• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

D-e-f-

Banned
I'd expect a January Direct over one in December.

There will be a Direct in December. There's always one. December is one of the months in the two-month pattern. But we're in a monthly pattern now anyway. It might just be a Japan-only Direct, though. It's out of the question that there'll be one this month, though. There have been at least two in every month of this year. I also don't doubt that this trend will continue next year. The only question is: which one will be the BIG one, the 2014 preview where we'll get the proper X-unveiling.

I did my part to support third parties and picked up Ghosts, Rayman Legends, and Splinter Cell yesterday.

Yea, doing my part as well over here.

I even picked up this sucker:
ac4zyz0g.jpg

Nudull

Banned
I did my part to support third parties and picked up Ghosts, Rayman Legends, and Splinter Cell yesterday.

Funny enough, half of the games I have so far are third party (ZombiU, Scribblenauts, Tekken, etc.), and they're all great. Glad people are doing their part, too.

D-e-f-

Banned
I bet that will be rare one day.

I bet I have the only Wii U copy of that one on GAF :p

Funny enough, half of the games I have so far are third party (ZombiU, Scribblenauts, Tekken), and they're all great. Glad people are doing their part, too.

More than half for me even^^ 10:8
EA, Capcom, Ubisoft and WB should kneel before me and port all their promising looking stuff! :p

Funny enough, half of the games I have so far are third party (ZombiU, Scribblenauts, Tekken), and they're all great. Glad people are doing their part, too.
Half of mine are 3rd Party too.

- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Lego City: Undercover
- Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land

- Sonic & All-Stars Racing
- Darksiders 2
- Batman: Arkham City
- Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

My next purchases are Rayman Legends, 3D World, Arkham Origins and maybe Assassin's Creed IV.

Problem is that I only played the first Assassin's Creed, but never got into it, but man, I like this pirate theme (see my name ^^)
and I don't like playing sequels when I didn't play the predecessors.

And maybe Wonderful 101 & Monster Hunter, but never got into the demos.

Thankfully, some of my other friends have the other two systems so I don't have to buy them to p(l)ay (for) everything. ^^

Anth0ny

Well if they are going to announce something that matters at VGX I think they need to have a Direct next week telling Nintendo fans to tune in. Otherwise I'd say it's a show that doesn't reach many Nintendo fans.

Plus now with ALBW and 3D World out of the door it's time to start hyping the next big thing from Nintendo. Donkey Kong is one. What else?

Donkey Kong and Kart. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what they have to show at VGX.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I bet I have the only Wii U copy of that one on GAF :p

More than half for me even^^ 10:8
EA, Capcom, Ubisoft and WB should kneel before me and port all their promising looking stuff! :p
I was tempted by a ACIV special edition, but I gave up because I prefer the laziness of switching the games without getting out of the bad when I play off-tv late at night.

I wish I cared about 3rd parties on the Wii U, I did get Monster Hunter and Neo Assault at least.

I'm interested in Zombi U but I'm completely out of cash.

Possum

Alright, I think it's the time for me to finally jump in! I recently chose the Wii U over the Xbox One for this Christmas, and right now I'm just deciding on what games I want to get. So far, this is my list:
  • New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U (included)
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
And here's my list of "maybes":
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U
I've never played a Monster Hunter game, so I just don't know if I'd like it. And I've heard great things from the community here about The Wonderful 101, so I'm still deciding on that. Any opinions on Sonic Lost World?

Sendou

• Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U

I've never played a Monster Hunter game, so I just don't know if I'd like it. And I've heard great things from the community here about The Wonderful 101, so I'm still deciding on that. Any opinions on Sonic Lost World?

Last two are kind of hit or miss. Definitely don't get them over the first three. They're extremely good games.

ozfunghi

I bet that will be rare one day.

One day? lol

Anyway, from my library, 3rd parties can't complain either: ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, Batman Arkham City, Need for Speed MW, Trine2, Nano Assault, Edge, Toki Tori & Mighty Switch Force. Soon to be accompanied by Deus Ex, Mass Effect 3, Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed 4 and (probably) Tekken TT2. I only own 4 Nintendo retail games (Pikmin 3, Nin'land, Windwaker, NSMBU) plus Earthbound.

Alright, I think it's the time for me to finally jump in! I recently chose the Wii U over the Xbox One for this Christmas, and right now I'm just deciding on what games I want to get. So far, this is my list:
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U
Going by these games I would recommend you Sonic & All-Stars Racing too, if you like Mario Kart. :)

Needs some time to get used to it, maybe one hour, but then it's great.

Zalman

Any opinions on Sonic Lost World?
I really enjoyed this game. I'm a pretty big Sonic fan, but I recognize bad games when I see them (Sonic '06, Secret Rings etc.) This game was totally fine for me. If you're a Sonic fan, there's no reason to not give it a shot. If not, go watch some gameplay first to make sure it looks like something for you. It's a fairly polarizing game.

Also yes, Sonic Racing is an absolute must-own for kart racing fans. The Wii U version is considered the definitive.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
In case any Canadians are in here and don't check the deals thread, Rayman Legends is $30 new at EBgames, picked one up today.

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U

I've been messing around with the Wii U, and the one game you can't miss is W101, it's fantastic.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
[/LIST]
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U

For Sonic Lost World and MH3U there are demos in the eshop. Also for W101, but that demo doesn't do justice to the actual game. You should also consider that the level in the Sonic Lost World is actually one of the best levels in the game, but if you get use to Sonic controls you will be fine. I kind of like Sonic Lost World, but better judge for yourself.

Nintendo Land is a very good game for everything (single player, co-op and party games). You can find it quite cheap and it is worthy of every penny.

Wii Party U is also great for parties (there are so many games that is practically impossible not to find some modes you like), but is nice also played in two. If you need a Wii remote plus it is a perfect choice.

D-e-f-

Banned
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U

Have you considered ZombiU? Fantastic GamePad showpiece and truly great survival horror revival (no pun intended).

Also, there are demos for ZombiU, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 U and Sonic Lost World on the eShop in all regions. So know that you can try all of those out once you have a system. Though the MH demo isn't really that helpful as it doesn't explain anything and this is a slow-burn game that thrives on its community-driven/cooperative nature to some extent. Maybe watch some Let's Plays of MH3 to get a feel for what the game "is" by seeing other people play it. Similar case with TW101. The demo throws you right in and just shows you quite tame stuff whereas the game goes completely bananas in all regards and has super-deep combat that you won't grasp from playing through the demo once. They're games to get invested in. The payoff is great but they require attention.

Oh yea, and Nintendo Land is a fantastic title. Great, obviously, for multiplayer but it also has a lot of stuff to keep you busy in solo sessions. All but three of the games can be played solo.

KLonso

I think I'm going to pick up a Wii U sometime soon, and I was wondering if picking up extra controllers is a necessary investment. I don't currently have any of the original wii remotes anymore, so are there any games where those or the pro controller are far and away the best way to play the game, or will I be fine with just the game pad?

prag16

Banned
I think I'm going to pick up a Wii U sometime soon, and I was wondering if picking up extra controllers is a necessary investment. I don't currently have any of the original wii remotes anymore, so are there any games where those or the pro controller are far and away the best way to play the game, or will I be fine with just the game pad?
For the most part the gamepad will be fine for single player games. For Pikmin you're gonna want mote/chuck most likely. And obviously for any multiplayer games you'll need mote(chucks) and in some cases pro controllers.

For Pikmin it's REALLY recommended to play with wiimote+nunchuk.

kunonabi

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U

Those are all very worthwhile selections. Sonic is great, I really enjoy it. Nintendo Land and W101 should be a part of every wii u library.

Pro controller is pretty unnecessary outside of multiplayer and even then most games can be played with classic controllers.

maxcriden

I would be very, very surprised if Zelda comes out next year. We've had two Zelda games at the tail end of 2013 already and even by Nintendo's standards, releasing another one only a year later would risk ridiculous over-saturation. As a major flagship title, I suspect they'll also give it more than two years' development time.

I would not be surprised if we get MM3D next year, though. We did get OOT 3D two and a half years ago.

Smash is NOT getting released early 2014, and I can see Mario Kart getting released mid 2014.

Isn't Mario Kart slated for Spring 2014 per the last Nintendo financial briefing?

KLonso

Does anyone have any recommendations for Wii Games I should pick up eventually after I get my Wii U? I already plan to pick up Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Little King's Story, and Skyward Sword

Riki

Does anyone have any recommendations for Wii Games I should pick up eventually after I get my Wii U? I already plan to pick up Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Little King's Story, and Skyward Sword

You did good.
Might I also suggest No More Heroes and Excite Trucks as well as Xenoblade?

xandaca

I've got both CODs, Rayman, Wonderful 101, Splinter Cell, Sonic, FIFA, tried to get Ass Creed IV but my card was turned down for some incomprehensible reason, former owner of Ninja Gaiden, Darksiders II and Resident Evil Revelations.

I've got both CODs, Rayman, Wonderful 101, Splinter Cell, Sonic, FIFA, tried to get Ass Creed IV but my card was turned down for some incomprehensible reason, former owner of Ninja Gaiden, Darksiders II and Resident Evil Revelations.

I'm jealous. I ran out of disposable money before I got either CoD, splinter cell, rayman, sonic, the arkham games, or the asscreeds. or deus ex. or MH3U. or Ninja gaiden

Someday.....

And with my luck I've probably purchased the console just in time for every single one of those franchises to give up on it.

sphagnum

Banned

A Boy and His Blob
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
The Last Story
Lost in Shadow
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Pandora's Tower
Punch-Out!!
Rayman Origins
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Sonic Colors
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports Resort
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

The Wii has a great library. I could go on and on for days.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
A Boy and His Blob
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
The Last Story
Lost in Shadow
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Pandora's Tower
Punch-Out!!
Rayman Origins
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Sonic Colors
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports Resort
Xenoblade Chronicles
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

The Wii has a great library. I could go on and on for days.

I'd add Bit.Trip Complete too if you can find it.

Anth0ny

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Rayman Legends
  • Pikmin 3
  • Nintendo Land
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Wii Party U

Wonderful 101 is a must own.

Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are game of the generation tier.

I'd also go with Brawl, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, No More Heroes, and Donkey Kong Country Returns (get homebrew on your Wii so you can play DKCR with a classic controller).

Effect

This is crazy. At the beginning of the year there were no games of significance to buy I felt. Now there are far to many to buy (new and older games I passed on) and money is limited. Black Friday deals makes this even more frustrating due to prices being cut but at the same time not cut low enough considering I had just purchased Super Mario 3D World.

My issue is that I don't want to keep buying titles where I get so frustrated that I don't even want them apart of my collection. I want the replay value to be high and satisfying on a second playthrough and I'm finding that the third party games I have gotten in the past seem to fall into the frustrating and lack of replay value categories after a while. Funny enough those games happen to be Assassin's Creed (3 and 4) and Call of Duty (Black Ops 2 and Ghost) games. I guess I should simply stay away from those series going forward. I've since gotten ride of them. With Ghost and AC4 sold fairly recently and the money used to get a Wii U Fit Meter and several other non-gaming items thanks to the decent price Amazon offered. AC4 I got over 50 hours out of while Ghost just frustrated me to no end and I regretted purchasing it. I've said it before but I I firmly believe now that was my last Call of duty game.

Going to try and see if I can find a few games for cheap in December. I'd like to have Ninja Gaiden back. I'm unsure if Batman is a game I'd be willing to replay whenever the mode strikes me. Chances are Wonderful 101 is the most likely purchase as I can replay that over and over again for the different high scores. Which is weird because I used to didn't care for high score games. However those now seem to fit my schedule better when I don't have time for RPGS (my genre of choice).

So thinking the following.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (rebuy. Was a launch game for me.)
Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Mass Effect 3 (maybe)(don't mind if there are no Wii U versions of ME1 and 2. I have them on the 360 anyway.)

Wonderful 101 and Sonic will be the easiest to get. With the others I'll have to look around more for the best price.

As for my third party list. I have the following still have that won't be sold.

ZombiU
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover (but this count as it was published by Nintendo?)

jmizzal

Edit:
I wan't a new Nintendo Direct.

I think we will get a WiiU ND either right before the VGX Reggie announcement or the week right after it.

There will be a Direct in December. There's always one. December is one of the months in the two-month pattern. But we're in a monthly pattern now anyway. It might just be a Japan-only Direct, though. It's out of the question that there'll be one this month, though. There have been at least two in every month of this year. I also don't doubt that this trend will continue next year. The only question is: which one will be the BIG one, the 2014 preview where we'll get the proper X-unveiling.

Since we dont have a date for anything in 2014 besides DKCTF, I would think they would have a ND in Dec., they have to atleast say whats Q1 and Q2 before 2014 starts, waiting til Jan will be cutting it really close.

Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are game of the generation tier.

I'd also go with Brawl, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, No More Heroes, and Donkey Kong Country Returns (get homebrew on your Wii so you can play DKCR with a classic controller).
These seem to be the essentials but I'm also gonna add Punch-Out

disap.ed

Will there be a NSMBU / Luigi U retail pack, I mean like in the bundles on one disk?
Would also be happy with a combined download for a lower price than the single games.

D-e-f-

Banned
Will there be a NSMBU / Luigi U retail pack, I mean like in the bundles on one disk?
Would also be happy with a combined download for a lower price than the single games.

Nothing indicates this will happen. It might, though. Since they already made a unique box for the HW bundles. Nobody knows.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Interesting bit of information regarding Fast Racing Neo, according to Shin'en's twitter it'll have more drivers in a race than Fast Racing League.

"Ok, we take you by the word: FRN will have much more drivers in a race then FRL".

Zalman

They're selling the standalone version of NSLU during the Year of Luigi so maybe when that goes out of print some time next year.

ozfunghi

Word to the wise: play the Last Story before you play Xenoblade. Both games are often mentioned in one breath, but The Last Story deserves to be played without the bar being raised out of proportions by Xenoblade's epic awesomeness. tLS is a nice little RPG, but its scope is but a fraction of that of Xenoblade.

ozfunghi

Two years ago, Ubisoft showed a working version of Ghost Recon on the WiiU. This was at E3. It was supposed to be a F2P game... has anyone heard anything of this since? Has it been officially canned?

Nudull

Banned
Now that I have my Wii U and most of the games I've wanted, I can focus on getting some of the other stuff when I get my budget back up. I know that I still want Deus Ex, Arkham City and Mario & Sonic, and I'm getting very curious about Pikmin 3, and W101. I'll also be building my Wii library back up, starting with Galaxy 2 (which I haven't played before) and Brawl. I haven't played The Last Story or Xenoblade Chronicles either, so I'll need to track them down.

Anth0ny

Now that I have my Wii U and most of the games I've wanted, I can focus on getting some of the other stuff when I get my budget back up. I know that I still want Deus Ex, Arkham City and Mario & Sonic, and I'm getting very curious about Pikmin 3, and W101. I'll also be building my Wii library back up, starting with Galaxy 2 (which I haven't played before) and Brawl. I haven't played The Last Story or Xenoblade Chronicles either, so I'll need to track them down.

Get on the bolded. Now.

We're talking about the best Wii game and #2 and #3 Wii U games here. Forget everything else.

kunonabi

Well I think I'm almost prepared for anything the wii u can throw at me.

I picked up some accessories this weekend so now I have:

external harddrive
larger capacity battery
Wii Fit Meter
Balance Board
4 wiimote+ controllers in white, black, red, and gold with matching nunchuks and cc pros
2 Wii Zappers
Wii Wheel(white)
Classic Controller(white)

Everything is an official Nintendo product aside from the harddrive

I still need the TvC fight stick and maybe the Super Famicom CC.

Top Bottom