• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Good Place S2 |OT| Well, Fork Me - Thursdays 8:30/7:30c

TheOddOne

topd6u6z.png

TripOpt55

So excited for this. My favorite comedy of last year/season. I'm rewatching the first season which is fun knowing about the reveals in the finale.

So the wife and I watched the first two eps of this and while its pleasant and quirky, we didn't find it that funny. Does it take a bit to get into a groove or should I assume we're missing it? The weirdness just felt a little forced and the the overall concept felt like it was smothering the humor potential. Like when the pilot of a show is usually weaker due to trying to introduce everything.

Briarios

So the wife and I watched the first two eps of this and while its pleasant and quirky, we didn't find it that funny. Does it take a bit to get into a groove or should I assume we're missing it? The weirdness just felt a little forced and the the overall concept felt like it was smothering the humor potential. Like when the pilot of a show is usually weaker due to trying to introduce everything.

You have no idea where it's going, trust me. It's worth sticking with it.

W-00

Episode 4 was when I fell in love with the show. If you aren't feeling it by then, it's probably just not for you.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
More excited for this than almost anything in my life right now. A little concerned about what possible direction they can go in, but excited nonetheless.

dLMN8R

Season 1 was so great throughout, and the ending to the season was one of the best season finales I can remember.

Can't wait for this!

Palmer_v1

Love the tagline.

I really hope this season is great. Bit worried about where it might go without seeming like it's just season 1 remix.

Makonero

I hope this season touches me on the heart like a
Filipino wannabe thief pretending to be a Chinese Buddhist monk.

Pluto

Watch a few more episodes, it's absolutely worth it. Episode 4 is awesome and starting with episode 7 it became impossible for me to miss it.

Just caught up with S1 on Netflix. I was pretty lukewarm at first, but then the twists start coming and HOLY SHIRTBALLS things got nuts. In for more.

Best NBC comedy since they ended Parks and Rec, IMO

I also just noticed that this show isn't nominated for any Emmys....Kristen Bell was robbed

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm rewatching season one, definitely has a very different perspective the second time LOL. The clue to the end was there in the very first episode too.

TheOddOne

- TVGuide: The Good Place Reboots in Season 2 – and Remains Forkin' Great.
Based on the first four episodes of Season 2, showrunner Michael Schur and company know they're in a tough spot -- and using the memory wipe as a device,
flip the perspective of the show from Eleanor to Michael. Where Eleanor spent most of Season 1 trying to hide her unworthiness from everyone else in The Good Place, now it's Michael's turn. See, his uptight boss has given him one last chance to make his radical psychological torture scheme work, or Michael gets thrown into the sun. Literally. Except, and I don't think this is spoiling too much, he doesn't make it work. At all.
Instead, Schur's crew mostly ditches the surprisingly deep exploration of ethics that dominated the show's freshman outing in favor of an exploration of TV structure. Each of the first four episodes has a vastly different structure and perspective, which I'm loathe to spoil as that's one of the main joys inherent: watching how the writers play with, and against the idea of a reboot makes for delightfully fun viewing

But (and again, this is at least initially) The Good Place is also missing some of the invention of Season 1. Hand in hand with the ethical exploration was Eleanor's exploration of The Good Place, and its many weird quirks -- from meeting representatives of The Bad Place, to the surprising introduction of The Medium Place, to everything involving the intelligent personal assistant Janet (D'Arcy Carden, who continues to steal every scene she's in).
Since the characters are revisiting their old actions due to the memory wipe, that means there's much less offered in terms of new details.
Those details are there, and the writers have a lot of fun finding new ways to torture our main characters (a running joke involving clam chowder is particularly memorable). But like the new character dynamics themselves, it takes a while to really get to something completely fresh.

When it does, though, which takes most of the first four episodes, The Good Place reclaims its spot as one of best, most inventive, just plain forkin' great shows on TV. And what was once a plainly stated exploration of ethics gives way to an even deeper point about how it may not be our memories and experiences that make us who we are, but our connections to other people.

big ander

So we went from story of ethics to meta story about TV production

Sounds great

I don't see what's wrong with Frozen yogurt honestly

Do I deserve to be in the bad place

I think the frozen yogurt wasn't supposed to be bad—just not the best. like if it were a real Good Place they'd've gotten delicious and rich ice cream with fudge and caramel. but that they could only get froyo was slightly off.

and I like the meta aspects of the show, I felt they were there in the first season. became all about gaming sitcom conflict. Interested to see how this works, with the new perspective.

Glad to see a new thread up and active. Thanks, TheOddOne! I recently caught up on Netflix and thoroughly enjoyed the first season.

Btw, Sepinwall noted recently that it's perhaps best to go into Season 2 without reading any of the reviews for the new season, so peruse them at your own risk.

TheOddOne

^ words of wisdom!

- New York Times: Review: In Season 2, ‘The Good Place’ Blows Itself Up, Hilariously.
But over the first four episodes, the Bad Place version of “The Good Place” proves it’s still able to surprise, while staying rooted in ideas that make it more than the sum of its twists.
- Vulture: The Good Place Season Two Is So Forking Great.
Fortunately, the second season of The Good Place, which begins Wednesday with a pair of back-to-back episodes, is no dud. After delivering one of last fall’s most assured, instantly delightful debuts, in take two, the series solidifies its status as the most intellectually engaging comedy on television.
But what continues to be most satisfying about The Good Place is what a provocative puzzle it is. Micheal Schur and his writers pack tons of action, subtext, and a current of gleefully manic energy into each half hour, and they do it while continually taking each episode in surprising directions. The Good Place may be a comedy, but its sense of mystery and ability to build a world, partially dismantle it, then construct it again, outshines what’s being done on most TV dramas.
- Sepinwall: ‘The Good Place’ Is Back. Now What?
So, the good Good Place news: this is still a wonderful show — better, in many ways, now that creator Mike Schur has laid his cards on the table for us all to see. The new installments are livelier and funnier than before, particularly the third and fourth episodes where… well, we’ll get back to that after another warning or two.

TheOddOne

Special one-hour premiere today:
Season 2: episode 1 "Everything Is Great! (Part 1)"
Season 2: episode 2 "Everything Is Great! (Part 2)"

After Michael erases their memories, Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani and Jason find themselves in the Good Place again, but Eleanor finds a clue she left for herself and tries to put everything together.
Note: the show returns next week on its regular Thursday slot.

Top Bottom