• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
I'd love to see Santana having a ridiculous season but i hope they didn't overdo the park to the pitchers side, having a Petco 2.0 would be awful.
At least Reyes will have like 30 triples :D

BTW Mets fans this last week i've seen Fernando Martinez playing here in the winter league.
Do not believe the naysayers. That kid is something special, i'm already in love with him and he's playing with the team i loathe.

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
:lol

I can't imagine it being much different from Shea (you said the winds turned it into Wrigley sometimes, sometimes it would keep monster bombs in the ballpark), but yeah, we'll see.
The fact that the structure itself is completely different from Shea (which had an open outfield) means it will probably handle wind differently.

However, bigger dimensions and less open tells me that Citi is looking to be a pitchers paradise.

eznark said:
The fact that the structure itself is completely different from Shea (which had an open outfield) means it will probably handle wind differently.

However, bigger dimensions and less open tells me that Citi is looking to be a pitchers paradise.
Yea, you're right about that. It does mention that in the article.

I just looked at a pic, and I didn't know the left field wall was going to be THAT high. Wind's gonna need to be blowing out in every direction at 25 mph for this is to be comparable to Shea, and that's not physically possible

eznark said:

You missed the part where there is a Miroku-like windtunnel (THE SAME ONE THAT EXISTS IN GREAT AMERICAN AND CBP) that apparently blows to left field in Citi.

GO LINKA!!

29f362q.gif

Mrbob

Cubs should make a push for Derek Lowe. Could use a sinkerball pitcher at wrigley.

Maybe we can sign Lowe and still trade for Peavy to really piss off Eznark. :D

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
CajoleJuice said:
but is he better than Andruw Jones
Andruw will be back in Atlanta.....then released at the end of spring training. I would be shocked if he is not back.
Cubs should make a push for Derek Lowe. Could use a sinkerball pitcher at wrigley.

Maybe we can sign Lowe and still trade for Peavy to really piss off Eznark.
So who would be the odd man out? It should be Zambrano, I love it when he throws fits.

Mrbob

Well we got rid of marquis....

Zambrano, Peavy, Lowe, Lily, Dumpster

Harden can spot start once every 10 days since he seems to need this much rest to make a quality start.

Realistically, Cubs won't get both...but I think they are honing in on one. Cubs GM Jim Hendry already stated he wants another starter for this team before the season starts. Of course, we could get neither and just put Sean Marshall in the 5 spot. But I think he is needed to spot start for Harden.

xelv

Rocco will join 'hometown' Red Sox

MLB.com said:
BOSTON -- All along, Rocco Baldelli had planned to be at the Boston Baseball Writers Dinner on Thursday night, where he will be honored as the winner of the Tony Conigliaro Award. As it turns out, Baldelli may now be receiving that as an official member of the Boston Red Sox, the team he grew up rooting for as a kid.

YES! *in before the white power joke*

clemenx

Banned
It will be weird to watch Smoltz in a Sox uniform. I wonder how he'll do in the AL. he was nasty last season when healthy.

And if its true that Baldelli was misdiagnosed and he's treatable the Sox could have landed the ultimate bargain.

Windu

If smoltz is not on the braves next season I am going on a Killing Spree, starting with Frank Wren. I will be taking requests after that. I hate him.

Windu

I kinda assumed they would go with him since they had two NL stars the previous two years.

Windu

ok....I read the smoltz stuff wrong...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Frank, you fucking suck. Worst GM in baseball. fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck.

edit: Apparently Wren offered Smoltz a MINOR league contract. WTF! The man deserves a major league contract after all he has done for the team. This offseason couldn't get any worse, could it?

Windu

5.5 million contract..they are going to lose more than that in ticket sales because of this. There will be a lot of empty seats at turner next year.

....and Chipper's contract is up after next year. I doubt he resigns because of this. I bet Bobby is gonig to Retire after this season too. This will not end well.

Grecco

Ive been a Braves fan for 19 years.

There hasnt been a loss that has hurt me more than Smoltzie leaving. Not Javy Lopez not Tommy to the Mets, not the David Justice trade.

Fuck Frank Wren.

RBH

2gwguvs.gif

Fantastic. :lol :lol

I haven't changed my Hawks avatar in over a year, but I'm REALLY tempted to change mine to an anti-Wren avatar right about now.

Zep

Banned
Right-hander John Patterson, best known for his years with the Nationals, announced on Wednesday that he is retiring from baseball because of persistent pain in his right forearm.
Patterson, 30, has had forearm problems dating back to the 2006 season, and two surgeries were unable to fix the problem.

"I started throwing about a month ago, and it hasn't been going well," Patterson said by telephone. "I have my good days and I have my bad days. So I decided to not play anymore. I'm going to retire."

Patterson played six seasons in the big leagues and was 18-25 with a 4.32 ERA during his career with the Diamondbacks, Expos and Nationals. His best season came with Washington in 2005, when he went 9-7 with a 3.13 ERA in 31 starts. He earned the nickname "The Big Nasty" after blanking the Dodgers, 7-0, on Aug. 4 of that year.

"That's a year I look back on and go, 'You know, that year really went right for me.' That's the way my career was supposed to be," he said. "I worked hard. I prepared myself. I didn't get the wins I should have gotten."

But it went downhill after the '05 season. Patterson would make just a combined 15 starts the next two years because of nerve damage in his forearm.

In 2008, Patterson proclaimed that his forearm problems were behind him, but he was hit hard during Spring Training and the Nationals released him on March 20. Patterson was 0-2 with a 7.00 ERA in nine innings, and opposing hitters had a .317 batting average against him. It didn't help that Patterson's fastball was clocked in the low to mid 80s. General manager Jim Bowden had said that he was looking for Patterson to have his fastball around 90 mph.

Three days later, Patterson signed a Minor League contract with the Rangers. Unfortunately, Patterson's forearm problems returned during an extended spring game in early May, and he was forced to miss the rest of the season. Texas released Patterson later that month.

Patterson was advised to rest the forearm until January 1, but he started throwing during the first week of December. The pain in his forearm returned two weeks later.

"It's just one of those deals where you scratch your head and ask, 'What went wrong?'" Patterson said. "I was taking care of myself and trying to do everything the right way. It just didn't work out for me. After time, it starts to wear on you.

"I'm tired of hurting. I'm tired of going through the pain and putting in the work. It's not moving forward. That's the best way I can say it to you. ... It's a tough decision for me. It was not a decision I wanted to make."

Patterson, a Texas native, declined to say what he was going to do with the rest of his life, but acknowledged that he has been doing a lot of hunting this offseason.

"There are a few things I have going here in town with a friend of mine -- business-wise," Patterson said. "Now that I have made the decision to move forward in my life, maybe some opportunities will open up for me. As of right now, it's up in the air."

OK, I really don't care. It just gives me an excuse to post a pic of his wife..

352rwyb.jpg

Mmmm mmm Mmmmmmmm

Oxx

You can understand how Peavy and Burnett got away.

But failing to sign Smoltz is just disgustingly incompetent.

:(

Sanjuro

Zep said:
Let me add to the Red SOx love

270337b.jpg
That looks great.

I heard about Smoltz rumors a long time ago, I didn't believe they had any weight to them. I always like to see a player of that stature come around here and has always seemed to be a great guy to have around. Hopefully he stays healthy and can be a great contributor.

Cereal

The thought of Smoltzy playing for anyone but the Braves has me on the verge of physical sickness.

Fuck you Frank Wren.

Fatalah

Wrensawesomejob.jpg

I like how everybody loves to play around with my avatar. Who would have thought a 10 second mock-up in MS Paint would have legs like this?

Keep it up! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom