• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visit David Jaffe, get a Cookie

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is the first result I get from a Google image search for biscuit:

rsz_biscuit.png

The defense rests.
LOL

This is the first result I get from a Google image search for biscuit:

rsz_biscuit.png

The defense rests.

Philistines

biscuit
nom masculin
(de bis et cuit)

Galette de farine peu levée, dure et sèche, destinée autrefois aux marins et aux soldats.
Pâtisserie faite de farine, sucre, matières grasses, œufs, etc., susceptible, après cuisson, de conserver ses qualités pendant un temps donné.

Le biscuit selon Wikipedia: Dans l’alimentation , un biscuit est un petit gateau sec.
Le biscuit est surtout utilisé par les marins à l’époque, puisqu’il restait comestible plus longtemps que le pain. pas très excitant vu comme ça… une sorte de pis-aller… une punition presque…

Biscuit is the right word.

We weren't in the Civil War, it was just you.

You need that English schoolin' boy.
edit, lol, this thread delivers.

Fair enough, I couldn't find a picture of the tantric mushroom gravy covered biscuits from Morning Glory Cafe in Eugene, OR or I would have shown that. If you would puke when you saw that version of luscious biscuits and gravy, then you would, sadly, have no sense of what is tasty, tasty food.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh, so its great to insult people, then when someone gets offended, you need to lighten up?

If I said half of what I was thinking, I'd be banned.

Point stands. I really dislike a lot of the comments made in this thread.
Saying American's don't know what a biscuit is, and the British can't say mom, isn't an insult, it's a joke.

When your country spawns a band a tenth of the quality of The Beatles, or Radiohead, or Led Zeppelin, or The Rolling Stones, or Pink Floyd, or Queen, or Black Sabbath, we can start talking about laying off the boy bands.

All of those bands ripped off American musicians

Raist

Banned
It's amazing how the OP managed to instantly derail his own thread with just that one side comment. Always funny to see brits and muricans have dem fighting words tho.

You guys both suck anyway

So are we expecting to get a bit of info soon or something regarding their game?

border

You really should, it's incredible.

For what? Banter?

Evilore isn't the Grinch.

Because the thread has just turned to garbage due to some dumb and pointless flamebait comments in the OP.

David Jaffe has a new game and instead of talking about that we have nearly 200 replies of people screaming about scones and biscuits.

shaowebb

That's a fucking scone.

Actually its not. A scone has more of a muffin texture than an American "biscuit" which is typically just milk, flour, and butter. American Biscuits are like a less porous crumpet if that helps, but unlike a crumpet the actual pastry itself varies in density ranging from slightly more dense than a muffin to a damned weighty brick that will not digest that stays with your forever.

We serve them with everything from jelly, honey, or butter like a typical crumpet to using them like a really dense bun to sandwich breakfast items like bacon, sausage, eggs and or cheese. They're pretty filling and are usually a bit wider than a muffin.

Hope all this helps as I dont actually think Britain has anything thats precisely like an American biscuit. My grandmother used to make them up and manage to get them to have a lightly crusted outside with an incredibly fluffy interior that had a buttery pastry flavor with a hint of bacon. Woman was a true country grandma and could make some amazing "biscuits."

Miguel81

Untitled_2.jpg

Okay, so it's not a cookie, it's a biscuit, but GAF is predominately Americans, so I'll use your inferior word for the sake of being communicative. Speaking of communication, David Jaffe's new studio appears to be presenting videos chronicling the goings on of their spooky office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCfuWFL3KQ

Stupid voice distortion and shaky cams aside, Jaffe has a history of being blunt and transparent to a fault. I personally find that refreshing, and entertaining, so fingers crossed these videos evolve into an interesting look at a project in development. As far as the game itself, this first video isn't revealing any secrets, with the exception of the team using DualShock 3s.

Check it out for yourself, but keep the lights on...

Dave looks great disheveled.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You know, we invented the language.

Why the hate?

If by "invented" you mean "stole from the Germans." And then patched up the holes with words from other languages. English is a giant patchwork quilt of a language; nobody can really claim to have "invented" it. It just sort of happened.

Besides, Americans for the most part sound today like British subjects sounded in the 1700s. The British side of the language and accent have changed dramatically over the last 200 or so years, while the American side has remained mostly the same. If you go further back to Shakespeare's time the accent sounds like Hagrid crossed with an Appalachian hillbilly. English is strikingly fluid, to the point that trying to pin down a "definitive" version is essentially impossible.

That said, calling cookies "biscuits" really is pretty dumb.

If by "invented" you mean "stole from the Germans." And then patched up the holes with words from other languages. English is a giant patchwork quilt of a language; nobody can really claim to have "invented" it. It just sort of happened.

Besides, Americans for the most part sound today like British subjects sounded in the 1700s. The British side of the language and accent have changed dramatically over the last 200 or so years, while the American side has remained mostly the same. If you go further back to Shakespeare's time the accent sounds like Hagrid crossed with an Appalachian hillbilly. English is strikingly fluid, to the point that trying to pin down a "definitive" version is essentially impossible.

That said, calling cookies "biscuits" really is pretty dumb.

Well, technically they were Germans, I'm not sure it's fair to say they stole their own language. Certainly as you say the language has come to "borrow" everything it's ever come in contact with.

I never call cookies anything because they are never around long enough to talk about them.

Avixph

I love the direction this thread has gone in.

I shall bump it next time there's a video and he's showing some other item which was bastardized by the American language.

No the English the Brits speak is a bastardization of the English Language.

Top Bottom