• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

kevin1025

Banned
You sure? I know the list for March came out today, but I'm on Netflix right now and at the bottom it still says it's being removed March 7th

And what's your guy's take on the original cuts of the OT being rereleased for the 40th anniversary? Think it'll finally happen?

I have a good feeling about this.

I think it's time for it to happen.

curb

Banned
And what's your guy's take on the original cuts of the OT being rereleased for the 40th anniversary? Think it'll finally happen?

Pablo Hidalgo said on twitter that it all comes down to one person and he doesn't think they've given their approval. I'm thinking it's a no.

curb

Banned
I dont know. Pretty sure its George and I dont think he really cares anymore.

Well, I guess I'm thinking more in terms of the 40th anniversary. I'm not saying never but from what Pablo said, it doesn't sound like it's happening soon, if ever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just watched Empire Strikes Back again.

Man, it will rip my heart apart if Luke would die in this Trilogy. It would be the most hurtful moment in movie history for me.

But I think there is a small chance that he could carry on as a artefact of the past for future movies.

The strangest thing is, that there is a part in my who wants him to die that i can experience the hurt of it.

I honestly don't think Luke *should* die. I feel like people who think otherwise just want it because they think 1) not killing off a character is cowardly for some reason and 2) THE IMPACT!. I think killing him off would be more forced than anything, as I don't think there's any good purposes (shock, character development for main cast, emotional impact on main cast, hard "transfer of mantle", "great sacrifice" character moment, for Luke etc.) it could serve that wouldn't be lazy or repetitive. Sometimes not killing off a character is more bold, and I think there are far more interesting things to do with Luke than having him die on screen. Let him pass away from old age in between trilogies and do something more interesting in the meantime.

sphagnum

Banned
Unless I missed something, I think I've found a timeline discrepancy between Lost Stars and Empire's End.

In LS, it is specifically stated that the Battle of Jakku takes place slightly more than one year after Endor, because Thane is still following Jelucani tradition and mourning for Ciena. In Empire's End, Ben is born the same day that the Galactic Concordance is signed after the battle. It is also specifically stated that Ben was conceived on Endor . So unless Thane was counting in Jelucani years and they differ from the galactic standard or unless Han and Leia took a trip back to Endor for some reason or unless humans take longer than 9 months to gestate in SW, there's a three month gap.

sphagnum

Banned
Which planets do we know of that have Kyber crystals? I think it's just

Ilum
Christophsis
Jedha
Lothal

As far as I know. Are there any others?

That's it as far as I can think of.

So now that Aftermath has wrapped up the Battle of Jakku, I thought it would be fun to look back at the first year after Endor in canon. How do you guys think it compares with the same time period in Legends?

-The Empire immediately fractures after Palpatine and Vader's deaths. Mas Amedda tries to maintain calm in the core by using body doubles to promote the idea that Palpatine lives but everyone sees through it and Coruscant falls into civil war. Many worlds openly switch sides now that the momentum is with the Rebellion. Warlordism runs rampant with Imperial officials claiming powers for themselves or carving out their own fiefdoms, as with Adelhard in the Anoat sector who institutes the Iron Blockade resulting in an uprising led by rebels and criminals.
-Han and Leia get married. Luke begins searching the galaxy for Jedi artifacts and knowledge.
-Sentinel droids following Palpatine's prerecorded orders initiate Operation: Cinder, in which hardliners Imperial loyalists carry out a campaign of terror to wipe out various planets as revenge for Palpatine's death. Princess Leia, Shara Bey, and Queen Soruna hold off Imperial weather machines deployed by Captain Duvat wrecking havoc on Naboo until Lando arrives with the Rebel fleet to wipe out the Imperial forces in orbit. Naboo comes under attack three times in total due to its importance to the Empire but they are driven back each time.
-The New Republic is established on Chandrila with Mon Mothma as Chancellor of the provisional Senate. She immediately rescinds the emergency powers that had been granted to Palpatine.
-Imperials try to restart the droid factories on Geonosis but are stopped by New Republic special ops forces.
-Admiral Rae Sloane, the de facto leader of the Empire due to her control of the bulk of the Navy, attempts to plot a course for the fractured Empire by bringing together the Imperial Future Council on Akiva. It is sabotaged by the mysterious "Operator" who provides information to the New Republic, as well as a team led by Norra Wexley trying to rescue Sloane's prisoner Wedge Antilles. The New Republic liberates Akiva, killing or capturing most members of the IFC. Sloane escapes to the Vulpinus Nebula where she meets with her secret superior, Admiral Gallius Rax, who reveals himself to be the Operator, having sabotaged the IFC to weed out weak Imperials and possible rivals. Rax sets up a subsequent Shadow Council and has Sloane rescue Commandant Brendol Hux from Arkanis to start a breeding program.
-Gallius Rax sets up a convoluted plan leading to the liberation of Rebel Alliance hostages held on Kashyyyk, including Norra's husband Brentin, who have had biochips implanted in them. When Leia hires Norra's team to find Han after his disappearance when trying to lead an unauthorized liberation of Kashyyyk, the team ends up helping Han and Chewie liberate the planet after all.
-Recently promoted Grand Admiral Sloane sues for peace after the Imperial defeat at Kuat. She attends a Liberation Day parade on Chandrila ostensibly to sign a surrender but actually expecting Rax to send the fleet to strike while the NR is off balance. In reality, Rax sabotages Sloane by having the liberated Kashyyyk prisoners assassinate New Republic officials during the parade, nearly killing Mon Mothma. Sloane flees with Brentin Wexley.
-Rax openly usurps Imperial command, promoting himself to Counselor and moving the fleet to Jakku, which he calls for the rest of the remaining Imperial forces to gather at.
-The pirate lord Eleodie Marcavanya captures the SSD Annihilator, renaming it Liberty's Misrule.
-Lawman Cobb Vanth obtains Boba Fett's armor on Tatooine and tries to establish order in Freetown, coming into custody of a Hutt child with which he intends on holding sway over the underworld. He comes into conflict with the Red Key gang.
-The Sith worshipping Acolytes of the Beyond begin their attacks.
-Lando starves out Adelhard and retakes control of Cloud City.
-New factions are established such as the New Separatist Union, the Confederacy of Corporate Systems, and the Sovereign Latitudes.
-Norra Wexley hunts down Sloane on Jakku. Her son, Temmin ("Snap"), reports to Mothma that the Empire is massing around the planet.
-Mon Mothma's poll numbers take a huge hit after the attack, opening a path to election for her rival Tolwar Wartol, who aggressively desires a final battle with the Empire. Wartol, however, turns out to be trying to sabotage Mothma, leaking to the press that she knows where the Empire is based and yet does nothing. When Mothma pushes for a vote for a battle on Jakku, the Senate votes it down, humiliating her. When Han and others investigate they learn that five senators were bribed/threatened by a Red Key/Black Sun alliance that hopes to extend the period of chaos to take advantage of it, working in league with Wartol. After the Senate relocates to Nakadia, the slicer Conder Kyl changes the compromised senators' votes during a revote, thereby authorizing a battle.
-Rax captures Sloane and Brentin and shows them Hux's brainwashed child soldiers, which he proclaims to be the future of the Empire. Having driven his own troops to the brink of madness after months on Jakku, Rax prepares to fulfill the Contingency: Palpatine's plan to destroy the Empire that he was entrusted with should the Emperor die. Having lured the New Republic into a battle on Jakku, Rax obtains coordinates to a point in the Unknown Regions, where Palpatine believed a dark power was calling him to go, from an ancient supercomputer running inside the Observatory, a secret facility constructed by Palpatine prior to the Clone Wars underneath the surface of Jakku. He also sacrifices the leader of the Acolytes, Yupe Tashu, hurling him and Sith artifacts into the center of the planet where life energies reside, having tricked him into believing they would resurrect Palpatine; this triggers a self destruct sequence to destroy the planet and everything in orbit. However, Rax is killed by Sloane with Norra's help and she subsequently prevents detonation. Up above, the New Republic manages to destroy the SSD Ravager and most of the Imperial fleet. Using the supercomputer coordinates, Sloane escapes with Hux, his son Armitage, and the brainwashed children to the Unknown Regions where Palpatine's personal SSD Eclipse awaits them.
-Mas Amedda signs the Galactic Concordance, immediately ending Imperial rule on Coruscant and severely limiting the official Empire's activities within defined borders, with a goal towards eventual dissolution. Civilian Imperial employees are given conditional pardons while all Imperial officers, such as Ciena Ree, are charged with war crimes. Some Imperial holdouts remain, including diehards who continue the war on Jakku for months, and Nash Windrider's fleet which regroups in the Queluhan Nebula.
-Ben Solo is born to Han and Leia the day of the signing of the Concordance.
-Jar Jar Binks takes on his dark apprentice, Mapo.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That's it as far as I can think of.

So now that Aftermath has wrapped up the Battle of Jakku, I thought it would be fun to look back at the first year after Endor in canon. How do you guys think it compares with the same time period in Legends?

I see what you did there. And I approve.

The first excerpt from Thrawn's been released.

The exclusive excerpt below is near the beginning of the book when Thrawn has made contact with an Imperial warship, whose captain has seen potential in this blue-skinned, red-eyed Chiss soldier and decided to bring him to the capital world of Coruscant. Thrawn and the ruthless Emperor are at a pivotal meeting with Captain Parck, "the commander who has possibly put his career at risk with his bold initiative," as well as Eli Vanto, "a young cadet who's heard stories about these mysterious people and whose knowledge of Thrawn's language has put him in a unique position," says Zahn.

An interesting nugget is revealed: Thrawn knew Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars, before the former Jedi embraced the dark side of the Force and became Darth Vader. Adds Zahn: "From a canon standpoint, it weaves another thread through the Star Wars lore, adding to the intricate tapestry that is the galaxy far, far away."

It's Thrawn and the Emperor's first meeting. Pretty cool.

Thrawn's getting three different editions now. Standard, Barnes and Noble and a Celebration exclusive edition.

wrap_reg_lo-768x525.jpg

wrap_BN_lo-768x525.jpg

wrap_cel_lo-min-1024x435.jpg

The SW Facebook page has confirmed Season 4 of Rebels too. It leads to a dud link though.

rebels_s4zhuje.png

Here's the link. Looks like they were a bit early with the tweets/Facebook posts.

Despite the best efforts of the Grand Inquisitor, Darth Vader, and Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Ghost crew will be back.

Star Wars Rebels is set to return for a fourth season, Lucasfilm announced today, premiering later this year on Disney XD. Production is already underway. Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, programming and general manager, Disney XD said, “The team behind Star Wars Rebels delivers epic storytelling that has captivated fans of all ages across the globe. We’re excited to continue sharing the journey of these fan-favorite rebels with our audience in the fall.”

Will they ever join up with the Yavin Rebels? Haven't seen any of Season 3 yet but was under the impression from Season 2 and Rebels Recon that their rebel faction only appeared in RotJ as in in-universe explanation for A-Wings and B-Wings only showing up in RotJ.

kevin1025

Banned
Really cool to hear about season four of Rebels, I've been saving up season three to watch them in a big, long weekend. I kind of expected this to be its last season, so another one is really cool!

Teggy

Just got to David Tennant in Clone Wars! Only have a few days left until it is removed but I think I will make it. Luckily I have the entire Rebels series on TiVo.

Sayers

Just got to David Tennant in Clone Wars! Only have a few days left until it is removed but I think I will make it. Luckily I have the entire Rebels series on TiVo.

Make sure you finish it, the last two arcs of season 5 are amazing.

Gravidee

Will they ever join up with the Yavin Rebels? Haven't seen any of Season 3 yet but was under the impression from Season 2 and Rebels Recon that their rebel faction only appeared in RotJ as in in-universe explanation for A-Wings and B-Wings only showing up in RotJ.

The Ghost as well as Hera and Chopper are with the Yavin rebels in Rogue One. The mystery lies in how we get to that point and what happens after that.

The Ghost is at Yavin for Rogue One but looking at the wiki the Phoenix cell doesn't seem to be and it's not there in ANH either. The Ghost being at Yavin could just be a random one-off thing particularly if Rebels ends before the events of Rogue One.

Oh cool a Star Wars thread!

Any ways, I never got too much into the Extended Universe so I don't know much about Thrawn, is he as badass as everyone says he is?

Are the new books completely changing his story?

sphagnum

Banned
Oh cool a Star Wars thread!

Any ways, I never got too much into the Extended Universe so I don't know much about Thrawn, is he as badass as everyone says he is?

Are the new books completely changing his story?

We don't know yet since his first appearance in the new books will be the upcoming one. So far he's been absent, but it looks like his backstory will be fairly similar. All the stuff in Rebels is totally new but much smaller scale than his grandiose EU actions.

We don't know yet since his first appearance in the new books will be the upcoming one. So far he's been absent, but it looks like his backstory will be fairly similar. All the stuff in Rebels is totally new but much smaller scale than his grandiose EU actions.

Then I guess I'll have to buy the book and find for myself firsthand, that Barnes and Noble cover looks sweet as hell.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The theory in the comments, that Snoke may be dead and communicating from inside of a Dark Side Holocron is actually a pretty good one.

Teggy

Finished Clone Wars! Some pretty big revelations at the end.

Somehow I am missing almost the entire of season 1 Rebels on my TiVo - don't know what happened :/ I have all of season 2 and 3.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
do you exist in this thread just to driveby hate everything?

No, and if you would have spent more time in this thread you would know better :)

Also, note to myself: Put Smileys and /s tags on everything, even when everyone in your community thread should know its a fucking joke.

Top Bottom