• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Vita screens

Where are you all getting the sub native res from. I hope people are not expecting 1280x720 because that'll be absurd.

Beyond3d did a pixel count yet? or anybody?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Where are you all getting the sub native res from. I hope people are not expecting 1280x720 because that'll be absurd.

It's almost as bad as a member in the Vita Western Launch thread recommending people download the 1080p version of The Avengers trailer to view on the Vita over the 720p version. I'm sure some people like to throw numbers and resolutions around without actually realizing what they're actually on about.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Is the MGS1 game the PS1 or GC version (with game changes)?

-the only games you're getting in the Vita package are 2 and 3.
-the only way to play MGS1 is to get the existing PS1 version on the store.
-you'll never see Twin Snakes again because it was a co-production with Nintendo and Silicon Knights.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
-the only games you're getting in the Vita package are 2 and 3.
-the only way to play MGS1 is to get the existing PS1 version on the store.
-you'll never see Twin Snakes again because it was a co-production with Nintendo and Silicon Knights.

Thanks, I though the HD pack came with all three MGS games.

I loved Twin Snakes o the GC.

Ridley327

Has this been confirmed ?
Because in Japan the PS3-version of this collection only had MGS2 and MGS3 as well. Peace Walker was a separate release.

Is this even coming to the west ?

I'm telling you that a Peace Walker HD for Vita does not even exist for Japan. There is no reason why they'd do it just for western audiences when there's enough interest for it in Japan as well.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What's up with MGS2 being a horrible port? It ran fine on the cards that were out back then. Ran wonderful on my Radeon 9000 and the configuration options were off the hook. Full button customizing and of course the HD visuals

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Teetris said:
What's up with MGS2 being a horrible port?
I think people were mostly unhappy with downgraded textures and particle fx.
For a PS2-> PC port you might have expected the latter back in the day, but the former was rather sad (MGS2 texturing wasn't that good even for a PS2 game).

I'm comparing the actual game on 3DS to the stills from the Vita. Like my edit said though, it probably looks a hell of a lot better on a Vita due to the OLED screen.

Not to mention it will most likely have a much better drawing distance for things like grass, better aniso and textures too.

Mr_Zombie

What's up with MGS2 being a horrible port? It ran fine on the cards that were out back then. Ran wonderful on my Radeon 9000 and the configuration options were off the hook. Full button customizing and of course the HD visuals

From what I remember, the game had problems with ATI video cards (texture glitches, no faces in CODEC screens); even though they released a patch later on, I still remember having problems with it; to fix the faces in CODEC you had to experiment with graphics options. It also didn't run that great back then (when compared to the PS2 version which run in 60fps).

The controls were crappy due to no press sensitivity so even if you had a gamepad, it was impossible to map all buttons properly because you were forced to use additional button to replace the press sensitivity. And mouse + keyboard controls were even worse. I remember that to use katana (the only weapon you got for the final battle) you either had to use additional five keyboard keys, or a mouse and thus you had to constantly switch your hand between controlling katana and doing other things (operating menus, doing cartwheels, using items etc). In the end I always ended up beating Solidus' ass just by punching him :p.

And it was so straight console to PC port that you really had to press the "Start" button to leave the "press start button" screen. Because, IIRC, by default backspace was the "Start" button and Enter was the "Back" button, first time I played the game I couldn't get out of the start screen because I kept pressing Enter and it didn't even cross my mind that I have to press backspace to proceed further.

It wasn't bad port - if you could get past the graphical problems and get used to controls it was a enjoyable. But it wasn't the port MGS2 - a highly praised AAA game - deserved back then.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I'm telling you that a Peace Walker HD for Vita does not even exist for Japan. There is no reason why they'd do it just for western audiences when there's enough interest for it in Japan as well.

Peace Walker wasn't in the japanese PS3 Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. It was included in the EU/US version though.

Famassu

Peace Walker wasn't in the japanese PS3 Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. It was included in the EU/US version though.
I don't think you understand. Yes, Peace Walker HD was released separately in Japan, but the thing is THERE IS NO PEACE WALKER HD FOR VITA. In any form. There can't be a separate PW HD for Vita if one does not even exist and Konami/Kojima Productions have not announced or even hinted that there would ever be one.

Besides, you can buy Peace walker for Vita right now if you wanted to, no need to wait or even have an HD version, given how good PSP games look on Vita anyways.

Wow, looks terrible. Why would I want to get a Vita for this? Well, at least the series is there if you're so inclined to play it one day.

How could they **** up such a simple game. It looks like it isn't native resolution and has loads of aliasing. The Power VR 5 series can pratically do MSAA for free. Also why can't they run it at native resolution when the PSVita is atleast 5x more powerfull than the PS2.

I already own MGS HD Collection on the Xbox 360 but I was hoping they would use some nicer assets for the PSVita version in order to make it unique. Maybe some higher resolution textures and some better character models.

Now it will just be a straight PS2 port with problably the same framerates (MGS2 @60fps and MGS3 @30fps) and the same resolution (640x480i upressed to 960x544p). Seems pretty lousy to me at full PSVita price.

LeleSocho

Banned
qnWnv.jpg

SoGFa.jpg

sJLXk.jpg
Ugh this looks horrible.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Beyond3d did a pixel count yet? or anybody?
Well, it's visible that the pixels are bigger than they should be. If you zoom the picture up a bit, it becomes pretty clear. No, no one is expecting 1280x720, but Vita's native resolution is 960x544, and it's not unreasonable to expect a PS2 game port to run in that res.

That said, this will look so much better on Vita's screen than it does on a monitor, due to higher pixel density, see Uncharted for an example of this.

Now it will just be a straight PS2 port with problably the same framerates (MGS2 @60fps and MGS3 @30fps) and the same resolution (640x480i upressed to 960x544p). Seems pretty lousy to me at full PSVita price.
448p on PS2, and you're fairly right otherwise... I quickly pixel counted resolution here to be 720x448 (remember, this is 16:9, PS2 version was 4:3).

Well, it's visible that the pixels are bigger than they should be. If you zoom the picture up a bit, it becomes pretty clear. No, no one is expecting 1280x720, but Vita's native resolution is 960x544, and it's not unreasonable to expect a PS2 game port to run in that res.

That said, this will look so much better on Vita's screen than it does on a monitor, due to higher pixel density, see Uncharted for an example of this.

448p on PS2, and you're fairly right otherwise... I quickly pixel counted resolution here to be 720x448 (remember, this is 16:9, PS2 version was 4:3).
I'm pretty eager to see some pixel count either way. I want to know how far off the resolution is from the native Vita resolution.

Oh geez that's a huge difference. Doesn't really change my purchase decisions since I have to have this on a portable. Kojima productions use to be at the pinnacle during the PS2 era. They should at least be able to get a PS2 game running at native Vita resolution.

I'm sure it'll look good on the Vita either way for MGS2. Which is all I want for the Vita.

Oh come on Kojima. Running at the same res as the PS2 version but in widescreen? SMH. This makes the 3DS port look like a labour of love.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh geez that's a huge difference. Doesn't really change my purchase decisions since I have to have this on a portable. Kojima productions use to be at the pinnacle during the PS2 era. They should at least be able to get a PS2 game running at native Vita resolution.

I'm sure it'll look good on the Vita either way for MGS2. Which is all I want for the Vita.
I feel the same way. MGS4 was quite an impressive showcase too. It does look really good on Vita's screen though, you can transfer these screens and see. MGS3 colors look great too. Similar situation as Uncharted in terms of resolution - you don't even think about it while the game is running. This is definitely a day one purchase for me.

Oh come on Kojima. Running at the same res as the PS2 version but in widescreen? SMH. This makes the 3DS port look like a labour of love.
3DS port has some pretty big issues too. For this at least you can say it's 1:1 as PS2 version, except now in proper widescreen. And you get two games.

Joystiq posted this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/11/armature-studio-assisting-with-metal-gear-solid-hd-edition-on-v/

so if I had to guess Bluepoint ported the console versions and now Armature is porting Bluepoints code to Vita.

The release is still a way off so hopefully they can do more optimization.

Dont these HD re releases normally have short development time anyway? So its not unrealistic to expect some changes before release since things move pretty quickly during there development.

I really hope they deliver. I been dreaming of a portable MGS2 for ages and I'll be sinking tons of hours into this game.

I feel that gamers these days, well the gamers that goes on to the forum care too much about the numbers (sells and resolution). Not saying I don't care about the resolution. It impacts me if it hinders my ability to clearly see what's in game. In this case I doubt it will since the game was originally a PS2 game. I understand they want the game at be at it's best, but early on there has to be compromises because the Vita is still new. Compromises in either dev time or budget. Which in this case I think it's budget since it was off sourced and ported.

I'll definitely be purchasing this game day one for the Vita since I'm a huge fan of MGS2.

GQman2121

Banned
The game should ship with a download code for Peace Walker. Speaking of which, is that not PW Big Boss on that cover? That doesn't look like Snake Eater Big Boss at all.

Top Bottom