• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes (XBLA, Developed by Treasure) [Update 2: Gameplay Video, 800 Points]

toypop

Sixfortyfive said:
The phrase I have translated as "Combo Correction" is used to describe damage scaling in some other games, so that might be what that is. Not sure what "Attribute Correction" would be.

"運補正" means randomness by luck.
"属性補正" means elemental damage scaling by fire, ice thunder etc.

And this game has new training mode in it.
Awesome!

Clunker

Beyond excited. I drooled over this game for years in gaming magazines, but never got to play it myself. Only had one friend with a Saturn as a kid, and he stopped buying games for it after the Horde and Daytona. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kafel said:

Very interesting. New Style Graphics, with a modified Old-Style HUD. And the showing up of that color-burst stained-glass effect!

Like the use of all the sketches in the background, too; They really seem to be trying to push a "Look ma, hand-made drawings!" kinda feel onto this project, which is cool. With the strong filtered outlines, the pencil-shaded shadows, and the watercolor-esque look of the backgrounds now, it a nice spin on it, bringing some kinda cohesion to it all.

Edit: Uploaded the Vid to Youtube, for convenience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G55HRPeDXJ8

Okay so where the hell is Radiant Silvergun?
Somebody needs to get on a ball and find this shit out.

Guardian Heroes went from "No way...really?" to "This Summer!!!!!!" in a few weeks and it must be at least 80% done. RS? Absolutely nowhere.

Please stop sucking at hype Microsoft.

EDIT: doh

Gaspode_T

Radiant Silvergun is published by Microsoft, so Treasure probably has less say about when they can talk about it. I nearly by accident got to see Radiant Silvergun in motion, I can't really say anything but that I nearly tripped over my own feet when I walked past someone playtesting it. (Hint: That's a good thing)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Pre-E3 look at the concept art for the game (Han's original concept art, maybe?)
Blog Link Here.

5794913068_2ed66e6992.jpg

Hey Guardian Heroes fans! We’ll be showing off the game at E3 next week, and we’ve got some great concept art to get you pumped up for it! In addition to the great group image above, we’re highlighting two characters: Serena Corsair and Samuel Han.

Serena Corsair
5794358479_cf2b8d2af0.jpg

Serena was a member of the Royal Nights: Red Group until she defected upon learning Kanon’s plans. She first appears as she warns the Guardian Heroes that they are to be ambushed by royal knights seeking the sword of the Undead Hero they found at the start of the game. She is later an unlockable character.

5794912684_dd08c589ce.jpg

Samuel Han
5794913974_946b066fc0.jpg

Samuel Han: Previous member of the Royal Knight: Blue Team who left to seek fame and fortune as an Adventurer. The story begins as Han has acquired the Sword of the Undead Hero, and they are ambushed by the Royal Knights. He is arguably the protaganist in the story.

5794912936_e9feaa900b.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Guardian Heroes on destructoid's "Mash Tactics" (6/29/11)

Starts at around 16:26 in. The XBLA title screen pops up a few minutes before that, with the into music playing.

Don't know how long it is myself yet, but hey, any chance to see the game, is a chance to see something new, right?

GH's goes on till about 0:57:32... and then comes back on at 1:25:52

Kanon starts his infamous trip through heaven and hell at around 1:32:00

1:44:45 goes to the forest stage, where as most of the playthroughs here go to the first option after graveyard (which leads to stage 4)

They play it on till the end of this 2 hr segment.

So, no showing of "Arcade" mode, but we do get to knwo they're playing under "Remix" option in story mode, though we don't really know what that means.

Oh, and they show that there's a gallery mode, which is nice to see. They also announce they wanna give away pieces of concept art on the Sega Blogs, if they were not hacked.

This was the E3 build. Apparently, the option to switch graphics on the fly was added in a later one, but wasn't available here.

Noone casted a frickin' magic spell, lol. Serena and the NPCs did, of course, but not the players...

Wished they showed off the new features, or even played around some in VS mode, but for any purist who wanna delve into the vid to see the new translations (A good amount of "story" shown here), then this is a decent video to pause and disect, lol.

How did Han's "He wants this sword? I'll give it to him... Blade first!" get turned into "This thing cuts like a butter knife!" o_O Most other translations I could remember seemed pretty close. (I think they turned Zur's "Eek! Skeletons!" to "Skeletons! Erk!" lol), but I did notice called the Black knights "The Black Order"....

XLant

Neo Member
Game's shaping up nicely; looks just right in motion. My sole concern is how well they implement the online. Appreciate the updates SAB CA :]

m0dus said:
Here's an interesting story: Last year, during E3 we met with Haruki Satomi of Sega (vp of digital media, and son of the current pres) and actually told him, point blank, that they needed to rerelease guardian heroes (and shining force) with remastered graphics (get this, I actually got to sit there and show him all the 'hd remix' concepts I had done for all those games). He actually said 'why do so many people love it, but so few bought it?' when we got to that GH picture. Our response was something akin to, "that was then, this is now, etc'. He knew the quality of the property, though, and it was obvious. Still, I now have to wonder if we influenced the decision to bring it back ;)
Thank you for sharing this story, and thank you for passing your ideas on. No way to gauge how much influence you may have had on their decision to rerelease GH, but it certainly didn't hurt and it's refreshing and even encouraging to know there are individuals in a position to make a difference and doing so. Guardian Heroes is a videogame's videogame, and its fresh design expresses a philosophy that's sometimes missing from the medium.

Also, I'm doing my best not to let my thoughts run rampant after your hints, but like others who contributed to this page I hope this is only the first sign of things to come. I still have my original copy and will buy this in a heartbeat regardless. I'm even planning on renewing my gold membership for this.

Alextended said:
You people better buy it so that they bring (to you & to more platforms) more Saturn classics.
Sage advice if there ever was. Anyone who missed out on the Saturn- whatever the reason- has no idea what gems they've missed. And with the time+tech limits faced by devs back then so many of those games are crying out for HD upgrades. (Burning Rangers minus slowdown/clipping and a complete Shining Force III for example)
ezekial45 said:
Also, can't they just reverse engineer from ROMs or from actual copies of the game? I know that may be a bit crass, but at least it's something, right?
Was sitting here thinking the same thing. It may be frowned upon for obvious reasons but in this situation wouldn't it be acceptable? We're talking about [Panzer Dragon Azel:] one of the most progressive and well-crafted RPGs- in terms of both gameplay and plot- and to date it's probably been played by a scant few. Games this good- games that decorate the Saturn's overlooked backlog, oozing with care and dedication- deserve to be seen and heard.

Rain_ng

Banned
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, But Achievements are up:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/guardian-heroes/achievements/

Bark Like a Dog! 5
Give the Undead Hero a command in Story Mode.

Align with the Sign 5
Find the Coliseum in Story Mode.

Vendetta's End 10
Defeat Kanon in Story Mode.

Knighty Nite 20
Defeat Valgar in Story Mode.

Yep, Clowns Are Scary 20
Defeat Super Zur in Story Mode.

He Just Got Bronzed 20
Defeat Golden Silver in Story Mode.

The Sky is Fallen 20
Defeat the Sky Spirit in Story Mode.

Dirty Schemer 20
Defeat the Great Earth Spirit in Story Mode.

Or So the Tale Goes 5
Finish Story Mode in any difficulty.

The Hero That Heroes Call 15
Finish Story Mode in Hard Mode without using any continues.

Another World Saved 30
Watch all the endings in Story Mode.

Guardian Heroes 30
Unlock all characters in Story Mode.

....The Hero That Heroes Call is gonna be a bitch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Haha, yeah, THAT achievement you mention is pretty much going to boil down to Nicole + Original Mode, heh heh.

Thanks for sharing!

Rewards for seeing and doing everything there is to see and do in the game. Good deal.

Happy there are no online-specific achievements either; the list is made as if it rewarded you for playing the game as it was originally designed, rather than forcing you onto a mode that many purchasers might not even want the game for.

Now if only they'd hide the release date (Or a new trailer...) somewhere...

I think they listed the original Intro being viewable in the gallery, at least, but not sure exactly where it was mentioned.

mOdus, didn't you have some suprise revelation that you were worried about speaking on too early? What ever happened to that? It can't be too early anymore! ^_^;

I can't wait for this, I haven't played it in years.

I remember good times with friends though.

Himself said:
I hate to crap the place up with my laziness but any word on a PSN release? Cause damn I want this.

Nope.

V_Ben said:
Not yet...

True that, but I was under the impression that none of the Treasure XBLA games had ever crossed over to PSN.

Still, the more platforms the better. If only there was this much interest for the Saturn version back in the day ;(

Tain

PJX said:
That is going to be near impossible :/

nah, it doesn't seem that bad. I'd be disappointed if they didn't have a "no continues" requirement, and there are obviously harder achievements out there.

.la1n

Yoritomo said:
Either this is a funny Saturn vs PS1 joke or I'm confused.

It's a very old and tired joke that has been beaten like a western whore house. At one point Sony was against 2D games being on the PS3 therefore Cave went to the 360, etc. Much time has passed since then.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
@majornelson Larry Hryb Rock of Ages, Guardian Heroes, Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon (800 pts/each) + The Baconing (1200 points)

TOMORROW PEOPLE!!!

Tomorrow????

GAHHHHHHH!

UndeadHeroVictory.jpg

A FIVE GAME release day? ........... This is the sloppiest XBLA release day ever.

(Oh, and Radiant Silvergun releases in 2 Weeks!)

SAB CA said:
@majornelson Larry Hryb Rock of Ages, Guardian Heroes, Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon (800 pts/each) + The Baconing (1200 points)

TOMORROW PEOPLE!!!

Tomorrow????

GAHHHHHHH!

UndeadHeroVictory.jpg

A FIVE GAME release day? ........... This is the sloppiest XBLA release day ever.

(Oh, and Radiant Silvergun releases in 2 Weeks!)
I'm afraid you're late to the news. This tweet got its own thread.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
_dementia said:
I'm afraid you're late to the news. This tweet got its own thread.

That's fine... but new threads popping up, for people who mainly check their subscription threads for updates and news, doesn't really do anything! So had to update this one as well.

(Especially since it wasn't even strongly mentioned in the XBLA update info thread, at time of posting.)

But yeah, time to move all discussion to the OFFICIAL THREAD!

Top Bottom