• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

oled16j74.gif

this is an amazing gif. Does OLED really not suffer from LCD's blur at all?

Well, didn't every PSP other than the PSP Go suffer from uncharacteristically (of LCDs that is) high levels of blur to begin with anyway?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What? Who are you to decide what he should buy or not?

That's my advice. I'm not like the other user who came in calling people suckers. I used to buy 4 and 5 games a month. Didn't do any good. Huge backlogs. I save tons of money. I still get the games I really want but again, it's not me calling him a sucker. Totally different from saying he's wrong or dumb. You think it's a good idea to buy 7-12 games in a weeks span?

macewank

Just not the SOCOM brand lol. You can bash Zipper all you want. I wish some other developer would step up and deliver a true SOCOM experience. I think a game like SOCOM 2 would be viewed as fresh in today's market.

wasn't that what SOCOM: Confrontation was supposed to be? didn't work out so well.

I've been checking every day on my Vita to see when it goes live; just yesterday Sony updated the LiveTile for the store so here's hoping it goes live soon.

Well as long as the demos are there I'm fine. Mine is coming early and all I'll have to play is Little Deviants. :/

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's my advice. I'm not like the other user who came in calling people suckers. I used to buy 4 and 5 games a month. Didn't do any good. Huge backlogs. I save tons of money. I still get the games I really want but again, it's not me calling him a sucker. Totally different from saying he's wrong or dumb. You think it's a good idea to buy 7-12 games in a weeks span?

Yeah, I'm just doing 2-3 games to start.
There will be deals and sales all the time.

Cause I can? ... So you really think Little Deviants is why I bought the FEB? lol. Honestly I don't see the problem it's $50 dollars to get the system 7 days early and adding a game that I wouldn't have bought if I had the choice but that I also might enjoy...

And going back to my original point, I'm just saying you're justifying wasting money. If you've got money to burn, send some this way. I'll wait 7 days, have a memory card twice as big, get to choose the game I want, the case I want, and spend less.

Takao

Banned
PSP games are playable on the Vita at launch?

I thought the backward compatiblity was going to be in a patch later this year.

PSone Classics backwards compatibility will be patched in afterwards. PSP games work day 1.

macewank

I'll wait 7 days, have a memory card twice as big, get to choose the game I want, the case I want, and spend less.

using the same logic, why not wait a year for the price to drop on the console, games, accessories, and flash memory? you're only wasting your money buying it now! IT WILL BE CHEAPER IF YOU WAIT!

also, for what it's worth, FEB comes with the same free game choice the launch one does.. little deviants is an "on top of" deal.

Carl

And going back to my original point, I'm just saying you're justifying wasting money. If you've got money to burn, send some this way. I'll wait 7 days, have a memory card twice as big, get to choose the game I want, the case I want, and spend less.

Woop-de-fucking-doo. Do you really need to tell people they're "justifying wasting their money"? It's his money, he can do what he wants with it.

PSP games are playable on the Vita at launch?

I thought the backward compatiblity was going to be in a patch later this year.

no mate, ps1 games arent supported.

Good for you!

wasn't that what SOCOM: Confrontation was supposed to be? didn't work out so well.

Don't want to derail this thread much more but Confrontation had terrible lag and framerate and took over a year after launch to become at least good. I am talking multiple game freezes a night and constant game kicks for a full year.

All that said Confrontation still had more concurrent online players than any other Playstation exclusive. Hardly a failure.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hope you are being sarcastic.

Generally yes. But these SB ads have been dreadful. A Vita ad would have put a smile on my face at the very least. And I am surprised they didn't have a Vita ad. They've done SB ads for a lot smaller products.

I agree with you, but if that's how he wants to spend his money, that's how he'll spend it.

Sony's vita advertising has been piss poor.

there's absolutely no doubt this thing is being sent out to die.

The launch lineup is phenomenal, but it doesn't really have much mainstream appeal. Maybe why that's why Sony's been light on the advertising and would rather spend most of it during the fall when they have a Call of Duty game to appeal to the masses.

Carl

Sony's been light on the advertising and would rather spend most of it during the fall when they have a Call of Duty game to appeal to the masses.

Will they even be allowed to advertise the Vita version? Since World at War (i think), MS has had exclusive advertising rights (it only ever mentions Xbox at the end of adverts).

The launch lineup is phenomenal, but it doesn't really have much mainstream appeal. Maybe why that's why Sony's been light on the advertising and would rather spend most of it during the fall when they have a Call of Duty game to appeal to the masses.

I think they're saving their big ad push for the 4th quarter. However, some advertising would do right now.

that would make sense..... if they were actually doing other advertising

Them social clubs im sure are costing a pretty penny. Though id like to see some real adverts I havent seen any on tv (admittingly not a big tv guy) but 2 weeks prior to the 3ds launch i recall commercials and a few different things on g4 ondemand....right now on g4 on-demand all they have is a shitty little social club spot iirc.

my order is still undecided, not sure if i want to wait a week....so hard when subbed to this and the other Vita threads.

games are def going to be HSG and VT. Oddly enough same IP's i came home with with my first psp. wish i could afford some of the lists i see people posting, just not in the cards for me right now.

I've been checking every day on my Vita to see when it goes live; just yesterday Sony updated the LiveTile for the store so here's hoping it goes live soon.

http://i.imgur.com/DPxIa.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well, the SEN update goes up on the 8th so I'm hoping that's the date that opens the floodgates for Vita stuff.

I was truly waiting for Namco to say something like the Western release of Ridge was going to include all the DLC but so far nothing yet so I'm not planning on buying it anymore, it's their loss.

Durante

oled16j74.gif

this is an amazing gif. Does OLED really not suffer from LCD's blur at all?
OLED response time is generally <0.01 ms. And that's not some bullshit marketing number, that's just what it is.

I'd go so far as to say that OLED is the first real portable gaming display technology.

Carl

I think most marketing money is being spent on getting Vita into the hands of the consumers and relying on that to sell it to a lot of people, and word of mouth to do the rest. In the US there have been loads of "come play Vita" things. Here in the UK Sony has got a Vita into every store of the biggest game retailer in the country, as well as also doing "come play Vita events."

Just hope that works for them

Wasnt interested in getting a vita at launch then I tried one out at my local gamestop and it was pretty awesome. My only issue was the right stick was really close to the X button. It felt good to hold and was impressed with how light it was. And that OLED screen was really nice. Will probaly grab one on release day with hot shots golf.

I think most marketing money is being spent on getting Vita into the hands of the consumers and relying on that to sell it to a lot of people, and word of mouth to do the rest. In the US there have been loads of "come play Vita" things. Here in the UK Sony has got a Vita into every store of the biggest game retailer in the country, as well as also doing "come play Vita events."

Just hope that works for them

It wont but I hope I am wrong.

Lol. Just won $90 on Super bowl squares. That locks in my 32gb and maybe anothe game at launch.

I should just upgrade to the FEB master race bundle.

suikodan

I'm really excited about the Vita and I didn't know about the right stick mapping.

Wow, to be able to "fully" play Peace Walker and other games with the right stick is going to be awesome and I can't wait to see the OLED screen live.

I'm going all-in digital with this thing. I'll have (hopefully) my 32Gb memory stick shipped by then so watch the free space on it drop like a rock!!!

Other than Uncharted, the launch line-up doesn't really excite me but I'll have lots of PSP games to revisit anyways.

Ran rp

Do you guys think 8GB will be enough for a few months or until a sale happens? I'd be using it for a few PSP games, demos, saves, and hopefully some music?

All retail Vita games will be bought at retail.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Only so much that advertising will do for a $250 handheld.

Advertise a bit, like they are, save the money for later on around the holiday quarter.

Lothars

It wont but I hope I am wrong.
I disagree mainly because it sounds like a hands on experience is the way to sell the system, So if they get it out to every bestbuy, walmart and most stores giving people a hands on experience. That will sell the system than a superbowl ad.

Is big spending on marketing really going to affect launch sales that much? I agree they need to some, but early adopters are typically those that visit tech sites and gaming sites. Word of mouth and the holiday blitz will be how this thing takes off. I mean this thing is getting an Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and COD by years end. That is huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom