• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I guess I'll give it a shot. I have to re-add all my music anyway since I re-built my PC... ziphone still my best bet?

killakiz

I have some quick questions, does anyone know what kind of discounts at&t employees get on the iphone and iphone plans? and is it possible to port my phone number to at&t from sprint without canceling my plan? I want to use my old number with the iphone and hopefully sprint will generate a new number to associate with my current contract.

killakiz said:
I have some quick questions, does anyone know what kind of discounts at&t employees get on the iphone and iphone plans? and is it possible to port my phone number to at&t from sprint without canceling my plan? I want to use my old number with the iphone and hopefully sprint will generate a new number to associate with my current contract.

Last I heard there were no discounts on iPhones or plans for employees. May have changed over the past year, but that use to be the case.

And when porting your number, it automatically cancels your old plan. Just the way it works. You'd have to call customer service at both places to try to work something out, but I wouldn't be too confident. Why do you want two phones and two numbers on two different providers?

killakiz

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Last I heard there were no discounts on iPhones or plans for employees. May have changed over the past year, but that use to be the case.

And when porting your number, it automatically cancels your old plan. Just the way it works. You'd have to call customer service at both places to try to work something out, but I wouldn't be too confident. Why do you want two phones and two numbers on two different providers?
I currently pay for my brothers phone bill with sprint, so I'm planning to just give my sprint contract a new number and give a phone to my youngest brother (its time he had a phone now) the sprint deal is way to good to pass up ($150 4 phones data, 3500 minutes, 1000 txt) but I want an iphone as my main phone.

killakiz said:
I currently pay for my brothers phone bill with sprint, so I'm planning to just give my sprint contract a new number and give a phone to my youngest brother (its time he had a phone now) the sprint deal is way to good to pass up ($150 4 phones data, 3500 minutes, 1000 txt) but I want an iphone as my main phone.

Couldn't you just port a single number for the iPhone then add a new line as part of the four phone plan?

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Couldn't you just port a single number for the iPhone then add a new line as part of the four phone plan?

I think I'm in a similar situation. My family is on Sprint's family plan but my number is the primary number on the account. I'm not even sure what their whole contract situation is since I don't handle it. I want to splinter off to AT&T when the new iPhone hits and I'm not sure how this is all going to work. I hope it's something as simple as being able to reassign the primary number to the account and that me leaving their group doesn't hurt them in any way. Closing the account would be a disaster.

Marty Chinn said:
I think I'm in a similar situation. My family is on Sprint's family plan but my number is the primary number on the account. I'm not even sure what their whole contract situation is since I don't handle it. I want to splinter off to AT&T when the new iPhone hits and I'm not sure how this is all going to work. I hope it's something as simple as being able to reassign the primary number to the account and that me leaving their group doesn't hurt them in any way. Closing the account would be a disaster.

I'm not sure how that will work either, but I would think that you would do just as you said. Move the primary account to a different number, then port one of the secondary numbers over when you go for the iPhone.

Two things I'd suggest would be 1) contact Sprint to see what they say on this policy. They probably won't be real glad to hear you're leaving, but considering how badly they are hemorrhaging customers right now, they should be use to it.

and 2) I'd make the change fairly early if you are really considering the 3G iPhone, that way when it comes out, you can make the jump without having to wait for Sprint to change the primary number on the bill, and go through that whole procedure.

suaveric

Since we seem to be talking about iphone plans, I have a question- i want to have a family plan with my girlfriend when the new iphone is out. we're with verizon currently.

so can we switch over to att right now and get a deal on a blackberry for her now and then next month switch my phone out for a iphone?

as i understand it, we sign a new contract when the iphone is added. so i'm worried that they'll take back the money they knock off the blackberry from our original contract when i add the iphone a month later.

would that happen or am i crazy?

Yamaha98

suaveric said:
Since we seem to be talking about iphone plans, I have a question- i want to have a family plan with my girlfriend when the new iphone is out. we're with verizon currently.

so can we switch over to att right now and get a deal on a blackberry for her now and then next month switch my phone out for a iphone?

as i understand it, we sign a new contract when the iphone is added. so i'm worried that they'll take back the money they knock off the blackberry from our original contract when i add the iphone a month later.

would that happen or am i crazy?

Current iPhone is sold at retail unlike ALL other phones which are subsidized (discounted) when signing up for a new/extending contract. We always tell current at&t customers to not waste their upgrade eligibility on a iPhone when you can get it at anytime. Might as well get a free basic phone then buy the iPhone when your ready.

Not sure how the new model will work out since at&t may discount it when renewing/starting a new contract. I'd estimate 6 out of 10 customers we get asking about the iPhone are tourist who are visiting & want to just buy the device outright w/o being committed to a wireless contract in the US. This hurts at&t exclusivity contract ($$$) w/ apple since we, at our location, get many customers who just want the device.

Yamaha98

To the other guys question a few posts above. You can not get a discount, whether through your company or university, if you have an iPhone on the primary number of the account. Sucks because there are some heavy discounts (FAN) offered by at&t that will knock off a good $15+ off your bill easily if you are in the Armed Forces, Gov't, employed by IBM, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, Coca Cola, etc etc etc.

suaveric

Yamaha98 said:
To the other guys question a few posts above. You can not get a discount, whether through your company or university, if you have an iPhone on the primary number of the account. Sucks because there are some heavy discounts (FAN) offered by at&t that will knock off a good $15+ off your bill easily if you are in the Armed Forces, Gov't, employed by IBM, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, Coca Cola, etc etc etc.

whoa, i didn't know that. so can the iphone be the second phone on the contract and then we can get the discount? or is the iphone always the main phone?

Phoenix

suaveric said:
whoa, i didn't know that. so can the iphone be the second phone on the contract and then we can get the discount? or is the iphone always the main phone?

You can get discounts on any additional phones on the account, but if an iPhone is on a family plan, that plan is billed at full price. The iPhone has to be on its on account to leave a family plan with its discount. Unfortunately the iPhone stuff invalidates any discounts on the account onto which it is attached. The discounts will stay on the account, but they won't do anything. This is done just in case you pull the iPhone from the account.

Phoenix said:
You can get discounts on any additional phones on the account, but if an iPhone is on a family plan, that plan is billed at full price. The iPhone has to be on its on account to leave a family plan with its discount. Unfortunately the iPhone stuff invalidates any discounts on the account onto which it is attached. The discounts will stay on the account, but they won't do anything. This is done just in case you pull the iPhone from the account.
This is the most confusing shit I've ever read on GAF.

Yamaha98

Phoenix said:

Sorry, but discounts applied to at&t accounts are usually applied to just the primary number. Depending on the FAN discount, some add-a-lines on family plans are also discounted though not as much of course. Put a iPhone on a primary line of the family plan, & you will not get a discount. You may still get one on your family plan as long as its not on the primary line. I'll look into that for you guys. I work for at&t just don't really care for the current iPhone model .

What is known is that the Unlimited Calling Plan ($99) is not discounted; regardless if the user has a iPhone or not.

Phoenix

Yamaha98 said:
Sorry, but discounts applied to at&t accounts are usually applied to just the primary number. Depending on the FAN discount, some add-a-lines on family plans are also discounted though not as much of course. Put a iPhone on a primary line of the family plan, & you will not get a discount. You may still get one on your family plan as long as its not on the primary line. I'll look into that for you guys. I work for at&t just don't really care for the current iPhone model .

What is known is that the Unlimited Calling Plan ($99) is not discounted; regardless if the user has a iPhone or not.

Find out for me because I get discounts through my job. Originally I had two phone lines one for me and my wife. I add iPhone to mine, no discount but I get it on my wifes. Make hers the primary line and add my account to the same plan via family plan - no discount on either. So if you find something different, let me know and I'll argue it with AT&T.

suaveric

i wonder if the discount would be applicable again if the rumor about Apple not getting a cut of the subscriptions anymore with the new phone is true.

Yamaha98

Phoenix said:
Find out for me because I get discounts through my job. Originally I had two phone lines one for me and my wife. I add iPhone to mine, no discount but I get it on my wifes. Make hers the primary line and add my account to the same plan via family plan - no discount on either. So if you find something different, let me know and I'll argue it with AT&T.

Who do you work for? Again, each FAN discount is set up different from one another. For example, here in Northern VA we have a lot of military personal who take advantage of the 19% discount they are entitled to. Not only do they get a pretty penny off their bill but their FAN also waives any Activation Fee's on their account. The most sought after FAN discount is a staggering 28% off the primary line plus more off the Add-A-Lines. This is the Coca-Cola Corporation discount that was so heavily abused in the past from internal employees hooking up their friends, families or giving it away on customers accounts who do not work for the corp but got the discount just so they can sign a contract & the rep get his commission. "You drink Coca-Cola?! Today's your lucky day!"

Phoenix

Yamaha98 said:
Who do you work for? Again, each FAN discount is set up different from one another. For example, here in Northern VA we have a lot of military personal who take advantage of the 19% discount they are entitled to. Not only do they get a pretty penny off their bill but their FAN also waives any Activation Fee's on their account. The most sought after FAN discount is a staggering 28% off the primary line plus more off the Add-A-Lines. This is the Coca-Cola Corporation discount that was so heavily abused in the past from internal employees hooking up their friends, families or giving it away on customers accounts who do not work for the corp but got the discount just so they can sign a contract & the rep get his commission. "You drink Coca-Cola?! Today's your lucky day!"

I received my discounts from Time Warner (TWX). We received substantial and significant discounts. Nevertheless according to both Apple and AT&T, there were to be no discounts on either equipment and plans on which an iPhone was active and this was due entirely to the revenue sharing contracts that were in effect.

Yamaha98

Phoenix said:
I received my discounts from Time Warner (TWX). We received substantial and significant discounts. Nevertheless according to both Apple and AT&T, there were to be no discounts on either equipment and plans on which an iPhone was active and this was due entirely to the revenue sharing contracts that were in effect.

AOL is based here in this part of the state. Had a customer sign up though could not figure out what the discount for AOL was so went off TW since he technically works for them. Got 24% off if I am not mistaken. All your discounts are marked on the premier site associated with your company though you will usually find many at&t stores (particularly dealer agents) beat the discounts you guys would get directly from at&t.

You can still get your discount w/ the iPhone in use. Just have the account register a different phone (via IMEI) on the line & pop in the SIM to the iPhone. Just will have to use the iPhone as a voice handset only as attempting to put any of the data features on the account will force to register the iPhone & disable the FAN discount. ;)

Phoenix

Yamaha98 said:
AOL is based here in this part of the state. Had a customer sign up though could not figure out what the discount for AOL was so went off TW since he technically works for them. Got 24% off if I am not mistaken. All your discounts are marked on the premier site associated with your company though you will usually find many at&t stores (particularly dealer agents) beat the discounts you guys would get directly from at&t.

You can still get your discount w/ the iPhone in use. Just have the account register a different phone (via IMEI) on the line & pop in the SIM to the iPhone. Just will have to use the iPhone as a voice handset only as attempting to put any of the data features on the account will force to register the iPhone & disable the FAN discount. ;)

Yep, pretty much what the AT&T folks told me in the store and on the phone. You have to fool the system into believing its just a phone, but then of course, its just a phone and kinda defeats the entire point.

Whats a good website to get a full tutorial on how to jailbreak a brand new iPhone? I've jailbroken my iPod Touch, but my friend just bought an iPhone and I'm kind of clueless where to start for him.

LCfiner

apocalidiot said:
Whats a good website to get a full tutorial on how to jailbreak a brand new iPhone? I've jailbroken my iPod Touch, but my friend just bought an iPhone and I'm kind of clueless where to start for him.

I like the tutorials on iClarified

I've used both the pwnage tool and iLiberty+ methods. (on page 2 of the listing of tutorials)

LCfiner

interesting render from a 3rd party showing an alleged "3G" iPhone case.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/19/3g-iphone-case-revealed/

OLD CASE
111436-1361_disc_400.jpg

SUPPOSED NEW CASE
111658-1384_disc_400.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if Apple really had to thicken the 3G iPhone as much as these case renders indicate. I was hoping they could keep the same form factor.

thoughts? I say "yeah, probably real".

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's thicker and convex in the back. I already prefer the OG form factor to the 3G one...

I say "no, probably not real". Do you think Apple is handing out renders of the next iPhone to just anyone before they're ready to announce it? Especially when it seems like it could easily be a few weeks of yet? These kinds of mock-ups are so common in the Apple community that I always take a "Wait until it's official..." stance.

Salmonax

LCfiner said:
It'll be interesting to see if Apple really had to thicken the 3G iPhone as much as these case renders indicate. I was hoping they could keep the same form factor.
Wow, if that's accurate, I'll actually be happy to hang onto my EDGE phone. Having migrated to the iPhone from the Treo, the form factor is one of my favorite things about it.

LCfiner

chedabob said:
Looks fake to me. If they built a 3G iPhone, wouldn't it make sense to put a camera on the front for video calling?

Well, the talk with this pic has been that the wider open space on the front of the case is to allow for the existing sensors plus a forward facing camera. that's purely conjecture, of course.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hard to tell just by looking at these renders, but if they're to the same scale, accounting for the sleeve/mask, it's no thicker. Put the pics side by side in MS Paint. Without actual dimensions though, this speculation is meaningless.

LCfiner

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I say "no, probably not real". Do you think Apple is handing out renders of the next iPhone to just anyone before they're ready to announce it? Especially when it seems like it could easily be a few weeks of yet? These kinds of mock-ups are so common in the Apple community that I always take a "Wait until it's official..." stance.

well, no one is saying that these are renders from Apple. It's just that the dimensions match the previous reports of 3G iPhone dimensions possibly being given to case manufacturers. see here

personally, i hope they're not real (i had the same opinion with the leaked 3G ipod nano shots) as the thing looks pretty massive :\ just a few more weeks to find out.

LCfiner said:
well, no one is saying that these are renders from Apple. It's just that the dimensions match the previous reports of 3G iPhone dimensions possibly being given to case manufacturers. see here

personally, i hope they're not real (i had the same opinion with the leaked 3G ipod nano shots) as the thing looks pretty massive :\ just a few more weeks to find out.

Oh, so at best these are just some artist rendition with a case that's designed to fit rumored dimensions. The design may look nothing like that at all. Still think they're fake.

LCfiner

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh, so at best these are just some artist rendition with a case that's designed to fit rumored dimensions. The design may look nothing like that at all. Still think they're fake.

heh, I know. it's not much to go on. :)

I suppose I'm giving these shots a bit more credence than I would have a year ago due to recent leaks of the macbook air, aluminum keyboards and 3G ipod nano before they were officially shown.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Shogmaster said:
MS wants you to move up to UMPCs for "real internet" and not their Windows Mobile phones. This is because no WM phone OEM are willing to stick gigs of Nandflash into their devices to allow for such browser. OS footprint for iPhone vs. WM phone is like a Semi truck vs a Yugo.

I think the "real internet" part of the iPhone will be the most outclassed part in shortest time since "real internet" without flash website support is more like "real internet" from the year 2000 instead of 2007.

If I wanted tiny "real internet" device right now and was willing to spend the money, I'd choose something like the OQO model 2, which isn't much bigger than the iPhone (4.5"x2.4"x.46" vs 5.6"x3.3"x1.0"). You get 800x480 LCD, real X86 processor, actual full Windows instead of OSX lite, built in EVDO rev A, and real browsers that supports flash and everything else "real internet" demands in 2007. It's $2000, but you get a full PC that can do everything except high end 3D gaming. And that's based on 2006 tech.

By next year, you will have the same kind of experience but for UMPCs that are closer to $1000 with the coming of the Menlow platform and the Silverthorne processor from Intel. Now ask yourself: $600 for a PDA+ or $1000 for a real PC not much bigger? I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat, and have a real cheap phone with it instead of having a iPod, phone, gimped internet tablet in one device that shares the same battery that you can't swap.

How did this one turn out? ;)

SuperPac

Juice said:
3G iPhone case revealed. Only real change aside from form factor is a much wider opening along the top to accommodate (1) the ambient light sensor or (2) (pleeeeeease!) an iSight camera.

You decide.

I call fake. It's been said in other places I think that this smacks of a third-party peripheral maker trying to get some hits to their web site. Hopefully Apple'll just show the damn thing soon enough so we won't have to endure much more of this in the next few weeks.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
If that is the new iPhone shape, I am not buying a new one... Unless they do something to change the grip of it. My iPhone slips out of my hand like a bar of soap and I'm scared I am going to break it soon (5 months strong so far).

LCfiner

drknite said:
If that is the new iPhone shape, I am not buying a new one... Unless they do something to change the grip of it. My iPhone slips out of my hand like a bar of soap and I'm scared I am going to break it soon (5 months strong so far).

I got one of those Bodygaurd/ invisible shield skins on the back just to keep the thing from slipping out of my hand. i definitely don't worry about it anymore. Before that, it had slipped out of my hands around 3 times in one month.

other rumours have said that the new model will have a plastic backing, so it won't be so slippery

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Yeah I could get one of those, but I like my iPhone naked. The only thing I have for it is a little slip case for when it is in my pocket.

Salmonax

ds0gt said:
anyone else regret buying an iphone?
i hate texting with it and it was too expensive
I'm much faster at typing with my iPhone than I ever was with my Treo, which had a physical keyboard. It did take some practice, though.

ant1532

Banned
Is their any rumors or speculation about MMS messaging coming to the original iPhone? Isnt there a big update coming in June? What is that supposed to include?

Salmonax said:
I'm much faster at typing with my iPhone than I ever was with my Treo, which had a physical keyboard. It did take some practice, though.

Same here. At first I hated it but I can fly way faster than any ohone Ive ever had now.

How does it work with the predictive input when switching between languages? Especially languages with funny letters like ä, ö, ü and å.

ckohler

I'm not sure about the predictive aspect but you can touch and hold on many of the virtual keys to quickly access their international counterparts. For example, holding down the virtual U key for a second gets you quick access to ü and three other variants.

Phoenix

Worm_Buffet said:
How does it work with the predictive input when switching between languages? Especially languages with funny letters like ä, ö, ü and å.

Predictive input doesn't work well when going between languages. It appears to bind to one language dictionary and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom