• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

I didn't think I sucked this much at computers, but I swear it is tiny and doesn't zoom in.

Weird.
SMLegionOrg.jpg

Enosh

Thank you. I though the divisions into chapters didn't happen until after the heresy and such.
it is a bit more of a recent fluff a necessity because they increased the size of the legions around the time FW started doing their HH thing, if you read the earlier books they are just talking about companies just like chapters in 40k are divided into (usually) 10 companies and the average legion was about 10k marines

then they decided to basically x10 all the numbers because 10k per legion was just too few and now most are 100k+ marines (ultras for example were 250k)

so they threw in the whole chapters thing since just having companies would either result in crazy big companies or way too many of them

Played my first real game today. 2v2. Had a great time. It was kind of a dick move, but I don't mind since I am new and suck...The 2 I was against was expecting me to play my Primaris Marines, but my ally had an Imperial Knight I asked him to bring so I could use it. I've really wanted one, so wanted to give him a go. Murdered a guy's Riptide pretty quick with it.

This game settled it for me that I really don't like managing a lot of smaller units. I'd prefer to play with just a few larger guys. Just trying to figure out what now...Stuff with lots of AP, preferably. I'm willing to trade off for it.

Also, it seems nuts that one whole team can go first before the other, instead of maybe one unit on one side. My ally and I went first, and with some very lucky rolls, we really tore into other guy's army before they had a chance to do anything.

EYEL1NER

When my daughter's school let out at the beginning of last month, I kind of started slacking on my reading. I was making great headway through the Gaunt's Ghosts series too. I would usually read after letting her out in the school parking lot in the morning; the parking lot is a madhouse, so ever since a woman backed across multiple spaces and hit my car back in Feb I started sitting there in the car reading and listening to music for an extra half hour or sometimes more while the parking lot empties. My infant son was usually asleep at home with the wife too, so I figured I'd get some quite reading in while also not getting back in the door and disturbing their sleep and waking them both. But like I said, school let out and that went out the window. I did get some reading in on the book I was to start when school let out, Traitor General, during a dentist appt for my daughter some weeks ago but that was it.
Friday I had to get some new tires put on the car and I knew the place I took it would take forever, so I took Traitor General in and resumed where I left off. I knocked out a huge chunk of it and then would up polishing it off today. It was really interesting to see the working of a captured world, how travel is restricted, the resistance is hidden, and the taint of chaos slowly infects everything and everyone. This is definitely a big switch with it being a small team and not all of the Ghosts (and everyone lived through this one too!) but every big so far has had a different theme and different setting. This one is almost wildly different but once again, I am eager to start the next one to see where it takes old Ibram and the gang. I need to get a job again at some point, so I can have lunch breaks that I can read during and stuff. I'm saving the HH series for when that happens.

I love this Chaplain!
40kPreviewJuly23_Chaplain8h.jpg

The Primaris Chaplain is the latest imposing iteration of a classic Space Marine hero. His Mk X power armour has been decorated with the symbols of his office, including a grim-looking skull mask and a spiky iron halo. In one hand, he carries his signature crozius arcanum, while the other wields a high-calibre absolver bolt pistol – this is no mere sidearm, but a pretty nasty weapon in its own right. The Primaris Chaplain is naturally a brutal melee combatant and can drive Space Marines into a killing frenzy; we think he makes a nice companion, visually and tactically, to the Primaris Reivers.

Apothecary:
40kPreviewJuly23_Apothecary2n.jpg

The Primaris Apothecary is a key support character for the Space Marines, and you’ll want one in your army to make the most out of your other units. The Primaris Apothecary can heal your multi-wound models, and even bring casualties back to the fight – this is great for your more elite infantry. The Apothecary model is packed with detail: vials containing the gene-seed of his brethren, advanced medical equipment and a reductor pistol. The reductor is designed to punch through Space Marine armour quickly and cleanly; in a pinch it can do much the same to the skull of a rampaging Ork Warlord and is a pretty nifty offensive weapon. (FYI – if you were wondering who the dead Space Marine was from the June 14th Rumour Engine, he’s from this model’s base.)

Repulsor:
40kArmouredSoul.jpg
GWPreOrderJuly22-RepulsorDetails7z.jpg

The Repulsor is a brutal battle tank, an armoured firebase as much as a transport. To call this a skimmer would do it a disservice; the Repulsor grinds forward on a thrumming wave of force supporting a hull nearly as durable as the Land Raider. Offensively, the Repulsor can be equipped with a dizzying array of weaponry: gatling cannons, las-weapons, bolters, grenade launchers and rocket pods, while defensively, auto launchers confuse incoming fire while the repulsor field makes the tank harder to charge. This would be a threatening vehicle if it was just a battle tank, but it’s also capable of carrying a deadly cargo of 10 Primaris Space Marines into battle. Aggressors and other close-support units will particularly benefit from new deployment options like the Repulsor.
https://www.warhammer-community.com...ace-marines-preview-july23gw-homepage-post-1/

Leunam

Man, at first I was sure GW was not going to phase out classic Marines in favor of primaris boys, but the more models they release the less convinced I am. I'm familiar with all the arguments for why they won't but it's hard to shake that feeling.

Some fluff spoilers from Bolter and Chainsword user.
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/337032-space-marines-8th-edition-leaks-fluff-updates/
I managed to get a glimpse at the fluff section from 8th Edition and here's what I managed to glean from it. Apologies if the info is fragmentary.

Ultramarines:

-The 2nd Company is now commanded by Captain Acheron since Cato Sicarius was sent away to be part of Guilliman's Victrix Guard. Captain Sicarius was lost in the warp at the start of the Indomitus Crusade. (He does return in Dark Imperium which is set afterwards, but he still remains with the Victrix Guard).

-The other Company Captains have all nearly not really changed and are very much alive. Captain Fabian is still commanding the 3rd, Ventris the 4th, Galenus the 5th and Numitor the 8th

-After the Plague Wars ended with Mortarion escaping, Guilliman spent some time in Ultramar leading the reconstruction, fortification and rebuilding efforts before having to leave again for other parts of the Imperium.

-The Ultramarines then go on something called the "Vengeance Campaigns" where they leave Ultramar and attempt to take back demon worlds while also handling an Ork WAAAGH. They take back 3 of the 7 demon worlds but the fate of the rest of the planets are unknown.

White Scars:

-The White Scars are badly depleted by the renewed Chaos invasions due to the rift opening but the Indomitus Crusade shows up and delivers their Primaris reinforcements, saving the Chapter.

-They then launch a vengeful campaign against the Red Corsairs, attacking and boarding a major Space Station siezed by Huron Blackheart. The Chapter Master of the White Scars, Jubal Khan, and his honor guard fight their way to the heart of the structure when its plasma reactors blow, the strike force becomes trapped in the exploding structure. The fate of the WS Chapter Master and his honour guard are unknown.

Imperial Fists:

-Seeking revenge for the attack on the Phalanx, the Imperial Fists launch an invasion of the Iron Warrior's newly fortified world of Ironhold (original). Aided by several Knight Houses, they win and defeat their arch-rivals, taking the planet for the Imperium.

Black Templars:

-When the Great Rift opened, a horde of traitor forces began targeting Imperial Shrine Worlds for destruction, led by the Word Bearers. The Black Templars commit themselves to defending these holy places from the traitor marines and several crusades are launched to drive the traitors back. The BT take heavy losses but hold the line against the enemy.

-The Black Templars are called upon to put down a rebellion on a planet. As they fight they discover that the enemy is managing to put more soldiers on the field faster than they can kill them. Realizing the planet was damned as most of its population was turning against them, the BT are forced to exterminate the entire population to put an end to the threat.

Salamanders:

-A Bloodthirster named Khar'kul leads his demonic forces into a Hive World, slaughtering anyone in his way. The Salamanders deploy in Chapter Strength and overcome this enemy with the use of massed Aggressor squads equipped with flamers.

Iron hands:

-When the Great Rift opened, Medusa came under a massive attack by the forces of Chaos. However, the Iron Hands manage to hold the line and eventually the traitors retreat from the planet, leaving behind a battered Chapter.

-The Great Rift that engulfed most of the Space around them now receded, leaving behind planets tainted by Chaos. The Iron Hands launched a brutal "Scorched Earth Crusade" that cleanses these heavily populated worlds from the taint but leaves them in ruins.

-The Iron Hands discover a possible pathway through the Great Rift, back to the other side of the Imperium that is guarded by the forces of Chaos and several renegade warbands. They launch a massive attack on this site and defeat the traitors in battle but just as they are about to reach the pathway, the renegades detonate their charges and destroy the portals. (This is starting to be a recurring theme)

-They then join something known as the Stygian Crusade along other Imperial forces where they make great gains at first but are forced to retreat under relenting pressure.

Maledict

It's beginning to feel like Space Marines have the same magic as High Elves in warhammer. No matter their losses there's always more of them, and even though losing a 100 marines should be a staggering blow against a chapter that only has 1000 men in it there's always enough just round the corner for the next fight.

Some of these chapters should be on their knees right now. They're failing to create a sense of desperation for the Imperium because no-ones chapter is allowed to fall over, even temporarily. I mean, the ultramarines should basically be extinct at this point!

It's beginning to feel like Space Marines have the same magic as High Elves in warhammer. No matter their losses there's always more of them, and even though losing a 100 marines should be a staggering blow against a chapter that only has 1000 men in it there's always enough just round the corner for the next fight.

Some of these chapters should be on their knees right now. They're failing to create a sense of desperation for the Imperium because no-ones chapter is allowed to fall over, even temporarily. I mean, the ultramarines should basically be extinct at this point!
If you questioned that one thing about numbers, then you should be asking a lot about how Imperium gets it's numbers overall.

cntr

Banned
To be fair, the Imperium has a lot of people, it doesn't take that long to make a Space Marine, and the series tends to gloss over huge timescales.

Tacitus_

Gman had some super marines put on ice and they're thawing those for reinforcements. So at least these are justified in-universe.

Before I try Ebay...anyone interested in my Death Guard guys from the 8th edition starter? Finally decided I am never going to use them after gluing them together and priming. Rather sell and clear out clutter instead of letting them gather dust.

barik

Before I try Ebay...anyone interested in my Death Guard guys from the 8th edition starter? Finally decided I am never going to use them after gluing them together and priming. Rather sell and clear out clutter instead of letting them gather dust.

Are you in the EU by any chance?

Bradach

Does anyone here know of an excel list of all units and their power point rating?
I'm looking for something that I can just create a pivot table form to easily power point up my armies.

Wanna hear some crazy shite? My friend is still scouring for a Baneblade. He getting desperate. We found someone on Ebay that just put up 10 of them! I'm thinking "Wow, that is crazy!" And a decent price too. Then we read that the seller uses dropship. I read what dropship means, and it pretty much means they don't actually keep the item in stock, but that they will place the order themselves and get it from the manufacturer right to you or some crap. I think "Well, that surely means they are buying from Game Workshop, who is out of stock right now." So I sent a message to the Ebay person stating that my friend wanted to buy one, but we're nervous because GW is out of stock, and we're not confident they actually have any to send us. I get this back from the seller:

Hi there,

We are a brick and mortar store location, and in the process of updating our ebay to a full store. Online, and Retail all get their stock from different distributors, which is why we are able to offer these items. So some items we will have directly in stock, and others we can get in a few days turn around, through drop shipping. So getting this item is no problem, which is why we are offering it.

That last sentence sounds damn confident, right? So my friend purchased. Guess what? He got a message from seller today that the Baneblade is on back order. He canceled that shit immediately. I was half-tempted to find their store on google and leave a negative review, but I'll move on.

Are you in the EU by any chance?
I'm not. Sorry :(

FulgrimPalatine.jpg

Do all space marine adapt similar physical characteristics of their primarchs when they go through the transformation process?

in this cover you see Fulgrim, and then one of his men behind him carrying a staff has long white hair as well.

They're implanted with the genes of their Primarch, so yeah, probably.

I assume only certain things, but not entirely 1 to 1 transformation

for example Blood Angels don't have wings like Sanguinius, but i assume many have long blond hair like he did

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should buy to surround my Imperial Knight? He is going to be focal point of a 1500 point army, but I'm not sure if I want tanks, dreadnoughts, or what exactly as support. I just know he looks cool, so whether he is good or not, I'll be using him.

Anyone have any recommendations for what I should buy to surround my Imperial Knight? He is going to be focal point of a 1500 point army, but I'm not sure if I want tanks, dreadnoughts, or what exactly as support. I just know he looks cool, so whether he is good or not, I'll be using him.

Who will be your primary opponent?

Who will be your primary opponent?
Unfortunately, it is going to change here and there. But it seems my most common opponents are going to be a Space Marine (Salamander) and Tau army. Tau guy has big units like Riptides and some others I don't know name of. He brings drones along to protect them. Space Marine opponent uses dreadnoughts, a rhino, and a detachment of some marine unit guys he loves to get in your face, complete with flamers and some character unit with a mean spear.

cntr

Banned
I assume only certain things, but not entirely 1 to 1 transformation

for example Blood Angels don't have wings like Sanguinius, but i assume many have long blond hair like he did
Yeah since the wings were a warp mutation and not a natural part of him, they only get versions of his other traits.

But there's a lot of variation between chapters and individuals, of course, and the Blood Angels do inherit another psychically influenced flaw, the Red Thirst.

When Roboute goes into the Emperor's chamber in "Rise of the Primarch"

he comes out and says "i got everything i need"

I think it was complete silence and the realization that the Emperor is pretty much dead and truly gone, and that Roboute has to create a new future for the Imperium

cntr

Banned
When Roboute goes into the Emperor's chamber in "Rise of the Primarch"

he comes out and says "i got everything i need"

I think it was complete silence and the realization that the Emperor is pretty much dead and truly gone, and that Roboute has to create a new future for the Imperium

The Emperor can't be actually dead, because he runs the Astronomican. His mind might be dead by this point, but his soul must still exist.

The Emperor can't be actually dead, because he runs the Astronomican. His mind might be dead by this point, but his soul must still exist.

but wouldn't he be reborn if he dies..via the star child prophecy

isn't that what Cypher is trying to do "kill" the Emperor so he can be rise again

the wings are just a mutation of Chaos I believe
I don't think they are in the orginal gene code that goes into all of the space marine like what what happen to the Salamanders
but wouldn't he be reborn if he dies..via the star child prophecy

isn't that what Cypher is tryouts ng to do "kill" the Emperor so he can be rise again
We don't know what Cypher is trying to do with the Emperor. Roboute is worried about Cypher because he has the Lion's Sword.

Top Bottom