• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headset that will work on PS4 and Xbox One.

LoveCake

I am after a headset that will work on my regular PS4 and original Xbox One, mainly to use on Rainbox Six Siege and Forza 7.

I have a full surround sound system at the moment (PS4 and Xbox One connected via HDMI) so when playing multiplayer I will be using the headset, or is there a way to have the headset and just use the microphone and have the chat coming through the surround sound system?

I suppose I would need surround sound headphones, I don't want to spend a fortune, less that £100 would be good.

I don't know if wired or wireless is better, wired I would think, I have had a look about but I don't know much about headsets at all.

Ravelle

The Hyper X Cloud headphones are fantastic and compfy headphones that are decently priced that work on PC, PS4 and Xbox! Just be sure it's a 3.5mm jack and plug it in your controller.

HyperX cloud II are the best headset at $100 or under, and also are some of the best headphones you can get at that price point as well. They are fantastic on both consoles.

I do not understand why so many people recommend the hyper x cloud 2 when the 7.1 surround doesn't work and you can't use the remote. It's a good pc headset. Literally wasting money on features you can't use on a ps4.

I'm using the Sennheiser Game Ones with a mix amp pro. Definitely not sub $100, but I really really like them.

I had nothing but problems with the Hyper X Cloud IIs that I had previously, which forced my hand into dumping a few extra dollars on the headset.

LoveCake

No. Just plug into the controller. The adapter is required for the 2013-2014 controller models and optional on later ones, but it does offer volume/mute control and mixing buttons if the headset doesn't. Any 3.5mm set works.

I have the Sunset Overdrive Xbox one with the white controller, there is no 3.5mm jack/hole on my controller at all.

I do not understand why so many people recommend the hyper x cloud 2 when the 7.1 surround doesn't work and you can't use the remote. It's a good pc headset. Literally wasting money on features you can't use on a ps4.

Would I get the virtual surround sound on the Turtle Beach PX24?

Jolkien

Because even with stereo only the sound quality is excellent for it's price and the mic is very good as well.

And most important of all it's by far the most comfortable headset I used for long periods of time.

Because even with stereo only the sound quality is excellent for it's price and the mic is very good as well.

And most important of all it's by far the most comfortable headset I used for long periods of time.

I'll give you the comfort part but the sound quality is definitely not worth the price imo. If you really care about sound quality or like to sound whore in competitive shooters, I wouldn't purchase these for ps4.

I use a wired set of Astro a50s (bought just after launch of the PS4) connected to an optical switch, and just use the remote to flip the connection as needed.

Also have my Surface Pro connected to the amp, for custom music (from before you could do it on consoles, and still easier and more reliable) and podcasts.

Solid quality and zero issues.

Jolkien

I'll give you the comfort part but the sound quality is definitely not worth the price imo. If you really care about sound quality or like to sound whore in competitive shooters, I wouldn't purchase these for ps4.

I'll gladly take your recommendation for a better headset, with a mic at 114$ or under, because that's what I paid for my pair. And the mic need to be removeable if possible.

I use a wired set of Astro a50s (bought just after launch of the PS4) connected to an optical switch, and just use the remote to flip the connection as needed.

Also have my Surface Pro connected to the amp, for custom music (from before you could do it on consoles, and still easier and more reliable) and podcasts.

Solid quality and zero issues.

How do you connect your SP to the amp?

KageMaru

I have been looking at Turtle Beach PX24 I have a 3.5mm jack on my PS4 controller but cannot find one on my Xbox One controller.

I wouldn't recommend the PX24. While the sound quality is decent, the build quality is crap.

I have the lucidsound ls40 and I love it. Works great on the PS4, Xbox, and PC. You only need to use the cable for the Xbox if you plan to chat. If you're just listening then it's completely wireless.

How do you connect your SP to the amp?
Pretty sure there's a daisy chain or PC out port on the amp I use.

I'm an idiot when it comes to hardware so I'm not even sure what to call the cable. Its the skinny, normal audio cable. 3.5mm?

Just checked the Astros site and I'm definitely using some old generation gear (from 2014). Looks like they're all wireless now.

LoveCake

Looking on Amazon there seems to be a high percentage of buyers that don't like all of the headsets, those Astro ones are way out of the price I want to spend.

I am now more confused than I was before, many say they are surround sound but then on reading the small-print they are only surround sound on a PC, then people are saying that it's not good to use the audio from the controller/gamepad, there seems to be a huge amount of options for headsets but none of them seem to tick all the boxes.

I am at a loss, I thought that the PS4 controller allowed you to chat to people but it doesn't, it seems to be more complicated getting voice chat on PS4 and Xbox One than it is on a Switch.

Jolkien

Looking on Amazon there seems to be a high percentage of buyers that don't like all of the headsets, those Astro ones are way out of the price I want to spend.

I am now more confused than I was before, many say they are surround sound but then on reading the small-print they are only surround sound on a PC, then people are saying that it's not good to use the audio from the controller/gamepad, there seems to be a huge amount of options for headsets but none of them seem to tick all the boxes.

I am at a loss, I thought that the PS4 controller allowed you to chat to people but it doesn't, it seems to be more complicated getting voice chat on PS4 and Xbox One than it is on a Switch.

?? You need a headset with a microphone and you plug it in the 3.5mm jack on the Dualshock 4. How can that be complicated ?

Pretty sure there's a daisy chain or PC out port on the amp I use.

I'm an idiot when it comes to hardware so I'm not even sure what to call the cable. Its the skinny, normal audio cable. 3.5mm?

Just checked the Astros site and I'm definitely using some old generation gear (from 2014). Looks like they're all wireless now.

Yeah they're all wireless now. Mine has the 3.5mm port but it's noisy/static when I connect my Surface to it.

LoveCake

I have been looking about and I have found this.
Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0

Amazon link

then if I get

Turtle Beach Chat Cable for PlayStation 4 Headset Compatibility

Required because of this playstation wireless stereo headset 2.0 mic not working with xbox one

to connect into

Official Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter

Will I be able to use this headset in virtual surround sound on my PS4 but just stereo on Xbox One?

I will only be using it for Forza games on my Xbox One, I will mostly be using it on my PS4 for Rainbow Six Siege and other games.

The 7.1 works on PS4 via usb. Also the Cloud II's drivers are tuned slightly better than the Cloud I.

The Cloud X or whatever the branded Xbox variant is works too, and might be cheaper. Still my recommendation.

notacat

I just use a generic "gamer" headset. Had two plugs, one for headphones and the other for the mic.

With the PS4, I just bought a Y cable from monoprice to hook to the controller, works great.

LoveCake

Both PS4 and Xbox One have a optical output, is there such a headset that connects via a hub (maybe) to a headset that is compatible with both PS4 and Xbox One to get surround sound that is under or close to £100, I have been looking and cannot find anything, other then surround sound headsets that only work with one console or the other and/or PC.

Hmm, I have been chatting with support a Steel-series, can somebody confirm this?

*Vincent Jacobs
11:03 pm
Hi. How can I help you?

*Visitor
Is there a headset that will work with both PS4 and Xbox One that will give surround sound?

*Vincent Jacobs
Thanks for the chat!
Please give me a second to look this over.

*Visitor
ok

*Vincent Jacobs
Thanks for waiting. Our Arctis headsets is compatible both PS4 and Xbox one. They are in surround sound.
You can check it here https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets
Gaming Headsets for PC, PS4, Xbox, Mac & Wireless | SteelSeries
Award-winning gaming headsets for PC, Mac, Xbox, PS4, and mobile. The Arctis line features 7.1 Surround, the best mic in gaming, and unmatched comfort.

*Visitor
it says that they are only in surround sound on windows 7+ though

*Vincent Jacobs
They are also for consoles.

*Visitor
so the Arctis 3 will output in surround sound via the 3.5mm on PS4 and Xbox One?
Read

*Vincent Jacobs
Yes. That is correct.

75AZgHT.png

Vincent Jacobs is a liar, but both will work in stereo on the PS4 and Xbone via the 3.mm port on the controllers. Stay away from surround sound headsets as they're mostly trash. A decent pair of stereo headphones is more than enough. Open or closed headphones with a detachable cable + Vmoda BoomPro may be your best bet.

Both PS4 and Xbox One have a optical output, is there such a headset that connects via a hub (maybe) to a headset that is compatible with both PS4 and Xbox One to get surround sound that is under or close to £100, I have been looking and cannot find anything, other then surround sound headsets that only work with one console or the other and/or PC.

PS4 Slim does not have an optical output! If you're buying a new PS4, you must get a Pro for optical out.

LoveCake

PS4 Slim does not have an optical output! If you're buying a new PS4, you must get a Pro for optical out.

My original PS4 has a optical output.

Vincent Jacobs is a liar, but both will work in stereo on the PS4 and Xbone via the 3.mm port on the controllers. Stay away from surround sound headsets as they're mostly trash. A decent pair of stereo headphones is more than enough. Open or closed headphones with a detachable cable + Vmoda BoomPro may be your best bet.

Isn't surround better for FPS though?

I have a 5.1 amp currently so I don't want to loose this by having a headset for multiplayer.

Will I be able to use this headset in virtual surround sound on my PS4 but just stereo on Xbox One?

I will only be using it for Forza games on my Xbox One, I will mostly be using it on my PS4 for Rainbow Six Siege and other games.

Xbox One consoles all have built-in and free Windows Sonic HRTF virtual surround for anything above stereo sound sources. You could optionally pay $15 for Atmos signal processing, too. Either works with any stereo headset once selected in the system audio settings.

Isn't surround better for FPS though?

I have a 5.1 amp currently so I don't want to loose this by having a headset for multiplayer.

Not in my experience with Dolby Headphone and DTS:X. You still have only 2 ears, and most games do a good job with their stereo mixing.

Atmos may be the thing that changes my opinion on surround sound for headphones, but I would need more time with it in a game setting to make any claims.

Are the lower tier Logitechs any good? I think I can grab the Logitech G430 for $30 but y'know, always kinda wary of low priced ones.

Astro A10s are really good for the price, really good mic too.
Cost £55/$60.

I looked at these, does the flip for mute work well? I worry about the constant moving of the mic would eventually cause it to break or loosen up.

LoveCake

A lot of people are suggesting that I buy the Hyper X Cloud headsets, but they are only surround sound on PC, I don't have a PC that plays games, I want a surround headset for Xbox One and PS4 for less than £100.

I honestly cannot understand why no manufacturer has been able to create a headset that will work with both consoles via optical, USB or 3.5mm jack for a decent price, I am sorry but I am getting quite frustrated now in my search, I really do not want to go from my full surround set-up to stereo with a headset where its important in FPS games to hear where somebody else is.

The guy from Steel-series obviously lied to me as well.

LoveCake

Hyperx Cloud 2 or SteelSeries Arctis 3 or 5

They are not surround sound on consoles.

Could I use the mono headset for the PS4 and Xbox One and just use the microphone and then carry on using my surround sound set-up? (I cannot find the ones that came with my consoles so will have to buy replacements but they are less than £10 each).

I think the G933 would do it. I have them for PC but I know it has a few different ways of connecting. There is even a 3.5mm jack on the USB dongle to make that source wireless. Its cool to plug the phone up and take phone calls while you are playing a game with the same headset.

Top Bottom