• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
They should be,as the Amazon/NoA feud seems to be a thing of the past. Amazon has been selling Nintendo hardware directly for awhile now.

But we have absolutely no idea when these pre-orders are going to go live on Amazon's site right? Every time I've been told I could get something Nintendo related on Amazon, the site gets so much traffic that the product page crashes and I completely miss out. If I rely on getting this from Amazon and fail there, am I SOL in general? It honestly seems like a riskier strategy than just waiting at a brick and mortar store for it to open up and making sure I'm the first in line to sign up for the pre-order...

If pre-orders go live on Amazon immediately following the conference on the evening of the 12th, then great, I'd hope I'd be able to snag one, but otherwise, why are we confident this will work for everyone?

Plum

Other than Skyrim and the new Mario, what games shown in that video weren't Wii U ports?

Views are great and so is praise, but if it doesn't translate into sales then it's pointless and Nintendo only have to mess up their account system, online or something else for that praise to change.

None, but one, they're enhanced ports with new content and two, the PS4 and X1's library was full of cross-gen titles for the first two years and that didn't harm them despite the PS3/X360 being in MUCH more hands than the Wii U. At the PS4's launch it had 3 games not available on last-gen platforms; on Xbox One it was 7 (with 3 being Kinect games) Simply ignoring Zelda being there because the Wii U has it is like ignoring Twilight Princess because it was on the Gamecube, when advertising comes in BotW will be a Switch game first and foremost and to the vast majority the Wii U version might as well not even exist.

As for your second point you can say that for anything, "if so and so mess up such and such that praise can change!" Of course it can, but then we're talking about hypothetical situations that we won't know about until Friday. Again, what evidence is there right now to suggest that those praise and views will mean nothing come March? Because right now most evidence points to a launch year with sales at the very, very least as "good" as the Wii U's.

jchap

There were? So? You would buy Just dance with the 4 to 5 high profile games?

According to that Pic, there's Zelda, Some sort of Mario game, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Dragon age and some kind of sonic game.

No one gives to shits about lego, NBA, Elder scrolls on a launch system.

Zelda, DQX, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, MH, Skyrim

But we have absolutely no idea when these pre-orders are going to go live on Amazon's site right? Every time I've been told I could get something Nintendo related on Amazon, the site gets so much traffic that the product page crashes and I completely miss out. If I rely on getting this from Amazon and fail there, am I SOL in general? It honestly seems like a riskier strategy than just waiting at a brick and mortar store for it to open up and making sure I'm the first in line to sign up for the pre-order...

If pre-orders go live on Amazon immediately following the conference on the evening of the 12th, then great, I'd hope I'd be able to snag one, but otherwise, why are we confident this will work for everyone?

I'm not confident Amazon will be the best place to pre-order a Switch and I've never said as much. I wouldn't rely solely on Amazon if you plan on pre-ordering online, as they're pretty hit and miss for Nintendo-related products. I've actually never pre-ordered something Nintendo-related from that site.

They do, however, sell Nintendo hardware directly, which is what I was addressing.

This is such fucking bullshit. I am willing to give nintendo my money day one but if they want to make me jump through a million hoops and fight the scalpers for a pre order I guess ill pick up one on sale or possible refurbished this holiday.

Papacheeks

Banned
Zelda, DQX, Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, MH, Skyrim

Is mario a new game or one of the ones on the Wii U getting re-released?

Monster Hunter I could give 2 shits about, Skyrim is out on everything else. Mario Kart, Zelda, and SPlatoon are the heavy hitters and 2 of those are re-releases.

Isn't DQX a MMO?

Hoping those bunch on that image that say placeholder are new IP's or whatever from the 3DS developers. Because there are like maybe 4-5 games that I can see selling really well and the rest will be like the Wii U ports all over again.

I find it really interesting that this was posted without the rumor tag. Kevin/GoNintendo seems pretty confident about this...

Without being too detailed everything in that image appears legit.

Now whether it's an incredibly well done photoshop I'm not sure. But on a surface level it looks correct

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

New 3D Mario game.

There's also a Mario and Raymay Raving Rabbids crossover RPG that may or may not be out around launch.

DMONKUMA

I'm not confident Amazon will be the best place to pre-order a Switch and I've never said as much. I wouldn't rely solely on Amazon if you plan on pre-ordering online, as they're pretty hit and miss for Nintendo-related products. I've actually never pre-ordered something Nintendo-related from that site.

They do, however, sell Nintendo hardware directly, which is what I was addressing.

You going for BestBuy Orbital?

LordKano

Monster Hunter I could give 2 shits about, Skyrim is out on everything else. Mario Kart, Zelda, and SPlatoon are the heavy hitters and 2 of those are re-releases.

Isn't DQX a MMO?

The Mario is a brand new one. DQX is effectively a MMO (and won't release out of Japan anyway).
Mario Kart and Splatoon are more remasters than rereleases.

You going for BestBuy Orbital?

I've been successful pre-ordering from BB in the past, so I'd definitely be fine ordering a Switch from them if they're available on the 13th.

Note that BB will pre-authorize the full amount of your pre-order from your bank immediately if you order using a debit card.

Oh Nintendo the under-shipping begins again. I am glad I am not in a rush to get the Switch because I do not want to go through the whole constant F5'ing shenanigans.

Red Devil

That's assuming it sells well at launch, otherwise you might just be able to walk to a store and pick it up.

What are the chances we end with another Wii launch like situation?

C1vrZLhW8AEk3WT.jpg:large

welp...

That's a killer launch lineup if true.

What does that price translate to?

DMONKUMA

I've been successful pre-ordering from BB in the past, so I'd definitely be fine ordering a Switch from them if they're available on the 13th.

Do you preorder for it to pick up in store when it releases or for it to be ship to you?

I'm aware of how Best Buy operates on charges but I haven't done a preorder for a console from them....especially on the day the preorders on gonna be up.

That's assuming it sells well at launch, otherwise you might just be able to walk to a store and pick it up.

Almost none, unless you think a portable version of a 6 year old RPG is the next Wii Sports.

Papacheeks

Banned
The Mario is a brand new one. DQX is effectively a MMO (and won't release out of Japan anyway).
Mario Kart and Splatoon are more remasters than rereleases.

If DQX wont release outside of Japan why is it on the Germany gamestops inventory screen?

Also how are two games that released 2 years ago being remastered? Like are they just adding extra content are are they getting a resolution bump, textures AA all that stuff?

The rayman/mario rpg game is the one I want the most. The rest of those dont scream must buy. If you've already played them. I mean I missed out on Wii U and I'm down with getting splatoon and mario kart. But outside of those nothing really jumps out at me. Unless they have yet to show their big guns?

GAMETA

Banned
If it's like this in the US and don't even want to think of how impossible it will be to get one here in Brazil.... Breath of the Wild digital Wii U day one version it will be :(

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Note that BB will pre-authorize the full amount of your pre-order from your bank immediately if you order using a debit card.

I'll try them first as well. Would rather get the bonus points with GCU than buy from Amazon. I have some credit at Gamestop, but don't want to hassle with a physical store preorder or pick up, and doubt they'll do many if any online preorders if they're getting short stock in store as rumored. I'll just use that credit for a pro controller or other games.

One thing I think is worth considering is just that launches in general can indeed be limited on stock no matter what. Honestly, despite what a disaster the Wii U would up being, for about a month there it was actually breaking previous records and selling out. After a couple of weeks, Basic units became fairly readily available. And then close to Christmas time it was reaching a point where Deluxe units could be found, or at least purchased from a site like eBay for close to MSRP.

And then, as we all know January arrived and the wheels came completely off.

sonto340

I can't believe how little information we have.
All in the span of about thirty seconds before they all sell out I have to figure out if gamestop does site to store on the switch, decide if I want it at midnight the night of or wait until 10 the day of launch, and then pray that it isn't sold out.

Buying a console day one for the first time, and this is kind of awful.

Papacheeks

Banned
welp...

The dreamcast had a killer launch lineup that couldn't be ignored, this seems acceptable and thats about it.

Is zelda launching though? Thought there was a rumor it was getting delayed till like June?

It lists DQ11 for launch. List debunked.

Yea, thats what doesn't make sense to me. Didn't they say sometime 2018 for DQ 11?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Those don't necessarily have to be launch games--just games for preorder.

That said, I think it's fake.

Eiolon

I can't believe how little information we have.
All in the span of about thirty seconds before they all sell out I have to figure out if gamestop does site to store on the switch, decide if I want it at midnight the night of or wait until 10 the day of launch, and then pray that it isn't sold out.

Buying a console day one for the first time, and this is kind of awful.

The system isn't launching in 3 days, it's being fully unveiled in 3 days. That's when you'll get your info. Then you'll have at least 2 more months until it comes out. Not having any info right now doesn't matter.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Yah, I had a really bad experience pre-ordering the Smash Bros for Wii U bundle from Best Buy a few years back where the day I was supposed to receive it, they gave me an indefinite delay but would also not give me a refund for the item because they said it had already processed through their system. I ended up having to buy another bundle off of Amazon and then sold the Best Buy one to a friend when I randomly received it a week later with no warning.

Guess I'll likely be waiting outside come Friday morning. Good thing my flu finally subsided this past weekend.

Papacheeks

Banned
Those don't necessarily have to be launch games--just games for preorder.

That said, I think it's fake.

It's either fake or those dates for some of the titles are place holders. Square straight up said Dragon quest 11 is a 2018 game.

Unless the info is wrong and its a remaster from an older dragon quest game?

Red Devil

welp...

Wait a second, what's the Sonic game listed in there? Is it Sonic Mania? Because the other one will come out several months later.

Almost none, unless you think a portable version of a 6 year old RPG is the next Wii Sports.

Yes, but got to see what else they have in store come Friday.

One thing I think is worth considering is just that launches in general can indeed be limited on stock no matter what. Honestly, despite what a disaster the Wii U would up being, for about a month there it was actually breaking previous records and selling out. After a couple of weeks, Basic units became fairly readily available. And then close to Christmas time it was reaching a point where Deluxe units could be found, or at least purchased from a site like eBay for close to MSRP.

And then, as we all know January arrived and the wheels came completely off.

That's also true.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
The only launch title I am interested in is Zelda and the last time I played a Zelda game was Ocarina of Time, therefore it isn't worth the hassle nor the upfront cost for this console so early on. I think I'm going to just wait until it gets cheaper or more titles become available.

Funny enough, I'd buy it day one if it included the Metroid Prime games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The system isn't launching in 3 days, it's being fully unveiled in 3 days. That's when you'll get your info. Then you'll have at least 2 more months until it comes out. Not having any info right now doesn't matter.

They were saying that preorders (at least for Gamestop if this rumor is true) are likely to sell out quickly. Especially if they go live online right after the event.

i.e. some would prefer if preorders didn't go live until a few days later to give time to research options, decide if they need to show up at a certain store at opening and what not.

Vs. everywhere going live late at night right after the reveal presser, or different stores going live on preorders at different random times.

In other words, just anxiety from people who want to make sure they get a preorder secured.

KingV

The only console launch in recent memory that was easy to get in the first 6 months was Xbox one, probably because it was $500. I don't think I was able to lock down a PS4 at launch price until like March.

Top Bottom