• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2013

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
LEGO Marvel is pretty fun. My wife and I have been going through the game. Though, you have to understand that there are bugs...lots of them. Spidey is awesome and I think both Wolverine and Spider-man get a lot of screen time. The game saves all the time, so no problems there.

Oh, and there were a few jokes in the game, but I felt like LEGO City is funnier. Good game, though.

Great news about the saving system and about those characters
Are the bugs...game-breaking bugs?
Is the game quite long?

EDarkness

Great news about the saving system and about those characters
Are the bugs...game-breaking bugs?
Is the game quite long?

The game is long enough. I can't say how many hours because my wife and I spent a lot of time wandering around the city looking for characters and flying around. The only real game-breaking bug we had was on one stage where it wouldn't let us finish together. She had to drop out and I was forced to finish the mission alone. I've heard that there are some problems with using the Pro Controller and the Wiipad. Not sure if that's true or not, but it was still good to play with my wife on the TV and me on the Wiipad.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The game is long enough. I can't say how many hours because my wife and I spent a lot of time wandering around the city looking for characters and flying around. The only real game-breaking bug we had was on one stage where it wouldn't let us finish together. She had to drop out and I was forced to finish the mission alone. I've heard that there are some problems with using the Pro Controller and the Wiipad. Not sure if that's true or not, but it was still good to play with my wife on the TV and me on the Wiipad.

thank you very much for the impression: I've time until this evening to decide to pick it up or not at that price

Lexxism

Hmmm. I purchased my first game(Wii Sports Tennis) on my WiiU eshop yesterday(around 6pm). I tried logging in now and yet it still say the same thing..

Sign in failed.
You cannot participate in this promotion until the day after you purchase games and content at the Nintendo eShop.
Please ensure you are in a country that is eligible for this promotion. Only users that created a Nintendo Network ID on a Wii U Deluxe Set are eligible for this promotion

How long do you usually wait for this? 2 days? etc?

onipex

I still think Animal Crossing isn't a big enough title to carry Nintendo's 2014 holiday on a console like the Wii U. In your scenario, Mario Kart & Smash would have been released over 6 months ago at that point, which seems too far ahead in my opinion. I guess Nintendo has to take that chance instead of letting the Wii U die for another 8 months until the 2014 holidays.

These games don't just come out of nowhere imo though. What we know so far is probably a lot of the stuff they've been planning/working on the past 2 years. Basically I'm trying to think of what teams Nintendo may have free to work on this title.

We've got Retro at least mostly on DKC.
EAD Tokyo just finished with Mario 3D World.
The Zelda team finished Link between Worlds and WW HD and likely is working on Zelda U. (These guys seem swamped imo.)
Monolith is working on X. (new part helped on Link Between Worlds)
Part of Platinum is on Bayonetta 2 (as they seemed to work on W101 and Bayo 2 concurrently).
Fire Emblem guys either on FE x SMT or a new game of some sort, likely an SRPG. They at least finished Awakening mostly early 2012.
Good Feel on Yarn Yoshi.
Sakurai & Sora & Namco helpers on Smash.
Mario Kart team on Mario Kart.
Namco help on Wii Sports Club.

So what teams are somewhat open? The folks that worked on NSMBU at least partly worked on Luigi U. Maybe they started on something late 2012. Pikmin 3 folks finished recently, so apart from the DLC, I'm sure part of their team has started on something else. Miyamoto's secret project exists. Animal Crossing team finished New Leaf end of 2012. I think the Pokemon company will have SOMETHING for Wii U in the next 2 years (aka not Rumble or some low-cost effort), because they are a huge untapped resource and the Wii U needs it. We've got the small new teams like Grezzo that worked on the Streetpass games. I think we maybe have 1 or 2 more titles that could potentially come out in 2014 that we don't know about, but I think we've heard most of what Nintendo is working on, considering we even heard about weird cross-overs like FExSMT.

So what could Nintendo squeeze out of third parties?
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for next holidays? Monster Hunter 4 did well, so Nintendo might be able to get another 3DS/Wii U simultaneous release.
If Watch Dogs did well, maybe Ubisoft could contribute with some multi-platform efforts....
Lego games, Disney, Skylanders, Just Dance... hopefully

Anything else though?
Just my guesses:

Next Zumba game.
Mist Walker was rumored to be working on some Wii U game.
Ganbarion (Pandora's Tower) co-developed Wii Fit U so they could be working on a Wii U game.
Headstrong Games (Batallion Wars 2, House of the Dead: OVERKILL and the Art Academy) was rumored to be working on something.
Treasure . They are working on something for 3DS right now.
Artoon (fling smash) could be working on something
Sandlot (Zangeki no REGINLEIV)
Namco, because its hard to believe they are not working on another Wii U game.
Sega
Capcom, because if Megaman is in smash and Nintendo isn't getting a new megaman game someone needs to be fired.
Team Ninja said last August that they will continue support
Tecmo, because Nintendo owns Fatal Frame now

Nintendo really needs to get with indies and fund some exclusives like they did with Platinum . Hell pick up where Sega left off with the Wii and even fund a High Voltage Software FPS just put the Nintendo polish on it. Same could be done with getting n-space to make a Wii U game.

I really like Nintendos 3rd Party Coop-Approach, I hope they continue with this.

This gives them exclusive games, brings them closer to 3rd Parties & the games will most probably sell better than a standard 3rd Party.

And this seems like a "Nintendo-approach" of things, no moneyhatting, etc.

- Lego City: Undercover (Warner)
- The Wonderful 101 (Platinum)
- Bayonetta 2 (Platinum)
- Fire Emblem × Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus)

(- Super Smash Bros. 4 (Bandai Namco))

ozfunghi

Can't feel sorry for them like.. at all
They put themselves into this shitty situtation in first place.
And I'm not only talking about Wii U or Wii.
Somehow, every generation they managed to screw thing up to the point their audience shrunk more and more.

They're such an stubborn company.
Following some industry standards won't kill them. If you want to make money big time, you need to spend it big time. There no other way around.

They have two options here... they either stop this "we can't compete in the console race" shit or they settle with their tiny fanbase.
I find it funny everytime they say they are after the "hardcore" aka dudebro audience.
That audience loves "power" loves "high end console" "shooters" and all that stuff PS360 are known for. Things Nintendo can't provide. They don't care about Nintendo's innovative controllers and underpowered hardware.

I don't know, I like Nintendo as much as every guy here does but they need a wake up call. Hopefully this is what they need to do so.

I feel Nintendo needs to and can do a couple of things.

1/ If 3rd parties are unwilling to port multiplat games to Nintendo's platforms for whatever reason (too weak, not profitable etc), Nintendo should concider devoting one or two (new and tech-savy) smaller studio's to porting 3rd party games themselves. They pay for the port, for publishing, but split the profit with the owner. No need to go after every 3rd party game, just the key titles, the ones they need to compliment their own line-up. Would Rockstar be opposed to Nintendo making their own port, if they got royalties and a large percentage of the earnings they would otherwise miss out on? Consumers could buy in confidence, since a Nintendo internal team, is handling the port, wanting to make the best of it.

2/ Expand their own line-up (and studio's). Even if the games don't sell as well as Nintendo platformers, you can't deny the amount of good a game like Metroid Prime did when it came to public perception. WIthout it and the RE games, the gamecube really was "a Mario/kids box". Nintendo needs to have their own FPS, sports, racing... alternatives not including Mario, if none (decent) are being provided by 3rd parties. Even if the ZombiU's and Project Cars don't prove to be big sellers, the platform needs games like that. If need be, Nintendo has to create them their selves. Especially if they are unique experiences.

L~A

Just my guesses:

Next Zumba game. What, the Zumba fitness game?
Mist Walker was rumored to be working on some Wii U game. What rumour?
Ganbarion (Pandora's Tower) co-developed Wii Fit U so they could be working on a Wii U game. No. They just finished working on One Piece Unlimited World and Wii Fit U, so if they're working on something new, especially for the Wii U, it won't be ready before 2015.
Headstrong Games (Batallion Wars 2, House of the Dead: OVERKILL and the Art Academy) was rumored to be working on something. That's Art Academy U.
Treasure . They are working on something for 3DS right now. They're already done, but their next project, whatever it is, probably won't be revealed before a very long while.
Artoon (fling smash) could be working on something. "They"'re making New Yoshi on 3DS.
Namco, because its hard to believe they are not working on another Wii U game. They already got their hands quite full with the new Super Smash Bros game, and also the other Wii Sports U sports.
Sega There's that 3rd Sonic game, yeah. But other than that nothing to see.
Capcom, because if Megaman is in smash and Nintendo isn't getting a new megaman game someone needs to be fired. Yeah, and Snake in Brawl meant a MGS game on a Nintendo console, right?... Though I agree, there was MGS3DS.
Team Ninja said last August that they will continue support TN is part of Tecmo-Koei, so it's not really up to them to decide whether to continue support or not.
Tecmo, because Nintendo owns Fatal Frame now What does owning an IP got anything to do with anything?

Nintendo really needs to get with indies and fund some exclusives like they did with Platinum . Hell pick up where Sega left off with the Wii and even fund a High Voltage Software FPS just put the Nintendo polish on it. Same could be done with getting n-space to make a Wii U game.

Fund a High Voltage Software game? What, giving money to the Kings of Shovelware, whose ship has been sinking further and further down into the abyss in the past few years?
And n-Space is, at best, a mediocre studio, which makes barely above average games (against, at best). Besides, they recently said that, for the first time in quite a few years, they weren't working on anything for a Nintendo console, so I wouldn't be counting on them in the future.

One point where I do agree with you is with the funding of more titles like LEGO City or the PG games. Unfortunately, it's more and more apparent that that will probably be the only kind of significant 3rd-party support in the future.

Yup, I'm not optimisitc on 3rd-party support, ha ha. Sorry if I came out rude or anything, but it's not really a topic that brings a smile to my face :p

prag16

Banned
I feel Nintendo needs to and can do a couple of things.

1/ If 3rd parties are unwilling to port multiplat games to Nintendo's platforms for whatever reason (too weak, not profitable etc), Nintendo should concider devoting one or two (new and tech-savy) smaller studio's to porting 3rd party games themselves. They pay for the port, for publishing, but split the profit with the owner. No need to go after every 3rd party game, just the key titles, the ones they need to compliment their own line-up. Would Rockstar be opposed to Nintendo making their own port, if they got royalties and a large percentage of the earnings they would otherwise miss out on? Consumers could buy in confidence, since a Nintendo internal team, is handling the port, wanting to make the best of it.

2/ Expand their own line-up (and studio's). Even if the games don't sell as well as Nintendo platformers, you can't deny the amount of good a game like Metroid Prime did when it came to public perception. WIthout it and the RE games, the gamecube really was "a Mario/kids box". Nintendo needs to have their own FPS, sports, racing... alternatives not including Mario, if none (decent) are being provided by 3rd parties. Even if the ZombiU's and Project Cars don't prove to be big sellers, the platform needs games like that. If need be, Nintendo has to create them their selves. Especially if they are unique experiences.

The problem with #1 is setting a precedent that could lose them some of the little support they WOULD have gotten otherwise. Activision could say, "Okay, why should we port CoD ourselves if Nintendo footed the bill for porting Assassin's Creed 5 and Batman Arkham Next?"

So while it sounds like an okay idea in theory, I'd be concerned about how it would actually turn out in practice.

dolemite

Awesome sauce of a thread! :D

You should replace the pic for Pikmin 3, it's old as donkey shit. :p

Go with this!

iPZPGCP0YNC45.png

Or perhaps this:

ibjYsft1Q2vXZ7.png

Textures aside, this game is a feast for the eyes, DAT COLOR!

This game is making me itching for Wii U. Nintendo, lower the price of the Wii U like soon.

D-e-f-

Banned
This game is making me itching for Wii U. Nintendo, lower the price of the Wii U like soon.

to what? free? they dropped the price already and retailers all over the world have almost given it away for next to nothing during the last few weeks. there's really no excuse anymore.

Roo

to what? free? they dropped the price already and retailers all over the world have almost given it away for next to nothing during the last few weeks. there's really no excuse anymore.
It also has a healthy library of exclusive and first party games.

I'd like to hope that Pokemon is brewing something for 2014. In XY, there's an NPC who specifically mentions he's not from any of the 6 handheld regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova or Kalos). I'd speculate that a console version would maybe communicate with XY (increasingly so with the extra space with Bank coming out this year) and allow players to capture more Pokemon. Kind of like a XD Gale of Darkness sequel.

That'd hopefully drive sales since Pokemon is a proven system seller on handhelds, and another story driven game should do well. (ie, something that's not like Battle Revolution).

I'd like to hope that Pokemon is brewing something for 2014. In XY, there's an NPC who specifically mentions he's not from any of the 6 handheld regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova or Kalos). I'd speculate that a console version would maybe communicate with XY (increasingly so with the extra space with Bank coming out this year) and allow players to capture more Pokemon. Kind of like a XD Gale of Darkness sequel.

That'd hopefully drive sales since Pokemon is a proven system seller on handhelds, and another story driven game should do well. (ie, something that's not like Battle Revolution).

Pokken tease maybe? Genius Sonority is too small for a console Pokemon now, but they should totally get ArtePiazza on one! *drools*

Some Nobody

Just my guesses:

Next Zumba game.
Mist Walker was rumored to be working on some Wii U game.

Ganbarion (Pandora's Tower) co-developed Wii Fit U so they could be working on a Wii U game.
Headstrong Games (Batallion Wars 2, House of the Dead: OVERKILL and the Art Academy) was rumored to be working on something.
Treasure . They are working on something for 3DS right now.
Artoon (fling smash) could be working on something
Namco, because its hard to believe they are not working on another Wii U game.
Sega
Capcom, because if Megaman is in smash and Nintendo isn't getting a new megaman game someone needs to be fired.
Team Ninja said last August that they will continue support
Tecmo, because Nintendo owns Fatal Frame now

I've never actually seen this rumor confirmed anywhere.

ozfunghi

The problem with #1 is setting a precedent that could lose them some of the little support they WOULD have gotten otherwise. Activision could say, "Okay, why should we port CoD ourselves if Nintendo footed the bill for porting Assassin's Creed 5 and Batman Arkham Next?"

So while it sounds like an okay idea in theory, I'd be concerned about how it would actually turn out in practice.

First of all, 3rd parties still get an incentive to do the porting themselves, because they would still make more money that way, providing they do a good job. Secondly, Nintendo could easily make some rules in which cases an internal team could do the port (established franchise or not, cross platform sales exceed x million copies...). And if i knew Nintendo was making the port, i would have long bought CoD ghosts or BOII, which i haven't. In fact, personally, i would rather ONLY see a select number of blockbuster games released, knowing they were all the best they could be on the platform, than having a multitude of them, yet most if not all, being botched ports. You just need a few small but highly skilled teams, that know the hardware through and through, doing maybe 3 ports per year. If you have 3 teams like that, that means you could have 9 great multiplat ports per year. That means 45 top notch ports over it's lifetime, all making the best of the hardware, not downports of x360 games running on only one CPU core etc... That's a lot more than what Gamecube ever got. I'm talking in terms of combining quality AND quantity.

L~A

It's not. Good info in all the replies though.

Yeah, I think it comes from a desire to see a sequel to The Last Story, which was generally pretty well received (I loved it, personally, and I'd be all over a new game like it). Makes you wonder what Mistwalker is working right now, it certainly can't be just iOS surfing games.

I was wondering how would Nintendo fill up the gaps between the monthly software releases...
For them, the one game per month, more or less, seems to be their "roof" and I was thinking how would they manage to have at least some B tier games for WiiU.
The per month release of one "flagship" title, surely did help to augment the sales, but it did not bring the much sought reversal...
Will they try to fix this?Do they even care...?

D-e-f-

Banned
I was wondering how would Nintendo fill up the gaps between the monthly software releases...
For them, the one game per month, more or less, seems to be their "roof" and I was thinking how would they manage to have at least some B tier games for WiiU.
The per month release of one "flagship" title, surely did help to augment the sales, but it did not bring the much sought reversal...
Will they try to fix this?Do they even care...?

Remember how indie (eShop) games exist now? I feel those get often overlooked.

remember how indie games exist now?

Fair assumption..But to be honest, I was kind of let down to see that there were no "big" indie releases for the end of the year.
I realise that they need time, but imho they could help to solidify even more the festive lineup.
Oh well, Dex got backed up!!If only we could get the Ghost Song too....

D-e-f-

Banned
Fair assumption..But to be honest, I was kind of let down to see that there were no "big" indie releases for the end of the year.
I realise that they need time, but imho they could help to solidify even more the festive lineup.
Oh well, Dex got backed up!!If only we could get the Ghost Song too....

Yes, the lack of AAA-equivalent indie games is a bummer on Wii U, no question.

Ghost Song is coming, btw. I haven't seen or heard anything that says he no longer wants to do it.

So we can expect

-Nintendo 1st Party
-Dancing/Zumba/Fitness ??
-Lego games (love them as I can play with the wife)
-WatchDogs/Child of Light
-Disney/Skylanders
-Indies: small games are important but for the Wii U it is key that they get the bigger projects to supplement their 1st party SW
-Pubs small projects: for all the shit Ubi gets, from the top of my head I think they were the only ones experimenting with smaller projects (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez Gunslinger), if future similar projects could come to the Wii U it would be great, less risk for pubs and they can build mindshare in the platform for a particular IP.
-I know Nintendo is catering to another audience but I think it needs a Counter Strike Source, a simple but fun MP offering that can be expanded over time, it can cost $15-25. If they want to be even more ambitious (which they wont sadly) have a similar Arena Shooter (this genre will be revitalized this gen)
-Wii U needs next Metroid and another mature Nintendo title ASAP
-By X launch I would have at least initial stages complete for another JRPG, if X is a success then complete said project ASAP

From Nov NPD and last week Japan media create it is very clear there is an active very casual Wii userbase (NA - Just Dance 2014, Disney Infinity, Sylanders, JP - DQX) as those sold the most on the Wii. Nintendo has to double down on efforts in 2014 to get 2 audiences, have those casuals migrate to Wii U, and get some gamers to consider the Wii U as a second option.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guess we won't wait too long.. Are we? :p

I was hoping it will be this week. :) Some release dates will make a perfect start for the 2014 thread.

My only hope after this direct is to have all the spring months covered. January is Wii Fit U and February DCKTF, i don't realistically expect anything else for this except for the golf, baseball and golf, but it looks that those (or some of them) will be available after the Direct.

Edit: and there goes the "Just bought a Wii U." thread. We need a Funky Barn thread or something, like on Miiverse.

Raven77

Okay I just picked up a Wii U for my brother.

Have I missed all the good game deals? I want to get him the following but can't seem to find them on sale anywhere. I would prefer an in store sale or a website I can have a store price match if possible.

Super Mario 3D Worlds
Pikmin 3
Zombie U
Wonderful 101
Zelda Wind Waker HD
Pro Controller (is it worth it? Was thinking of getting one for myself as well)

I know I missed the Toys R Us deal last week for buy 1 get one 40% off...I feel like such an idiot for waiting.

Pachimari

It's funny how I said to myself I would get more Nintendo games with Wii U but again, I find myself buying 3rd party (some exclusive) games like Zombi U, Rayman Legends and soon Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Hopefully I get Super Mario 3D World for Christmas at least.

Top Bottom