• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

koryuken

Some of you guys are making some weird logical leaps. Taken from then IGN article that Quadra posted:

"You can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

So let me get this straight, when you are logged in under your own account on a friends console you are limited to one hour playtime, but when you share your game with 10 strangers, you can do so indefinitely? Give me a fucking break... this is very solid evidence of their 60 min time limit.

Sera O

Banned
Personally I think they want consumers to think we lost something truly great by giving up the great DRM in the sky.

The weird thing about this too is most people trying to sell a product won't talk about how it was going to be soooo awesome before, but then imply that it's now gimpy and compromised (andcoughit'syourfault). It's not a great tactic, especially for the early-adopting crowd who want the latest/greatest. Now it's a piece of hardware, built for this strategy they had that was supposedly so awesome - but is not going forward as planned and people will see it as disadvantaged already because of that.

I don't think it's a good call to be advertising, "it could have been so much better," when it's more expensive and less powerful than the competitor, whose plans haven't been hit hard by this last minute scramble to adapt to the market.

Stillmatic

Some of you guys are making some weird logical leaps. Taken from then IGN article that Quadra posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

So let me get this straight, when you are logged in under your own account on a friends console you are limited to one hour playtime, but when you share your game with 10 strangers, you can do so indefinitely? Give me a fucking break... this is very solid evidence of their 60 min time limit.

Nice catch.

Soler

Banned
Seriously.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who actually thought the family share plan would include the full game.

Completely preposterous. MS rarely, if ever, gives away anything fore free...OF THEIR OWN, but somehow they're going to let 10 people share a 3rd party game.

Right.
It was really never a possibility
Ever
The whole purpose of the DRM stuff is to get rid of people sharing games so they'd have to buy one themselves
They wouldn't let this happen
It'd be so much easier than sharing an actual disc
People tried to see the best out of the situation I guess
It really isn't all that important now that they're getting rid of the DRM but people should remember this If they ever try to pull some shit like this again

Kyon

Banned

Everything was literally right in front of our faces

No, that specifically says you can be offline for one hour before you need to check in online. Also who said indefinitely? There sure are a lot of things being thrown around that aren't true and never were true.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I haven't seen any proof to what cboat says. He stated nothing anyone around here doesn't know or heard about already.

that mirrors edge 2 at MS E3 presentation and saying "Microsoft will pretend to have exclusives, but they won't be" even though sony did the same tactic, was some suspect shit. I really think he's a troll, or some nobody/journalist with connections trying to be some fake ass deepthroat on a gaming forum.

I really would like to feel solid like some of you feeling that we got an insider. But I want actual proof.

I know Chicago Bear fans are Delusional, but this delusional... DAMN!

I haven't seen any proof to what cboat says. He stated nothing anyone around here doesn't know or heard about already.

that mirrors edge 2 at MS E3 presentation and saying "Microsoft will pretend to have exclusives, but they won't be" even though sony did the same tactic, was some suspect shit. I really think he's a troll, or some nobody/journalist with connections trying to be some fake ass deepthroat on a gaming forum.

I really would like to feel solid like some of you feeling that we got an insider. But I want actual proof.

The fuck? CBOAT got 90% of everything that has to do with MS. There´s very little reason to doubt him.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

While I'm going with CBOAT on this one, I don't see how that is related. It's just saying that you need to check in every 60 minutes instead of every 24 hours when you're logged in and playing games on a console other than your "primary" console.

Foxix Von

At this point I'm more inclined to believe CBOAT.
Especially since MS already mentioned only being able to play games you own on a friends console for 60 minutes maximum. I'm assuming the family sharing program is what they were referencing now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The weird thing about this too is most people trying to sell a product won't talk about how it was going to be soooo awesome before, but then imply that it's now gimpy and compromised (andcoughit'syourfault). It's not a great tactic, especially for the early-adopting crowd who want the latest/greatest. Now it's a piece of hardware, built for this strategy they had that was supposedly so awesome - but is not going forward as planned and people will see it as disadvantaged already because of that.

I don't think it's a good call to be advertising, "it could have been so much better," when it's more expensive and less powerful than the competitor, whose plans haven't been hit hard by this last minute scramble to adapt to the market.

You're exactly right and that's because the Xbox One is a complete joke. Yes it will have good games but it's tarnished beyond all reason IMO. I had hardly any good things to say about MS,
I really like the original xbox but the 360 is a flaming POS IMO, RROD...
but now I don't have any after seeing how they treat their loyal consumers. It's an absolute disgrace and quite disgusting to me. I'm not anti-corporation but I am definitely against pure, incomprehensible greed fueled by a disdain of their very own consumers.

It makes me sick.

guch20

Banned
I've been reading Gaf for a while (and recently started posting) and I've noticed that a lot of stock is put into what CBOAT says, particularly about Microsoft. Why is this? Now, I'm not saying he isn't trustworthy or doesn't know his shit. I'm sure he's amazing at knowing the inside scoop. I just like to know where a person derives their authority. Is he a Microsoft insider?

IMGF

Neo Member
It's not what I expected, but I didn't think MS would attempt to spin something as "save your demo gameplay" as a big next gen feature. Though I guess why the feature was barely ever talked about in the first place.

All dat hype for nothing.

Rains

Really scammy of them to hide this before, or in some cases (like Major Nelson interviews) imply it was the full game you could share.

Most of us here knew there's no way publishers would allow full sharing of a game with 10 others.
Indeed image if they would have kept quiet untill release and not changed a thing would have had people returning there consoles to shops ect

Soler

Banned
I've been reading Gaf for a while (and recently started posting) and I've noticed that a lot of stock is put into what CBOAT says, particularly about Microsoft. Why is this? Now, I'm not saying he isn't trustworthy or doesn't know his shit. I'm sure he's amazing at knowing the inside scoop. I just like to know where a person derives their authority. Is he a Microsoft insider?
I think he might work for MS but we'll never really know

Burai

shitonmychest57
Personally I think they want consumers to think we lost something truly great by giving up the great DRM in the sky.

Yeah, they did the same thing with their revelation yesterday that they were going to allow digital trade-ins. Why not mention that before? That's a sweetener that could have gone some way to justify the draconian DRM. It's more than Steam allows you to do, for example.

The whole reason we were against the DRM wasn't because of the DRM, but because we were being given nothing in return for it. Sleep mode software updates and playing without a disk in the drive were not enough of a payment to make up for the things we'd lose.

But no, this is some real divide and conquer shit. Make the people that were drinking the DRM Kool Aid think they've lost something amazing and make them all the more militant, whilst at the same time giving the anti-DRM people something to regret. And they'll never have to back it up or make good on it. It's just empty rhetoric.

Their system was specifically designed to kill used games. How often does a traded game get played after the first user? Once, maybe twice? And we're supposed to believe they'd be letting us give NINE people from anywhere on the planet free access to a brand new game we'd just purchased? At any time? Ten people playing the same copy at the same time is somehow more appealing to them than ~three people playing the same copy sequentially?

I'm not buying it. I'm not buying it at all.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
In any case, maybe this wasn't the giant "catch" to the Family Sharing Plan, but there definitely was a catch. The pieces didn't add up - and they still don't. They could still do game sharing, but they aren't. They could still do DD game resale, but they aren't (and never were going to). Nothing they designed was in our favor. The Family Sharing Plan was an illusion, and it only looked good because they got booed off the stage before the trick was over.
This is how I feel - the digital resale stuff wasn't even elaborated on, just hinted as a vague thing in the future. Possibly after launch - what if they then decided not to implement it at all? Everyone who bought one on that belief would be completely fucked. Funny how all the negatives (DRM, 24 hour check, etc) were all locked down and concrete, all the positives were not.

In fact EVERY 'positive' of the Xbone - eg digital resale / trading / gifting / family sharing - was either not elaborated on, a confused mess of contradictions and obfuscations by the higher ups, or existed as some nebulous thing that might materialise in the future, details tbc. Just buy it and try it for yourself! Even now, with a much touted feature we don't know the full details.

GraveRobberX

Look @ Thread date

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581089

Read the message within those post, people deciphered them at the bottom of the page
So one day before MS conference, almost 80-90% right afterwards, you'd be lucky to get 1 right...

MogCakes

No one but the mods know his actual legitimacy, but they give the thumbs up for him. That and he's been leaking for a long time and has been right on just about everything he says, with only a tiny fraction of his leaks being wrong (and the majority of said wrong info came from this year's E3, specifically MS's press conference, which leads me to believe some stuff happened after he got his scoop).

Kyon

Banned

obviously he is in the industry but we cant and will never know because he will lose his job. Mods probably know but they cant say anything either. This information about CBOAT isnt relevant. He is right 90% of the time

B.O.O.M

Gaf has few well known users who give insider info. CBOAT is right up there as one of the best. He is not an insider on MS btw..he just gives out info on various things. He is almost always correct too. Deadrising 3 exclusivity for example was told by him a long time back. Same with Respawns game. He also said it's a timed exclusive..guess we will see how accurate that is in the future.

Gaf mods are very strict about this subject of insider info. They do not hesitate to ban those who fail to live up to what they say in a heartbeat. CBOAT is legit :)

This.

It's not a one hour play time. You have to be connected to the Internet EVERY HOUR instead of every 24 hours on your friends console.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library.

You're wrong right there, the evidence you are trying to use isn't even correct :p

guch20

Banned
Look @ Thread date

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581089

Read the message within those post, people deciphered them at the bottom of the page
So one day before MS conference, almost 80-90% right afterwards, you'd be lucky to get 1 right...

No one but the mods know his actual legitimacy, but they give the thumbs up for him. That and he's been leaking for a long time and has been right on just about everything he says, with only a tiny fraction of his leaks being wrong (and the majority of said wrong info came from this year's E3, specifically MS's press conference, which leads me to believe some stuff happened after he got his scoop).

obviously he is in the industry but we cant and will never know because he will lose his job. Mods probably know but they cant say anything either. This information about CBOAT isnt relevant. He is right 90% of the time

Gaf has few well known users who give insider info. CBOAT is right up there as one of the best. He is not an insider on MS btw..he just gives out info on various things. He is almost always correct too. Deadrising 3 exclusivity for example was told by him a long time back. Same with Respawns game. He also said it's a timed exclusive..guess we will see how accurate that is in the future.

Gaf mods are very strict about this subject of insider info. They do not hesitate to ban those who fail to live up to what they say in a heartbeat. CBOAT is legit :)
Sweet! Well that's all good enough for me. #teamcrazybuttocks it is then.

SRTtoZ

If there is someone going around spreading rumors on Gaf who has been here since 2004, you can bet your ass he knows what hes talking about or else mods would have dealt with it. Cboat has shown he has a past of getting things right so this should be no different.

koryuken

What's bidet
I never deciphered that

bidet1.jpg

Loudninja

Crazy been around much longer than you and me he is not some random poster with a few posts that post garbage he is right pretty much every time.

GraveRobberX

Time limit is a shame, but its still better than nothing which is what we've got now.

Yes trading, selling, buying used now = nothing... Jesus!

I love how all you detractors still think a Corporation would give you anything for free, even goddamn Slurpees have a catch

You have to a buy a small or other sizes $0.79+ slurpee to get a free slurpee of same size on certain promotional days... So yeah

All you who have grandeur ideas of Game Sharing 10 New Games all purchased on 1 account and start trading/sharing like Pokemon cards are out your goddamn mind

What's bidet
I never deciphered that

Ass Cleaning Sprinkler!

Good for douching all the sand out of vaginas too!

Edit: Beaten! Handsomely

I don't understand

a) why they would have a "sharing family" that is just for demos
b) they would limit those shares, be it to only 10 people, and only 1 person at a time
c) why they would need to scrap the demo plan just because DRM is gone
d) if it was just a glorified demo library, why were there so many quotes and articles going in detail about how it worked, and those details were much more than demos?

But mostly A. How the fuck does a family sharing feature for demos even make sense? Games have demos on XBL already.

This is how I see it.

If you honestly believed microsoft was going to allow people to create a unrestricted group of ten to share games you are a fucking idiot. Its that simple.

However, just because CBOAT said 60 mins, it doesnt mean it was exactly a glorified demo. It could of been a 60 min nag, 60 mins of a game a day or even 60 mins per group member accessing the library without having to be online.

What is evident is that whatever the family sharing thing was, it was a very limited scheme that would be helpful to a very small subset of gamers and would never been the break out feature some xbox fans are making out. Even PSN game sharing at its peak wasnt something that most people took advantage of, hell there are millions of people on PSN who STILL dont know it exists.

So yes. For a global device losing this DRM is far far more valuable than what family sharing offered. Id still have that same accessment even if it worked exactly as described. It is a feature that only would be useful to a percentage of games while what we have now benefits everyone. Not just gamestop game ebay amazon etc. EVERY. SINGLE. GAMER.

You think thats backwards and physical is holding us back? You still have your PC. The majority of notable Xbox exclusives will end up there anyway.

Have some empathy for those who do not have the income infrastructure and means to game as you do. They still matter. This hobby can never cater to the needs of the select few. We all are gamers. We all love our hobby and we all want it to prosper. Lets stop thinking about ourselves, just for a little while, Ok?

Next I would like MS to clarify their stance on dedicated servers because you really don't know where you stand with this company.

Dedicated servers for every game?
Are they available to all Gold subscribers?

Sera O

Banned
You're exactly right and that's because the Xbox One is a complete joke. Yes it will have good games but it's tarnished beyond all reason IMO.

It's bizarre how bad they are at this. The time to reveal all the magical sharing and used digital game selling details? It's not after you've cancelled the features, it's when people are up in arms asking you what they are getting in exchange for what you are taking away.

This whole show is being run by incompetents and liars, it seems. Looks like they believed consumers would immediately don collars and put their dicks in a vise to play Halo and now they are all resentful that it might not have been the case and they might have to take them for dinner first.

Sporran

But mostly A. How the fuck does a family sharing feature for demos even make sense? Games have demos on XBL already.

I guess its a similar feature to the PSN trial download option, you can play the trial and then if you purchase it, any achievements you would have earned during the trial are then automatically granted. Saving you restarting the entire game from the beginning.

Which is the case for a demo.

imtehman

Banned
reading this shit really rubs me the wrong way FUCK. I want to play quantum break bad but after this i dont want to give MS my money at all

GraveRobberX

I don't understand

a) why they would have a "sharing family" that is just for demos
b) they would limit those shares, be it to only 10 people, and only 1 person at a time
c) why they would need to scrap the demo plan just because DRM is gone
d) if it was just a glorified demo library, why were there so many quotes and articles going in detail about how it worked, and those details were much more than demos?

A. It wasn't cooked right, NONE of the Suits could explain the clusterfuck. From the Announcement till E3 conference, it was just bumbling PR speak, that we are still working it out, yes working out that shit when launch is 5 months away....
It almost like the Windows 1 version good, 1 version bad has infected their console
Xbox Meh!, Xbox 360 WHOA!, Xbone Ah the cycle, I think XB2 will be fantastic!

B. Tell me if you DL a 50+ GB File of game to your HDD and have access to it for 2-3 play session (being generous here), how many will pull the trigger?
That is what they want, you already DL'ed the whole file, just pay then play
This social feature of grassroots movements is fucking stupid
Are you seriously going to waste using up that space on game you might not be interested in the first place
They just made advertising go from them to the user, hey hock your products to your friends, lets us get all the benefit, it was referral program with no benefit, you get no cash back or reward points

C. If you remove something that still wasn't set in stone, you can make it sound like it was something that would make gamers feel like you see you want your old ways, here, no future stuff for you
We're taking our imaginary ball and going home, you didn't even know what this ball offered, LULZ you missed out!

D. MS panicked. They really put themselves in the corner when Sony went HAM on them during the conference. Those Pre-Order #'s shook them. They started trying to get something set in stone, but by then they lost all the power, even 3rd parties went you want us to do what?, not even any money in the world would we let you ruin our franchise like that
Even Sony had to backpedal on their shares, make it go from 5 to 2, due to Capcom/Ubisoft creating shitstorms

Listen if you are a company who is on cruise control and going smoothly, then all of sudden hit turbulence with a truck with the emblem Sony ramming you from the back, you would be a in fluster, PANICKING THE FUCK OUT!

Top Bottom