• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inktober 2017 |OT| Digital Artists Welcome

Day 4 - "Doggo"

prompt from Sawneeks and El Topo. Thanks both <3

CvNnhOk.png

Thanks for making the thread! I also used it as an excuse to install the latest version of Manga Studio 5 (Clip Studio Paint Pro) and browse the instructions, as well as the Art Rage 5. At least for now I'm using CSPP and not resizing the art. I'm also using an ancient cheap Monoprice tablet.

I'll start by quickly catching up on the first few days of October. For personal background, I did some drawing books with lessons on perspective and stuff as a kid. I'm aware of some basic principles. I've messed around with pencils and art programs. In general however, I don't know how to draw, ink, or paint.

Personal goals:
  • Use the month to force myself to do regular drawings.
  • See if I improve over time.
  • Use a rough time limit on each drawing so I do not struggle with finding time.

If ultra beginner drawings bother anyone, please let me know and I will put them in spoiler tags so they only show up on being clicked.

Entry for 10/01/2017, a human head. 10 minutes.

Keep it up! I love seeing people begin their journey with drawing and where it takes them. I especially like your hand and chair drawing. It's important to draw objects from real life, because you're training yourself how to look at things and translate it onto paper (or tablet).
If there's one thing I may suggest, it's to start out with a sketchbook and a couple pencils. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I think digital art should come after learning how to draw traditionally, but that's just me.

Blizzard

Banned
Keep it up! I love seeing people begin their journey with drawing and where it takes them. I especially like your hand and chair drawing. It's important to draw objects from real life, because you're training yourself how to look at things and translate it onto paper (or tablet).
If there's one thing I may suggest, it's to start out with a sketchbook and a couple pencils. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I think digital art should come after learning how to draw traditionally, but that's just me.
I certainly agree with the bolded in general, and I have both pad and pencils sitting out from when I tried to start practicing in the past. However, if I had to scan every drawing I would probably be too lazy to keep up with the challenge, so having an instant digital version makes it a lower barrier for me to keep going this month. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

The Labyrinth/Bowie piece ed made last year is one of the best things I've seen in these threads, and it was black and white only. We are for a treat if my name is ed is painting them this year.

Xun

Truly brilliant work guys.

I was out last night so I'm going to have to get day 4 and 5 done tonight if I can... &#129300;

Blizzard

Banned
Entry for 10/05/2017, a drawing of an Amiibo. 10 minutes.

This time I figured I would try the pencil sketch, ink foreground method. I was aiming for 5/5 but it ended up being something like 6 minutes sketch, 4 minutes ink.

Observations:
  1. Oddly enough, the sketch actually looks better than the combined or inked version.
  2. This may partially be because the sketch was done looking at the Amiibo, but the ink was done looking primarily at the sketch while running out of time.
  3. I spent too much time making the sketch detailed instead of just a rough guideline.
  4. Drawing and inking an 800x600 image at 150% zoom means small details like faces are nearly impossible to do accurately. I will need to start zooming in more or learn to make my drawings bigger. My drawings end up taking less of the page than I expect.
  5. Drawing a tiny thing feels difficult, but interesting large things are hard to find without looking at photographs.
  6. Shading with ink is hard!
  7. Inking without erasing is hard, since I accidentally make lines too thick! I feel like allowing myself to erase or clean up ink lines at this point might encourage bad habits, however.

this is really nice

wtf do you think this is, Paintover?

Looks amazing, the sense of depth is really well done!
Y'all too kind. Color markers put me on edge sometimes haha

The Labyrinth/Bowie piece ed made last year is one of the best things I've seen in these threads, and it was black and white only. We are for a treat if my name is ed is painting them this year.
I had forgotten about that one! Glad you liked it. Funny little story about that one. I did it as a gift for my sister-in-law. My mother-in-law went to go get it framed at Hobby Lobby and the dude taking the order straight up tried to buy it from her haha

In case anyone is curious about what it looks like

Top Bottom