• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

petran79

Banned
What made me curious was what is it about the Wii U that it was able to be emulated before the 360 or PS3?

Well, I know why with the PS3 (Cell), but 360 and Wii U are both using PowerPC I believe.

Couple of years ago 360 games that used XNA were dumped to run on Windows,like Dishwasher Vampire Smile.
XB360 would require to create a Wine equivalent instead of a traditional emulator.
Similar to XQEMU that focuses on Xbox and Sega Chihiro.

Wollan

The disappointing Switch reveal has altered my course and I'm now buying the Wii-U version in order to enjoy this on CEMU.

Have a i7 6700K, 980Ti machine w/DDR4 so should in theory be able to spruce titles quite high (have a 1440p monitor). Might actually end up with the best version of the game.

Vuze

I'm seeing some cheap Wii U's, but the gamepad doesn't work. Is the gamepad necessary to use the console?
Unfortunately yes. Some moron at Nintendo decided that you need it to change the settings (internet etc.) for example. For no apparent reason. Still my biggest gripe with the console.

Niceeee.

I have a morbid curiosity if you could run the simpler games like NSMB U at like 10-20 FPS on GPD Win if you kick down the resolution low enough. I'm not expecting to get anything playable but just seeing a Wii U game booting up on a GPD Win would be amazing.

I imagine you'll hit the cpu limit super hard will before you'd have to worry about the final render resolution.

jediyoshi

PGd9sKw.jpg

3QbX1Ah.jpg

How good is Captain Toad? Loving those screens, considering buying it.

Great. In a good way, it's pretty deceptive about most of its strengths like the depth and amount of content there is.

Veelk

Banned
I have a question: In addition to changing the resolution, does the framerate go up as well?

For example, I had places where the framerate dipped in Bayonetta 2. Would playing it on the Cemu ensure a smoother experience? Would the frame rate go beyond 60 fps?

jediyoshi

Unplayable for what reason? Bugs or performance? (And if the latter, to what extent and on which hardware?)

A lot of specific objects causes crashes when interacting with them, crashes during certain level transitions, crashes for some stages. Very similar to the state of Tropical Freeze. Performance isn't great for many stages and this game in particular probably has the worst shader compilation times I've seen of any game.

That said, when you get to a level that runs well, it runs full speed fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AouJdQa6Zw

Codiox

I builded a PC especially for Dolphin Emulation only, will it run this emulator too at 1080p? Would love to play some WiiU games in 1080p!

Here are the specs of my Dolphin-Machine:

i3 6100 3.7Ghz
GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4 RAM

Nibel

I imagine their Patreon went up after the presentation, lmao

Think I'll try to play around with this thing later

ced

I'm probably going to buy a new video card to play Zelda BOTW instead of a switch when it's stable.

I've a hunch that Switch will be also easily emualted in the future (17-18). I mean it runs MK8 and BotW, right?

I might be totally wrong here but anyone else thinks the same? I have no basis for this - only a feeling.

orhnsnmz

I builded a PC especially for Dolphin Emulation only, will it run this emulator too at 1080p? Would love to play some WiiU games in 1080p!

Here are the specs of my Dolphin-Machine:

i3 6100 3.7Ghz
GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4 RAM

Emulators tend to be very CPU intensive, so that i3 might struggle quite a bit unfortunately.

But my brother is running Cemu on a i5 2500 with a GTX 660 Ti and claims that it's running at ~60 fps most of the time, so you should just try it out and see for yourself.

Also note that Cemu is still kinda early in its development and will still get tons of optimizations I reckon.

Zexen

Okay, I'm currently dumping XCX, how much time did it took for you guys? It's averaging 850kb/s so I guess 6 hours and half considering a file size of 20Gb (no idea if it's the exact size).

How does the emulator handles the gamepad functions for the probes/map and other things like that?

AmFreak

Sorry, i over simplified. My point is, it's definitely unique, but it's not a complete unknown or even super exotic. It's why porting existing Linux kernels to it wasn't a massively difficult process, even if by official means some hardware access was restricted.

(Edit) to further expand on what I meant... Most of the cell "advantage" was pretty over blown and used to sell the idea of a $600 console. It was used much in the same way Sega used "blast processing". Certainly there were advantages to it, and it's not an off the shelf chip... But, it was still power pc based and therefore not as unknown or exotic as many people and especially Sony made it out to be.
Sry, but this is wrong.
The ppu was ppc, the spu's were not and the ppu also wasn't a design that existed before it.

I like how this thread popped back up thanks to the Switch event being so awful.

Can't wait to play Breath of the Wild at 4K. I can't imagine it taking more than a month or two before it's playable since this game is most certainly the one everyone wants to play.

MUnited83

For you.
Is anyone currently compiling shaders and uploading them somewhere? And would downloading that technically be considered piracy?( I mean, I know it wouldn't be on my country, since technically speaking even actual piracy is legal here as long as it is for personal use, but Im curious about how it would work in the US)

Is anyone currently compiling shaders and uploading them somewhere? And would downloading that technically be considered piracy?( I mean, I know it wouldn't be on my country, since technically speaking even actual piracy is legal here as long as it is for personal use, but Im curious about how it would work in the US)

Pretty sure illegal just like BIOS/ FLASHROM/ ISOs. But then are save-states being shared illegal?

IANAL etc.

Mifec

No one is gonna publicly link you on GAF because like stopped said it's "illegal" but there are people who already started doing it.

Pretty sure illegal just like BIOS/ FLASHROM/ ISOs. But then are save-states being shared illegal?

IANAL etc.

You're right.

Flandy

Does Nintendo ban you for hacking or using the eshop while hacked?
Was looking at a homebrew guide on Gbatemp so I could dump my games.
Noticed the following section

102-280X NNID permanent ban
102-281X console permanent ban
102-282X NNID temporary ban
102-283X console temporary ban

Should I be worried or does this only happen under specific circumstances?

nkarafo

Emulators tend to be very CPU intensive, so that i3 might struggle quite a bit unfortunately.

But my brother is running Cemu on a i5 2500 with a GTX 660 Ti and claims that it's running at ~60 fps most of the time, so you should just try it out and see for yourself.

Also note that Cemu is still kinda early in its development and will still get tons of optimizations I reckon.
That i3 will be more than fine for Cemu. The emulator isn't even using more than 2 cores. I heard its a single core emulator even.

jediyoshi

Is Splatoon playable? Can Cemu use the gyro data from the DS4 to play it somehow?

Campaign is playable, performance isn't as 100% as other stable titles. No DS4 gyro support.

That i3 will be more than fine for Cemu. The emulator isn't even using more than 2 cores. I heard its a single core emulator even.

From the devs "Cemu already uses multiple cores. One core is always utilized 100% while the others vary. For Wii U emulation, single-core performance is more important than having many cores."

Flandy

shift+print screen captures the full resolution image into your clipboard, you need to manually save it.

To save people from looking it up illicitly, specifically the Patreon versions (not on public) have DRM.

How's that work? You need to log in or something? I threw in a dollar since I have other stuff on my plate right but still wanted to support it.

jediyoshi

How's that work? You need to log in or something? I threw in a dollar since I have other stuff on my plate right but still wanted to support it.

It runs like normal, you don't do anything special. The zip you download has your specific licensed packaged. There's an online check once, but then internet isn't required.

Top Bottom