• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen trailers

Sqorgar

Banned
Woah, Capcom really turned in a bunch of liars. The game was not developed with the concept of expansion? Are they kidding? They kept talking about DLCs and expansions since before the release. I'm really bummed about this, Dark Arisen is one of the titles I'm expecting the most from 2013 but I really don't want to give them my money for this kind of behaviour.
I understand the skepticism - I really do - but your mistrust does not make them liars. It is entirely possible that the game was developed with certain DLC in mind, but included a lot of assumptions for things they weren't expecting to expand. For instance, they mention that the entire interface has been changed, there's a new level of skills, and more character customization. Depending on what these are, it could be something significantly more complex and far reaching. Just changing something like how character models are managed could require updating every single model, animation, and texture in the game.

To my knowledge, they can not provide alternate title updates, so either you get the features with the expansion and they can keep supporting it with patches, or they can't release patches at all. The best solution would be to provide a title update that gives all the features to the original game and keep everything else in the expansion to DLC - but that might require rewriting a significant chunk of the code and not practical for a $20 expansion to a niche title.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to do that. I'm saying that it isn't cost effective. It wouldn't be worth the money they would make in order to refactor the entire game code - especially when they are probably already working on Dragon's Dogma 2.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Lets be blunt here and lay cards on the table. Its obvious why Capcom has done this to Dragon's Dogma because we were literally joking about a Dragon's Dogma G in the OT. They've gone a bit further than a recoloured Cockatrice et al, but still...

Where did Dragon's Dogma sell the most? Japan. Where are these fully repackaged expansion packs a viable market seller? Japan. Thats why its a disc release and not a DLC update. Because it will make more money there, and even releasing it to the west at all is a secondary thought to them rather than the driving purpose behind how they created this content at all.

Would it have been impossible to release this as an update? No. More costly? Yes. The end/fuck you Sven.

The problem now is people just won't be buying Capcom games at launch much at all. Because why bother, right?

Mxrz

Its a trade off. Buy it on release and play it for a year, or wait and pick up a better deal later. That's about the case with everything. Comparing money for money alone ignores all that.

We'll all be paying $40 for it, its just some people will be getting last years game for free.

daniels

Well it will be interesting to see if they actually fix the game because forced letterbox, 15~25 frame rate and constant pop in is a bad joke. Does anyone know if they work on a pc version so i can at least brute force their incompetence out of the game?

Decado

Well it will be interesting to see if they actually fix the game because forced letterbox, 15~25 frame rate and constant pop in is a bad joke. Does anyone know if they work on a pc version so i can at least brute force their incompetence out of the game?

No PC version has been announced or even hinted at, AFAIK :( This game screams for a PC version and probably would do quite well if they produced a quality port.

Eusis

I understand the skepticism - I really do - but your mistrust does not make them liars. It is entirely possible that the game was developed with certain DLC in mind, but included a lot of assumptions for things they weren't expecting to expand. For instance, they mention that the entire interface has been changed, there's a new level of skills, and more character customization. Depending on what these are, it could be something significantly more complex and far reaching. Just changing something like how character models are managed could require updating every single model, animation, and texture in the game.

To my knowledge, they can not provide alternate title updates, so either you get the features with the expansion and they can keep supporting it with patches, or they can't release patches at all. The best solution would be to provide a title update that gives all the features to the original game and keep everything else in the expansion to DLC - but that might require rewriting a significant chunk of the code and not practical for a $20 expansion to a niche title.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to do that. I'm saying that it isn't cost effective. It wouldn't be worth the money they would make in order to refactor the entire game code - especially when they are probably already working on Dragon's Dogma 2.
I also can't help but wonder if MT Frameworks is just kind of bad for sticking stuff on to. It may be that this is a business model Capcom considers worthwhile (after Street Fighter II and Monster Hunter I can see it), but we had this kind of crap with Lost Planet, RE5 (partially), and MvC3. Milking consumers is a definite factor, but it really does make me wonder if the engine's just messed up for that. Xbox patching limits probably don't help either though.

And... honestly, a PC port would make me happier, since then I'd be more willing to rebuy. New content plus better performance will make it worthwhile.

vg260

Woah, Capcom really turned in a bunch of liars. The game was not developed with the concept of expansion? Are they kidding? They kept talking about DLCs and expansions since before the release. I'm really bummed about this, Dark Arisen is one of the titles I'm expecting the most from 2013 but I really don't want to give them my money for this kind of behaviour.

Except I will D: This better be good Capcom.

It's quite possible he's correct. Maybe the developers were not forward thinking and the only hooks are to add additional items, armor, message board quests, that kind of plug-in stuff, etc, not retool the meat or underlying code of the game.

People assume lies, but maybe god forbid, all the new stuff in this game did turn out to be more difficult than anticipated, and the scenario he told was actually correct. It may have had hooks for simple DLC, but maybe would have been a massive update they couldn't actually release as stated, and the appropriate hooks for a massive re-tooling aren't there.

So often people knee-jerk rant and start screaming like every company is out to ruin you financially and scam you. Can anyone refute his post? No, because they don't know the intricate details of the development. Yeah, it sucks in some ways, but people need to use some reasoning here, and not just scream bloody murder because the result isn't as you anticipated.

And if it bothers you so much, put your money where your mouth is and don't buy it.

BraXzy

This game has always been somewhere on my radar but never got round to buying it. Preordered this, £20 for a great sounding game + DLC? Sign me up :D

Grimsen

Futureshop is taking back DD for 40$ this week. Canadians have no reason to bitch, since we basically get the expansion for free.

Eusis

Futureshop is taking back DD for 40$ this week. Canadians have no reason to bitch, since we basically get the expansion for free.
Or you got to play it early for a little while only for this news to pop up, as the case would be if I could take advantage of this.

Mileena

Banned
Apparently has to do with Capcom not wanting to maintain servers for the pawn-system. It's weird though, you'd expect a WRPG kind of game to sell well on PC but it looks like they're not interested.

how about we replace the pawn system with online co-op in the PC version Capcom :)

Can't wait. Played the hell out of Dragon's Dogma back when it came out. I wonder how my pawn has been doing since I abandoned her...

Its a trade off. Buy it on release and play it for a year, or wait and pick up a better deal later. That's about the case with everything. Comparing money for money alone ignores all that.

We'll all be paying $40 for it, its just some people will be getting last years game for free.

Agreed.

Eusis

how about we replace the pawn system with online co-op in the PC version Capcom :)
A better idea: How about keeping BOTH in? The pawn system is a great idea when you don't have others to play with or don't want to, yet want to have a friend's character in even if it's an assistant character.

so is dragon dogma heavily inspired by berserk ?

let me go neogaf fanboy for a sec

Imagine a platinum game like dragon age ....that ends up being Berserk.

and scene.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with MT Framework and everything to do with Capcom being very inconsistent and shortsighted when initially defining the parameters of a project.

Super SFIV happened because they didn't put any hooks for replacing game assets or even UI into vanilla SFIV even though they knew we're in the DLC age. Super SFIV had hooks for expansions, and so Arcade Edition was possible - which changed and replaced even basic UI elements in addition to adding game content.

That was not an MT Framework game, but I suspect it doesn't make a difference. Given how long Dragon's Dogma was in development, they probably just didn't care to think about expansions or modifications back then, even though they were looking at western games like Elder Scrolls for inspiration.

To be fair, the fact that a lead target platform is the Xbox probably hurts as well. 360 is unfriendly to DLC and game expansions in some ways, and ends up stinging a lot of developers. If Dragon's Dogma was a PS3 exclusive / PS3 and PC exclusive, I think we might have seen a workarounds in the form of just downloading a large patch that replaces major sections of game data outright.

As it stands, given this is really a genuine upgrade and you're playing off the same save file, I don't care of it's DLC or disc based release - the price is what does suck. If they were serious about apologizing to fans, $30 should have been the buy-in IMO.

Eusis

It IS why I wonder if $40's actually a minimum demanded by Microsoft and/or Sony, because I'm struggling to think of any exceptions on the PS3, and while we had games like Deadly Premonition on 360 Microsoft has been fluid about requirements far as I can tell.

... And yeah, it doesn't help that Japanese development on average doesn't seem to be too forward thinking, note how many games still aren't programmed in a localization friendly manner like E.X. Troopers, and that's probably a tame example compared to games like 7th Dragon.

majik13

I would bite for a WiiU version. If it comes with quick item management/hud/map on the bottom screen, off tv play, etc. I loved vanilla version, but Ill have to wait till the price drops on the expansion.

Rootbeer

Banned
Never picked up the original but really, really thought about it. Was waiting for it to hit about $25 or lower, which never happened... well, except now you can find it for around that, but that's only because the new version is coming.

So I think I will be picking up the PS3 version of DA. Looks like a good amount of new content and a great deal for a player that's new to game.

Would still pay $60 for this on PC :(

Never picked up the original but really, really thought about it. Was waiting for it to hit about $25 or lower, which never happened... well, except now you can find it for around that, but that's only because the new version is coming.

So I think I will be picking up the PS3 version of DA. Looks like a good amount of new content and a great deal for a player that's new to game.

Would still pay $60 for this on PC :(

Don't think, just do! my console GOTY for 2012.

You're even getting the ultimate edition. I wish I could play this again for the very first time. :(

It will be nice for you, I can see the pawn community coming alive again as well. Have fun!

Chemo

Lets be blunt here and lay cards on the table. Its obvious why Capcom has done this to Dragon's Dogma because we were literally joking about a Dragon's Dogma G in the OT. They've gone a bit further than a recoloured Cockatrice et al, but still...

Where did Dragon's Dogma sell the most? Japan. Where are these fully repackaged expansion packs a viable market seller? Japan. Thats why its a disc release and not a DLC update. Because it will make more money there, and even releasing it to the west at all is a secondary thought to them rather than the driving purpose behind how they created this content at all.

Would it have been impossible to release this as an update? No. More costly? Yes. The end/fuck you Sven.

The problem now is people just won't be buying Capcom games at launch much at all. Because why bother, right?
Fuck this shit right here. I support games... I'm not here to deny sales on a fucking principle. Dragon's Dogma is the best thing Capcom has done in years and years, and was hands down the best game of 2012. I'm all over Dark Arisen, day one, because Dragon's Dogma is something that deserves support and really needs a fantastic sequel. Additionally, I really need some more of it, and new content is truly going to benefit me.

Coming up with butthurt reasons to not support this game is ridiculous. It didn't sell as well as it deserved to the first time... I'm glad this is a physical-only release, I hope after everything is said and done that the original Dragon's Dogma + Dark Arisen has a sales number that makes Dragon's Dogma 2 a guarantee.

Rootbeer

Banned
Maybe? I mean you can get Guts and Griffith's armor in the game.

WHAT D: that sounds awesome! *edit* saw pics on google... griffith looks a bit chunky, but then it is hard to replicate his frail frame in the game I guess :) I def want that armor.

WHAT D: that sounds awesome! *edit* saw pics on google... griffith looks a bit chunky, but then it is hard to replicate his frail frame in the game I guess :) I def want that armor.

The dragon dogma fans are defintly berserk fans..
There is a character that greatly ressemble caska and there a specific house that reminded me of another house in a forest. (i'm vague on purpose)

You can also make a "shierke" if you wanna.

and don't get me started on some monsters..

so is dragon dogma heavily inspired by berserk ?

let me go neogaf fanboy for a sec

Imagine a platinum game like dragon age ....that ends up being Berserk.

and scene.

If you guys want some Berserk inspired games check out Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. They're Berserk The Game.

Just a little example of the inspiration:

Artorias%20and%20Guts.jpg

Meicyn

Gold Member
I hope after everything is said and done that the original Dragon's Dogma + Dark Arisen has a sales number that makes Dragon's Dogma 2 a guarantee.
Dragon's Dogma 2 is in development for next-gen consoles, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dark Arisen is an obvious day one purchase for me. It is one of only three games I have ever bothered to get all achievements for.

Fuck this shit right here. I support games... I'm not here to deny sales on a fucking principle. Dragon's Dogma is the best thing Capcom has done in years and years, and was hands down the best game of 2012. I'm all over Dark Arisen, day one, because Dragon's Dogma is something that deserves support and really needs a fantastic sequel. Additionally, I really need some more of it, and new content is truly going to benefit me.

Coming up with butthurt reasons to not support this game is ridiculous. It didn't sell as well as it deserved to the first time... I'm glad this is a physical-only release, I hope after everything is said and done that the original Dragon's Dogma + Dark Arisen has a sales number that makes Dragon's Dogma 2 a guarantee.

agreed. I paid about $80AUD for DD and I ended up spending close to 200hours maybe (?) on it so its my most played game last year (and my GOTY 2012) so, any money Capcom wants they get from me for DD.

buy it and ensure we get a sequel.

destrudo

For people who've played the game, how possible is it to play the whole thing with the Berserk style armor? Would I get my ass kicked by the harder enemies or could I get by with skill? Since there will probably never be a great Berserk game this could come close enough for me, lol.

Santiako

For people who've played the game, how possible is it to play the whole thing with the Berserk style armor? Would I get my ass kicked by the harder enemies or could I get by with skill? Since there will probably never be a great Berserk game this could come close enough for me, lol.

You can upgrade the armours, so you can easly play the whole game with the Berserk sets if you want.

you can upgrade and dragon forge the berserk armor for maximum kickassery. it's pretty strong until the end of the game.

destrudo

Thanks guys, will definitely buy this. I don't know why I've been holding off for so long but it seems like it was a good idea.

Eusis

Actually now that I think about it, the thing that annoys me most with the Dark Arisen release is simply the fact they weren't straight forward about HOW it'll be released, in this day and age most of us expect stuff like this to be a DLC, and if it's not they flat out say "no this is a new version you must rebuy the game" as the case had been with Super Street Fighter IV (I believe) and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I would've just held off until this had come out, though at least I get extras and it's an awesome game either way. I half expect this won't have Into Free anyway if that's the source of the licensing issues that kept it from getting a DD release.

Top Bottom