• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware ends SP patches and content for ME Andromeda, multiplayer will continue

xrnzaaas

I guess we don't have much chance getting the remastered trilogy now, right? Come to think of it, with Mass Effect gone there is not one single AAA space opera RPG on the market any more.

EA's standing when it comes to remasters is really strange. Other publishers are releasing them left and right, including forgotten and cancelled franchises. Besides it's not like EA has to worry about reputation if they get accused of easy cash grabs. ;)

shimon

Welp, rip Mass Effect,probably my favorite series in gaming...I was very disappointed with the game (gave up on Elaaden,my last planet) and I'm sure we've all seen it coming. Doesn't change the fact that it's very sad when a series like that gets the boot...Maybe somewhere down the line ME will get a reboot although right now not looking very likely.

I just hope they won't do the same with Dragon Age next.

Kadayi

Banned
Pity. I didn't think it was a bad game at all (I wouldn't have finished if it wasn't), but it suffered from a little too much veneration for the old titles and subsequently didn't really establish its own footprint.

DJIzana

Can't wait for Anthem! (Seriously... I'm as hyped for this as much as I'm hyped for Granblue Fantasy Re: Link... and that's a lot!)

"We fucked up real bad.

We are cutting out losses on this one.

Sorry.

We're going to try really hard not to fuck up the next one.

Please forgive us and buy it."

- EA

EA's standing when it comes to remasters is really strange. Other publishers are releasing them left and right, including forgotten and cancelled franchises. Besides it's not like EA has to worry about reputation if they get accused of easy cash grabs. ;)

They said they are revisiting that policy because they didn't expect remastered to sell so well.

Still, months later, no formal change in policy announced.

Played the 10 hour PS4 demo and game was still quite the buggy mess.

Will maybe buy at £10 or so.
So sad to see Mass Effect die off in such a pitiful way.

They'll eventually do a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster.

It will sell well and suddenly they will be back in the Mass Effect business.

I suspect they've already got a secret remaster or two in the works after they said they were revisiting that policy a year or two ago.

Lakitu

st5fu
I consider myself a huge fan of Mass Effect but I didn't buy Andromeda. I feel bad but everything was pointing to a disaster of a game. I'm sure it has it's redeeming qualities but nowadays I don't have 60+ hours to spend on a game I'm not going to really enjoy so I made the decision to ignore it. Such a shame because the original trilogy is my favourite videogame trilogy and I desperately wanted Bioware to get it right. But they didn't... and this is the price I guess. Very sad...

Kadayi

Banned
They'll eventually do a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster.

Personally, if they were going to do anything I'd rather they did a complete series re-imagining versus a remaster. All three titles have their issues and simply putting a new coat of paint on them and shoving them out the door doesn't rectify those flaws. A lot of deep work is required to address those issues and in many ways, there's more scope to do that with a reimagining of the series premise from the ground up versus pushing out enhanced editions.

CryptiK

"We fucked up real bad.

We are cutting out losses on this one.

Sorry.

We're going to try really hard not to fuck up the next one.

Please forgive us and buy it."

- EA
They have shelved the franchise.

This is what happens when you give one of your biggest franchises to a shitty developer.

It makes you wonder how the people that worked on it got their jobs there.

redcrayon

But for some reason Dragon Ago received good reviews. Andromeda didn't. Can someone please explain why? I've only played Andromeda.
DA:I came out at the start of the gen where not a lot else was out that year, The Witcher III hadn't happened, people weren't getting tired of open-worlds yet, and the animation of the lead character wasn't immediately sent up in a series of articles and memes. DA:I wasn't great but compared to what else was available that year, it wasn't that bad either and it's flaws weren't as immediately visible.

Rymuth

Mass_Effect_3_%2528PC%2529_Ending_37.jpg

Someone should do something like this for the Pathfinder with the addition that you CAN'T continue to furher build the legend through DLC.

mbpm1

Its now one of my favorite games. Could be 2017 GOTY but better games like Mario Ody is coming.
Clearly we should not listen to your game opinions lol

I did end up coming up more positive on me:a than negative though. Or at least the ending was good. Not getting conclusions to things like quarian ark, that's a real kick in the face. I would have bought them

Sillverrr

Well, I guess Anthem will take over from Mass Effect going forward, albeit with original lore and a gameplay model based on Destiny. A shame as I am a fan of the sprawling single-player RPG, and the original Mass Effect trilogy did not disappoint me.

I wonder what they'll do with Dragon Age going forward? Presumably take one last stab at the single-player experience. At least that universe is still alive at this point in time - please don't screw it up Bioware. Anthem is not a proven hit yet, so I don't think you can afford to lose both of your existing IP's.

SirNinja

i dont think i've ever seen a game drop in price faster than andromeda. from $80 to $20 in 4 months.

Battleborn? It went from $60 to being in a $15 Humble Bundle just two and a half months after release, and now they've (unsuccessfully) gone with a limited F2P model.

No Man's Sky got better post-launch support than Andromeda. That speaks volumes.

Uh, NMS got incredible post-launch support (how many games do you know had entire ARGs just for a patch?); of course it's a better example than Andromeda's halfhearted "the story will continue, maybe, just not in the game itself" post-launch. Game's pretty damn good now, and Hello are still working on more stuff for it.

Springy

This is what I’m waiting for. No way I’m paying for the game directly knowing it ends on a cliffhanger that won’t be answered with a sequel or dlc.
It doesn't end on a cliffhanger. At least, if there are unanswered questions, they're not prominent. The story is concluded, there's celebration. The game doesn't wrap every small thread, because what series does? But, if you think it leaves it hanging Halo 2 style, you've been misinformed.

I wonder what they'll do with Dragon Age going forward?

I'm sure they'll be stung by the strong sales and game of the year awards that Dragon Age Inquisition got. This can only lead to them completely overhauling the game to appeal more to RPG fans of the original game.

Herne

Meh.

And given how much I loved the trilogy, having the above as my thoughts on the future of the series is so sad.

Dueck

Banned
And least ME had three good games that we can enjoy forever. It's certainly a better shake than Dragon Age got. An amazing start followed by two sub-Andromeda disasters. BioWare has really lost its touch. Their games feel like banal checklists most of the time... Even Andromeda was a cheap bootleg of the first ME, minus the personality, good writing, and credible enemy.

Tovarisc

They have shelved the franchise.

This is what happens when you give one of your biggest franchises to a shitty developer.

It makes you wonder how the people that worked on it got their jobs there.

Wasn't it mostly team of somewhat fresh faces with very little to no experience with projects in size of MEA? So they may have vision and skills for game development, but just not experience to lead project like this to good end which makes BW not putting any veteran talent in moronic.

masterkajo

I loved ME1, ME2(with some exceptions), hated ME3 and was indifferent about ME:A(never saw it as canon).

I hope Mass Effect will be on hiatus for some years and then gets rebooted with Shepard. I hope it follows the first game closely but with better graphics and controls. The second game should focus on preparing against the reaper thread(mostly everyone should believe you now) but should feature lots of the same characters and the third should be the actual war against the reapers where the preparations of the first two games matter. There should be hugely different story branches and endings in ME3 depending on the choices in all three games. Doesn't have to be a long game just incorporate your choices. Do it Bioware/EA! (Contact me, I will oversee the project if need be)

Audioboxer

Bioware has been on one hell of a slope downwards from some the iconic content they created in the past. EA hasn't helped, but a lot of the mismanagement and handling of Andromeda is on Bioware for who they had write scripts and develop it all. Kind of like Konami giving Silent Hill constantly to the wrong devs/individuals/project leads.

Thank the gaming Gods we have CD Projekt Red. Anthem looks like it'll be the typical case of "everything has to be MP" and "we need our Destiny". Flashy visuals are not getting me warmed up on current day Bioware and their hack writing/scripting and generic quests/SP.

prag16

Banned
Funny how some people thought EA and Bioware would (or could) turn the game around with patches and keep supporting the whole package for a while.
I don't recall anyone expecting that. And I'm probably the #2 apologist for the game on gaf. (2nd only to Mediking.)

A reboot is the last thing I want, with either galaxies

Everyone keeps saying 'reboot'.

When it returns in 6-10 years it won't be a reboot. It'll probably be back in the post-trilogy Milky Way so that some of the classic characters can make appearances even if the protagonist is someone new. And they'll probably ignore the synthesis nonsense.

While I really don't see them rebooting the series (if anything, I think it would just be a sequel to Andromeda, but this time made by the A team) I wouldnt mind a reboot. But, since it seems Bioware didn't have a clue about how to end a threat as massive as the Reapers in a GOOD, non-deus ex machina way, then maybe they could combine the original trilogy with a bit of Andromeda. Instead of the Reapers, use the Remnant. Make their whole, creating other alien races be the big mystery and terraforming machines be the big mystery or something like that, I don't know.

simmias

A wimper? This is more like a dying, wheezing, sick old man yelling for someone to call the police as he is choking on his own vomit kind of ending.

3 was a wimper. This is like salt in your eyes after a dose of pepper spray.

They literally did everything wrong. Why they even decided to make this game no one will ever know. It's almost like someone was just determined to make SOMETHING after the fuck ups with ME3.

And me I will probably now never play the series because it got so messed up.

Kinda how I feel about Dead Space. I really liked the first one. Started the second one but did not get very far. Just didn't really feel the vibe anymore, and I know 3 only got more action and shit tier storytelling.

I might actually complete 2 at some point though. Not sure Mass Effect 1 is updated enough to play through by itself. Does it have mods at all?
This post is strange. It reads like you haven't played any of the games, yet you are speaking as an authority on their quality.

Wulfram

Everyone keeps saying 'reboot'.

When it returns in 6-10 years it won't be a reboot. It'll probably be back in the post-trilogy Milky Way so that some of the classic characters can make appearances even if the protagonist is someone new. And they'll probably ignore the synthesis nonsense.

I certainly hope that's what they'd do. There's a lot of potential in the post-Reaper war Milky Way if you can get past the issues. But reboots seem to be popular nowadays

Shifty

I almost feel like it would have been better to simply let it fade away than make a PR statement about how it's ending with a whimper rather than a bang.

Like, just let it die. You've done enough.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How is tge multiplayer in this. Last time I heard people talk about uf tgere was a bunch of technical glitches and shit. Did they manage to fix all of that?

And just like that we lose the only AAA Sci-fi RPG... The market is wide open and yet no one seems to dive into it, I am truly sick and tired of fantasy RPGs.

Top Bottom