• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

So, do you all recommend JUST playing the main line quests and not the side quests?

So far I'm level 25 (almost 26) and haven't touched a single story quest except for the very first one that you're forced to do. There's a ton of side quest content to enjoy. They're not all winners, but there's a lot to have fun with even if you only focus on side quests.

One funny thing I noticed last night - a Boggart running around and chasing a buttefly. It was totally random and I would have normally overlooked it, but it's that kind of detail that I really appreciate in a game like this.

Rad Agast

Mmmm,ok,I got the Gnash quest now,i'll go and try him when I reach level 14 and see how that goes,I didn't have any problems so far in the game,except that Ballads quest...got some good chackrams and all...maybe my Robe sucks...also I don't roll anymore,I kinda teleport around,I liked rolling better even though it's a little slower lol.

Blinking (teleport evade) is better than rolling since it allows you to evade through enemies and objects. Once you get it leveled up to Ice Blink you start adding freezing effect to the mix. Just take a couple of seconds to get used to the timing of using it for evasion and attack cancelling.

As for Gnash and your Robes, I don't craft any armor and just use what the game drops for me. I'm very fragile as a pure sorcerer (can be one hit killed if I'm not looking at the screen) but the game provides you with more than enough options to deal with pretty much any situation. If you think a fight is too hard, don't be shy to use Reckoning mode.

Remember that last boss fight you mentioned earlier? I used Reckoning right at the start, got rid of all the sprites very early and just had to fight the main guy on his own after Reckoning mode was over. Yes, it can be tricky to evade spell attacks when you're still not used to them so in that case just sprint around in circle till they finish casting then attack them.

Can someone tell me how many backpacks are in the game and where I can get them? My inventory limit is 100 at the moment and it's full, well almost, I have room for 5 more items :(

Just got to Klurikon, this place is pretty cool :D Also nice being able to get killed again.

At least until I outlevel this area, the challenge is pretty good with about 350HP and 700 defence.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pretty much all the abilities seem useless. The knives/magic thing for finnesse does terrible damage and nowhere near as useful as the charged arrows shot. The dash behind's attack does garbage damage.

The abilities do not scale well at all. It turns into Dynasty Warriors very quickly because it's the most effective to just hammer it on. Even the mastery stuff is mostly useless for Finesse.

What? 5 attacks, that when it hits critical (and when you do finesse you will do critical lots and lots of times) can do around 700-900 damage each is terrible damage? And each of them can cause bleeding damage to boot?

And if you are using the lunge attack for damage then you're doing it wrong. It's basically an extra evasive move and a way to extend your combo while simultaneously evading damage from enemy's retaliating frontal attack.

scy

Can someone tell me how many backpacks are in the game and where I can get them? My inventory limit is 100 at the moment and it's full, well almost, I have room for 5 more items :(

There are
5 in total (120 total slots). Gorhart, Ysa, Rathir, Adessa, and Mel Senshir

Muskweeto

Those freaking plants that snap at you are going to give me a heart attack.

After I haven't seen one for a while I forget about them, then BAM! I jump three feet.

It doesn't help that I play about four feet away from my 40" TV.

So I'm feeling a bit sick of skyrim, and I'm wanting something that I might enjoy ins similar way.... I'm pretty sure this is that game because the combat being fun seems just about exactly all I need, but just wondering if any other skyrim nuts would recommend this game?

I should probably just jump into the demo and try it out for myself ay.

Rokam

Those freaking plants that snap at you are going to give me a heart attack.

After I haven't seen one for a while I forget about them, then BAM! I jump three feet.

It doesn't help that I play about four feet away from my 40" TV.

Yup, scared the shit out of me the first time I encountered them. Once I was able to track traps on my minimap I didn't fall for their shenanigans anymore.

gehrig38

So I'm feeling a bit sick of skyrim, and I'm wanting something that I might enjoy ins similar way.... I'm pretty sure this is that game because the combat being fun seems just about exactly all I need, but just wondering if any other skyrim nuts would recommend this game?

I should probably just jump into the demo and try it out for myself ay.

If an RPG with VERY different combat is what you're after you won't be disappointed. Actually you're in a pretty decent spot given that the game guide just came out, if that's your thing I'd recommend grabbing the guide given how awesome FuturePress ended up delivering on it. Can't wait to get home and see the thing.

I'm starting to get a little bored and a little frustrated with this. The boredom is coming from the fact that the quests are all starting to bleed together (and I've barely gotten started on some of the major faction quests). Lots of go here, fetch this or go there, kill that and there's occasionally a dungeon involved. So far the only quest I really enjoyed doing was part of the main storyline out of Didenhill, where you
get to go in the fortress through either the front or the back, and I chose back and got to sneak through and stealth kill a bunch of enemies, along with letting some barghests free and have them rampage through the dungeon attacking and distracting enemies while I snuck around and looted.
Other than that, none of the quests or dungeon designs have really jumped out at me.

I'm currently stuck at Gnash, where basically if I get hit once I die which isn't particularly fun, especially since everything I have does elemental damage so it's taking me twice as long to do any damage. Plus, I haven't really gotten used to when I can and can't dash out of combo moves, and a lot of times I'll throw out my chakrams and instead of being able to dodge away from a big swing, I just stand there like an idiot waiting for the chakrams to come back. Meanwhile the troll is pounding the hell out of me. Also the larger enemies have that same tendency I saw in Dark Souls where they'll wind up their attack facing one way, but if you dodge a milisecond too soon they can do a 180 and finish their attack facing a completely different way and hit you, and that's kind of annoying.

I want to like it, but I feel like it's very similar to Skyrim in a lot of ways and I think I'm going to burn out on this a lot quicker since I haven't fully recovered from Skyim. That's not really the game's fault, but I think like Skyrim this suffers from just too much to do. The combat is different enough and enjoyable when I'm not getting smacked around by large enemies, but the questing is very similar and so far none of the story/characters have really made me care about anything in the world. I mean, I don't even listen to the Lorestones when I activate them, I just hit them for the XP then keep going on.

no angel

Just reached the part with that Tresh surrounded by boggarts but I did not know that I could not use Reckoning while being cursed. I was screwed to say the least.

Wha? I just did this quest and had no problem entering reckoning, the only curses I had were random chances for ice, lightning or fire damage on hitting an enemy. Powered through the quest no problem although Im not used to having to use so many Heath potions!

Damn this games long though, I'm starting to worry I might get burnt out before it finishes. Especially with my OCD forcing me to complete all the side quests I find!

I found an area that's impossible to get to:

Just south of Tirin

SHZxn.jpg

The map clearly shows an explorable area but this...

qs5Sw.jpg

... is blocking the path. It's not a hidden door, no prompt or text of any kind comes up.

There's also a similar looking stone on the eastern wall of the forsaken plains that looks like it should lead to a cave, and another in Webwood or Haxi that has a grate behind it you can see if you get the camera positioned right.

Hmmmm...

I'm also hoping that the DLC will have enemies 4 levels higher than me and a good number of persuasion options because those are the only two trophies I need and I don't want to start another playthrough.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So while I'm having fun, this game suffers from the same thing every game in this genre suffers - piling on the most random sidequests when I'm supposed to be "saving the world". Why don't game designers just throw out the "main story" or simply blend it in with the rest of the world. If you want to do it great, if not, great, either way I won't feel weird for stopping to help this cursed wolf when I should be off to war.

I understand I don't have to do anything or can save it for after the game is finished, but realistically who plays a game like that? Stack content over here for later that will be obsolete/meaningless by then. It's not an immersion or roleplaying thing for me, but it's the same thing that turned me off from Oblivion way back when. There are portals opening with demons flooding to destroy the world, but I can ignore them for 90 hours and be a vampire. Alright. So why even have portals, just give me an open world to play around in!

Anyway, this game is great to play and that's all that matters in the end. I just wonder how real fans of this genre put up with that stuff game after game.

To the above poster, you can definitely get the 4 lvls above you trophy in 15 mins if you start a new game. Just rush through the starting area, get to the first town, lockpick into the jail, and let loose then kill a prisoner. Persuasions..yeah..I'm already keeping tracking of mine. 5 hours in and already have 6 done.

Rad Agast

I'm currently stuck at Gnash, where basically if I get hit once I die which isn't particularly fun, especially since everything I have does elemental damage so it's taking me twice as long to do any damage. Plus, I haven't really gotten used to when I can and can't dash out of combo moves, and a lot of times I'll throw out my chakrams and instead of being able to dodge away from a big swing, I just stand there like an idiot waiting for the chakrams to come back. Meanwhile the troll is pounding the hell out of me. Also the larger enemies have that same tendency I saw in Dark Souls where they'll wind up their attack facing one way, but if you dodge a milisecond too soon they can do a 180 and finish their attack facing a completely different way and hit you, and that's kind of annoying.

You can Evade or Block cancel any attack move as long as it's not the last move in that weapon's combo chain. In your case (Chakrams), instead of smashing the attacking button, just press it three times and you can roll whenever you want.

As for the evade timing. I don't know, just watch the enemies. They all have very obvious animations letting you know that an attack is coming. The rest is timing, just don't get nervous and you should be fine I think.

I want to like it, but I feel like it's very similar to Skyrim in a lot of ways and I think I'm going to burn out on this a lot quicker since I haven't fully recovered from Skyim. That's not really the game's fault, but I think like Skyrim this suffers from just too much to do. The combat is different enough and enjoyable when I'm not getting smacked around by large enemies, but the questing is very similar and so far none of the story/characters have really made me care about anything in the world. I mean, I don't even listen to the Lorestones when I activate them, I just hit them for the XP then keep going on.

I don't know, I keep reading about how the quests are all similar but I still haven't seen similar side quests in the game (objective might be similar but the story/background/situation why you're asked to do some thing is mostly unique to each quest).

As for Lorestones, try listening to some completed sets from the status menu. They tell some interesting stories related to the areas you find them in.

Kem0sabe

Anyone else disappointed with the dungeons in the game? with a very few exceptions they all shared a few tile sets and ended repeating themselves ad nausea. Take any dungeon even remotely related to the Faye and its almost always the same cave for example.

Also concerning dungeon design... why all the backtracking once your finished with the dungeon? some of them have secret passages or jump points that cut the travel time back to the entrance once your finished, but a lot of them do not.

Edit: Also felt they could have mixed it up in the dungeons with unique puzzles and gameplay mechanics, but apparently they were having none of that.

Rad Agast

Yeah, I noticed that from my first time playing the game. The dungeons are too linear too which is a shame. I was hoping for more variety in the layout and design (I see those damn carved buildings in the distance, let me get there and get lost in the maze for a bit).

Aaron

In every aspect of this game, I wish there was less but it was better designed. I wish the map was smaller, but actually made where you could enjoy exploring. I wish there were less quests, but better ones. For the vast majority of them, the only thing unique is the dialogue. It's either kill some things or get some things. That becomes a chore.

I wish there was less loot... just less would be fine here. Damn is there so much worthless loot. I wouldn't mind less skills if the skill progression made more sense. Right now I can max out a weapon's level close to the start, but I also have to dump points into skills I don't want and will never use to unlock the ones I want. While at the same time I feel forced to use the weapons I put skill points into.

I like the game overall, but after 14 hours there's nothing that makes me want to play more. I'll respec and get a few more hours out of that, but the game is a little too much like the MMOs that bore me to tears.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD

You can't fast travel to your house and just drop off the items? Or is that chest full too?

I ONLY did the Webwood quests in order to get the storage chest. But I am only at 80 capacity for my backpack so it looks like I have at least a couple more to purchase! :)

The guy I still have problems with is that Crudok (giant poison-spewing scorpion thing)...
Oh, fuck me. Just did the trials at the Proving Grounds in Klurikon last night, lol. Not one, not two, but three of those bastards at the same time in the first round. Well, after dying 3-4 times, I guess I finally got them down now too. :)

The House of Sorrows trials has provided one of the most memorable, intense gameplay experiences for me in this game so far. Finished them all without using reckoning, no high level spells (meteor, tempest, etc.), only 2 minor potions, and without any gear (save for a pair of gloves and boots, no health regen). Everything was one-shotting me or coming very close to it, and I had to replay most of the rounds a few times. Absolutely no room for error. It was challenging, but I knew it was my own damn fault whenever I died.

Round 2 with the Ettin and Boggarts wasn't so bad, although I remember one Boggart kamikaze poison attack got me down to like 5% health and staggered me while the second Boggart finished the job. Killed by Boggart, no lie :(.

Round 3 saw a Thresher and its Boggart friends as well. Threshers are a piece of cake to me now. I love how they used to give me a good deal of trouble and now I relish giving them payback for old times. Died once in this round.

Round 4 was the 2 or 3 leanashes (the serpent bitches). No problem. I got them in my pocket now too. I don't think I even got hit once here.

Ever since I imposed those self-inflicted gameplay restrictions, this game has been moving up to one of my all-time faves. I'm enjoying it so damn much now.

Ricker

From what I am reading,the people saying the game is easy aren't playing a full Sorcery character...Bosses are hard as hell,even on normal...don't touch the difficulty in this game devs,the Hard mode is there for the superstars,normal is fine.

Blinking (teleport evade) is better than rolling since it allows you to evade through enemies and objects. Once you get it leveled up to Ice Blink you start adding freezing effect to the mix. Just take a couple of seconds to get used to the timing of using it for evasion and attack cancelling.

As for Gnash and your Robes, I don't craft any armor and just use what the game drops for me. I'm very fragile as a pure sorcerer (can be one hit killed if I'm not looking at the screen) but the game provides you with more than enough options to deal with pretty much any situation. If you think a fight is too hard, don't be shy to use Reckoning mode.

Remember that last boss fight you mentioned earlier? I used Reckoning right at the start, got rid of all the sprites very early and just had to fight the main guy on his own after Reckoning mode was over. Yes, it can be tricky to evade spell attacks when you're still not used to them so in that case just sprint around in circle till they finish casting then attack them.

Thanks for the tips,something I wasn't doing that I think will help a lot is your sprinting tip.I want back a few times to try him again(Sargos guy in the House of Ballads questline) and just to see I let myself get hit by his firebals/whirlwinds etc and die in 3 hits.

1stStrike

Banned
From what I am reading,the people saying the game is easy aren't playing a full Sorcery character...Bosses are hard as hell,even on normal...don't touch the difficulty in this game devs,the Hard mode is there for the superstars,normal is fine.

lol what? I respecced to fineesse and might because sorcery was a total cake walk. I was killing bosses in two attacks and it just wasn't fun. Even though the other classes are still way overpowered as well, at least you have to get up close and personal with the enemy rather than just standing on the other side of the room and two shotting everything that walks.

Kem0sabe

Hmm? Sorcery is incredibly overpowered. I with a sorcery/finesse build and meteor fucked most everything up, leaving the odd survivor for me to stab stab stab to death :)

I found an area that's impossible to get to:

Just south of Tirin

SHZxn.jpg

The map clearly shows an explorable area but this...

qs5Sw.jpg

... is blocking the path. It's not a hidden door, no prompt or text of any kind comes up.

There's also a similar looking stone on the eastern wall of the forsaken plains that looks like it should lead to a cave, and another in Webwood or Haxi that has a grate behind it you can see if you get the camera positioned right.

Hmmmm...

I'm also hoping that the DLC will have enemies 4 levels higher than me and a good number of persuasion options because those are the only two trophies I need and I don't want to start another playthrough.

Maybe you need to max your your Detect skill?

scy

To be honest, being terrible as a Sorcery build is pretty much on the player and not the game. It's definitely the easiest of the three trees.

moop1167

I seriously haven't had any good drops for my character in probably 10-12 in game hours. What the hell? Just no luck whatsoever. I haven't seen any blue/purple dagger or staff upgrades at all. Hopefully will get lucky soon.

I am sorcery/finesse but I don't have any of the high tier spells yet, so the game is still difficult on hard for me, especially some of those House of Valor quests where I can get one-shotted easily.

Level 22 now and I think I'm hitting the patch of game where it gets too easy. Split between might / sorcery I've only done like 5-10% of the sidequests I've stumbled across but I've completed the House of Ballads, House of Valor, and Warsworn quests and now just ripping through most enemies without much effort. Relentless assault is insane when you level it up, especially since you can spam potions if necessary.

I'm at the point of the main quest where
I'm pointed at helping the elven general or tracking down the gnome justicar
. Does the game get more difficult in the second half or will I be wrecking everything going forward?

Level 22 now and I think I'm hitting the patch of game where it gets too easy. Split between might / sorcery I've only done like 5-10% of the sidequests I've stumbled across but I've completed the House of Ballads, House of Valor, and Warsworn quests and now just ripping through most enemies without much effort. Relentless assault is insane when you level it up, especially since you can spam potions if necessary.

I'm at the point of the main quest where
I'm pointed at helping the elven general or tracking down the gnome justicar
. Does the game get more difficult in the second half or will I be wrecking everything going forward?
Since it sounds like you already stepped into Detyre having down the House of Valor/Warsworn quests, I'd recommend pursuing the gnome templar. Apparently, the area scales to the level you entered the area in, so if you leave now and level up elsewhere, Detyre is gonna be even easier than it was before.

Besides, in terms of flow of story, I think it works better taking care of business in the desert first before moving on to the elven general.

Hobbun

Actually you're in a pretty decent spot given that the game guide just came out, if that's your thing I'd recommend grabbing the guide given how awesome FuturePress ended up delivering on it. Can't wait to get home and see the thing.

Oh sure Curt, rub it in that you already have your copy.
:)
For us normal folk, the guide was pushed back until next week.

Started and finished up the House of Ballads quests last night. Overall, it was pretty good, although at level 27 I got some pretty unimpressive loot drops. I'm still getting Shadow Prisms every freaking drop and and in every chest. It's really starting to bother me.

Also, had to fight a boss and two Crudoks simultaneously. It's the first real fight in this game that I've come close to dying. But, it also showed me how some of the enemies just don't seem to be tuned very well. I can deal with enemies with good AI and good tactics. But Crudoks (and Thresh for that matter), just spam the same attacks over and over again. It's really annoying.

Ricker

To be honest, being terrible as a Sorcery build is pretty much on the player and not the game. It's definitely the easiest of the three trees.

Really...wow I guess I'm not doing something right,I was cruising along until these 2 fights but Gnarsh and that second guy in the House of Ballads quest are really hard for me at level 14...I'll try and find better chackrams,make more potions,pause the game to drink some buff potions and try at level 15...otherwise,it`s down on easy for me.

scy

Really...wow I guess I'm not doing something right,I was cruising along until these 2 fights but Gnarsh and that second guy in the House of Ballads quest are really hard for me at level 14...I'll try and find better chackrams,make more potions,pause the game to drink some buff potions and try at level 15...otherwise,it`s down on easy for me.

Gnarsh hits hard but is essentially just a souped up Troll; there were trolls all over Haxhi for good reason and they fight exactly the same as her. Mid-range evade the projectile ground slam and evade the charge(s). Chakrams make Trolls a lot easier as you can just ... stay out of melee range. Everything at that range has a windup so you should never get hit.

Bloody Bones is probably the first taste of annoying casters (well, maybe
The Widow
). You can dodge all the spells but it's probably just easier to burn him down. Not hard to flinch, though this typically causes his teleport. Honestly, the Sprite group with him is the only reason he's actually a pain. Another trend for casters down the road :x

If nothing else, Level 16 should give pure Sorcery access to the 50+ point abilities like Tempest and Elemental Rage. That's basically the start of "nothing in the game can do anything" mode.

I'm about to sell 55 unique weapons/armor pieces, I'm gonna get a heart attack :D

Worst feeling ever :( Seriously, the storage size limit is ridiculously low.

gehrig38

So while I'm having fun, this game suffers from the same thing every game in this genre suffers - piling on the most random sidequests when I'm supposed to be "saving the world". Why don't game designers just throw out the "main story" or simply blend it in with the rest of the world. If you want to do it great, if not, great, either way I won't feel weird for stopping to help this cursed wolf when I should be off to war.

I understand I don't have to do anything or can save it for after the game is finished, but realistically who plays a game like that? Stack content over here for later that will be obsolete/meaningless by then. It's not an immersion or roleplaying thing for me, but it's the same thing that turned me off from Oblivion way back when. There are portals opening with demons flooding to destroy the world, but I can ignore them for 90 hours and be a vampire. Alright. So why even have portals, just give me an open world to play around in!

Anyway, this game is great to play and that's all that matters in the end. I just wonder how real fans of this genre put up with that stuff game after game.

Until we can feed in content in real time, what are the options for an open world RPG? We want to tell you a story, we want you to be the hero of that story, we need to put you into a world that you 'believe' is "real fantasy" right?

We have to populate the world with people that need your help, otherwise we just make "Common Peasant of Amalur, the RPG!!" and you tend a shop for the entire game.

I understand your gripes and complaints but it sound more that you don't enjoy the genre of game anymore, or the methods with which we told you the story than anything, and that's perfectly valid right?

But if we can't give you things to do, OPTIONAL mind you, outside the main quest, what do we do?

Sounds to me like you would have more fun running the main quest through then respeccing if you liked the game, and trying out different things.

That's what I am doing. Playing two play throughs, one literally main quest ONLY, the other just putzing around doing whatever I want.

Enjoying both, and I've already been LOOKING at this game for 3 years:)

Also not sure I understand the complaints around visual, esp with the Skyrim comps. Skyrim is, well, hell it's gray, gray with some FX colors, that's what killed me. I love color, I love a rich colorful world, that's not Skyrim, Skyrim went for realism and edgy with a brief hint of color in a sea of greys. That's not my cup of tea

We have to populate the world with people that need your help, otherwise we just make "Common Peasant of Amalur, the RPG!!" and you tend a shop for the entire game.

Actually, they have a game that is pretty much this. It is called Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

You run an item shop in a rpg town, set prices, window placement, etc. Surprising amount of fun.

Glip_Glop

I'd actually buy that DLC "Tend a Shop" basically you just have a sad little shop and deal with entitled customers bitching about the horse armor they purchased from you lol. Seriously do it.

Top Bottom