• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

Who

Banned
I really want it for the comfort...

Dammit I'll still get one I just hope I don't try and instinctively try and use it all the time.

Mononoke

Banned
Smart move. A good way to phase out the CPP, encourage purchasing the n3DS and punish those who bought the CPP in the first place.

Might have been smart if the new 3ds was actually out for the holiday/smash release. I mean, I get that they have to get rid of old stock. But if you are going to do that, at least don't punish those for buying the old version of your system.

Hell, what about all those that have bought multiple 3ds already, and won't be getting a new 3ds. Lol fuck them. No circle pad pro support for you!

Laconic

Banned
I wanted Circle Pad Pro support because that would save my hands from dying, MH3U is really comfortable when I'm using a CPP.

I'm upgrading day one to the New3DS anyways, but damn that's lame.

I have MH3.

And a 3DS XL.

I'll get around to playing it when the "nub" version of the 3DS comes out, I guess. Tracking down and buying an XL CPP seems moot, now.

new5-220x.jpg

maybe this is why?

Thinking on this, the pieces kind of all fall into place... Though it's still pretty crappy if this is true since you could always take off the CPP to use it then replace it afterwards.

I will have to send my XL and New 3DS XL to Nintendo since I used up all my system transfers just so I can use the c-stick. Well crap.

Berordn

I will have to send my XL and New 3DS XL to Nintendo since I used up all my system transfers just so I can use the c-stick. Well crap.

Did you call them yet? That's usually something they can reset online.

Actually, didn't they get rid of the transfer limit?

Really disappointed in Nintendo for this. I was never going to buy one, but Smash Bros (starting with Brawl) always had tons and tons of control options, an Smash 4 looked like no exception. Hopefully they patch it in as a sign of good will

Did you call them yet? That's usually something they can reset online.

Actually, didn't they get rid of the transfer limit?

If they did I will be jumping a hole in the air. Because I'll be happy.

it's a Dutch saying.

I REALLY hope smash won't be BETTER on N3DS though.. like frameratewise.

it's a Dutch saying.

They've already confirmed that 3DS was 60, and I doubt they'd be so misleading as to mean only 60 on a console they weren't even close to announcing at that point

Who

Banned

it's a Dutch saying.

Lol wtf so if the 3DS version has subpar framerate due to hardware constraints you wouldn't want them to fix it and better optimize the game for the n3DS???

I don't even...

They've already confirmed that 3DS was 60, and I doubt they'd be so misleading as to mean only 60 on a console they weren't even close to announcing at that point

"Yes, 60FPS on 3DS.. we didn't say WHICH 3DS" And the trollboat continues on its course to trolltown.

BlackJace

Besides quick smash attacks, it also lets you fire off aerials in any direction without affecting your mid-air momentum, which is pretty big. The C-Stick sees a lot of use.

You can ignore it since a casual player probably doesn't need any of that and is probably just using it to fire off smashes, but it's important for high level play.

I see, thanks for sharing. Will there be a competitive scene for 3DS?

also

Banned
I remembered Sakurai talking about the inclusion of CCP support in Kid Icarus: Uprising. NOTE: Sakurai was kept in the dark about of the existence of the CCP and found out about it the same time as the general public did.

''Considering how close to the limit we pushed the 3DS during development, it's a miracle that we were even able to provide support for left-handed controls at the point of completion. Providing support for independent analog control was something that was technically impossible.''

Smash is really pushing the 3DS so Sakurai most likely didn't want to spend any processing power on CCP's support. N3DS' nub is probably only supported because it's integrated in the system and requires no extra resources.
That's only speculation so Nintendo could very well be screwing 3DS owners over to push them to upgrade.

Now I'm concerned about MH4G/U.

I really was hoping to use mine for both smash and monhun.

Don't be. They announced a new version of the CCP, so support is guaranteed.

Velcro Fly

i thought they removed the limit of 5 a long time ago? Is it back now?

edit: Yeah it's been gone since last December. So transfer away!

Yasumi

Banned
This is pretty gross, and something I'd honestly expect of EA if they sold hardware. I think I'll pass on Smash Brothers this gen. These kinds of business decisions just don't sit well with me.

I remembered Sakurai talking about the inclusion of CCP support in Kid Icarus: Uprising. NOTE: Sakurai was kept in the dark about of the existence of the CCP and found out the same time as the general public did.

''Considering how close to the limit we pushed the 3DS during development, it's a miracle that we were even able to provide support for left-handed controls at the point of completion. Providing support for independent analog control was something that was technically impossible.''

Smash is really pushing the 3DS so Sakurai most likely didn't want to spend any processing power on CCP's support. N3DS' nub is probably only supported because it's integrated in the system and requires no extra resources.
That's only speculation so Nintendo could very well be screwing 3DS owners to push them to upgrade.
Sakurai's explanation always seemed really tenuous, considering you could use the face buttons to control the reticle, but the CCP apparently couldn't. But it could control Pit because reasons.

Regarding Smash, it seems unlikely that Sakurai couldn't work it in. It's been a while since I've played Melee or Brawl, but didn't it pretty much amount to a digital input? Press a direction and you did a Smash attack? I doubt something like that would cause any kind of load on the engine, at all. If it does, that would be some disgustingly poor coding.

Honestly, this just looks like Nintendo had the opportunity to make some money off of an audience they knew would buy right into this. They're whaling by "incentivizing" a highly anticipated title, and they're probably going to make a lot of money off of it.

Nohar

You've got to be kidding me... Nintendo, what is wrong with you? I didn't plan to buy SSB on 3DS, but still, that's a really low blow, and indeed it's on par with EA. /smh

I'm afraid we have a Game Boy Color situation on our hands. Really, that's just downright vicious.

Somnid

I knew it! I was always skeptical of the idea of adding another stick for this reason. CPP compatible games only know they are talking to an IR bus, but when the device is onboard that no longer makes sense, especially when there's a stick and an IR port (and in Smash's case an NFC platform that also uses an IR port) so you can't really tell which is supposed to be in use. My expectation has been that CPP and New 3DS aren't exactly compatible for this reason and that the New 3DS fixes the multi-peripheral problem by integrating NFC and CPP-like functionality.

JoeM86

I had a thought. What if Smash never had intent for second stick support, but when Nintendo were building the N3DS, they showed it to Sakurai and he decided to add the feature for players on that device.

It'd explain the delay from Summer to September/October that the 3DS version had.

Just an idle thought, though.

What's C stick used for in SSB?

Same as in Brawl & Melee

So this makes me think. Has Classic Controller support been confirmed for Wii U? I mean they're most likely in since you can use them in a bunch of games like Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart 8 (there a lot of third-party titles that also use them).

Then again Hyrule Warriors didn't have it while the past Wii U Warriors games did and games like NSMBU and Pikmin didn't have it either.

What now the Eshop page only lists the GamePad. At least we know patching in support would be easy.

Anth0ny

So I just bought a circle pad pro and paid for express shipping to get it here by the time the game launches.

fuck me.

rekameohs

Banned
I had a thought. What if Smash never had intent for second stick support, but when Nintendo were building the N3DS, they showed it to Sakurai and he decided to add the feature for players on that device.

It'd explain the delay from Summer to September/October that the 3DS version had.

I'd say that's a very believable reason.

Clov

Wow, that sucks. I thought I'd finally have a third game that could use the thing! I guess it'll just keep collecting dust for now. Looks like I won't be c-sticking until I get a N3DS (no idea when that will be, either).

So this makes me think. Has Classic Controller support been confirmed for Wii U? I mean they're most likely in since you can use them in a bunch of games like Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart 8 (there a lot of third-party titles that also use them).

Then again Hyrule Warriors didn't have it while the past Wii U Warriors games did and games like NSMBU and Pikmin didn't have it either.

What now the Eshop page only lists the GamePad. At least we know patching in support would be easy.

I think it does as I saw it as a control option on a Wii U demo unit but I will make sure.

EDIT So the demo unit has the pro controller game pad wii remote and nunchuck and classic controller they don't mention the Gamecube Controller.

My instagram http://instagram.com/p/snTXVVwVxB/

If you mean Pro Controller, NSMBU and Pikmin 3 also support it.

Yasumi

Banned
Besides the comfort, what would be the use of another stick for a game like Smash?
Quick smash attacks and aerial attacks that don't affect your trajectory. Ex. Jump right and C-left to attack left while moving right.

Why not support the CCP then? The stick isn't doing anything the CCP couldn't, why alienate a portion of the existing customer base? It's just pure greed.

Anth0ny

LKEiZ9Y.png

what the fuck is this garbage

that's not a c stick

that's not even a circle pad

that's a little, poorly placed piece of shit

i'd rather have no "c-stick" than the carpal tunnel that would inevitably come with playing smash bros with this little prick

MisterHero

It's a good thing they announced New 3DS now so people will know not to buy the current "old" 3DSXL that's promoting the game. gg Nintendo

As mentioned, KI:U ran 60 fps and couldn't support dual analog because of the extra processing requirements. Running another analog input is a lot more demanding than binary buttons.

There is a good chance this is the same reason for the lack of support here.

Arsenic13

Way to include a hardware revision that neglects the millions of established users this far into the game.

The nub should have been implemented as earlier as the 3DSXL,but instead they made a ridiculously sized circle pad pro XL accessory

Yasumi

Banned
As mentioned, KI:U ran 60 fps and couldn't support dual analog because of the extra processing requirements. Running another analog input is a lot more demanding than binary buttons.

There is a good chance this is the same reason for the lack of support here.
The c-stick's function in Smash is a four direction digital input. It's no excuse.

Jamix012

No really, what am I missing. Nothing on the page linked in the OP suggests Smash will work with the new C stick on the New 3DS.

There won't be any NFC reader for the regular 3DS until some undetermined time in 2015. Smash 3DS is coming out this month. I don't think the IR "excuse" is really valid here. If Nintendo wanted to, they would support it. They clearly don't, at the detriment of a consumer subset. No need to defend that sort of behavior. :)

Is Google just translating it wrong? it seems to me it specifically says that it doesn't support the new 3DS stick.

Top Bottom