• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

Peltz

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but I've never really liked the Paper Mario series and always felt like it was a waste of IS's talent.

I love Paper Mario's art style though. It'll make for some great screenshots in HD.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I will buy if no stickers are in this game

I think this is a bit narrow-minded.

While Sticker Star's implementation of the Stickers was less than stellar, I don't think they are inherently a bad idea---I do think they pretty much do step-on-the-toes of Partners, and would make the latter redundant, so I understand people not liking them for that reason alone, but I still don't think Paper Mario necessarily needs Partners. A great, vibrant world full of colorful characters? Yes. But actually requiring said characters to join you? Not necessarily. I'm all for the team giving "Stickers" another shot, with some changes---

Biggest issue was not a good risk/reward system...Stickers were too plentiful, and thus there wasn't any tension. I think a good start would be too reduce the amount of stickers available, make them harder to come across the useful ones. I'd probably rather than doing the "use one, it's gone" method, make weaker ones multi-use, while stronger ones are limited, thus there'd be more of a decision involved as to what to use. In Sticker Star, I felt there really wasn't much point to holding onto the best ones. I'd make Stickers the reward for battling more than they were, to give battles a bigger purpose---I'd also bring back Leveling Up, to increase Mario's HP, as well as perhaps what Lv. Stickers he could use or something along those lines.

I'd also spice Stickers up a bit---if we don't have Partners, well, why not make more Stickers based around summoning enemies to attack for Mario? Maybe make that a bigger focus, with Mario having a way to "capture" enemies and turn into stickers like a lite-Pokemon? Hell, maybe include the old Partners as special rare Stickers, or other Mario cameos? I'd like that.

Point is, I think the idea of Stickers was actually really cool and when Sticker Star was announced I was excited as it looked like it might be a game along the lines of Baten Kaitos. Now, it failed to live up to that expectation, but I'm easily willing to give Intelligent Systems another chance---since I loved Super Paper Mario, to me, that's the only bump in the road.

Chastten

Banned
I really hope this isn't true. I have no interest in this game at all. Even if Project Steam didn't suck, which it did, I would still have no interest in this game. I played Paper Mario before, but I just don't see the appeal of it. Obviously, a lot of people love the series, but to me, they seems like games made for children. And I haven't been one of those in a very long time.

Sooo... what should they be doing then? I doubt this team could make a game that would appeal to you if you think Paper Mario is 'childish'. :p

This is a rumour from a few days ago? How did I miss this? Would be nice if true and if it's done right. Is there anything disproving this rumour yet?

J@hranimo

Banned
This is a rumour from a few days ago? How did I miss this? Would be nice if true and if it's done right. Is there anything disproving this rumour yet?

Not really. Then again, there isn't much to go on to believe it either but it is fun to think of a possible REAL Paper Mario game!

Also the thread went to what PM game is not as worse as the other lol. We'll truly know in a months time.

Shojx

I think this is a bit narrow-minded.

While Sticker Star's implementation of the Stickers was less than stellar, I don't think they are inherently a bad idea---I do think they pretty much do step-on-the-toes of Partners, and would make the latter redundant, so I understand people not liking them for that reason alone, but I still don't think Paper Mario necessarily needs Partners. A great, vibrant world full of colorful characters? Yes. But actually requiring said characters to join you? Not necessarily. I'm all for the team giving "Stickers" another shot, with some changes---

Biggest issue was not a good risk/reward system...Stickers were too plentiful, and thus there wasn't any tension. I think a good start would be too reduce the amount of stickers available, make them harder to come across the useful ones. I'd probably rather than doing the "use one, it's gone" method, make weaker ones multi-use, while stronger ones are limited, thus there'd be more of a decision involved as to what to use. In Sticker Star, I felt there really wasn't much point to holding onto the best ones. I'd make Stickers the reward for battling more than they were, to give battles a bigger purpose---I'd also bring back Leveling Up, to increase Mario's HP, as well as perhaps what Lv. Stickers he could use or something along those lines.

I'd also spice Stickers up a bit---if we don't have Partners, well, why not make more Stickers based around summoning enemies to attack for Mario? Maybe make that a bigger focus, with Mario having a way to "capture" enemies and turn into stickers like a lite-Pokemon? Hell, maybe include the old Partners as special rare Stickers, or other Mario cameos? I'd like that.

Point is, I think the idea of Stickers was actually really cool and when Sticker Star was announced I was excited as it looked like it might be a game along the lines of Baten Kaitos. Now, it failed to live up to that expectation, but I'm easily willing to give Intelligent Systems another chance---since I loved Super Paper Mario, to me, that's the only bump in the road.

I appreciate your ideas on expanding (and improving) the sticker function, but I disagree with using them. Partners are one element I really loved from Paper Mario and TTYD, and the one thing I missed the most in Sticker Star. I liked the idea of exploring the world and befriending these partners throughout Mario's adventure. They usually weren't especially relevant to the story outside of their respective "level" or area, but they were cute, and added a little depth to the battle system. I do think they could stand to improve the partner system a bit, as there were a couple partners I ended up "neglecting" due to the superiority of other partners in battle.

But yeah, to me, stickers were a gimmick and not something I want to feature in the next game, certainly not at the expense of partners. I think your ideas are good, but to me sound more of like "what they should have done" rather than "what they should do next".

Make another Super Paper Mario, but replace the real-time conflicts with turn-based battles, which are in and of itself improved from TTYD somehow.

Keep the audience system, make it much more deep. Have audience-exclusive helpers in addition to the usual stable of party members (Who retain full independence from TTYD). Have Luigi occasionally pop up from the audience to lend a helping boot to Mario and friends once in a while, just to name one example.

bring back the Glitzville concept but instead of forcing it into one chapter, spread it out between chapters instead, thus giving players something more interesting to do inbetween chapters. Maybe have certain key items be prizes or something. Would be a great time to bring back fan-favorites from past Paper Mario games as returning adversaries or post-game superbosses. Rawk Hawk, Dimentio, and the like.

Expand on the Boots and Hammer system. Instead of just being Super -> Ultra, why not diversify a bit and have the boot upgrades go like Normal -> Anvil -> Cyclone, which would still match up with their previous abilities, except giving them more flair (And potential for expansion, such as wind-based puzzles with cyclone or weight puzzles with anvil), and for Hammers expand on the spin mechanic and also being able to shake the ground more. And for the love of god, make it so the strongest hammer can still flip star piece panels. That was an annoying exclusion going from 64 to TTYD.

Shiggy

Do we know more about IS team structure? In 2013, they had 130 employees, but based on their recent output, I guess they grew quite a bit.

Digital: Eco Shooter, Pullblox, Fullblox
Fire Emblem & Advance Wars - working on new Fire Emblem for 3DS
Paper Mario series
Wario series
Codename Steam

All seem to have different directors, with the Codename Steam staff coming both from the Fire Emblem and Paper Mario teams.

I think we could see a new Paper Mario game. That team as well as the Wario team have not released anything recently. Similarly, the Codename Steam team would have been free for over a year (I would assume that the team is split up to help on Fire Emblem 3DS and Paper Mario U now).

Top Bottom