• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

Sojiro

Btw any mention of gyro aiming? So far I have only seen the Gamespot video and I don't believe they mentioned it. I would love to see gyro aiming as an option in this and wolf 2.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Btw any mention of gyro aiming? So far I have only seen the Gamespot video and I don't believe they mentioned it. I would love to see gyro aiming as an option in this and wolf 2.

No gyro options according to Gamexplain.

Also the thread is quite small and a search function exists, it's that difficult to find an answer to a question already answered several times?

nynt9

Gyro aiming is possible on PS4 as well and considering that version didn’t have it I wouldn’t bet on it.

Paragon

I can't tell the different between 30 vs 60 FPS at all which is why I don't understand the out cry because it's not at 60 FPS from some users.
Because most people can, and because it's one of the few AAA console games that targets 60 on PS4/XB1.
After watching the Digital Foundry video it's pretty clear why this is 30 rather than 60, but it's still impressive for a handheld system that you can play anywhere - even if that's not how I want to play the game.

jett

D-Member
Just realized these two Doom threads have provided ample material for Jim Sterling's next Commentocracy.

Also the thread is quite small and a search function exists, it's that difficult to find an answer to a question already answered several times?

snooty-hedge-fund-investor.gif

That's worse news than the 30 fps one. Hopefully we've not seen all yet, because gyro aiming would be fantastic.

Agreed! I feel like full gyro aiming with the option to fully aim with the sticks, or full gyro with partial stick aim (one axis like Splatoon 2) would be fantastic for an FPS like this. I'll still get the game with or without it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want that in every FPS and TPS on Switch.

FN-2187

Really impressive stuff. If I cared about portable gaming at all, ports like this would get me to buy a Switch for sure.

30 FPS stings but the accessibility more than makes up for it. Better than the forced updates on PS4 that I would guess are approaching 50 GB (?) now.

Effect

Yeah I'm buying this. This is pretty damn good. I have the PC copy but I've never gotten around to finishing it and I would like this portable in some fashion.

Because most people can, and because it's one of the few AAA console games that targets 60 on PS4/XB1.
After watching the Digital Foundry video it's pretty clear why this is 30 rather than 60, but it's still impressive for a handheld system that you can play anywhere - even if that's not how I want to play the game.

I wonder how many FPS we move in real life. 🤔 Point I was trying to make was that from the video I saw it was fast and smooth not like Dragon Age Origins which was slow and choppy. (Yes that's the only comparison I can think of to make right now) if the 60 FPS is that important to some users let's wait and see how it looks docked.

War3190

Neo Member
I am impressed by what the developer was able to do on such a small handheld. They did a great job on the port.

ozfunghi

The guys at GameXplain said something about not even seeing if it was 30 or 60fps at first... but they did see it dip below 30? So, they can't see the difference between 30 and 60, but they can see that it goes below 30...

If you didn't want to answer, nobody was twisting your arm. On the other hand i'm glad you did, because even though it has been mentioned earlier in the thread supposedly, i had not seen it and i wasn't about to start reading the entire thread either. Also, it was a question i didn't think of asking right now, even though i wanted to know. So thanks for that guy posing the question AGAIN, and thank you for going through all this excruciating trouble of answering the question... AGAIN.

erikNORML

Neo Member
This looks great. Very impressed. All of the hands-on seemed to be impressed too...GAF on the other hand tells me games are unplayable at 30fps *shrugs* Would 60 be nice? Sure obviously, but as long as the frame rate holds pretty stable at 30fps, I can't see myself caring that much.

As someone who dumped a ton of hours into the PC version running on jacked up settings at 60fps, I can't be more excited for this game.

DOOM in bed, DOOM on the toilet, DOOM on the bus. What a time to be alive.

Gyro aiming is possible on PS4 as well and considering that version didn't have it I wouldn't bet on it.

Does the PS4 version of Skyrim have gyro aiming? 'Cause the Switch version does. That's why people were hopeful for this port to have it as well.

But Bethesda reps have apparently confirmed this version won't have it.

Sojiro

Sorry dad, i'll refrain from asking questions in the future.

To everyone else, thanks, sucks there is no gyro support :(.

Takat

I really hope they will patch in gyro aiming, I really can't do it with dual sticks... I'll buy it in a hearbeat :) Looks great.

Obviously you wouldn't want to play it on the Switch if you could play it anywhere else (just as you wouldn't play the PS4/XB1 versions if you had the ability to play it on PC), but it seems fine and playable enough, and the novelty of it running on a handheld is undeniable.

As someone who once had a lengthy commute as the only free time I really had to play video games, I appreciate how big a deal it is to have 'proper' games like this on the go, even if they're not the best versions available.

Top Bottom