• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

It's running ios9, so its literally just a bigger iPad

Absolutely useless in the professional world

and also the normal world

An ARM tablet that doesn't run OSX or Windows has sold over 250 million units because its useless in the professional world and the normal world?

Who's supplying the pen + digitizer? Since it has a battery it's obviously not Wacom. Would be pretty funny if it's N-trig (i.e. Microsoft).

There's Toshiba tablet which uses a new wacom pen that has the same tech as ntrig, this could be it.

Though , I'm not sure if that had a tilt sensor.

golem

Unless the Surface Pro 4 is super impressive, im going to ditch my SP3 for this. Windows 10 just doesnt cut it as a tablet OS.

Kahoona

I hope Adobe plans to beef up their mobile apps for this. I could definitely see myself getting one for a better mobile version of Lightroom.

ViciousDS

Banned
What killed this for me was all that price and power and they decided to choose a mobile OS instead of os x......if the powers there give them the full fledge experience especially since this directly takes on the SP3 which has full windows. If it had OS X.....I would definitely be interested in getting one.

golem

I was looking at the Surface Pro. Was Windows 8 a better fit?

Far better functionally. Better battery life, better CPU utilization. Sleep settings actually work. Actual support for touch gestures in the browser (Yes, Microsoft shipped their brand new high tech browser without gestures! That the last one had!). On screen keyboard that actually pops up in all programs, not just Metro ones. Far fewer random ridiculous bugs (such as the Windows store completely disappearing on me, causing apps to stop launching. Also for some reason Windows 10 seems to forget my Outlook settings every 3 days.). Touch targets that are actually hittable and dont result in endless frustration (task view, WTF).

Elitist1945

Far better functionally. Better battery life, better CPU utilization. Sleep settings actually work. Actual support for touch gestures in the browser. On screen keyboard that actually pops up in all programs, not just Metro ones. Far fewer random ridiculous bugs (such as the Windows store completely disappearing on me, causing apps to stop launching. Also for some reason Windows 10 seems to forget my Outlook settings every 3 days.). Touch targets that are actually hittable and dont result in endless frustration (task view, WTF).

Well that's disappointing to here. I'd imagine all Surface Pros come with 10 by now, and not 8 huh.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Prices are absurd. $949-1079 for 128GB...
128GB of storage is nothing today.

Yeah, I also don't understand why they—ignoring the prices—don't even offer a 256GB version.

A $99 stylus sold separately that you can't store inside the ipad itself? wat? wat is this Apple?

It's not just a regular stylus. It's a pen with pressure sensitivity, a tilt sensor, and an internal battery. Similar pens for graphics tablets (for instance from Wacom) are in similar price ranges.

golem

Well that's disappointing to here. I'd imagine all Surface Pros come with 10 by now, and not 8 huh.

Yeah, they do. I'm sure everything will be ironed out eventually in Service Pack 12 or whatever, but the release of Windows 10 shows that touch is back to being an afterthought over at Microsoft.

sarcastor

even though I hate touchwiz, with android you can properly run widgets and take advantage of a 12.2" screen.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Pro-DSC05107-640x359.jpg

The Ipad pro is really just a giant Ipad. Couldn't they have a squeezed in another column/row or something?

12_9_ipad_ipads_light-800x450.jpg

strata8

Yeah, they do. I'm sure everything will be ironed out eventually in Service Pack 12 or whatever, but the release of Windows 10 shows that touch is back to being an afterthought over at Microsoft.

I think Windows 10 was released a bit early and maybe touch wasn't the highest priority. There's a big update coming in November close to the release of the SP4.

I even downgraded my laptop because it was losing 15% of the battery overnight vs. 2% with Windows 8.

golem

even though I hate touchwiz, with android you can properly run widgets and take advantage of a 12.2" screen.
If Windows got one thing right on touch, it's their side by side app functionality. It really works and is very useful. iOS9 will have this as well it seems.

I think Windows 10 was released a bit early and maybe touch wasn't the highest priority. There's a big update coming in November close to the release of the SP4.

I even downgraded my laptop because it was losing 15% of the battery overnight vs. 2% with Windows 8.

Yeah its crazy that I can walk away from my SP3 and come back to find its battery completely drained from 90% because hibernate didn't take. Insane.

Fret

If your an after effects user, why would you use it on a surface pro/iPad and not a laptop?

I use AE on my desktop PC, but that's not the point, the point is that extra functionality is there via windows or even osx, having a mobile os on something like this is just crazy to me

Futureman

for people thinking a pro digital artist can't use this, check out this Adobe software that is a year old at this point. Will be amazing with Apple Pencil and an update from Adobe.

Adobe Illustrator Draw iPhone to iOS to Mac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LTzbksUiU

I feel like this is pretty amazing for digital illustrators but maybe not so much for other uses.

Dead

well not really...yet
I have to say I was expecting Apple to come up with some kind of solution for storing the Stylus.

Nothing on that?

Akira

Whether the iPad Pro is a success or not, one thing is for sure: Apple Pencil is going to be a classic example of industrial design in the future.

golem

I have to say I was expecting Apple to come up with some kind of solution for storing the Stylus.

Nothing on that?

Microsoft includes an adhesive loop you can stick on the keyboard but I just carry the SP3 stylus around in my pocket or case when I take out my tablet. Dont need extra holes in my tablets.

Dead

well not really...yet
Microsoft includes an adhesive loop you can stick on the keyboard but I just carry the SP3 stylus around in my pocket or case when I take out my tablet. Dont need extra holes in my tablets.
Yeah I use the loop on the SP3 keyboard, but its not exactly elegant.

Seems like Apple didn't even bother trying to find a solution for this.

Yes

Call me when I can run After Effects on iOS

I don't use Adobe AE with non profit/government clients. Don't use it at home. I've personally never heard someone say they won't get an iPad or Android tab because it doesn't run After Effects. Is it suppose to be a big deal that people are waiting for?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'd be okay with starting with such little HD space if we could add our own sd card.

Apath

Unless the Surface Pro 4 is super impressive, im going to ditch my SP3 for this. Windows 10 just doesnt cut it as a tablet OS.
Surface is not very good as a pure tablet. That is probably the best way to look at it: iPad Pro for a tablet experience, Surface Pro for a laptop experience. I cannot imagine the Surface Pro 4 fitting your needs in any situation if you're looking to use the device as a tablet first and foremost.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Surface is not very good as a pure tablet. That is probably the best way to look at it: iPad Pro for a tablet experience, Surface Pro for a laptop experience. I cannot imagine the Surface Pro 4 fitting your needs in any situation if you're looking to use the device as a tablet first and foremost.

As a surface pro lover, I would definitely agree with this.

muu

I like my ipad mini for occasional note-taking. Lack of flexibility in its file system means I'm never going to use the thing as a straight up productivity device.

Far better functionally. Better battery life, better CPU utilization. Sleep settings actually work. Actual support for touch gestures in the browser (Yes, Microsoft shipped their brand new high tech browser without gestures! That the last one had!). On screen keyboard that actually pops up in all programs, not just Metro ones. Far fewer random ridiculous bugs (such as the Windows store completely disappearing on me, causing apps to stop launching. Also for some reason Windows 10 seems to forget my Outlook settings every 3 days.). Touch targets that are actually hittable and dont result in endless frustration (task view, WTF).

Don't forget that Windows 8 had stylus drivers that didn't shit themselves when waking up the Surface from sleep. My stylus is 100% is useless now.

Animator

An ARM tablet that doesn't run OSX or Windows has sold over 250 million units because its useless in the professional world and the normal world?

Yes it is as a pro device. This thing is about as useful as an asshole on an elbow for professionals. Content creation is getting more demanding every day. I need fast hardware that can run the apps I use not some ipad that can only run shitty ios apps.

golem

Surface on Win8.1 was a pretty decent tablet. As I said in previous posts, my main complaint is that Win10 feels like a step back in tablet functionality.

MrMephistoX

Here's some first impressions of the pencil by someone who seems to know what they're talking about. He also compares it with other stylus tech, such as Wacom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7pXLA2tm0

Gotta say, thats very promising.

Super excited for Pencil...from a note taking standpoint that will be huge. I've tried like every stylus on the planet and they're all crap. Plus that whole sense memory thing that gives paper note taking a huge over typing might actually solve itself. I just hope someone puts effort into a handwriting to typeface app now; I'm a much better writer on pen and paper but it's just so damn time consuming to type it out...

Not

Banned
Might be my first iPad. I'm seriously considering this guys. Better drawing functionality is what I was waiting for.

Top Bottom