• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling for AMD cards is now possible

woober

edit: oh... you have that. Have you tried the 1440 resolution first?

I originally jumped all the way to 2560x1600 and it worked until I restarted my computer because I ran Diablo 3 and it crashed. Now it won't let me jump to that resolution at all.

D3 1600p -> 1050p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472941

Gif:
diablo-iii_aa_demooou1k.gif

hi-fi Png:
diablo-iii_aa_demo_imniujt.png

Marvelous \o/

This is glorious.

Tried to play Battlefield 3 with everything maxed on 2880x1800p, it worked at first, then I turned on x4AA.

Game just froze and I started to hear the fans going faster. Hard reseted the PC right away. lol

Couldn't get it to work on my hp2475w until I tried the custom monitor driver.

Pondering what a suitable resolution would be. Monitor is 1920x1200. Tried Diablo with 2560x1600. Definitely an improvement over the AA.

derFeef

I originally jumped all the way to 2560x1600 and it worked until I restarted my computer because I ran Diablo 3 and it crashed. Now it won't let me jump to that resolution at all.

The guide suggest adding the 1440 first. Maybe try deleting the custom resolutions and start over. Btw. you don't need to net the resolution on the desktop, it worked in all games just fine I tried by setting the ingame res to the higher one (only fullscreen, ofcourse).

coopolon

Hmm, how do I undo this change? Something is messed up (it's not because of this program, but having the computer not understand the real maximum resolution is making it hard to fix.)

I want to change it back so that the computer thinks the maximum resolution possible is 1080p.

derFeef

Hmm, how do I undo this change? Something is messed up (it's not because of this program, but having the computer not understand the real maximum resolution is making it hard to fix.)

I want to change it back so that the computer thinks the maximum resolution possible is 1080p.

Open it and hit "Löschen" with the selected resolution (which means delete).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So guys, currently gaming on a 1280x1024 monitor (I know) on an AMD HD58710 1gB. Any estimates as to what I can expect from downsampling?

Also for the future, I'm getting a 1080p monitor, so that would likely diminish any gains I would get from downsampling without ruining my performance right?

Andrea23

Yeah it's much better than the in game AA. Great great mod. I feel like I'm finally taking real advantage of my card.

Just a clarification: in those shots the downsampling is assisted by Blizzard's FXAA.
The 1600p alone is not sufficient to achieve the sharpness you can appreciate in my shots.

I think that the post processed AA can be deactivated only with a resolution equal to or greater than 2100p/2160p.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't go higher than 1440p because my 5850 doesn't support it, and it would seem that resolution really offers no improvement whatsoever.

Kayhan

Found this in the High Res srceenshot thread. If this isn't a poster child for the benefits of downsampling I don't know what is.

Dice

Make sure "show modes my monitor doesn't support" is enabled.
It is. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to select this resolution, right? It does "zoom out" my desktop and run the game in higher resolution, it's just that it doesn't look any more antialiased whatsoever. If anything, it looks a bit grubby like when you use MLAA.

derFeef

It is. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to select this resolution, right? It does "zoom out" my desktop and run the game in higher resolution, it's just that it doesn't look any more antialiased whatsoever. If anything, it looks a bit grubby like when you use MLAA.

Did you make sure you have GPU scaling disabled? Something is wrong for sure. And remember, you don't actually have to set the desktop resolution higher, you just can set it in the game - at leat for most of the games.

Dice

Did you make sure you have GPU scaling disabled? Something is wrong for sure. And remember, you don't actually have to set the desktop resolution higher, you just can set it in the game - at leat for most of the games.
Yes, that is disabled.

I think perhaps that I'm just picky as fuck/am really good at seeing jaggies. I am used to supersampling. I don't think it would scale down evenly/appropriately unless it was 1620p. 1440p isn't a clean multiple so the pixel ratio to my monitor isn't clean. It's like when you do a pixel resize on images instead of resampling, you have to go in 50% increments.

Anyway, this is the smaller issue for ATI. I still just wish AA actually worked in all my games. Sometimes it just doesn't want to, like with Witcher 2 and Dungeon Siege 3. It seems to have some relation to DX10 but I can't figure out what it is. I wish I could find some poor sucker to trade an equal-level nvidia for my 5850.

JohngPR

I'm not exactly sure if I'm doing this right...

With max Payne 3, if I set my desktop on my PC to 2880x1620 then run the game and the game is set to 1920x1080....is it downsampled or not?

I ask because when I tried to change the resolution to 2880x1620 in-game it looked like crap.

With max Payne 3, if I set my desktop on my PC to 2880x1620 then run the game and the game is set to 1920x1080....is it downsampled or not?

I ask because when I tried to change the resolution to 2880x1620 in-game it looked like crap.

The desktop resolution doesn't matter. When you set the in game resolution to 2880x1620 it is downsampled.

Try 2560x1440 instead.

JohngPR

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

Too bad it took away enough performance away that I didn't care for it, but I'll try it on other games and see what I get.

Shaneus

Just tried this, getting some awesome results with some games. But at least one (may happen with others) game slows to <1fps when using one of the higher resolutions. That game is Blur. Would that just be an engine thing? I've only tried it with pCARS as well, but it doesn't have the performance impact on that at all.

Tess3ract

Banned
I've tried multiple times to get this to work and it simply doesn't show up with an alternate resolution for me. I heard something about windows limiting your resolution if your monitor reports a max resolution could that be it?

Hide resolutions is unchecked. I've installed that inf (had to modify some system policies to allow myself to do so) just fine, I've rebooted, nothing. Gonna try and install the new 12.6 beta driver...

scitek

I've tried multiple times to get this to work and it simply doesn't show up with an alternate resolution for me. I heard something about windows limiting your resolution if your monitor reports a max resolution could that be it?

Dunno. I have a 1080p TV and I'm pretty sure it reports 1920x1080 as its max resolution, but I can do it. I'm using the 12.6 beta drivers, too.

Tess3ract

Banned
See, as a 4890 owner the newest drivers that work for me are 12.5, 12.7 is the latest beta and that just skips over the drivers because it doesn't even include them.

Tess3ract

Banned
Tried installing latest drivers, tried turning off UAC, nothing.

When I hit OK, is it supposed to change to a higher resolution? Because all it does is stay the same for me and when I go there to change my resolution nothing's changed. My screen refreshes as if I've changed a resolution but nothing actually changes.

edit: the only way I can even GET IT TO SHOW in the resolutions is to also modify the HDisplay and VDisplay entries with 2560x1600, but of course if I do that, my shitty asian monitor goes blank and I have to f8 into forcing windows to start in low res mode to get out of it

I can't find the NVIDIA downsampling thread, so I'll ask here...

I've tried small amounts of downsampling (like running 1920x1080 on my 1680x1050 monitor to try to force widescreen with black bars) but when I do I get strange lines running down my screen and I can't get it to letterbox, it just stretches out no matter what, whether I turn GPU scaling on or off.

Kinda resurrecting this but with recently aquiring Arma 2, Crysis 2, etc I'm having something of an IQ renaissance. Playing with AA a lot.

I really dislike fxaa and mlaa, and generally just use amsaa with eq(cs)aa.... Downsampling in Arma 2 has changed my mind completely and I now really just want to downsample, and slowly bump up the msaa samples on top of that.

The thing is though, my monitor is 2560 1440 native, at 27 inches, but I only run that resolution on the desktop. In games I play at 1920 1200 or 1920 1080, because I sit pretty close to the screen and it's easier to gather all the information faster that way. Yes, I play with the image surrounded by black in the middle of the screen.

This program would be useless to me because running 1:1 at 1920 1080, downscaled from 2560 1440 for example wouldn't work, it would just fill up the screen. I would have to downscale to 2560 1440, how could I keep the in game res at 1920 1080 and still be downscaling with this?

Maybe the H display and V display, but then I'd have to change it everytime I wen't to desktop.

Some more experiences: my 6970 and dell ultrasharp u2711 don't like doing this above 2560 1440.

First since this monitor is 2560 1440 native, you have to first change your res down to 1920 1080 before running the hack, then run the program, set 2560 1440, and then higher resolutions downscale by default.

When I tried to make higher resolutions like 2880x1620@1920x1080 (factor 1.5 per axis)
3840x2160@1920x1080 (factor 2.0 per axis), I had strange screen tearing with clearish vertical lines running down the screen.

All in all, 2 blue screen's/automatic restarts and my monitor going in and out of sleep probably 50 times, I think I quit for now lol.

Razek

Banned
Some more experiences: my 6970 and dell ultrasharp u2711 don't like doing this above 2560 1440.

First since this monitor is 2560 1440 native, you have to first change your res down to 1920 1080 before running the hack, then run the program, set 2560 1440, and then higher resolutions downscale by default.

When I tried to make higher resolutions like 2880x1620@1920x1080 (factor 1.5 per axis)
3840x2160@1920x1080 (factor 2.0 per axis), I had strange screen tearing with clearish vertical lines running down the screen.

All in all, 2 blue screen's/automatic restarts and my monitor going in and out of sleep probably 50 times, I think I quit for now lol.

This seems like so much work for something that SSAA mode works nearly as well at. Just run SSAA at nothing past 4x aa, usually 2x will suffice. It doesn't look 'as' good but at least it works without blue screens most of the time.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Word of advice, I had the u2711 and I couldn't for the life of me go above 2560x1440, I tried weird stuff like custom EDIDs, hacked monitor settings/drivers and what have you but it never worked.

This seems like so much work for something that SSAA mode works nearly as well at. Just run SSAA at nothing past 4x aa, usually 2x will suffice. It doesn't look 'as' good but at least it works without blue screens most of the time.

Word of advice, I had the u2711 and I couldn't for the life of me go above 2560x1440, I tried weird stuff like custom EDIDs, hacked monitor settings/drivers and what have you but it never worked.

Thanks, I really love this monitor so I'm not going to try anymore shit at it until AMD comes out with catalyst that has built in proper ogssaa downscaling.

AA is just so convoluted these days with msaa amsaa eq/cs fx/ml/sm it gets really annoying if you start to think about it too much.

I would use sgssaa with catalyst but it rarely works at all in newer games, because they restrict driver control, and when it does in older games, it messes with my mouse input :)

Razek

Banned
Thanks, I really love this monitor so I'm not going to try anymore shit at it until AMD comes out with catalyst that has built in proper ogssaa downscaling.

AA is just so convoluted these days with mlaa amlaa eq/cs fx/ml/sm it gets really annoying if you start to think about it too much.

I would use sgssaa with catalyst but it rarely works at all in newer games, because they restrict driver control, and when it does in older games, it messes with my mouse input :)

Ah, I see. I'm pretty lucky it works in the games I generally play. Skyrim is a wonderful example of how image quality can be massively boosted by using 2x game set AA with SSAA in the ccc.

scitek

Yeah scorpscarx, this isn't something that would be of much use to you, I'd guess. If it's at all an option, though, I'd consider selling that 6970 and maybe picking up a 7xxx card as, from what I know, those allow control over SSAA in DX10/11. I was able to get $200 for my 6950 and put that toward a GTX 670, which has been a decent step up in power.

derFeef

I am now running almost all my games with this, except games like Alan Wake that make some effort and have implemented a fantastic AA solution.
edit: also getting a 7970 ghz edition soon so this may be obsolete ;)

Yeah scorpscarx, this isn't something that would be of much use to you, I'd guess. If it's at all an option, though, I'd consider selling that 6970 and maybe picking up a 7xxx card as, from what I know, those allow control over SSAA in DX10/11. I was able to get $200 for my 6950 and put that toward a GTX 670, which has been a decent step up in power.

Thanks for the input, I still like this card, and about 3 months ago I put an Accelero Extreme 7970 cooler on it, so I'm attached to it for a while. Whenever I do upgrade I'll either sell it for a little more with the cooler, transfer it over, or buy a new one so things are a little more complicated now.

Here's some rough looking pics I took at the time.

scitek

I am now running almost all my games with this, except games like Alan Wake that make some effort and have implemented a fantastic AA solution.
edit: also getting a 7970 ghz edition soon so this may be obsolete ;)

Oh no, if you're anything like me you'll start combining downsampling with MSAA or even SSAA if possible. I thought I'd be playing everything at 1080p with 60fps, but I've become a downsampling fiend as of late.

EDIT: I wish there was a way to downsample from higher resolutions with AMD cards. The amount of VRAM they come with makes them good at it. I've noticed a few times with my new card and Alan Wake and some other games that at 2880x1620, the framerate will drop for a couple seconds and then catch back up. I think it's the lack of VRAM having trouble loading new areas. In lots of benchmarks, my card'll beat a 79xx, but I'd have to shell out another $100 for more VRAM.

Jac_Solar

Here's a few quick ones I took. Downsampled from 1440p.

Crysis 2 benefits on the fences and smaller details the most. The difference in lighting is from pausing/unpausing. Sorry.

Original

Downsampled

The line "straightness" details on the skyscraper glass building on the far left side of the picture seems to have been greatly improved.

Top Bottom