• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens and interview

Phinor

Overall the visuals seem to be around the same level as GTA 4 but obviously it uses a bit more colour and looks stunning, as does GTA 4 to this day. Textures have been a problem for the whole generation considering how great textures we had in some PC games back in 2001 or so.

But I'm really excited for this game. Almost every new Rockstar game world is worth exploring and I can't wait to start discovering locations in GTA 5 when it finally launches on PC. The hard part is trying to avoid spoilers starting May 2013.

BigDug13

The thing about RDR's size was that it was desolate. To have 3x that size in a huge city? I wonder how many interiors there will be and how dense the interactivity will be throughout.

Those screens will maybe look like that when the PC version hits. I'm not holding my breath on those shots being anywhere near what we will see on current gen consoles.

Also I really hope first person view is an available option from the start instead of it needing to be modded in like gta4.

UrbanRats

Thinking about it, is it really that insane? You cover distance much quicker in a car or in a jet fighter than with a horse. :p
Yeahm even considering stuff like Just Cause 2, which was far bigger than 3 RDR, you could fly from one side to the other rather quickly.
Dan Houser said they did a big map almost exclusively to have enjoyable flight, lol.

Overall the visuals seem to be around the same level as GTA 4 but obviously it uses a bit more colour and looks stunning, as does GTA 4 to this day. Textures have been a problem for the whole generation considering how great textures we had in some PC games back in 2001 or so.

But I'm really excited for this game. Almost every new Rockstar game world is worth exploring and I can't wait to start discovering locations in GTA 5 when it finally launches on PC. The hard part is trying to avoid spoilers starting May 2013.
To me it's a huge step up from GTA4.
Especially in the lighting department and draw distance, but then again, RDR already was.

UrbanRats

The thing about RDR's size was that it was desolate. To have 3x that size in a huge city? I wonder how many interiors there will be and how dense the interactivity will be throughout.

Those screens will maybe look like that when the PC version hits. I'm not holding my breath on those shots being anywhere near what we will see on current gen consoles.

Also I really hope first person view is an available option from the start instead of it needing to be modded in like gta4.

Most of it is NOT actually city though.
Desert, forest, countryside etc.

Tankshell

3youfn.jpg

This shot is really impressive. Most games seem to lose detail in the middle distance (Skyrim, I'm looking at you) which ends up making them look quite bland if you happen to be focusing on that part of the world.

The trees and rock textures in this shot do not appear to lose quality (or density for that matter) all the way back to the other bridge.

EDIT - should make sky diving look pretty cool from up high!

Dabanton

Looks like the best experience this time will be on ps3, if they demoed on it

How do you even spin that line of thinking out?

I think it serves a purpose it puts PS3 owners at ease that R* is not hiding that version as we know what happened with both GTA:IV and RDR.

clemenx

Banned
Is this going to be like San Andreas which ran like ass on PS2? I mean good for PC version but lol. Anyways, good thing they're pushing things.

dreamfall

This shot is really impressive. Most games seem to lose detail in the middle distance (Skyrim, I'm looking at you) which ends up making them look quite bland if you happen to be focusing on that part of the world.

The trees and rock textures in this shot do not appear to lose quality all the way back to the other bridge.

This shot screams Red Dead to me! It's really jaw dropping, so happy parachutes are a go from the start.

Fjordson

Well, like Urban said, it's not just city. There's lot of countryside, with some desert, some mountains, farmlands, etc.

Seems like those will also have a lot of activity, though. What with the wildlife, the improved dynamic missions out in the world, and smaller towns.

Dabanton

This game sounds so big that an in depth video series is looking like a must.

We could have general gameplay,animation,heck even the MP world is sounding crazy.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
All that info pouring from the press... Can't wait for that trailer.

I need info regarding the music we'll get on the radios!

UrbanRats

All that info pouring from the press... Can't wait for that trailer.

I need info regarding the music we'll get on the radios!

This time they're using both radio stations as well as stem based soundtrack (like RDR) for specific moments in the game.
I wonder how they'll handle the two though, if in a mission i hop on a car, do i have the soundtrack or the radio?

Derrick01

Banned
This game is going to look stupid good considering the size and detail of it. I'm really happy that they're demoing it on PS3 but I'm still concerned how it will run on it when it's all said and done.

Fjordson

This time they're using both radio stations as well as stem based soundtrack (like RDR) for specific moments in the game.
I wonder how they'll handle the two though, if in a mission i hop on a car, do i have the soundtrack or the radio?
That's a good question.

I sort of hope the car radio takes priority. Hopping into a car when you have to get the hell out quick and happening upon a situation-appropriate song on the radio is a great part of the GTA experience =D

Speaking of the radio, I like the mention of the radio having more weather reports and news. Always cool when the do news segments on what's going on in the world or reporting on something that happened because of a mission you've done.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
That's a good question.

I sort of hope the car radio takes priority. Hopping into a car when you have to get the hell out quick and happening upon a situation-appropriate song on the radio is a great part of the GTA experience =D

Speaking of the radio, I like the mention of the radio having more weather reports and news. Always cool when the do news segments on what's going on in the world or reporting on something that happened because of a mission you've done.

I just want a WKTT variant sooo bad haha.

Nyx

5 times as big as RDR?

Hope that doesn’t mean we get to drive on roads and not see anyone for 15 minutes, just like in RDR. (well ok, there it’s riding a horse…)

I probably will not do any missions for the first hours and just drive/walk/fly/climb/whatever R* else has planned around :)

This will be one of the PS3 games next-gen has to match with to convince me.

SGRU

Looks like the best experience this time will be on ps3, if they demoed on it

Hopefully, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I'll be more than happy if they leave us make a full install of the disc this time. Loading noise in RDR is just unacceptable.

5 times as big as RDR?

Hope that doesn’t mean we get to drive on roads and not see anyone for 15 minutes, just like in RDR. (well ok, there it’s riding a horse…)

It seems to be 3 times bigger in terms of land area and then 2 times the RDR world is the undersea area. Still pretty huge when you think about it.

i-Lo

How do you even spin that line of thinking out?

I think it serves a purpose it puts PS3 owners at ease that R* is not hiding that version as we know what happened with both GTA:IV and RDR.

True, however I still don't trust them until the final versions are running side by side.

This game is going to look stupid good considering the size and detail of it. I'm really happy that they're demoing it on PS3 but I'm still concerned how it will run on it when it's all said and done.

Pretty much this. They fooled ps3 owners twice & it's best to wait for retail versions to see if R* can deliver.

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty much this. They fooled ps3 owners twice & it's best to wait for retail versions to see if R* can deliver.

Unfortunately I won't be waiting as they didn't leave me much of a choice. I don't have a 360 anymore and there currently is no PC version announced.

StevieP said:
They develop the game on pcs, and their PR department knows how to use Photoshop

They don't usually do bullshots on GTA games. People claimed the same thing on most of the screens released and PC gamers have shown that it's untouched console shots. Mostly because they're not clean enough to be legit PC shots.

Well At least they are putting the LANoire map of Los Angeles to good use, Im pretty sure it has helped to get a nearly an exact replica of modern Los Angeles to do Los Santos, they have even some buildings already build.

Not really impressive the draw distance though, though its a really big map.

UrbanRats

Unfortunately I won't be waiting as they didn't leave me much of a choice. I don't have a 360 anymore and there currently is no PC version announced.

They don't usually do bullshots on GTA games. People claimed the same thing on most of the screens released and PC gamers have shown that it's untouched console shots.

I remember plenty of bullshots from the San Andreas days and even GTA4, at least in terms of antialiasing.

lefantome

Wild assumption.

Yep but GTA IV was demoed on 360 and we know where the problems were.

It could be, and I hope so. I don't want ugly optimization to run the game on console like they did with GTAIV. Image quality is the most important feature with decen draw distance in a free roaming game.
In particular in this case where you have a massive natural environment and high speed vehicles

The trees and rock textures in this shot do not appear to lose quality (or density for that matter) all the way back to the other bridge.

EDIT - should make sky diving look pretty cool from up high!

It's really imprevvise, the lod is great, the art is great and all the trees cast shadows. It should be from the pc version.

Limanima

And once more, the limitations of this generation rear their ugly head.
It saddens me when even the biggest games fail to do anything new technologically.
Bring on the next gen. Yes.

This is my thouhts also. I fail to understand comments like "impecable graphics" or "mindblowing". I'm not even a PC gamer, but the graphics seem just ok, with a very strong aliasing spoiling eveything, and the character models could be better.
The lighting seems good, and the bridge pic looks nice but that's all.
I believe that in motion eveything will look much better, but with those pics I'm not impressed.

Gameplay wise, it's another thing. It really looks great on that department and in the end that's what really maters.

Looking forward to fucking around on mountains on a trail bike / bmx.

Also, I like the character style, it seems like they're trying to hit their drawn art style of the loading scenes

Top Bottom