• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a better gif of Sitterson and Hadley dancing? The timing on this one is off.

tumblr_m8hs0qUnGm1r8gsqgo1_500.gif

These two really make this movie for me though. Even watching their behind the scenes had me cracking up. Great chemistry.

GSR

Saw it last night in a theater full of college students. We were all on the same wavelength so it was an awesome experience, everyone was cracking up throughout. Wonderfully entertaining film if you've got the right mindset.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The wiki of this movie sugests that the :

Shell : Merman
Dress : Bride (only seen on the board)
Film : Werewolf
Cube : Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain
Music Box : Ballerina
Notebook : The Buckner Family

the werewolf is summoned by the film? Wouldn't it make more sense for the doctors to be summoned by it?

Platy

the werewolf is summoned by the film? Wouldn't it make more sense for the doctors to be summoned by it?

The actual wiki quote is

"From a reel of film that Marty finds in the basement of the cabin with a projector, with images of werewolves on the frames, it suggests that playing the film would have summoned the werewolf."

Probably they can be seen better with a blu ray of the movie ...

Platy

Sorry by the double post, but LionsGate youtube channel uploaded lots of Bonus content .. probably the ones you find in the dvd/blu ray

The amount of spoiler changes by each video ... but you all that I saw had one in a way or another

"Writing the Script"
"Keeping it Real"
"Bradley and Richard's Tour"
"Marty-Cam"
"The Black Room"
"Time Lapse Monster Makeup"
"Populating
With Monsters"
< this one is awesome !
"Crowbar Trick"
"Death by
Merman"
"Merman
BlowHole"
"Anna's
Death Scene"

Parallax

Killer Tom Hanks? Or maybe his son who played the killer from Dexter Season 6 XD

Killer tom hanks seems to be the go to answer with the people I've seen this with. That would be awesome.

The monster box scene is awesome. Especially for the 50 foot woman.

Uncle

Sorry by the double post, but LionsGate youtube channel uploaded lots of Bonus content .. probably the ones you find in the dvd/blu ray

The amount of spoiler changes by each video ... but you all that I saw had one in a way or another

"Writing the Script"
"Keeping it Real"
"Bradley and Richard's Tour"
"Marty-Cam"
"The Black Room"
"Time Lapse Monster Makeup"
"Populating
With Monsters"
< this one is awesome !
"Crowbar Trick"
"Death by
Merman"
"Merman
BlowHole"
"Anna's
Death Scene"

Thanks! My blu-ray had no extras.

Melchiah

Colin Hanks' character's first scene in Dexter season 6 episode 1 is killing somebody. There's a killer every season on Dexter. It's not a spoiler.

Don't read if you haven't watched the 6th season.
It is a spoiler, as towards the end of the season it's revealed that he's actually the killer. Up until that point, Edward James Olmos was portrayed as the killer, and Colin Hanks his unwilling apprentice.

big ander

Don't read if you haven't watched the 6th season.
It is a spoiler, as towards the end of the season it's revealed that he's actually the killer. Up until that point, Edward James Olmos was portrayed as the killer, and Colin Hanks his unwilling apprentice.
(Dexter season 6)
If I remember correctly, Travis kills the first person. The fruit vendor. He does it because Olmos tells him to, and he never seems happy about it, but he does it. He's a killer from the beginning. I don't think anyone is going to infer the twist that Olmos doesn't exist just from saying that Hanks' character is a killer

Melchiah

(Dexter season 6)
If I remember correctly, Travis kills the first person. The fruit vendor. He does it because Olmos tells him to, and he never seems happy about it, but he does it. He's a killer from the beginning. I don't think anyone is going to infer the twist that Olmos doesn't exist just from saying that Hanks' character is a killer

Perhaps it doesn't reveal it, but in retrospect it certainly implies so. As for the twist itself, it was kinda predictable.

Anyone have a better gif of Sitterson and Hadley dancing? The timing on this one is off.

tumblr_m8hs0qUnGm1r8gsqgo1_500.gif

These two really make this movie for me though. Even watching their behind the scenes had me cracking up. Great chemistry.

I spent far too long trying to make this:
iXhUg1p9yjAJL.gif

Huge file though but whatever, I'm a gif noob so it'll probably take me another hour just to get the file size right.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
finally got around to watching this yesterday great movie my only thing is
how do they recatch the monsters after theyve unleashed them they didnt seem to have any control over them so a monster like the wraith would be able to say fuck this im out and just phase through the tunnel and leave
god i hope they make some prequels to this movie

So is there going to be another home release of this? A special edition? There's fuck-all as far as bonus features go even on the Blu-Ray, and I recall in interviews and in the Art Of book they mention several deleted scenes that they intended to put on the DVD.
Specifically Kevin and a longer scene with the Angry Rape Tree.
So WTF? First no DVD + Blu-Ray combo pack, now no special features.

And wasn't there a 3D version that popped up on Amazon at one point?

I love the movie to death and I will gladly rebuy a special edition but if there isn't one and we never get the additional scenes I'm going to be really pissed.

Edit:

But someone was able to alter the systems so the tunnel wouldn't explode as well, and someone altered the chemicals in his pot, etc...

It seemed like someone with a great deal of power was actively trying to ensure failure..
Someone already pointed out the thing about the pot, but for everyone that has been confused about the tunnel: they explicitly state in the commentary (I'm watching now) that Marty tinkering with the wiring is what kept the tunnel from blowing. They also explicitly state that the earthquake after they crack the offering for the Fool is because the Gods are pissed.

Just in case there's any more confusion.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My favorite
monster cameo has to be the cattle-skull creature from Time Bandits, near the upper-left of the reveal.

They also, in the commentary, explicitly make fun of the Purge button - for all of you who thought it was just too convoluted to exist. They were aware of that, it's part of the joke.

Really pissed that they talk about alternate scenes and things that were cut on the commentary that are nowhere to be found on the DVD.

:mad:

Struct09

Before tonight, I knew nothing about this movie except that it was a horror movie and Whedon was involved. Watched it tonight and was blown away. Best horror movie I've seen in a long time.

ektoll

Killer tom hanks seems to be the go to answer with the people I've seen this with. That would be awesome.

The monster box scene is awesome. Especially for the 50 foot woman.

Haha, that was my reaction too! I now know what monster I would have chosen.

Rarity

I really liked the last 25 minutes or so. Though, for the first part of the movie, I wish they'd gone with a different threat.

Questions:

Why were the facility workers freaking out about the tunnel not caving in? As the canyon jump proved, there's some sorta magical forcefield keeping the kids trapped anyways.

And

I'd imagine the sacrificing rituals have evolved over time (I think someone mentions that it's no longer just throwing a girl into a volcano). As such, why wouldn't the gods be pleased by the end result of the massacre? Surely, there was someone who fit the "Fool" role among them; it's not like it needed to be Marty dying. The Director straightforwardly says they work with what they have, so it doesn't seem to be all that strict.

Mr_Zombie

Why were the facility workers freaking out about the tunnel not caving in? As the canyon jump proved, there's some sorta magical forcefield keeping the kids trapped anyways.

About tunnel:
The force field was around the tunnel. When teenagers were going through the tunnel for the first time, when they were going to the cabin, you can see that even though they went through the tunnel without a problem, a random bird was killed by the forcefield outside the tunnel.

I really liked the last 25 minutes or so. Though, for the first part of the movie, I wish they'd gone with a different threat.

Questions:

And

I'd imagine the sacrificing rituals have evolved over time (I think someone mentions that it's no longer just throwing a girl into a volcano). As such, why wouldn't the gods be pleased by the end result of the massacre? Surely, there was someone who fit the "Fool" role among them; it's not like it needed to be Marty dying. The Director straightforwardly says they work with what they have, so it doesn't seem to be all that strict.
The movie is satire on the current [well, current 4 years ago when they made it] state of horror movies. Going with a different threat would have ruined that.

As for your second question - exactly, they work with what they have. They had five kids who didn't fit the roles; a smart athlete, a clever fool, a virgin that wasn't, etc. They couldn't kill the athlete and then say, "Well, he was stupid, so actually he's the fool." They worked with what they had and used tricks to turn them into their archetypes.

Parallax

Questions:

And

For the tunnel
it seems that the forcefield doesn't extend to the cave. The forcefield was up to prevent things from getting in and out, with that cave being the only way out. They escape, and the world ends.

As for the ritual
the key component is youth. All the deaths mean nothing if they aren't young. If the intern had died however

iammeiam

As for your second question - exactly, they work with what they have. They had five kids who didn't fit the roles; a smart athlete, a clever fool, a virgin that wasn't, etc. They couldn't kill the athlete and then say, "Well, he was stupid, so actually he's the fool." They worked with what they had and used tricks to turn them into their archetypes.

I figured it had more to do with
the slaughter following the purge not being a sacrifice. The gods basically get appeased every year by humanity turning on itself and offering up lives just to keep the gods happy. The year the movie covers, humanity fucks up and can't manage to actually successfully sacrifice a batch. A bunch of people die, but they die because two kids are trying to save their own lives, not as a tribute to the old gods. And, at the very end, the kids decide not to turn on each other in the name of making the gods feel happy and important.

I really wish this movie had been a bigger deal; I'd love some short web episodes showing previous years.

I figured it had more to do with
the slaughter following the purge not being a sacrifice. The gods basically get appeased every year by humanity turning on itself and offering up lives just to keep the gods happy. The year the movie covers, humanity fucks up and can't manage to actually successfully sacrifice a batch. A bunch of people die, but they die because two kids are trying to save their own lives, not as a tribute to the old gods. And, at the very end, the kids decide not to turn on each other in the name of making the gods feel happy and important.

I really wish this movie had been a bigger deal; I'd love some short web episodes showing previous years.

Well remember, suffering is required. And the kids have to bring it on themselves. They even say that's why they can't just kill the kids themselves or "force" the outcome too much. It has to be kids (youth) and it has to be their own doing. The slaughter from the last part of the movie has nothing to do with the ritual to appease the gods which is why all the death didn't matter. It also has nothing to do with humanity turning on itself, not sure where that idea came from.

I really went into this movie with the wrong state of mind expecting to be scared, I still liked it, didn't think it was near the praise it was getting though.

LakeEarth

But someone was able to alter the systems so the tunnel wouldn't explode as well, and someone altered the chemicals in his pot, etc...

It seemed like someone with a great deal of power was actively trying to ensure failure..
I wanted to believe this, but the commentary track seals that it isn't true.

Dead Man

Finally got around to watching it. A fun film, with an interesting premise. I think it either needed to be more serious or more silly. Seemed to not quite work for me with the actual plot. But fun none the less.

I'm sure all this has been discussed any length, but this is not really a horror movie, right? So I'm really surprised at the word of mouth calling it such. It's a comedic action-adventure.

Jangocube

Banned
Finally saw this movie after reading a lot of positive reviews and............. what the cheesy hell did I just watch?

I get the premise, but the characters sucked outside of the stoner, the pacing was mediocre, and I have no clue why this is labeled horror(you know, scary stuff is supposed to happen). Extremely disappointed in what I thought was going to be a very interesting movie, at least from reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom