• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

Can they just shove these parts into a box, and start selling the PS4, and have a manual on how to construct your PS4...

I need next-gen consoles!

Durante

IIRC it's because their architecture is more efficient and less power hungry than Nvidia's counterparts, at least they were when I got my last card.
That's no longer true, but it was true when they would have had these design wins. But only in GPUs, not CPUs.

Zophar

Sony overpowering again. *sigh* I was hoping they would do something different. I hope this isn't true.

I thought we were complaining that this generation's consoles hit their limits prematurely and haven't been powerful enough to keep up relative to past cycles?

Almost every 'rumour' (as in, coming from the developers with devkit access, so not really a rumour) has matched what this post described. Steamroller CPU, ~1.7-1.8GFlop GPU, 2GB of unified RAM. That's almost assuredly what the devkit is right now, or was a few months ago.

No, I really doubt that.

If your saying that's for the discrete gpu, as long as they bump up the ram to 4, I'm satisfied.

USC-fan

Banned
Even if we ignore the cost (five hundred and ninety nine US dollars) , this GPU has a 230 W TDP... That would be fun on a console.

For reference, the whole PS3 used about 200 W back at launch.

Yes the retail system. This could be dev kit hardware. The ps3 dev had sli nvidia cards[6800 ultras] in the early dev kits. tpd of these gpus are over that....

That's no longer true, but it was true when they would have had these design wins. But only in GPUs, not CPUs.

Well, yeah. The HD 6000 series was far more efficient than Nvidia's counterparts... Which is what I'm going to guess will be in the next generation of consoles.

As for AMD CPU's: LOL.

The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS, this is code-named "Tahiti." This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970, both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors.

Tahiti is over 3 teraflops, so this rumor isn't internally consistent. Link here http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/15/...cs-leak-out-3-5-tflops-3gb-on-board-memory-3w

I suppose it's possible this rumor has truth too it, and the site just got the name of the gpu wrong, but it is a 1.8 teraflop GPU.

Because I had heard the PS4 had a better GPU but less RAM than Durango, and that Durango had a 1-1.5 TF GPU. So all that fits, for whatever tiny bit it's worth, which isn't much.

It's all likely too much for a SOC too. Most likely it's just balony.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
a 7970 bolted on to a 3.2 ghz quad core as part of an apu?

you know why you'd only be getting less than half the 3.8 tflops you'd expect from a 7970? because it would be on fire.

the source also states that ps4 was going to be a announced at e3 until the gpu threw a last minute spanner in the works (which was the only reason for the underwhelming conference, duhhhh).

sonyfriend fanfiction. good for a quick tug but don't propose to it or anything.

v1oz

Sony overpowering again. *sigh* I was hoping they would do something different. I hope this isn't true.

No the real issue here is abandoning CELL. When for years we were being told CELL was the future of all things. And that CELL would be in everything from televisions to toasters.

Durante

Would make no sense to take a 7970 or something then basically remove half of its performance.
Depending on the situation, it could make sense. With a console you're not limited to off-the-shelf parts. You can customize the desired feature set, performance, cost and thermal envelope.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Indeed. For it to be a tahiti based gpu in that range it would have to be a 7850 likely.
1843GFlop makes it a somewhat more than 7850 but much less than 7870, which is 2500GFl.

And going with Steamroller for the CPU would be pretty odd. AMD has all but admitted defeat in CPU for the high end
CPU may not be such a huge deal, it's not like the machine will be used for scientific computations or offline rendering. Even for those things, programmable GPUs are usually better option now anyway.

you know why you'd only be getting less than half the 3.8 tflops you'd expect from a 7970?
Because that's not what was written in the first place. It doesn't say that it's 7970 in there.

Man

I thought we were complaining that this generation's consoles hit their limits prematurely and haven't been powerful enough to keep up relative to past cycles?
I have never been as impressed with end-generation content like I am with Last of Us and GOW4. We are reaching a certain level of visuals now where it's all purely budget.

PS4/X720 will do Final Fantasy movie like graphics. Not the actual ray-tracing craziness or individual strains of hair per skin-cell but it will achieve the overall visual impact in hand of good developers.

USC-fan

Banned
Well, yeah. The HD 6000 series was far more efficient than Nvidia's counterparts... Which is what I'm going to guess will be in the next generation of consoles.

As for AMD CPU's: LOL.

Why are you "LOL"?

The amd apu's kick Intels ass in gfx performance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
come man, who is the source?
Rumor with these specs has been fairly persistent the last month or two, and source are developers who want to remain anonymous. Unless everyone's lying about everything (this and new Xbox specs) it seems fairly believable.

jett

D-Member
7970 seems crazy...or does it? PS3's RSX was based on the Nvidia 7800(with some features at a lower spec), which 18 months before the PS3 launch was top of the line, unless I'm mistaken. So if the PS4 ends up launching in late 2013 it's virtually the same situation.

No the real issue here is abandoning CELL. When for years we were being told CELL was the future of all things. And that CELL would be in everything from televisions to toasters.

Most likely no Cell in PS4 is a done deal and has been so for a long time. It's a pretty dead chip.

Plus you can be sure next time Sony doesnt want to be difficult to program for again.

Only message board noobs think there's any chance of Cell in PS4.

Durante

7970 seems crazy...or does it? PS3's RSX was based on the Nvidia 7800(with some features at a lower spec), which 18 months before the PS3 launch was top of the line, unless I'm mistaken. So if the PS4 ends up launching in late 2013 it's virtually the same situation.
That's actually true. Something to consider at least. However, back then die shrinks were still more reliable, and high-end GPUs used less power. It's more likely that this is really just a 1.8 TFlop GPU, so ~ 1/2 of a 7970.

1-D_FTW

a 7970 bolted on to a 3.2 ghz quad core as part of an apu?

you know why you'd only be getting less than half the 3.8 tflops you'd expect from a 7970? because it would be on fire.

the source also states that ps4 was going to be a announced at e3 until the gpu threw a last minute spanner in the works (which was the only reason for the underwhelming conference, duhhhh).

sonyfriend fanfiction. good for a quick tug but don't propose to it or anything.

Thanks for the laughs.

Everything is correct. They just used the wrong name for the GPU. It's comparable to an underclocked Pitcairn.

So if PS4 had a 1.8 TF GPU but 2GB RAM, presumably GDDR5. Durango as rumored had a 1-1.5 TF GPU and 8GB RAM, albeit slower DDR3, that would be well, pretty interesting how it would turn out in practice and which would have better looking games.

I'm guessing third parties wouldn't love the massive RAM disparity there for porting.

Sounds like $599.95 to me. Man, I hope they make something affordable, between them or MS. We thinking about only 2 consoles this gen......

Thats all that matter. this is a gaming console after all.

So how do you suppose the raw number crunching and mathematics behind enemy AI, physics, lights, etc is going to be done? You could have a Radeon HD 7970 but if you pair it with an Intel Core 2 Duo, your bottle neck is always going to be the processor.

Also that's partially why the Cell processor in the PS3 is so successful, especially when you off load a lot of the number crunching from the GPU to the CPU.

So if PS4 had a 1.8 TF GPU but 2GB RAM, presumably GDDR5. Durango as rumored had a 1-1.5 TF GPU and 8GB RAM, albeit slower DDR3, that would be well, pretty interesting how it would turn out in practice and which would have better looking games.

I'm guessing third parties wouldn't love the massive RAM disparity there for porting.

umm what? Where did you hear this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom