ploid 3.0

I'm not surprised that it was not a game "journalist" that deduced this.

Game journalists are so worthless. And they are afraid to piss off possible game company sponsors, or they seem to think they will get blacklisted if they kick. I think they'd get more free stuff if they were very much like real journalists since the companies would try to bribe them.

Sean

Banned
Branduil said:
I think Microsoft deserves the lion's share of the blame here. No one forced them to capitulate to Activision on this.

You underestimate the leverage that Activision has here. Incredibly, there are FOUR Call of Duty games in the Xbox Live Top 10.

Microsoft can't simply tell them to fuck off. Just like they had to accomodate EA's demands in 2004, they've gotta bend over for Activision now too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Great work, OP.

Fuck you, Activision, and fuck you, MS.

Rad-

Makes sense actually. Get part of the annual fee, give exclusive DLC and marketing rights in return. And I wouldn't be shocked if CoD PS3 ports being bad is part of this deal.

dolemite

My suspicion is when Activision will introduce the CoD fee, it will be "free" for Live users but the PSN users will have to crack open the wallet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dolemite said:
My suspicion is when Activision will introduce the CoD fee, it will be "free" for Live users but the PSN users will have to crack open the wallet.

You know what, that wouldn't surprise me at all. And, I wouldn't buy future CoD's (as if I'm buying them anyway) because of it.

I am actually rather glad to have stuck my copy of black ops on ebay last night, I gave up on the game last week after so much bullshit netcode ruins nearly everything you do in a fast twitch shooter, I my as well make my money back selling it.

MaddenNFL64

I'm in too deep with the 360. A 10 dollar hike makes me hate all companies involved just that much more, but they'll get their fucking money.

Not CoD though. MW2 is the last one. Not that I particularly cared about the franchise anyway.

Jex

Sean said:
You underestimate the leverage that Activision has here. Incredibly, there are FOUR Call of Duty games in the Xbox Live Top 10.

Microsoft can't simply tell them to fuck off. Just like they had to accomodate EA's demands in 2004, they've gotta bend over for Activision now too.
That's all true, but what kind of threat could they make? They'll go PS3 only? And loose out on millions of sales? Unlikely.

Although they undoubtedly have a serious pull.

baylon452

Neo Member
This is interesting indeed. Wonder how EA (and anyone else for that matter) feels about this, where their sports titles are always in the top played online. I mean, I know some people who only pay for gold just to play fifa online.

Ondore

Kudos to Nuclear Muffin for connecting these dots. Something smelled fishy about the whole increase from the beginning, and even the appearance of impropriety is impropriety...

Raoh

Branduil said:
We wouldn't have this problem if people weren't willing to pay for online gaming in the first place.

This.

There really should be no conversation to be had past this point. People should feel ashamed of themselves really. Especially when there are choices other than paying.

Diablohead said:
I am actually rather glad to have stuck my copy of black ops on ebay last night, I gave up on the game last week after so much bullshit netcode ruins nearly everything you do in a fast twitch shooter, I my as well make my money back selling it.
Good idea. I actually did that after one day, and I kind of made a little bit of profit if you figure in the $20 GC from Amazon.

DonMigs85

ithorien said:
Yes and yes. This is unbelievable if it's true. Just further proves how big of a piece of shit Kotick is.
Unless you're an Activision shareholder, of course. Greed is good!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kind of sad that games journalists either wouldn't make this connection or wouldn't talk about it if they did. They are too dependent on companies like Microsoft and Activision for the content that drives people to their sites, so they don't want to rock the boat. I hope somebody proves me wrong and actually starts asking some questions.

You know, it would be nice if there were a gaming website somewhere that used subscription fees as an income source so it had a bit more freedom...

luxarific said:
I'm not surprised that it was not a game "journalist" that deduced this. If it turns out to be true, I'm never buying Live again. I'll still buy non-PS3 exclusives for the Xbox as I like the platform better and the 360 has a better warranty than the PS3, but I could care less about multiplayer. The only reason I subscribe to Live is for Netflix and the sales really and I've never paid more than $30 for a year. If it turns out that MS expects me to pay an extra $10 for a game that I've never played and never intend to buy, yeah, don't think so.

I'm curious, how've you managed to do that? I just renewed by subscription today buying the one year subscription from amazon for $40

but $30? thats, great.

@ OP good job, I wonder how long it'll take kotaku to steal it.

sikkinixx

OP needs a game 'journalist' job stat. Bravo sir, even if it isn't true, for putting together some well done sniffing around.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
diztrukted said:
I'm curious, how've you managed to do that? I just renewed by subscription today buying the one year subscription from amazon for $40

but $30? thats, great.

@ OP good job, I wonder how long it'll take kotaku to steal it.

There was a sale about a year ago. I picked up two 13 month cards then.

jmdajr

Raoh said:
This.

There really should be no conversation to be had past this point. People should feel ashamed of themselves really. Especially when there are choices other than paying.

Oh fuck off with that crap. No one should feel guilty of anything.

No_Style

So the $10 hike for the U.S market is enough to keep Activision happy? I know the U.S. is a huge market, but is that enough? Wouldn't they be happier with charging for COD MP across all market and all platforms?

If this hike was across all the markets, I can see this theory working out. As is? Not so much.

TheOddOne

No_Style said:
So the $10 hike for the U.S market is enough to keep Activision happy? I know the U.S. is a huge market, but is that enough? Wouldn't they be happier with charging for COD MP across all market and all platforms?

If this hike was across all the markets, I can see this theory working out. As is? Not so much.
Its always been 60 euro's in the Netherlands.

I usually buy a 13 months for like 20-30 euro's.

mj1108

No_Style said:

$10 x the number of gold subscriptions = $$$$$$$$$$ What makes this sweeter for Activision is that they're making money off of all the people NOT playing CoD. Even though the price hike just went into effect, does anyone know about how many Gold members there are potentially now?

Ironically I nearly bought a renewal card last night for my XBL subscription... kind of glad I didn't end up doing it now, if this is all indeed true.

MaddenNFL64

mj1108 said:
$10 x the number of gold subscriptions = $$$$$$$$$$ What makes this sweeter for Activision is that they're making money off of all the people NOT playing CoD.

Ya, that shit really gets you pissed. I don't fucking play CoD anymore. Just fucking make them pay you directly. Most of them would.

Why do people assume this:

“We don’t really participate financially in that income stream."

means that they got absolutely nothing before. You can interpret "don't really participate" as being "we don't get much," which is the same as what he said later.

And lol at the idea that Acti would get all 10 dollars of the increase and/or the concept that they are the only third-party publisher who would get a piece.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
alr1ghtstart said:
So how long before some videogame "journalist" borrows this story?

I'm expecting Kotaku to shamelessly put up an article within the next 24 hours that reads as though they did their own research.

Baha

And this is why I stopped visiting gaming news sites a long time ago. Pertinent gaming news gets posted on GAF pretty quickly and every once in awhile, we get Detective GAF doing all the legwork that most gaming journalists aren't even capable of doing.

I wonder how long until this is posted on Kotaku.

Interesting if indeed true. I'm just about done with XBLive myself. I have it paid for a year or two at about $30 a pop so I'm not really worried about the price hike. But I'm not paying for CoD bullshit, let the people that play CoD pay for that.

Plus, in the last couple months my reason for playing on it (RL friends) has dwindled with families, moves, game selection and such. So I rarely play online as it is.

mj1108

http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/07/08/activision-wants-cut-from-xbox-live-subscription/

Here's another quote from an article called: Activision wants cut from Xbox Live subscription from July 8, 2010

It appears Activision’s Bobby Kotick feels that his company deserves a piece of the pie from Microsoft. Kotick has indicated that his company wants a cut from the subscription revenue. Kotick stated, “We’re driving a lot of the subscription interest and certainly hours of game play.

If true, and that is a tremendous if, then it's just another addition to the list of reasons why I don't give my business to Microsoft any longer. I won't be screwed out of a few extra dollars for a game I'm not even playing.

MaddenNFL64

Baha said:
And this is why I stopped visiting gaming news sites a long time ago. Pertinent gaming news gets posted on GAF pretty quickly and every once in awhile, we get Detective GAF doing all the legwork that most gaming journalists aren't even capable of doing.

What are they really though, gaming journalists, I mean.

Are they supposed to be consumer advocates? Looking into the industry, and finding out the inside story of what back room deals are being made that may affect our wallets, maybe even breaking a story that may get people fired from these companies?

Or are they just part of the industry itself, a cog in the machine, used to advertise, and critique their product, but never delve into the finer details as to mess up their relationships with them?

mj1108

MaddenNFL64 said:
What are they really though, gaming journalists, I mean.

Are they supposed to be consumer advocates? Looking into the industry, and finding out the inside story of what back room deals are being made that may affect our wallets, maybe even breaking a story that may get people fired from these companies?

Or are they just part of the industry itself, a cog in the machine, used to advertise, and critique their product, but never delve into the finer details as to mess up their relationships with them?

They're looking out for their jobs first and foremost and their jobs depend on advertising revenue....so you won't see anything hardhitting on any developers/publishers in fear of pissing them off and dropping their ad revenue stream/access to early builds/early review copies, etc...

Then again, it's been said that even a bad review can tarnish a relationship.

MaddenNFL64

teruterubozu said:
Activision, Microsoft, game journalists, Kotaku....
Who else should we throw in the fire? :lol

Kotaku is blog. An aggregate site. No one should have a beef with them as long as they give credit to whoever they got their media, or stories from.

And gaming journalists, well like I said, I don't know what the fuck they are. I don't think finding this shit out is part of their job description.

MS & Activision. Yes, fuck them.

Reading the OP, I ask myself what Microsoft would get - other than negative press coverage - from raising the subscription fee. It is their service and it is their platform at the end of the day, it's not like Kotick has any say in LIVE policy-making, so why would Microsoft play ball with this? This is why I doubt Activision had a direct role in triggering the increase. It must have been decided in Redmond, and Activision got wind of the news and negotiated something in part-exchange (e.g. DLC exclusivity and marketing primarily for the 360).

Top Bottom