• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwaan

Exactly. Vitality sensor is dead people ;) Would be too far away to be a small trackpad for like turning motions (L&R digital triggers on top are better suited for this aswell)

The mystery button on the other hand. I don´t have a clue. Could be anything...

EDIT: I got it... Its the Next Gen button. When you press it. WiiU will suddenly be 10x more powerful ;)

GJAcc.jpg

Actually, now that we are in the middle of the night with nothing going on...

Were there ever any exclusive titles that released on the iQue system Nintendo made? Remember, this thing...
ThNSO.jpg

It was just an N64 in a controller from what I gather, but I was never sure what became of it or what ever released on it. Possible ideas we could see in WiiU, being that it was pretty much digital only?

Hmm… "The Wii Crispybacon Thread". Now that has a nice ring to it.

MSX was a computer, and the SG-1000 wasn't next-gen, it was about as powerful as a Colecovision.

MSX is considered second gen by our Wikipedia Overlords. SG-1000 is considered part of the third generation, even though the SMS also is in that grouping.

qq more

Actually, now that we are in the middle of the night with nothing going on...

Were there ever any exclusive titles that released on the iQue system Nintendo made? Remember, this thing...
ThNSO.jpg

It was just an N64 in a controller from what I gather, but I was never sure what became of it or what ever released on it. Possible ideas we could see in WiiU, being that it was pretty much digital only?

iQue is literally an N64 for just China.

Still a win.

Yeah, I think everything is just in Nintendo's favor and kind of wish they faced more of a challenge.

I am sure the other companies will have a fantastic game here and there but unless they disappoint, this Nintendo lineup could probably go up against the best of them.

Darryl

Banned
anyone think Monolith will have something to show for WiiU at E3? whatever they're working on excites me most and I haven't heard much about them.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
anyone think Monolith will have something to show for WiiU at E3? whatever they're working on excites me most and I haven't heard much about them.
I think a reveal trailer is reasonably likely. Nintendo like to frontload their console unveilings with every game in a showable state that they have coming for the system.

Still a win.

Like that E3 a few years ago: "Whoever wins, we lose"
or some movie

I think that Nintendo will legitimately pull out many, many stops this time around. They just seem more active this time, what with the Spike deal and the extra feeds and soforth.

edit:

Oh, hey, last page. And it's almost two in the morning here. I had promised myself I'd go to bed by eleven. Ha! Maybe I should click that there "Submit New Thread" button and then conk out.

Terrell

MSX was a computer, and the SG-1000 wasn't next-gen, it was about as powerful as a Colecovision.

God, whatever, I'll rephrase. This is the first time since Nintendo entered the console market with the NES that they were "first". Even though it was a tie with the SG-1000, which despite being inferior technically is still part of that generation, no matter how quickly Sega abandoned it.

Nintendo would have to actively sabotage their conference to fail to win E3 - like making their premiere New Wii U reveal be anchored by Wii Music U and then bring out a Just Dance 10 minute preview.

Fredrik

Yeah, I think everything is just in Nintendo's favor and kind of wish they faced more of a challenge.

I am sure the other companies will have a fantastic game here and there but unless they disappoint, this Nintendo lineup could probably go up against the best of them.
I'm still not ruling out a surprise showcase of X720 and/or PS4 with tech demos/target renders that makes Nintendo look outdated yet again. Too many rumors are floating around.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
They'd have to be unfathomably bad to lose to Microsoft/Sony this year.
It's sort of conceivable that Sony's will be better. They should have The Last of Us gameplay, the unveiling of Quantic Dream's next game, maybe a PS3 price drop, and perhaps a Vita blowout (lol). If Nintendo only have NSMB Mii and Pikmin 3 and lacklustre third party support, the Sony showing would easily eclipse it.

Not that that's going to happen.

Terrell

Thing is that Nintendo still has to completely DESTROY E3.

Why? Because they are setting the standard for their competition to live up to next year and the year after, and they don't want to be outdone in terms of spectacle and wow factor.

Just like Microsoft tried to do during this generation with the big Xbox unveiling, Nintendo wants to set the tone for the entire generation, and you can't always do it after the fact.

Nilaul

I miss anything?

Dam it, I woke up thinking its time allready to go to uni, get ready shower, shave, notice that Its only 7:00. I went to bed at 4:00
Talking about fail xD

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
From sounds of things resistive screen, btw how much is a capacitive 6" screen vs a resistive one anyone?
It depends on the type. There are very high end and versatile resistive screens out there, but I'd say the single touch screen that depends on a stylus for precision that Nintendo seem to have opted for would be much cheaper than your average multitouch capacitive tablet screen.

I miss anything?

Dam it, I woke up thinking its time allready to go to uni, get ready shower, shave, notice that Its only 7:00. I went to bed at 4:00
Talking about fail xD

Final, full summary for this thread:

Thread V Summary:

#232: John Harker (vouched for in #284, #285, #286, #289, et al), "the thumb sticks are clickable" ← speculation follows regarding the possibility of it being analog-"click", whether the flat nature of the Wii U analogs would make it feel less awkward, etc..

#370: updated Wii U gun-shell design ← with bottom front trigger apparently moved to immediately below the analog stick

#467: GameStop internal computer system lists Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 for Wii U

#537: Block Diagram of Wii U Innards? (link to patent at #547) ← analyses at #558, #559

#578: Nintendo seems to be going forward with efforts to retain the "Wii U" name.

#584: Patent diagram for a mini-sized Wii U controller

#643: Text details of Wii U block diagram explaining connections between blocks

#751: Techdroid claims a Star Fox Retro reveal.

#775: Game Informer Interviews EA regarding Wii U; EA promises to "do everything we can to deliver an experience that will take advantage of the hardware"

#809: Patent confirmation that the little black window coming out the top of the DRC is an *IR emitter* (like on a universal remote), not an IR camera (like on a Wii Remote)

#1484: Ghost Recon Online Trailer- Nintendo Wii U (oldish but unseen at this point by many)

#2257: Blockbuster's Wii U game list? #2314 suggests that the submitter has been reliable in the past, but… in #2811, "a Blockbuster manager came out and said that they are forced to guess what games to put in their system, they don't know."

#2372: Wii U games for pre-order on Amazon

#2751: a developer in Santa Monica has been showing off the Wii U version of their game to certain journalists in the area this week. ← almost certainly Black Ops 2

#2815: Patent diagrams for stylus and (looks like) power brick.

#2858: Patent diagrams for console chassis

#3075: Lingsen (gyro manufacturer) lists 3Q12 Wii U release (but *whose* 3Q, and CY or FY…?) ; #3147 notes that Lingsen's FY aligns with the calendar year

#3123: Scraped from Linkedin, Ubisoft dev Reflections confirmed to be working on Wii U

#3274: Final dev kits (V5) were delayed about a month, but are coming in. They offer possible slight to moderate performance improvements. Developers now have about a month to get their games finalized on this hardware for E3.

#4160: Farsight studios Pinball Arcade coming to Wii U

#4321: patent diagram for Wii U controller's dock connector

#4372: patent diagram for Balance Board "rumble pack" accessory

#4467: Note on the colour of the devkits

#4530: Full floor plans for E3 unveiled

#4574: Mutterings suggesting UE4 running on Wii U (clarified at #4920 as "Speculation… claims to have a good source.", so meh.

#4850,4852: Massive rumour consolidation list from 2010 to now

#5018: Reminder: V5 devkit noted to see single digit fps increase in a "famous engine". Also, V5 shipment to third parties delay clarified to be about 5 weeks

#5135: Japan's Consumer Affairs Agency launched an investigation about the legality of [a certain type of microtransaction]

#5226: Wii U trademarks have been approved in the United States.

#5305: Additional Linkedin-based confirmation of Reflections Wii U support

#5422: Bit.Trip Runner 2 obvious tease

#5818: Square-Enix apparently showing intent to port Final Fantasy XIV (bringing up the confirmed+rumoured Wii U MMO count to three)

#5988: Ubisoft announces Avengers: Battle for the Earth for Wii U (and Kinect), quickly retracts Wii U mention

#6034: Indie game Cloudberry Kingdom announced for Wii U

#6042: Patent diagram depicting Wii U golf demo from E3'11

#6050: Patent diagram of smaller Wii U controller (not the same diagrams as in #584) with analog sticks instead of sliders and a backside without shelf and with sharper triggers (exposed in #6076 as being actually from last August)

#6094: Newly published patent document, contains earlier mentioned images plus explanatory text

#6618: Tales of games being considered for Wii U

#6776: Confirmation that Killer Freaks from Outer Space supports online multiplayer (#6810 shows its actual earliest confirmation was in E3'11)

#6817: apparent imagery from a GlobalTestMarket survey

#7104: Rumours: Crytek developing example demo (a Crysis 3 level) on Wii U but not a game. Allegedly runs well (on par with high-level PC version, superior in aspects to PS3/360) with DX9 effects at 720p with FXAA (no TXAA). In this devkit, streaming to the controller is "always on".

#7173: "Konami canceled a project. I don't know what it is, but it was Wii U and digital."

#7183: Hint of streaming PPV-style content to Wii U (Ace Attorney movie wat)

#7461: Article on "About Your Shape 2013" for Wii U

#8016: Nintendo's Tadashi Sugiyama (F-Zero X, Ice Climbers, Doki Doki Panic, Wii Fit) involved in a Wii U project

#8725: The Hardest Platformer Ever will be downloadable on Wii U.

#9101: Hiphopgamer claims Splinter Cell 6 for Wii U

#9317: IM: Most recent devkits contain 3 cores, as was rumoured around E3'11

#9356: Linkedin reveals that Wii U gpu design began in 2009

#9521: new rumor about Wii U possibly getting Cloud storage in 2013.

#10071: Reggie claims Zelda demo is 1080p (more of a question-dodging there)

#10250: FIFA 13 confirmed for Wii U

#10301: (aside) interesting flowchart of third party developers

#10317: heaping load of bul— I mean, poster from mmo-champion.com suggests Wii U uses quad core processor and Radeon 5850 (~2TFLOPS gpu desktop, 0.8-1.0 TFLOPS mobile model); BurntPork promises to make out with hobo if true (#10319)

#10603: Ben10: Omniverse announced for Wii U

#10776: Capcom to have no playable Nintendo games at E3

#10824: Ubisoft seeks to capitalize on 'social game benefits' of next-gen consoles

#10841: Analyst believes ubisoft will have F2P Wiiu titles this year:

#10961: [Ubisoft] will have five casual titles and two core titles.

#11097: via linkedin, employee resumés mentioning Wii U projects

#11164: Rumour that Nintendo is using a well-known hip hop honky to promote a project entitled "Acid Ghost", aimed at older gamers.

#11347: "EA think the Wii U is “absolutely” next gen"

#11548: Amazon lists Wii U games for $49.99

#11647: Just Dance confirmed for Wii U

#11649: More detailed "Acid Ghost" rumours

#11911: Wii U games at E3'11 were on SD cards, not optical media. There might have been no optical drives involved at all during the show for the system.

#12437: Patent describes using Wii Remote to drag items from subscreen to TV screen

#12597: Speedtree ("the industry's premier foliage solution") evaluation form querying for interest in Wii U

#12685: Slew of rumours involving console box redesigned, black chassis, Nintendo branded HDMI cables, Retro's project being "massive", 0.7MP DRC camera (note: that'd be around ~1024x768 or maybe 640p), voice chat "running perfectly", a lot of third party games coming for E3

#12854: it seemed Acid Ghost was debunked or at least the latest rumors since.. the "concept" art is from a grad student's DA account or something (restated with source in #13584)

#12887: rumoured confirmation of #11911 and a further rumour that games at E3'12 should be playing off a USB Hard Drive

#13361: Name change unlikely to happen due to "I'm smug and I know stuff, ha ha"

#13388: Industry insider has seen something "green and white" relating to Wii U. Subsequent guesses include Devkits, Yoshi, Luigi, Wiifit Plus, Link, Tingle, GTA V and the likely correct answer: Wart

#13494: Nintendo changing game registration method to avoid consumers buying game → using monetary rewards from game → selling game

#13421: Additional patent diagram views of new "looks more like tilty-sticks" slide pads for 3DS

#13625: Previously missed quote by Peter Moore: "Its online capabilities are really extensive, too, so we’ll be able to differentiate ourselves from the competition more easily with our sports lineup."

#13626: Sega Australia employee's linkedin profile: "Developing downloadable licensed & original IP for… Wii-U"

#13628: "GameStop is already prepared to help launch the first of these new consoles -- Nintendo's Wii U. As it's poised to be t\fe first new machine of the gate, the Wii U will mark the beginning of the new hardware cycle, and GameStop has already devised its launch strategy to take advantage of the eventual spike in hardware sales."

#13640: "update regarding the Wii U trademark opposition in England" (tl;dwr: Nintendo's more or less in the clear)

#13645: "Seems indy studio Empty Clip Studios (Groovin' Blocks) and their RapidFire Engine (multiport) are on Wii U."

#13657: "From the profile of a TT Fusion (LEGO City) Art progammer: 'This is going to be the exclusive launch title for the brand new Wii-U and Wii-2!' … Also, 'only' 34 [artists] working on LEGO City"

#14359: IM reiteration that the system memory usage of the Wii U is "huge, surely never seen before on a normal home system" ("at least 512MB") ; important lherre/IdeaMan followups on #14953, #14957

#14503: Aliens: Colonial Marines video interview, Wii U stuf starts at 7m26s (dev claims DRC is "the best shooter controller I've ever played with from Nintendo", Wii U's will be best looking version, it's a very powerful system, If the Wii U didn't offer a competitive online infrastructure they wouldn't do the game on that platform)

#14554: Best Buy listing for Smash Bros. Wii U

#14605: some ARM components will be there that allow you to use social networking/browse the internet without turning the main CPU/GPU on, or perhaps impacting a paused gaming session. Similar to what is seen in the 3DS, a standby network processor functionality.

#14929: Retro has hired employees from Gearbox, 3D Realms, NCSoft, Ion Storm, et al

#14967: OS is stored in a probably 512MB flash chip which is separate from the user-accessible internal flash used for saves and downloads.

#15210: Yuji Naka about the Wii U

#15430: Something about sticks and home button ligths and start/select moving, weird square thing possibly for NFC placement. Looks like the design seen in some patents that were initially dismissed as being older than the E3'11 DRC. Ah, here's the pic: "http://www.freeimagehosting.net/xb7f8". Backed up by IdeaMan in #15750 and ShockingAlberto in #16293.

#15680: "info stating two Upads will work"

#16124: reiteration of two DRCs; also, no Farcry 3 for Wii U and Assassin's Creed III is unchanged from other versions

#16785: possible Wii U wrist strap diagram from patent

#17237: FLCL (anime) game on Wii U

#18441: we dorks are moving over to Community for the next thread

#18474: Spike and MTV2 to air N-conf (and allegedly the round table, as per #18555 and #18569?? Yup, clarified in #18596)

#18612: e3.nintendo.com announces discussion with Wii U hardware producer Katsuya Eguchi on june 5th at 2:30am EDT

#18705: "Aliens: Colonial Marines" might not be playable on show floor

#18775: Re-mention of no playable show cloor Aliens: CM; also, Kmart lists Wii for $99 in Q3.

#19009: Possibly new patent involving streaming to the 3DS

#19320: Screen size of updated controller may be slightly larger, square button under dpad is definitely for NFC (which couldn't work like on Rayman trailer due to range of the protocol) square button near to power unknown to devs -- might be a screen→DRC switch

#19643: Castlevania Wii U rumour, allegedly cross-compatible with 3DS

#19647: Alleged details on the Wii U StreetPass device

#19700: John Harker implying that the controller has further changes for E3

#19711: Possibly a clue as to how the E3'12 controller will be changed

Next summary will be kept up to date (ish) in this post.

lenovox1

From sounds of things resistive screen, btw how much is a capacitive 6" screen vs a resistive one anyone?

Apparently capacitive could be cheaper or as much as 3X the cost of resistive.

There's a little chip that tells the CPU your touch coordinates and other stuff called a controller. That's the money tipping part in a touch screen setup, and a resistive touch screen setup doesn't require one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom