• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
botticus said:
:lol You don't know who you're talking to.

Thanks a lot for helping with that Jaggi quest, Alex. Got a ridiculous amount of loot. 2 heads, 2 beaks from Qurupeco, yet another Rook Charm.
I'm scared of going online for that same reason. I imagine myself getting in the way at a crucial moment and ruining it for everyone.
I'll stay offline for the time being :lol

RurouniZel said:
This has probably been posted, but I thought you know, just in case. I just came across this little gem.

IM]http://www.studio-zel.com/images/KeikakumeansplanMH3.JPG[/IMG]

there's a couple of those.. my favourite from the trade captain:

"Purezonto" means present!

edit: oh shit it's full of them.. "maybe he stay a while. maybe he stay forever!" :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have an easier time with the Royal Ludroth when its underwater. Is it just me? When its on the ground, his tail swipes and barrel rolls can be quite unpredictable and dangerous, when underwater, its just swim fast & dodge when he charge then hit him on the sides.

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
I have an easier time with the Royal Ludroth when its underwater. Is it just me? When its on the ground, his tail swipes and barrel rolls can be quite unpredictable and dangerous, when underwater, its just swim fast & dodge when he charge then hit him on the sides.
I actually prefer him on land than underwater mainly due to the mobility. Other than that I really don't care. Oh and his rolls and tail swipes aren't that much of a problem if you cut off his tail and be a bit cautious.

Great Baggi was disappointing =/ I LOVE CHA CHA! He woke me up from sleeping many times :D And what was that creepy green thing??! He kept showing up when I was fighting GBaggi so eventually I threw a dung bomb at it and it went away :lol

Is there any easier way to get the LS? I haven't played online yet... will I be able to carve Gobul after killing it online with others? LS required materials make me =( at the thought of having to go back and kill Gobul again. I'd rather fight Barroth 3 times over. Ok, long question made short: If I killed Gobul online with others will I carve the same amount of items as if I did it offline?

Maybe I just need more practice but I get disoriented in the murky water. I hate when I don't have my weapon out and he does the light thing... I try to block but of course that doesn't work :lol As a result I died twice but at least managed to kill him with less than 5 minutes to go. Yes, I suck when it comes to him.

Tried fishing him out with the frog but I guess because it was my first time fighting him I had to go see the cutscene or something. Hope it's possible next time.

I apologize for the unnecessary Gobul rant :D

Ridley327

Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Great Baggi was disappointing =/ I LOVE CHA CHA! He woke me up from sleeping many times :D And what was that creepy green thing??! He kept showing up when I was fighting GBaggi so eventually I threw a dung bomb at it and it went away :lol

Is there any easier way to get the LS? I haven't played online yet... will I be able to carve Gobul after killing it online with others? LS required materials make me =( at the thought of having to go back and kill Gobul again. I'd rather fight Barroth 3 times over. Ok, long question made short: If I killed Gobul online with others will I carve the same amount of items as if I did it offline?

Maybe I just need more practice but I get disoriented in the murky water. I hate when I don't have my weapon out and he does the light thing... I try to block but of course that doesn't work :lol As a result I died twice but at least managed to kill him with less than 5 minutes to go. Yes, I suck when it comes to him.

Tried fishing him out with the frog but I guess because it was my first time fighting him I had to go see the cutscene or something. Hope it's possible next time.

I apologize for the unnecessary Gobul rant :D

Yeah, you'll still get the same three carves (more if you get the right meal power!) as anyone else, in addition to the quest rewards. I'm in the same boat where I need a couple of his mats in order to forge my very first Long Sword.

JRPereira

Finally figured out the answer to the gobul problem; lances! If I carried more than a few health potions it would've been an easy 0-death run. Lots of easy counters and openings, and you can sit under him and upstab. If he goes underground, use the charge to torpedo the hell away.

Lagi quest finally popped. I'll end up doing that and more over the weekend.

satori

damn this peco peco.....I captured it 8 times, broke its beak each time, and only one strange beak in my pocket. At least i have some spending money now. Just got back from the sports bar filled up with some New Castle and some espresso beer, I am good to go for some hunting!

Tenbatsu

CHARMS
nwy4ow.jpg

6z3mvs.jpg

Hope this is useful for you guys. Am not sure if the names of the Talisman are correct not thou.

Luigiv: Can you help to put this in the OP?

Saya

What is the best and fastest way to earn money? I have tons of materials, but not enough money to buy my upgrades.

demonkaze

Things like godbugs are good for money, also sell the materials that you won't be using much of anymore or that is easy to get, such as the Jaggi parts.

Schwabe

How to shoot binding balista shots on jhen moran with the CCpro? Does anyone know? didn't find it out yesterday, maybe i was too tired^^

Schwabe said:
How to shoot binding balista shots on jhen moran with the CCpro? Does anyone know? didn't find it out yesterday, maybe i was too tired^^

Have the ballista ammo ready to use and when you get close to the gun, press y. Aim with the stick and press the a button to fire. Multiple people can be on it at once.

Schwabe

Gamer @ Heart said:
Have the ballista ammo ready to use and when you get close to the gun, press y. Aim with the stick and press the a button to fire. Multiple people can be on it at once.

yes, thats the normal balista shots. i mean these harpoon things O,o

Korigama

After playing since the US launch, I feel really stupid for not knowing that crouching is handled by pressing B when still and without a weapon equipped, same for not knowing that A is used to climb ledges (hence having had no idea how to get to area 8 in Moga Woods before then). Not ready for online just yet, but I'm getting there.

Nisa65

Won a free copy of this with the classic pro a few weeks back at a promotional event in the UK. I now have 3 copies of the game and 3 classic pros :D
DSC02005.jpg

Also tried to fight Jhen Mohran with a friend twice last night and once solo, failed miserably. Is it doable with 2 people at HR 30 or is it best to have at least 3 people fighting it?

dsister44 said:
ok that was a frickin epic gaming.
Hey dude. yeah, that was pretty cool. Things really werent going well at first. When faust and i caught up with you, we were just coming out of a couple of rathian runs, we captured her a couple of times, she'd fucked us up another couple of times. We werent doing awesome, but we werent doing horrible.
And then, when it was 4 of us, everything just went to shit. Things got really crowded, i didnt have room to find openings (without slashing teammates), half of us were just throwing themselves at rathian without concerns for defense (and kept dying).
But then, when i got back from dinner, things really started to work themselves out, and we kept steamrolling fuckers like it's nothing.

Although, i've got to say, to be completely honest, one of the guys you were running with was... i dunno... kinda... annoying as all hell? :)
"Hay guaïz!!! Check out my cool baggi gear!!! How awesome is this shit!!? Yeah, it's got fucking 25 defense against ice, how RAD is that!!!??"
"Wait wait i have another set thats even cooler!!!!"
"Hay guaïz!!! We totally pawned that rath!!! How awesome was i in there!!?" (my answer being: not very, your main contribution was triple pounding me and launching me in rathian's way, but WHATEVER)
But its ok, had a good time anyways. :)

hiro4

Just played some more today.
Finished some 1Star online quests, and tried some other different things.
And I found out that Tri improved so much from Unite.

One of my favorite parts is the fact with Felyne cooking you can see what the effect of your choice will be if you have done it before! With the PSP version I was always holding on to a guide. The same for combining. Everything is just less cumbersome.

I love it!

botticus

Nayishiki said:
Thanks for the games botticus, vesper and adam, it was fun.
Didn't realize you were on GAF, let me know next time you're on and I'll friend you.

Is there a way to get information on the people that are in your city? Kind of annoying having to search for their name to send them a message to friend them.

dsister44

Fistwell said:
Hey dude. yeah, that was pretty cool. Things really werent going well at first. When faust and i caught up with you, we were just coming out of a couple of rathian runs, we captured her a couple of times, she'd fucked us up another couple of times. We werent doing awesome, but we werent doing horrible.
And then, when it was 4 of us, everything just went to shit. Things got really crowded, i didnt have room to find openings (without slashing teammates), half of us were just throwing themselves at rathian without concerns for defense (and kept dying).
But then, when i got back from dinner, things really started to work themselves out, and we kept steamrolling fuckers like it's nothing.

Although, i've got to say, to be completely honest, one of the guys you were running with was... i dunno... kinda... annoying as all hell? :)
"Hay guaïz!!! Check out my cool baggi gear!!! How awesome is this shit!!? Yeah, it's got fucking 25 defense against ice, how RAD is that!!!??"
"Wait wait i have another set thats even cooler!!!!"
"Hay guaïz!!! We totally pawned that rath!!! How awesome was i in there!!?" (my answer being: not very, your main contribution was triple pounding me and launching me in rathian's way, but WHATEVER)
But its ok, had a good time anyways. :)

do you mean rol orthe guy who helped us with the Lagiacrus?

either way it was awesome when we really started to click. I was being thrown into the air far less in the second half of the night. I think learning patience was a big part of it. The main problem was Rathian is that with SnS i'm most effective attacking here feet, that running attack she does takes off about 75% of my health its crazy, learning to run away before she charges improved my game a lot

That said we all had times where we fucked up, I went through that bad spell wherei kept getting fireballed, plus I was the only one to die against the great baggi and the Lagiacrus which was embarrassing. Also i think i got a little too obsessed with using bombs:lol

ill stop using them from now on if you want :) up for playing tonight?

Leezard

So I've finally bought the game. The Remote/nunchuk configuration was quite good actually, thanks again to the posters who told me about it.

I've just done a couple of 1* quests now, but I'll hopefully get some more time to play this weekend. :lol

Haunted

sillymonkey321 said:
armor crafting guy can now make a jaggi mask but you need a lot of zeny and i think new jaggi head parts.
ooooh

mash440 said:
He counters, every charge which looks like a standard up thrust. This is done by holding right shoulder and A which starts a charge, if hit during this, it will block and damage. It's confusing at first cause it looks like a charge attack.
:eek: :eek: That is not a charge attack? Holy shit, I've been playing the lance wrong all along (well, only used it a couple times for Barroth, but still).

Effect

Nisa65 said:
Won a free copy of this with the classic pro a few weeks back at a promotional event in the UK. I now have 3 copies of the game and 3 classic pros :D
DSC02005.jpg

Also tried to fight Jhen Mohran with a friend twice last night and once solo, failed miserably. Is it doable with 2 people at HR 30 or is it best to have at least 3 people fighting it?

Plushies. Didn't know they were selling those. Can those be bought in the US?

Haunted

demonkaze said:
Things like godbugs are good for money, also sell the materials that you won't be using much of anymore or that is easy to get, such as the Jaggi parts.
Well, is there no chance these materials won't pop up for a later weapon/armour again?

I have a finished Barroth armour and corresponding lance/SA, but I'm still holding on to my Barroth Ridges/Scalps/Shells because I'm afraid I might need some for a later weapon. You're saying I should sell sell sell? :p

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man this game is soooooooooo addicting. It might cause a divorce if I don't keep things under control :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PounchEnvy said:
I do suggest trying to get better armor if you can. It makes everything easier.

Yeah I realized that about halfway through the quest..

gotee12

schuelma said:
Man this game is soooooooooo addicting. It might cause a divorce if I don't keep things under control :lol
Yeah, I know. I got "the look" last night. Which meant I only got an hours worth of playtime last night...

Tenbatsu

Gino said:
Wow, that was a great video. I can't believe how good he is. He hardly takes any damage.

Do you have to time your blocks to right when they collide to not take any damage like he does?
That preset armor set have the skill guard +1 which reinforce his guarding ability. You can't do that with normal guarding. Still, that guy kicks ass, that quest is hard.

Haunted

I get that mix n matching with armour, jewels and charms is possible, but I've always gotten the best results by taking the bonuses for a full armour set (which are usually 3), then deactivating the negative bonus that comes with that full set with a jewel plus getting another one or two positives via a charm + the rest of the jewels. This gives me up to 5 positives and no negative bonuses at the same time.

But when I mix and match different armour types, I usually only get 2 or so bonuses with the rest hovering at +5 or +7.

Maybe it'll become more feasible with better armour giving different bonuses. (only have Rare2 armour so far)

botticus said:
Uh, wow. The Jaggis are a bit tougher online than offline.
About 4 times as tough, yes. :p

Just posting a reminder. I'll be on tonight at 6:30 CST to record yet more online adventures to turn them into a narrative for Monday's post. Also a slight schedule change, since we're doing a Friday Mario special, I won't be posting MH journals on Fridays. Look for me on the GAF server.

mclem

Haunted said:
About 4 times as tough, yes. :p

Does it always scale to the number of participants, so a 2-player Jaggi is twice as tough? Or is it always 4x, so 2 players taking one down should be proud?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my gunner to HR8 last night, need to grind out one more level to finish the lvl 1 quests. Really addicting game

Tenbatsu

mclem said:
Does it always scale to the number of participants, so a 2-player Jaggi is twice as tough? Or is it always 4x, so 2 players taking one down should be proud?
The difficulty is the same be it 1 or 4 players, hence the japanese like to do solo runs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I've decided I want the Steel Fire gun in addition to the Rathian Armor, so... yeah really need to grind some Rathians.

Anybody up for it tonight, say around around 9:00PM EST?

EDIT:
markot said:
How do I take the info of monsters?

>.< it just gives the controls with the wii mote not the ccpro...

No no. You have to use the wiimote.

Syril

markot said:
How do I take the info of monsters?

>.< it just gives the controls with the wii mote not the ccpro...

Even if you use the CC, you still need to click and drag with the remote.

Oh yeah, I'm like, one quality sponge away from upgrading my water sword to the ideal weapon for farming Barroth. After I get the journal piece out of the way, anyone wanna go hunt Royal Ludroths?

Nicktals

Banned
Syril said:
Even if you use the CC, you still need to click and drag with the remote.

No you don't.

There's an option to change it to using the d-pad. I still prefer the remote, because it's what i got used to, but there is an option to change it.

Some day I'll get to play with GAF when my HR is decent and I remember to write down my info. My time to play this game seems awfully limited compared to any other game I want to play. Haven't broken past the one star stuff online even. Doesn't help that my wife conveniently wants to use the TV whenever I want to play. Plus she hates all the townspeople's voices.

Has anyone else had a problem with ragequitters? Happened to me far too often this week- my favorite is when we're doing capture missions, and the clown that's already fainted and has all the bombs and traps quits right before the monster starts limping because they can't be bothered to move around a bit more instead of being a constant target. Wonderful.

That and gunners who pellet shot at point blank when I've already got the target paralyzed, making everyone waste their chances for free hits because the guy doesn't want to be bothered with aiming.

I'm shocked that I haven't been sent flying via uppercut yet. Did they remove that "feature"?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nicktals said:
No you don't.

There's an option to change it to using the d-pad. I still prefer the remote, because it's what i got used to, but there is an option to change it.

Heh, just for fun, it means the d-pad on the remote, not on the controller.

Top Bottom