• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First direct feed screenshots of Dragon Quest 7 3DS

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
WccwO.jpg
bvlp9.jpg
Zq9Ou.jpg

:( It's really ugly outside of battles. I think it looks great during battle though. Not that it matters much since DQVII didn't look good in the first place but it was still a fun game.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed.

as long as the rest is fine no problem for me
also looking forward the fps (dq9 was a little slow though I still put around 500h in it), please 60fps :)
and the damn text speed in the localization ^^

waiting for a video to see it in motion, sometimes it is better in motion :)

Yeah I don't believe you will get that at all. It will probably be 30 fps with drops when it gets chaotic on the screen.

Right, didn't see that extra "I."

There's not a significant difference. The character models are better, there's slightly more detail in the game world itself... but DQ 8 doesn't look "much better."

Yeah, it's fairly exciting that a game that came out like 8 years ago is looking slightly better than something coming out next year.

I didn't want to play any more past DQ games (just focus on future), but this looks good. Another reason for me to eventually go out and buy a 3DS.

randomkid

The maps on the bottom screen are really gorgeous.

Trying to reconcile my feeling that Okami had a fantastic level of content but DQ7 is needlessly bloated. Both are games where the majority seem to dislike the game length and padding, I guess in Okami the scenario and world design was constantly fresh so I never felt bored, but in DQ7 the vignettes are so charmless and the fable structure of the game leads to everything repeating with minimal payoff and really lazy finishers ("and then they had a feast") that are reused multiple times for no reason. Also Okami is half as long as DQ7.

I feel like cutting some of the more egregious vignettes would really improve the pacing and make the theme of the game much stronger. Keep the intro though, it's absolutely perfect and people desperate to reach the first battle are missing the point I think.

Shahed

Right, didn't see that extra "I."

Dragon Quest 8:

583527_20051114_screen002.jpg

Dragon Quest 7 Remaster:

FjEnc.jpg

Dragon Quest 8:

583527_20050923_screen012.jpg

Dragon Quest 7 Remaster:

5jBce.jpg

Dragon Quest 8:

583527_20051024_screen005.jpg

Dragon Quest 7 Remaster:

cHIs5.jpg

There's not a significant difference. The character models are better, there's slightly more detail in the game world itself... but DQ 8 doesn't look "much better."

I guess I just prefer the artsyle on DQ8. Escpecially the character models

Aeana

The maps on the bottom screen are really gorgeous.

Trying to reconcile my feeling that Okami had a fantastic level of content but DQ7 is needlessly bloated. Both are games where the majority seem to dislike the game length and padding, I guess in Okami the scenario and world design was constantly fresh so I never felt bored, but in DQ7 the vignettes are so charmless and the fable structure of the game leads to everything repeating with minimal payoff and really lazy finishers ("and then they had a feast") that are reused multiple times for no reason. Also Okami is half as long as DQ7.

I feel like cutting some of the more egregious vignettes would really improve the pacing and make the theme of the game much stronger. Keep the intro though, it's absolutely perfect and people desperate to reach the first battle are missing the point I think.

Where is the padding in DQ7?

I honestly believe that people just see "lots of content" and think PADDED, which makes no sense to me. Padding is stuff like having to fight the same bosses over again, having to go back to the same exact areas, etc. DQ7 doesn't do this. The content is all unique. Every vignette is special to me, personally.

pyrandes

Outside of some of the art (which isnt bad, but it isnt that special either), this is looking like a great port. While its disappointing to get rid of the world map view in favor of VIII's field view, as long as no content of VII is cut Ill be a happy camper.

VII was one of my favorite jrpgs (and longest for me).

looks really nice. This and Bravely Default better come to Europe ! Even English only !
Now, if we want to see something as gorgeous as DQVIII, we'll have to wait Level 5 to make a Dragon Quest game, like DQXI :p

ghibli99

I honestly believe that people just see "lots of content" and think PADDED, which makes no sense to me. Padding is stuff like having to fight the same bosses over again, having to go back to the same exact areas, etc. DQ7 doesn't do this. The content is all unique. Every vignette is special to me, personally.
I feel like the entire focus of the game is centered around going to the same place over and over again (and walking long boring hallways until you unlock warps). It's not the vignettes themselves, but the stuff between them that makes a lot of people hate this game up until you unlock the job system.

Aeana

I feel like the entire focus of the game is centered around going to the same place over and over again (and walking long boring hallways until you unlock warps). It's not the vignettes themselves, but the stuff between them that makes a lot of people hate this game up until you unlock the job system.

What are you referring to? The brief journey into the fane to set the shards? Otherwise you don't really do that. The flow of the game is go to past -> fix problems -> go to present version of that location to get some shards and hints -> go to the next place. You can warp directly to the fane with zoom/return, so if you were walking in through the entrance each time, that was unnecessary.

UberTag

Dragon Quest VIII was one gorgeous cel-shaded mofo of a game.

That being said, DQ7 on 3DS looks perfectly pleasant compared to the ugly mess the game was on the original PlayStation.
Certainly falls in line with my expectations.
Are there a host of "on par with DQ8 visuals" JRPGs on 3DS I have not been made aware of?

turnbuckle

Looks very good to me. Obviously not close to DQ VIII standards but much better than the PSone graphics. Not being able (or maybe not even wanting) to play DQ 10 might not feel so bad....so long as this gets localized.

ghibli99

What are you referring to? The brief journey into the fane to set the shards? Otherwise you don't really do that. The flow of the game is go to past -> fix problems -> go to present version of that location to get some shards and hints -> go to the next place. You can warp directly to the fane with zoom/return, so if you were walking in through the entrance each time, that was unnecessary.
I don't expect us to agree on this. I know how you feel about DQ7, so I was just stating my individual experience with the game. As you know, I ended up really liking it, but I don't pretend that it's perfect.

randomkid

It's been so many years since I've played, don't you go back through nearly every dungeon in the game with usually minimal changes? I'll defer to you though on the specifics, I just felt revisiting each town and dungeon was a nice conceit 3 or 4 times, not so much 10 or 12. (again lemme know if I'm wrong, this is just the way I remember feeling at the time). I thought so many of the vignettes had no reason to be there, but yeah, people can clearly feel differently.

There's also a slightly different argument that egregious asset reuse can feel like "padding" I guess. It's pretty shallow, but I don't feel it's out of line to think that new content loses impact when its the same sprites in same-looking locations with the same music you heard 50 hours ago. Padding is the wrong word to use sure, but more content isn't an inherently good thing and I think that's where most people are coming from when they say that.

Aeana

I don't expect us to agree on this. I know how you feel about DQ7, so I was just stating my individual experience with the game. As you know, I ended up really liking it, but I don't pretend that it's perfect.

To agree on... what? I asked you a question - where do you go back through the same hallways over and over?
Eh, perhaps it has to do with the below?

It's been so many years since I've played, don't you go back through nearly every dungeon in the game with usually minimal changes? I'll defer to you though on the specifics, I just felt revisiting each town and dungeon was a nice conceit 3 or 4 times, not so much 10 or 12. (again lemme know if I'm wrong, this is just the way I remember feeling at the time). I thought so many of the vignettes had no reason to be there, but yeah, people can clearly feel differently.

There's also a slightly different argument that egregious asset reuse can feel like "padding" I guess. It's pretty shallow, but I don't feel it's out of line to think that new content loses impact when its the same sprites in same-looking locations with the same music you heard 50 hours ago. Padding is the wrong word to use sure, but more content isn't an inherently good thing and I think that's where most people are coming from when they say that.

It's true, you can go back through the dungeons in the present a lot of the time. I suppose I could understand calling that padding, although there are usually changes and usually when you're going to a dungeon for a second time, you're looking for those changes - i.e., what did my actions in the past affect in this time period? But I understand if you didn't enjoy that part.

Regardless, cutting content is not a good idea. The game's already been made, and if you start chopping stuff, you'll just upset people. Everybody likes different parts more than others.

ghibli99

To agree on... what? I asked you a question - where do you go back through the same hallways over and over?
To agree on this game's pacing before unlocking the job system. I don't recall having Zoom in the early parts of the game either. I played this a few years ago, so forgive me if I don't remember it in crystal-clear detail, but I do remember those hallways like the back of my hand.

dq 8 ship (best I could find)
dq8-40.jpg

dq7 remake ship
bvlp9.jpg

This ship is horribly textured, It looks like it was made by 2 different people. Doesn't seem to fit the scene at all. They couldn't be bothered to align the railing right.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's a nice upgrade so I'm interested. And it looks like they added visible encounters, at least now I know it won't be as frustrating for me from that alone! Looks better most 3D DQ games too, though they didn't go for the cel-shaded look and that's the biggest reason why it's nowhere near DQVIII level.

Aeana

To agree on this game's pacing before unlocking the job system. I don't recall having Zoom in the early parts of the game either. I played this a few years ago, so forgive me if I don't remember it in crystal-clear detail, but I do remember those hallways like the back of my hand.

I see. Well, the hero learns zoom at level 8.

Why are people complaining that DQ8 looked better than DQ7? Duh, the sequel designed for PS2 is going to look better than a game designed for PS1. You do get that they aren't creating an entirely new game from scratch, right? They are most likely starting with the original game assets whenever they can and slightly improving them and then adding some graphic effects, and when they must create new assets they just make them look the same as the old assets so they'll match (ie, it'd be strange to have super detailed or cell-shaded characters when the rest of the game wasn't). With a game as huge as DQ7 that's really the best way to make money off of it.

Especially complaining about the art style, if they changed the art style it wouldn't be DQ7, they might as well just make a new DQ game.

Aeana

Well, from what I remember, god help you if you miss a shard somehow.

Still, my favorite DQ game. It wouldn't be DQ7 without at least a little bit of ugliness in the graphics too.

Well, this remake addresses the shard thing by allowing you to get hints about shard locations from anywhere via your new companion.

Not bad. I don't mind the more SD look of this game. Interesting choice of camera angle, too, it's more like the oldschool overhead RPGs.
Sure, some aspects of the graphics could be better, but I'll gladly play this over the original.

ghibli99

I see. Well, the hero learns zoom at level 8.
Does Zoom teleport you inside to where the pedestals are or just outside the entrance? If it was just outside, then that's why I have such clear memories of walking those underground hallways until you unlock the warps later.

Aeana

Did it teleport you inside to where the pedestals are or just outside the entrance? If it was just outside, then that's why I have such clear memories of walking those underground hallways until you unlock the warps.

It teleports you to the adventure journal just outside the place with the pedestals. You literally just walk north through the door and now you're where the pedestals are.

randomkid

Why are people complaining that DQ8 looked better than DQ7? Duh, the sequel designed for PS2 is going to look better than a game designed for PS1. You do get that they aren't creating an entirely new game from scratch, right? They are most likely starting with the original game assets whenever they can and slightly improving them and then adding some graphic effects. With a game as huge as DQ7 that's really the best way to make money off of it.

Heh, DQ7 is a game that looked significantly worse than DQ6, it was definitely not "designed for PS1." Except maybe the hilarious CG portions. Also pretty sure almost no assets from the PSX version have made it into this remake, like people are saying, it looks like DQ5 PS2.

KrawlMan

I know there's a lot of negativity about the visuals, but I think it looks perfectly fine.

Between this and Bravely Default, I'm really looking forward to next year (assuming they both hit US next year).

Why are people complaining that DQ8 looked better than DQ7? Duh, the sequel designed for PS2 is going to look better than a game designed for PS1. You do get that they aren't creating an entirely new game from scratch, right? They are most likely starting with the original game assets whenever they can and slightly improving them and then adding some graphic effects, and when they must create new assets they just make them look the same as the old assets so they'll match (ie, it'd be strange to have super detailed or cell-shaded characters when the rest of the game wasn't). With a game as huge as DQ7 that's really the best way to make money off of it.

Especially complaining about the art style, if they changed the art style it wouldn't be DQ7, they might as well just make a new DQ game.

I'm not sure very many ancient PS1 assets actually transferred over intact.

That was THREE GENS ago, after all, even if DQ7 was a late PS1 release.

Top Bottom